PDA

View Full Version : World Trade Center

General_Grievous
08-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I saw this today. It's an emotionally powerful film along the lines of "Schindlers List". It tells the story of Port Authority officers John McLoughlin (Nic Cage) and Will Jimeno (Michael Pena) and their families. The cops become trapped in the rubble when the first tower collapses and struggle to survive. The movie isn't about hatred towards the attackers, but rather a sense of unity as a nation. And I'm grateful this film was done with respect and not Hollywooded up like "Pearl Harbor".

Jargo
08-09-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't see any point in making a movie about this when the actual footage and documented eyewitness statements say enough. Why would anyone want to make money of a disaster of that scale? It's a movie that didn't need making.

General_Grievous
08-09-2006, 09:43 PM
I didn't see this as an attempt to bank on a disaster. I saw a tribute to those who lost and gave their lives on 9/11. But I can see your point. The aforementioned "Pearl Harbor" was made only for its box office returns.

DarthBrandon
08-09-2006, 10:52 PM
I didn't see this as an attempt to bank on a disaster. I saw a tribute to those who lost and gave their lives on 9/11. But I can see your point. The aforementioned "Pearl Harbor" was made only for its box office returns.

The only thing I can say about this is that Hollywood DOES NOT make movies to loose money, they make movies to make money (BOR). I've seen enough of 911 (truly sad day) to last me a lifetime & I have no intention of seeing it again on the big screen. IMHO it is just like MR. DADDYPANTS said, it's a movie that did not need making right now. (not for at least for another 50 plus years)

Kidhuman
08-09-2006, 11:53 PM
I don't see any point in making a movie about this when the actual footage and documented eyewitness statements say enough. Why would anyone want to make money of a disaster of that scale? It's a movie that didn't need making.

I completely agree with you on this MDP. I cringed when I saw it being made.

General_Grievous
08-10-2006, 12:30 AM
So did anyone else besides me actually SEE the movie?

Darth Jax
08-10-2006, 07:31 AM
i won't be seeing this movie, just like i passed on flight 93.

anything else i might have to say about this would require this being moved to the pit.

El Chuxter
08-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't plan on seeing it, and I'm considering not even watching Ghost Rider next year since Mr Cage is involved in that, too. I won't go into too much detail, but I've said before that I think it's far too soon for any films on this matter, tasteful or not.

Rocketboy
08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I still think it's far too soon to be making any films with Nicolas Cage.

DarthBrandon
08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
i won't be seeing this movie, just like i passed on flight 93.

anything else i might have to say about this would require this being moved to the pit.

I'd like to know what that means, P.M. me your thoughts on that one.

Tycho
08-10-2006, 08:25 PM
So did anyone else besides me actually SEE the movie?

I just returned from seeing the movie. The theater was mostly empty, but I went to a 1pm show.

Meanwhile, I felt I should see the film before I made any decision about whether the movie should be made or not.

It was worth it, and worth presenting!

I am not a Nicholas Cage fan - and quite the opposite - and this is the best movie I've seen him star in.

The movie was not sensationalized at all and it was very well done and really felt real. Michael Pena did an incredible job, too.

The ex-Marine volunteer was quite a fanatic, but his being there saved two lives that may have never made it out otherwise.

Darth Jax, what you might say that would knock this into the Rancor Pit: I likely already agree with you! I think your unspoken point was made.

This movie focused on none of that though and did not pursue laying blame. That was not what the picture was about. It was a survival story for the family members involved.

I'd actually buy this one and add it to my video library.

El Chuxter, you have political views very similar to my own, so seriously consider giving this movie a chance. I don't think it changes or even challenges our viewpoint at all - it's not that sort of movie.

DarthQuack
08-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't want to see this at all, especially as a New Yorker, it would hit home to me too much.

General_Grievous
08-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm a New Yorker, in fact I live about a half hour away from NYC. It hit close to home for me, but it should also hit close to home for all Americans. But as Tycho said, it doesn't provoke blame. And there is a strong sense of unity and hope laced throughout it. Oliver Stone wasn't screwing around. He did all of the lost souls and heroes of 9/11 justice with this film, just as Steven Spielberg did with the Holocaust.

2-1B
08-10-2006, 11:52 PM
What JT said in another thread about all these 9/11 movies being crass.

I am not a Nicholas Cage fan - and quite the opposite - and this is the best movie I've seen him star in.

Even better than Gone in 60 Seconds ? lol

JimJamBonds
08-10-2006, 11:56 PM
What JT said in another thread about all these 9/11 movies being crass.

Even better than Gone in 60 Seconds ? lol

What about Raising Arizona?

Kidhuman
08-10-2006, 11:58 PM
What about Raising Arizona?

And Con Air?

Tycho
08-11-2006, 12:19 AM
I only saw Con Air out of any of those. I actually bought it, as I do like that movie for it's funny, cornball approach. However, Nick Cage came off as a dorky Bruce Willis wanna-be who only got his roles because Francis Ford Coppola is his father.

In World Trade Center, he proved otherwise. Took him long enough, too.

2-1B
08-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Franny is his uncle.

I liked Con Air for his mullet.

General_Grievous
08-11-2006, 02:32 AM
In World Trade Center, he proved otherwise. Took him long enough, too.
Yeah, but IMO, he was greatly outacted by Michael Pena. Maggie Gyllenhall (sp?) was pretty good too.

Tycho
08-11-2006, 03:59 AM
I agree that Michael Pena was awesome.

I don't know which wife Maggie Gyllenhall played. If she was the younger wife (Michael Pena's) - then yes, that actress did a great job!

General_Grievous
08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
I agree that Michael Pena was awesome.

I don't know which wife Maggie Gyllenhall played. If she was the younger wife (Michael Pena's) - then yes, that actress did a great job!

Yep, Maggie played the younger wife.

Rocketboy
08-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Saw this tonight.

"United 93" was far better, perhaps because the big names in "WTC" took me out of the movie. "United 93" had no big actors and more of a documentary feel, making the film feel that much more real and powerful.

With "World Trade Center" I think I was too aware of the actors rather than the characters.
Nicolas Cage was as horrible as always.
Maggie Gyllenhall was just OK. I really don't think she's that good of an actress.
While Michael Pena was good, I kept thinking about him in "Crash," and how much better he was in that.

The brightest spot was Maria Bello. I didn't realize it was her until the credits. Fantastic job.