PDA

View Full Version : The Descent

Hellboy
08-08-2006, 08:52 PM
So has anyone seen or is planning to see the new horror film The Descent? Okay I know, its not really new considering it was released in the UK last year but it just made it's US debut over the weekend and I'm still reeling from it. I'm actually surprised there isn't a thread started about this film yet but I'm all to happy to start one myself as this is easily the best horror film I've seen this year.

Let me start off by saying this is not your average horror film. It avoids many of the cliches that usually plague this genre and instead delivers a frightening and unique experience and believe me as a fan of horror thats saying a lot. There is some genuine tension in this film and I can honestly say I've never felt a greater sense of claustrophobia than I did during a particular scene in this movie. I was squirming in my seat and I'm usually the guy who can seperate himself from the on-screen action long enough to not get uncomfortable but not here. No way. :nerv:

This is also one of the goriest and violent movies I've seen in recent memory. There are many cringe worthy scenes so if you have a weak stomach or a problem with graphic violence you might want to think twice about this one. This is what a horror movie should be IMO. A no-holds-barred edge of your seat thriller.

I feel compelled to at least mention the humanoid cave dwellers or "Crawlers" as they are referred to in the credits. The way they are slowly introduced and how they first emerge is executed perfectly. I don't want to get into specifics since they could be perceived as spoilers but let me assure you they are straight up scary as hell. :twisted:

Apparently the US version's ending differs from the original UK ending but as of yet I'm not exactly sure what was changed only that it was darker, which hardly seems possible. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it though when the DVD arrives.

SSG horror fans (you know who you are) SEE THIS MOVIE!!! :yes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM
HB- I caught the flick last night and really enjoyed it. It was really intense and i also felt really claustrophobic during several scenes. And the gore was fantastic. People in my theater kept yelping and turning their heads; I thought this girl behind us was going to puke or pass out. It definately was a relentless horror flick.

But yeah, the first "real" time we get a glimpse of the Crawlers (when he meets the group) was done so well. I jumped.

i'll send you a link to the original ending. I think it works better than the US ending.

Hellboy
08-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the link Guyute. I agree the UK ending does work better. Its quite appropriate and feels more in line with the rest of the film.

I'm wondering if there were any other changes made to the US release? I wouldn't mind some more scenes considering the running time was just over 90 min. if I recall.

UKWildcat
08-13-2006, 12:38 AM
I just watched this movie tonight, although it was the UK version and not the US version. I thought it was a pretty good movie. I will definitely agree with the claustrophobic elements of the film that you guys speak of. I am claustrophobic and some parts were just extremely uncomfortable and nearly unbearable. ;) The Crawlers were very well done as well was the gore. Besides the claustrophobic elements the only scene that really bothered me was the broken leg scene. I love gore, as many of you know, but broken bones in both real life and in movies bother me. :o I'd take a severed head over a broken bone any day. lol

I can't wait to check out the US dvd release so I can see what "our" ending is all about, even though I have a pretty good idea.

I definitely give the movie a big :thumbsup:

Devo
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm curious about what the US ending is. I must check if the UK dvd has any alternate endings.

Its a good film but not one I need to watch again hurriedly. I remember thinking that the vendetta the main character had against one of the others was a serious overreaction. Also the crawlers kind of lost their scariness once you realised there was loads of them and they could be killed easily enough. The claustrophobia was good though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-29-2006, 04:53 PM
It's hitting DVD in the states, December 26th! What a good way to celebrate the birth of Christ: a movie that has great gobs of gore, is scary as hell, and has a bleak ending!

I'll post specs when they're announced. :thumbsup:

Hellboy
09-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Definitely looking forward to seeing this again and sharing it with others. If for no other reason than to see how uncomfortable they get during the claustrophobic scenes. :twisted:

Hopefully both endings will be included on the DVD.

Turbowars
10-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I heard that the film has a taste of THE THING in it. I don't remember where I heard it though. Something about the Music and the director was interviewed and was ****ed when his work was compared to the thing. I guess he figures he was being accused of being a copycat. I haven't seen it yet, but I want too.