PDA

View Full Version : My Brother has Passed Away (Vulcantouch)

RandallFlagg
08-09-2006, 11:54 PM
My name is Ken.
Monday morning the 7th, my Brother, Jean, passed away.
This is hard. I've not actually typed this out before, other than to the mods of this board.
I guess that this would fall under, "Taking care of the affairs," section of this type of thing.
I ran into this site after a Google search of the one screen name I know he used: Vulcantouch. I also know that he's a big collector of the toys you folks discuss here, and I saw that his last post was Sunday late afternoon/early evening. Those were the last words he had here, and the last I could find in my searches. We didn't live together -I have a Wife and 2 Sons. I have closed his PayPal account and will work on his Ebay and Amazon accounts soon. If there is a transaction to or from him, please let me know on this thread or PM and I'll see what I can do (I have no clue about these toys).
So if you all are wondering where he is, or if someone asks, he went with God.

I registered my account here to simply get the word out to those who knew him. I work a lot of hours and might not get back here for a few days to reply to any responses on this thread. However, I will direct our Mother's attention to it when I am able. Although I believe she already knows.

Thank you for reading.

--Ken C.

Kidhuman
08-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Wow, my condolensces to you and yours Ken, If you dont mind me asking:what happened? Was he sick? This comes as a shock to me and many here.

RandallFlagg
08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Wow, my condolensces to you and yours Ken, If you dont mind me asking:what happened? Was he sick? This comes as a shock to me and many here.
Thanks.
It was to us as well. He was sick.

2-1B
08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
:( :( :( :( :(

My sympathies to you and your family Ken. :(

I got a PM from you about this today and please understand how badly I wanted to doubt this and find this to be some internet joke, I didn't know what to make of it.

Jean was moving along with shipping out items from Marilyn's collection, in fact I received my purchase on Monday. :(

DarthBrandon
08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
My condolences and prayers to you and your family, he will be missed by all around here. Again sorry for your loss.

RandallFlagg
08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Jean was moving along with shipping out items from Marilyn's collection, in fact I received my purchase on Monday. :(
Glad you got the shipment. If you happen to hear from anyone else who might be waiting for something else, please let them know what happened.
Thanks for your kind words.

RandallFlagg
08-10-2006, 12:11 AM
My condolences and prayers to you and your family, he will be missed by all around here. Again sorry for your loss.
Thank you.

Kidhuman
08-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Glad you got the shipment. If you happen to hear from anyone else who might be waiting for something else, please let them know what happened.
Thanks for your kind words.

Anyone who was awaiting a package will see this thread.

RandallFlagg
08-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Anyone who was awaiting a package will see this thread.
Great. Thanks.

RandallFlagg
08-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Well, I'll be back on tomorrow morning. These Sons of mine wore me out today.

Thanks again, all.

figrin bran
08-10-2006, 12:21 AM
my deepest sympathies to you and your family Randall Flagg

Blue2th
08-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your brother Ken, our loss too. Rest in peace Vulcantouch.

LTBasker
08-10-2006, 03:56 AM
I can't believe he's gone. He never even said anything about being sick, I can't even register it being a possibility... He's brought so much life into this section and was always so kind, I think of him as a very good friend and then to learn this, I can't even begin to describe how devastating this is. To say he will be missed is putting it mildly, things will never be the same without him around.

If you don't mind my asking, what was he sick with?

sicqnus
08-10-2006, 06:30 AM
If it is a HOAX, it is one of very bad taste... :sad:

dindae
08-10-2006, 08:35 AM
My condolences on your loss.

vulcantouch-mom
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
This is vulcantouch-mom. It is no hoax. I found him and have been so stressed and confused getting things done, the best I could do was sign up as vulcantouch-mom and get word to a couple of people--including Marilyn's husband, Monday. If you want to reach me, please send a pm and I'll respond. This includes anyone. RandallFlagg is feeling it, but holding up a strong front to handle things. His only brother is gone, my first son and fragile soul. I'm attempting to have services set for next Wednesday. JediTricks is the only one I've successfully contacted.

sicqnus
08-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Jesus !
He was one of the best people around here. Always prompt to help and share his great knowledge. A fund of knowledge about our passion and a really great guy. I'm devastated.
First Marilyn, now him. It's a great loss to all of us here.
I for all can tell you we lost a real friend.

My sincere and deepest condolences.

vulcantouch-mom
08-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Sorry, I'd intended this to go to you, Sicqnus. Please read my post following that of dindae.

2-1B
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
This is vulcantouch-mom. It is no hoax. I found him and have been so stressed and confused getting things done, the best I could do was sign up as vulcantouch-mom and get word to a couple of people--including Marilyn's husband, Monday. If you want to reach me, please send a pm and I'll respond. This includes anyone. RandallFlagg is feeling it, but holding up a strong front to handle things. His only brother is gone, my first son and fragile soul. I'm attempting to have services set for next Wednesday. JediTricks is the only one I've successfully contacted.

Ms. Wright, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. :( :( :(

My name is Tony and you left me a voicemail this morning, I just received it. I am the one whose check you found with my phone number on it, PLEASE do not concern yourself with anything other than your own well being and that of your family right now. :(

(I sent 2 checks to Jean and he cashed the one that was made out to him for postage of Marilyn's Collection and the other check was for Marilyn's husband Mike - I assume that's how you found me. Jean had already sent my stuff and I received it Monday.)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with SSG at this time but please do not be concerned about any packages or checks that you found, you shouldn't be worried about any of that. Everyone here is very understanding. :(

Please take care. :(

SirSteve
08-10-2006, 10:33 AM
My sincerest sympathies to you and your family. A true loss to our communty.

El Chuxter
08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm stunned. This comes as a tremendous shock. My condolences and prayers go to both of you and your family. Jean will be sorely missed around these parts.

:cry:

vulcantouch-mom
08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm a bit confused, Caesar, I found your $80 check and 3 $20-dollar bills. I presumed they were to go to Mr. Guyote, as well. Plese let me know.

I'm VERY thankful you've received your items. And, yes, you are correct - I called using the phone number on the check. I'm going to let Mike know shortly. Please get hold of me, if you need to. I'm online all day, usually, and check frequently for e-mails.

Thanks again,

carolyn

mabudonicus
08-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Terrible news, just awful. I wish to add my sincere condolences as well. I really enjoyed Jean's style of posting- it may have been difficult to read for many, but I really dug the presentation- tho we never had any "proper correspondence" I still am stunned and saddened by this, as he truly was a kind soul.

I am quite sorry to all who's lives have been affected by this. May the Force be with Jean, you truly will be missed

2-1B
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Carolyn, yes the $80 check is for Mike Guyote and I sent Jean a separate check for $15 for shipping since he paid for the postage. I know he cashed it because I had checked my bank account on line last week and found it listed there.

As for the $20 bills, I have no idea what that is for, it was not sent by me.

I will not return your call so as to not interrupt you during this devastating time...but please do not be concerned about any of this right now. :(

tony :(

jeddah
08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
This is a dreadful shock. We will surely miss the lack of irreverent, teasing posts just as much as the bounty he finds for people. I recall how he and I met back in 1997 in the days of the GalooBBS. We had an argument about heresy and ended up arguing about Akhenaten.:grin:

The complete surprise of this news is in keeping with his style of keeping his personal life personal. Naturally, few people would know he was ill.

I suggest we continue his "Fashion report mms...and your dateline" thread in the spirit that he did.

jeddah

Darth Instigator
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
wow, my condolences, i saw the name around but didn't know him.

Banthaholic
08-10-2006, 11:54 AM
My deepest sympathy to Vulcantouch’s family. This is truly a loss to our community. I did not know Jean outside of these boards, but I have enjoyed his original posting style and have admired his vast knowledge of this hobby. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to share these boards with him and shall miss seeing him around these parts.

My prayers are with you all. I know that somewhere he is looking down with all of the accessories he ever could have wanted and an early preview of titanium yet to come.

sergiurusu
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
My deepest condolences! It is such a terrible loss for the family as for ourselves. It is still such a surprise for me, since I knew he liked jokes and thought this might be one. But it seems it is not a joke, but a very sad news for the whole community... Another great friend is lost to the eternity. May the Force be with us all. Dumnezeu sa-l odihneasca.

SWAFMAN
08-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I just learned of this abruptly and accidentally, not via the forum, which has doubled the impact. At some point very soon, I hope a SSG community-wide expression of respect and sympathy is organized and sent to the Clarke family. I stand ready to organize or assist in this endeavor. SSG leadership, contact me if you wish to pursue.

vulcantouch-mom
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Thank you SOOO much, SWAFMAN, for the kind words. I spoke w/his brother, this morning, after seeing the memorial avatar, kindly done by JediMaster and would love to have a stone done w/his avatar and "May the Force Be With You", however know no stonecutters, have no income, as yet, and will have to wait for 2 months before doing anything, per the burial assistance requirements. Anyone wanting to do so, may write me at 4985 Meade Street Denver CO 80221-1031, or call me at (303) 455-4968. Or, e-mail me at round_grandma@msn.com .

Darth Instigator
08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Vulcantouch-mom, the cost of a stone is heavy, I know from burying a son too a few years ago. I had help and received donations, then I ordered one from a headstone making company and it took about 5 months to get it. They customized it to my specifications. Maybe the funeral home can provide you with that info. Its tough when you have to go it alone but maybe seeking help from your church or if he was a veteran or member of some club that has a fund for these purposes. Thats how I was able to do it. Good luck.

RJarvis
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
I have to admit I am totally and completely shocked by this news. I'm sitting here holding in my hand a toy I received from Jean that originally came from Marilyn's collection. It's just a simple piece of plastic that I had long wanted. And now that I have it I'd give it and just about anything else to have back both of the people who previously claimed ownership.

My first encounter with Jean-vt was about 10-ish years ago on the Galoob BBS. We butted heads a couple of times here and there, but in the end, when it truly counted, Jean repeatedly proved himself to me to be one of the most fair, even-handed, ethical, honest, kind and considerate individuals one could hope to meet.

To vulcantouch-mom, RandallFlagg and the rest of the family, I and my family will continue to lift you up in prayer. I truly count myself as blest for having known Jean for so long and so brief a time.

Ross W. Jarvis

JediTricks
08-10-2006, 02:48 PM
The loss of our friend Jean, who we knew as vulcantouch aka VT, is an overwhelming and sad one, and our deepest condolences go out to his loved ones.

Some of us here have known him on the internet for nearly a decade, stemming back to his incursions into the Galoob Buzz Board which actually were attempts to keep the Buzz Board community going so it wouldn't be closed, this was done at the request of someone in the know - that was the sort of thing VT reveled in doing, he didn't mind playing the heel and never getting the glory so long as his task was fulfilled. Once the Buzz Board was gone, some of us found our way here, and Jean was the one to take over the Micro Machines forum and turn it into his public home base for the past 6 years or so - despite any protests against him doing so ;) . His posts rarely contained capital letters unless he wanted to make a tiny statement within the broader context by capitalizing key letters in the middle of words for emphasis or acronyms, he shortened words sometimes to being unintelligible simply because he believed in saving a few extra bits of harddisk space and bandwidth, and spoke with a unique written language style that somehow was both logical and flowingly artistic at the same time - you always knew when you were reading a VT post. After the passing of another of our long-time collecting friends and fellow Buzz Boarder, Marilyn aka r2dee2 (or "Dee" as Jean used to call her) last year, VT took on the daunting task of cataloging and distributing her vast collection to the friends she wanted it to go to, and by doing so he remained a stable reminder of a dear departed friend.

Here on the forums, 2 of Jean's biggest threads were quite large even when few others participated, he was happy to express himself and let others read his thoughts. His movie comments thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=2216
and his toys-as-artistic comments photo thread:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=356

Jean rarely ventured outside of our Micro Machines section, but when he did, it was with gusto - whether it was to show off a custom he made that used parts so rare nobody else would dare try it, or use his unique type of language to show parallels between science fiction and real world socio-political issues, or describe movie after movie that he just watched even when not a single other person had heard of it, he covered a lot of territory. Jean would print out the threads he was most active in and read them in his daily life, formulating his responses in coffeehouses, he took his foruming pretty seriously yet still seemed to have fun with it. He built up a great network of characters both here and elsewhere doing so.

Jean had a very deep commitment to fairness in collecting, his anti-scalping policy was among the most rigid anybody could ever imagine and in his dealings he continuously put his money where his mouth was in that regard, diligently putting together equitable deals that nobody else could ever have pulled off, ensuring no party was paying a penny more than necessary. Jean's trading spanned all corners of the globe, every civilized continent in the world has had some collecting dealings with Vulcantouch - from Asia to Europe to Australia. Jean would bargain hunt for months for a particular item for a fellow collector, he refused to let others give in to the outrageous aftermarket prices that plague collecting, and more often than not would eventually come up with some insanely good deal.

Jean collected in a manner different from anybody else, he enjoyed the minutiae and aesthetics of these small toys and sometimes would pick up pieces based on that alone. He was heavily into the technology in science fiction, some of his Star Wars figure purchases would be to get that figure's helmet and breather control unit, then he'd trade away the whole rest of the figure. He'd also put together his own custom amalgamations based on criteria none of us would ever imagine, ranging from pure aesthetics to reminding him of something from another franchise to the color of the day. And he wanted to experience those things in person, photographs of a tiny little accessory weren't enough for him, if he knew someone who wanted it he'd track it down and get it for them on the condition that he get to open the package and take a test drive, not a month ago he got very excited when distributing Marilyn's Action Fleet Trade Federation Landing Craft - even though it was a toy released 6 years ago, he had never seen the miniature MTTs inside in person and finally got to experience them, he marveled at their quality. The smaller the item and more detailed it was, the happier he was with it.

VT had this geometric shape he drew on almost every package he sent most of us, and quite a while ago, he asked me to make him an avatar of it, I have poor artistic skills but I put together the lines as cleanly as possible in the colors he asked for - I thought he'd balk at my less-than-stellar interpretation but was surprised when he was thrilled with the finished product, which he continued to use as his forums avatar until his passing.

You might find it odd of me to go on and on about Jean's collecting and forums activity at the news of his death, as the internet and toy collecting are seen by most people as a childish distraction, but there was more to it than that - through our toy collecting hobby community, we made lasting friendships and opened our minds to new ways of viewing the world, even if we never met in person we knew we had kindred spirits which bound us together, and it is this that defines the context in which we knew Jean.

I tend to think of everybody I meet in the forums as being like myself, and never was this more simultaneously true and false than with VT. Oftentimes, when we come across forumites we don't know well, we tend to think of them as just names on a screen, but with VT there's no doubt in my mind that even those who only came across his posts on rare occasion recognized that there was a real person there, a true individual.

Vulcantouch was artistic, logical, networking, frustrating, irreverent, stalwart, anti-sentimental, determined, opinionated, unselfish, equitable, confusing, loyal, overbearing, thoughtful, experimental, inappropriate, cultured, helpful, private, disciplined, honest, and at times both curt and expressive - in short, Jean was unique. Although I never met him in person, I've communicated with him via forums and email for nearly a decade and consider him a true friend, one whose impact will not be lost on myself or our group, and his passing saddens me greatly and lessens us all.

Kidhuman
08-10-2006, 03:15 PM
JT, that was a great Eulogy of sorts and summed him up perfectly.

VT-mom - my condolences to you and yoursa on the departing of Jean. He will never be forgotten in my mind.

Tycho
08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Let me follow with everyone else in expressing their sympathies. I understand this kind of loss - and the shock when something unexpected like this happens - and all too well I'm afraid.

I'm so sorry for your loss Carolyn, Randall.

JON9000
08-10-2006, 08:06 PM
That was really nicely put, JT. Peace, VT.

Warstar
08-10-2006, 09:08 PM

I've replied to a bunch of other threads here and saved this one for last, thinking it was probably VT reaching out and trying to announce and possibly help in the closure of affairs for another fellow collector...

I'm totally in shock and at a severe loss for words.

I'll have to post later- I'm in severe denial.

This can't be happening...

EDIT: Me and VT in 2001...

Me, VT and Marilyn in 2001...I can't believe this...

Bobby Fett
08-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I'll miss you Boss.

bobafrett
08-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Though I never met Jean aka vulcantouch, this comes as quite a shock to my soul. This is another fine member of this community as well as the people whos lives he may have touched in the world. It's so hard to believe he is gone.

My sincerest condolences to VT's family. May you find strength, in this difficult time.

Barry AKA Bobafrett

dr_evazan22
08-10-2006, 10:43 PM
-vt-mom and randallflagg-this was very stunning, sad news to learn. please know that you both, and especially vt, are in my thoughts. doing what your son, and bro, was doing for our communtiy (getting dee's collection distributed to other collectors who would appreciate it, having proceeds donated to the hospice) says a tremendous amount about vt's character. doing the same for others while you yourself are ill -and not mentioning it- multiplies that character.
-im very sry for your loss

-jt- they were very nice words you spoke jt. ty

2-1B
08-11-2006, 12:35 AM
JT - that was a very well written tribute.

Warstar - I'm sorry for you as well, especially since you knew both dee and VT on a personal level.

How old was VT ?

vulcantouch-mom
08-11-2006, 12:52 AM
My son had celebrated his 38th birthday on April 27. He was given a party at a close friend's house that included Mom n me, several close friends, and lots of Mexican food and - are you ready for this? - a small sheetcake-size pan of tiramisu!

I took a few pictures and will be attempting to post them, among others, on this website. I'll need help - have never done this before.

carolyn aka vulcantouch-mom

plasticfetish
08-11-2006, 01:51 AM
Just got home from work a little while ago, and just spotted this. I'm completely stunned...

I've been loitering around this place for a few years. Not as long as some, and not nearly as long as vulcantouch I know... but his screen name, his "bounty hunter" and "mm fashion reports" threads, his written voice "both logical and flowingly artistic at the same time" (nice JT) have always been a big part of what makes this place unique to me.

I will sincerely miss him, and offer my condolences to his family. (Thanks for taking the time to post here by the way.)

-Shawn (plasticfetish)

kool-aid killer
08-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Im sorry to hear of your familiy's loss. VT truly was a one in a million person. God bless you.

darthvyn
08-11-2006, 08:57 AM
wow. i'm stunned by this... so unexpected.

JT, your e-ulogy was very moving, and very well-written... i was never really in direct contact with VT, but always enjoyed his lyrical posting style. that's one thing that he's left for us - it's very hard to express personality on message boards, but his personality is ALL over SSG - bits and bytes of him live on here.

to all of vulcantouch's family: we all feel your loss at this time.

JimJamBonds
08-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about has happened Ken.

Mike aka JJB #2.

Warstar
08-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Well. Now that the initial shock has wore off, and that I have contacted Carolyn directly, I think I can post here. JT said it all and then some, but, since I knew Jean personally, and I will miss him greatly, I figured there's some things I can still say that were missed. I think I'll share some memories about him- that's about all I can handle and do at this point.

Jean was the most eccentric individual I have had the pleasure of calling "friend" that I have ever known to date. When I first met him at the Fourth Story in the Tattered Cover book store in Denver, I was surprised that he didn't take his headphones off when I got there and started talking to him. He could hear me just fine, and he never had any trouble with keeping conversation, but his headphones never came off. At first, I thought it was kinda' rude, really, but I grew to learn that Jean had a constant soundtrack for life, and it reflected the day or his mood. Maybe it was like being in a movie to him- I don't really know. What I do know is that his views on collecting, Star Wars in general (this was back in 2000-2001- so post Episode 1 and pre-Episode 2), and politics were dang fun to talk about. We spent 4 or 5 hours that first day in the Fourth Story just gabbing away about nothing. I asked him what he did for a living and he dodged a direct answer and just said he helped people who needed it. It was very "A-Team" of him, but I came to expect nothing less from him.

We had lunch a few times at the Tattered Cover, with Marilyn as you can see from the photo, and he also met my good collecting friend Jason (whom I introduced to him). We had some good times...

Jean, Marilyn and I also met up at a few Star Wars Fan Club clearance sales, toom and those were fun as well. Jean looked like a kid in the candy store- even with his headphones :)

I remember one particular time where Jean, Marilyn, myself and Baal Jr. (I can never remember his real name) went to Baal Jr's house and saw in person that HUGE colelction many of you remember on Dee's site. I was there the very day those pictures were taken :) I was astonished at the sheer monetary value of Baal Jr.'s collection, and I can tell you there might have been some shadiness involved on the procurement of all of it, BUT it was all for the love of the toys themselves.

Until meeting Jean and seeing Baal Jr.'s collection, I had only thought of toy collections and how they related to the the movies they were based on, and I never really mixed my collections up for any kind of aesthetic feel or any other value for the toys as other than trophies of a sort. My Star Wars remained displayed separate from my Spawns- I bought 1 one of everything to open and 1 of everything to close. Little did I know back in 2001 I was very close to quitting completist collecting of the major action figure lines, simply because I started looking at toys a bit differently, partially thanks to Baal Jr. and Jean.

While it was fun to have everything, displaying it all became a chore to me and was no longer any kind of fun. I began to think differently after seeing Baal Jr.'s Heaven and Hell displays, and seeing Jean's continued eccentric mixing of Micromachines based on color and time of day above all else. Jean didn't even consider the $$$ worth of any of his toys- he saw colors, shapes, and light- he didn't look at his toys as Money or effort in any way shape or form. Baal Jr. even gave me an Action Fleet Aliens Dropship- literally GAVE one to me- he had something like 30 of them- for no cost, trade or anything else- he just saw how badly I wanted it (and I had wanted it for a long time at that point but could not afford the $100+ they went for back then), and he picked up his best one and handed it to me. I still treasure it to this day, and will never forget the generosity of Baal Jr. Jean just knew and attracted people like that.

Anyway, thanks to Jean, I began to look to look at my collection differently. No longer did I really need to have everything, so combine Jean and Baal Jr.'s aesthetics, along with me meeting Todd McFarlane and seeing him becoming what he hated, I decided to stop collecting everything in 2001 and only get the pieces I liked or wanted, rather, than getting EVERYTHING in a toy line. I started exploring "Black and White", which is a recurring theme in my current displayed collections), as well as Original and Repaints (like the 2 Unicron planet paint jobs in the Transformers line, etc.).

One of the last times I saw Jean was at Starfest in 2001. I had literally flown into Denver after having visited my last grandparent on her deathbed (she passed on the very next day), and I went to the con that night to meet Jean, Marilyn, Baal Jr. and a couple other collectors. I had had a rough couple of days in Seattle, and was bushed, tired, and somewhat sad. Jean, Marilyn, Baal Jr. and the rest cheered me up considerably with their irreverent humor, style, and above all, friendship. We chatted the night away about toys and movies and the evil scalpers in the dealers room, constantly bashing their apparent and near blood-thirsty greed. I'll never forget that night- I know Marilyn had a picture of us all someplace on her old. site from that con for a while.

Moving on...

I hate to make the following transition here but it must be made :p. I started selling my collection seriously in 2002, and Jean and I went head-to-head on differing opinions about how and why I was selling. He always thought I should sell my stuff for what I paid for it and no more. Never did he truly understand that I couldn't do that, simply because some of the things I paid $10 for sell for $.02 on Ebay, and that was and is my primary mode of selling. Even JediTricks has reminded me that it's not about selling and making money, it's about letting go, and I sometimes forget that when it comes to selling my old stuff. However, I reluctantly did started selling everything- mostly because of money since I had moved to Montana and was attending Film School, and, admittedly, there was a little greed involved and a small sense of "I deserve more since I went through HELL for some of these."

However, to this day, Jean was the only man who could actually make me feel guilty for selling my collection. I saw his wonderful, simple point of view regarding toys as a means of joy and no more, and was jealous that he hadn't spent years of time and money toiling to get his collection (of course, my collection still is considerably bigger than his ;)). I felt bad and even still do when my toys sell above retail, but I let them go for that simply to make up for the ones I couldn't give away. At least I try justifying my sales like that. Thinking of what Jean would say if read that makes me smile and cringe all at the same time. There was a difference of opinion when it came to selling between Jean and I, but our friendship and comaraderie from my pre-selling era glossed over our differences, and I wish I could say he was nothing but nice to me afterward but he and I both had our moments ;)

In fact, we had a LOT of moments. But I always enjoyed still coming to SirSteve's and knowing he'd be there, bragging about finding some obscure CD or posting pics of his MicroMachines that, if you get past the fact that they're toys and really LOOK at the pics, they truly are the product of a genuinely creative mind. Jean said he had all of his pics backed up someplace- I hope that back up is found and preserved. Sure some of his pics were better than others, but it's more important that he took them, and that by doing so he shared his view of the world through photos of his toys and the places of his life.

Did I mention he had a very dry sense of humor? Well he did. And I'll miss him for that, too.

Anyway, I am rambling here, but it's easy to do. There's no easy way for me to accept that he's gone, especially after all of the circumstances.

Let me simply say I'll miss Jean- "VT-" heh- I called him that in person too. :) The world of collecting in our part of the internet world truly is diminished with his loss, but we should always remember him as someone who loved doing what he wanted, and that he was generous as well as fair when he was called on by others.

He wouldn't want me to gush like I am, so I think I'll wind down now. I'll never forget him. I want to take a picture for him, so I think I will this weekend. I even know which MicroMachine I'll take it of, for I wouldn't even have had the ship if I hadn't have met Jean (and it's not the Aliens Dropship ;)). Hopefully, I'll do the photo some justice.

The only other things I wish I could have in the photo is a pot of Indian Gunmetal Tea, a full cup and a saucer, and the view of Cherry Creek Mall through the darkened glass of The Fourth Story cafe in Denver.

And maybe a picture of Jean's nose curling up every time I ordered a reuben. :D

Fairwell friend wherever ye fair. I'll miss you more than I can ever say.

Kidhuman
08-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Wonderful post Warstar.

xman2000
08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
I just found out about Jean from my friend Richard Sanchez.I did not know Jean that well but the few times I saw him I had a very fun time and laughed a lot with him. I met him with Richard at the Bookend Cafe in Boulder and we started talking about movies and he would email me every once in a while about movies and what was going on at Richard's theater. I also was at Richard's house for Jean's birthday party and he brought some very funny DVD's for us to watch. I also met his mother and grandmother at the party and I wish to send out my condolences to them and the rest of his family. May he be where no man has gone before and the force be with him. :(

xman2000
08-11-2006, 04:53 PM
My son had celebrated his 38th birthday on April 27. He was given a party at a close friend's house that included Mom n me, several close friends, and lots of Mexican food and - are you ready for this? - a small sheetcake-size pan of tiramisu!

I took a few pictures and will be attempting to post them, among others, on this website. I'll need help - have never done this before.

carolyn aka vulcantouch-mom

Vulantouch- Mom,

I was at that party and I met you there and I am so sorry for your loss and I really had a fun time with Jean (aka vulcantouch) at the party watching those sick and twisted DVD's. Richard is friend of mine and he sent me copies of photos from the party and so if you need some help to get them onto here I wish to offer my help.Jean was good guy and I will miss the emails he would send me sometimes about movies and Richard's movie theater. I met him through Richard.I am so bumbed out about what has happened. :( Please let his grandmother know that I send out my condolences because I also met her at the party.Let me know about the
photos and if you would like some help with them.

Xman2000 (aka Philip)

vulcantouch-mom
08-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Oh YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!! Please, I'd LOVE to get those peeeeeeeeechurs. Are you the sweet, tall gentleman who brought the cool balloons? Yes, Mom's had a difficult time w/this. His services will be held at 9AM Wednesday, 8-16-06 - Mt. Olivet Cemetery on W 44th past Ward Rd. I've been trying to post the OBIT as it will appear in Sunday's Rocky Mountain News under ADDITIONAL NOTICES. I keep getting booted out when I try here. Please e-mail me at round_grandma@msn.com for more.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Wow. This news comes as a sudden shock to all of us here at SirSteves. JT and Warstar summed up our feelings toward Vulcantouch nicely with their wonderful posts.

I just cannot believe the news with Marylin and now this. When I was a newbie to this board, the Micro Machines section was where I exclusively hung out for awhile. I got to know VT shortly there after and his unique wit and wisdom. He had the ability to pontificate about a topic with posts that I could not just believe the amount of thought of knowledge of a topic. His anti-scalping policies were famous and anyone who tried to screw with a MMer got not only a cold shoulder from VT, but a lecture from him on how their "scalpyness" was a determent to the collecting society as a whole.

His generosity and leadership was famous. I don't know how he found those Star Wars items as cheap as he did. And instead of keeping them, he unselfishly offered them to the forum for the rest of us to claim. He didn't jack up the price or skim a little off the top. VT realized that kindness directed at us would mean kindness repaid for him. The MM board and much of Sirsteves became a happy little collector's club where members would routinely post their finds and offer to buy, package, and ship any item if a fellow member needed it. He was certainly instrumental in helping to establish this community.

He also took the reigns of handling the massive distribution of the collection of Marylin (aka R2Dee2) upon her death. Making trips, organizing the collection, talking with forumites, shipping, etc. He made sure that her legacy was carried on through all of us, bit-by-bit.

VT, may you find peace wherever you may be.

vulcantouch-mom
08-11-2006, 08:20 PM
WHOA!! You really observed and knew a lot of my son, JediTricks. Well done! I'm awed, proud and humbled at the lovely words you've shared, Warstar. Thank you for the caring and honest words. If I can get my printer to cooperate, I want to print that and all of my son's posts, and the lovely posts and replies y'all have so kindly sent this week. Your words fell on my heart like rose petals leaving soft, gentle impressions of kind thoughts. Thank you.

carolyn

bigbarada
08-11-2006, 10:59 PM
So do we have any details at all on what exactly happened?

I'm sorry for your loss. VT and I rarely agreed on much. In fact, we were pretty much polar opposites on anything dealing with politics or religion; but I gained a lot of respect for how he always managed to keep his cool through any disagreement and made me feel like a child throwing a temper tantrum whenever I flew off the handle and posted something in anger.

Even though we would still probalby disagree on EVERYTHING, I can honestly say that I am a more mature and rational person thanks to the experiences I've had "debating" with VT.

:(

xman2000
08-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Oh YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!! Please, I'd LOVE to get those peeeeeeeeechurs. Are you the sweet, tall gentleman who brought the cool balloons? Yes, Mom's had a difficult time w/this. His services will be held at 9AM Wednesday, 8-16-06 - Mt. Olivet Cemetery on W 44th past Ward Rd. I've been trying to post the OBIT as it will appear in Sunday's Rocky Mountain News under ADDITIONAL NOTICES. I keep getting booted out when I try here. Please e-mail me at round_grandma@msn.com for more.

No I am not the one who brought the baloons to the party. I am the one who showed up late for the party while everyone was sitting outside on Richard's balcony. I have to find the photos on my computer and I will send them to you. I will also email Richard because they maybe photos you already have from the party.It must be really tough to be dealing with this.

Philip

sergiurusu
08-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Please Carolyn let us know if there is anything we can do. I might be from the other side of the world (Romania) but if there is something I can do just say it. it would be an honor to help the mom of our beloved friend. And i'm sure all of us here think the same.:yes:

vulcantouch-mom
08-12-2006, 08:50 AM
You're funny. We went to the deck immediately, so I guess we were all late ;). I must not have had a chance to get your picture as I believe it may have begun to sprinkle and was getting dark, so we all came inside. Yes, PLEASE, if you would kindly send me photos you have. I only have the few I took and my Daughter-in-Law, Christie, Ken's wife, is going to make a scrapbook - she does LOVELY ones - for me about Jean T. Please feel free to call or come by. We're at 4985 Meade Street, just west and south of Regis on 50th & Lowell. If the Jeep's in the driveway, please park behind it if there's no street parking. Mom's got a pomeranian (barker/growler-no bites, thank goodness), so if I see you approach, I'll get hold of her (she's so rude :o). I hope you'll join us Wednesday morning for his services. I'm trying to make sure everyone who comes signs the guestbook, so I can thank them and add that to the treasure of thoughtful memories his friends are sending me.

Until later,

carolyn :cry:

vulcantouch-mom
08-12-2006, 09:24 AM
I keep trying to reply to your kind message, but it gets wiped out. Your kind thoughts are much appreciated, Sergiurusu. How can I get my e-mail address to you?

My one wish is to be able to (once my SS Disability income is settled) place a headstone with his avatar and "May The Force Be With You" - this would really be a suitable one, I think.

Take care, and again, thank you so much, Sergiurusu.

carolyn

sergiurusu
08-12-2006, 09:32 AM
My email address is sergiurusu@yahoo.com, please fell free to write anytime, Carolyn.

jedimastergeorge06
08-12-2006, 09:54 AM
im so sorry to hear about your brother, its hard i know cause my mother passed away in april of last year,, so i know how it feels when someone so dear to you passes away, i dont know your situation between your brother and you but it takes time. you just have to take it day by day,,,,minute by minute and thats all you can do though. im sure you felt it but its a certain pain that you go through that you dont with upon your worst enemy, and im happy to read that your brother went with god ...thats a good thing and a possitive thing. thats whats helping me through this time in my life, knowing that shes with god and seeing the pastor go into the hospital room with my mom and praying over her and with her. its a overwhelming feeling. but my heart and prayer goes out to you and your dear family and may god bless you during this sad time in your life. you know my dad told me about a month ago that life is like a clock on the wall...meaning....between 1 and 3 o'clock and life is pretty good nothing much happening and then its between 4 and 6 o'clock and you can sort of see the clouds in the distance and then its between 7 and 9 o'clock and clouds are starting to roll in and its getting dark now its starting to get crazy and now its between 10 and 12 o'clock and the storm is here and life is realy really bad its maddness but wait!!!...1 and 3o'clock is on its way!! And once those times get here...life will be really good again and the sun will shine again!!!....so right now its a storm...a bad storm...but the sun will shine once more..with in time that is but its for sure that the sun will shine!!!! if that makes since..if not i can clareify for you. but god bless and be stronge!!
george

xman2000
08-12-2006, 11:41 AM
You're funny. We went to the deck immediately, so I guess we were all late ;). I must not have had a chance to get your picture as I believe it may have begun to sprinkle and was getting dark, so we all came inside. Yes, PLEASE, if you would kindly send me photos you have. I only have the few I took and my Daughter-in-Law, Christie, Ken's wife, is going to make a scrapbook - she does LOVELY ones - for me about Jean T. Please feel free to call or come by. We're at 4985 Meade Street, just west and south of Regis on 50th & Lowell. If the Jeep's in the driveway, please park behind it if there's no street parking. Mom's got a pomeranian (barker/growler-no bites, thank goodness), so if I see you approach, I'll get hold of her (she's so rude :o). I hope you'll join us Wednesday morning for his services. I'm trying to make sure everyone who comes signs the guestbook, so I can thank them and add that to the treasure of thoughtful memories his friends are sending me.

Until later,

carolyn :cry:

I emailed the photos to you but I am not sure if they will open on your computer.Do you have a Macintosh or a PC?

Philip

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Sad news indeed. My condolences to you. I don't think I interacted much with VT on these forums, but I certainly recognize the name and his style. I think JT and Warstar stated things quite well. He will be missed.

vulcantouch-mom
08-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I apologize for having taken so long to reply, DarthInstigator. I'm sorry to hear you went through this, as well. Unfortunately, Jean was never in the service, had 2 years of college and was done. Hopefully, if my SSD is approved w/in a reasonable time, I can start payments, once I locate someone to do it.

Much of the family has been 'round. My younger sister got in from NM. Many others I'd not seen for years made their way to spend time w/us. I really appreciate their attention to Mom - she's feeling pretty fragile. Well, at 91, I guess she's gonna eh?

Gonna run. Trying to keep up w/e-mails from my friends and give proper replies to those from this site who've taken the time to send their kind thoughts. While I've lost my first child, he lives on in the hearts of many. So, for me, he'll never really be gone.

carolyn

vulcantouch-mom
08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Lowly Bantha Cleaner. I'm happy you two had good times together over the collections. He was a 'unique', and I'll miss him for as long as I live.

If anyone has ordered items from him, we'll be completing the project, as best we can, so as not to burden Marilyn's widower with it. There are a few of us - a friend, his brother and I want to help. If anyone can provide info on their intended purchases, please let me know.

carolyn

JediTricks
08-12-2006, 11:27 PM
First off, if anybody needs help posting photos or saving content or anything like that, please contact me and I'll do my best to help: jeditricks@sirstevesguide.com

Thanks for the pics WS, what did he get you there, the Jedi Braid set? And he's wearing the Ep 1 R2-B1 figure? I remember he liked that one, it's a good looking droid with a recharge frame, technology plus technology, that was his thing. And you and him and Marilyn.

his headphones never came off... I grew to learn that Jean had a constant soundtrack for life, and it reflected the day or his mood. Maybe it was like being in a movie to him- I don't really know.Yeah, that sounds exactly right, look at his posts in his MM Fashion thread and they all mention the music, it came through on the web even, that's real dedication to a unique outlook.

WS, I'm sorry you and VT never totally got past you selling your collection on ebay, I'm glad you still considered him a friend even with that difference of opinion.

He wouldn't want me to gush like I am, so I think I'll wind down now.Too late. ;) (You know he'd appreciate that :D)

anyone who tried to screw with a MMer got not only a cold shoulder from VT, but a lecture from him on how their "scalpyness" was a determent to the collecting society as a whole.And sometimes worse, he definitely had a strong sense of justice and vengence with those sorts of things - a lot of people would shrug off those bad deals, I suppose that's part of how the hobby has gotten into such bad shape, but not Jean. Again he put his money where his mouth is, sometimes to the point where I didn't want to know lest I get in trouble by association. ;) Even deals that went south which he had no hand in at all he wanted to exact some amount of justice or at least revenge.

WHOA!! You really observed and knew a lot of my son, JediTricks. Well done! I'm awed, proud and humbled at the lovely words you've shared, Warstar. Thank you for the caring and honest words. If I can get my printer to cooperate, I want to print that and all of my son's posts, and the lovely posts and replies y'all have so kindly sent this week. Your words fell on my heart like rose petals leaving soft, gentle impressions of kind thoughts. Thank you.

carolynYou're more than welcome Carolyn. I think it says a lot about him that someone who intentionally set his first meeting with the rest of us up pretending to be "the villain" (unknown to us with our best interests in mind) could go on to be a hub of internet friends for such a long time. I couldn't have expressed much of that about a lot of others I know, but Jean wrote a lot of himself in the posts and emails he put out there without feeling pushy or egotistical (except when he was doing so intentionally ;)) from out of some internet posts came a real person.

If anyone has ordered items from him, we'll be completing the project, as best we can, so as not to burden Marilyn's widower with it. There are a few of us - a friend, his brother and I want to help. If anyone can provide info on their intended purchases, please let me know.Jean made sure to keep all the requests public in the thread about Marilyn's passing (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=26170), it's quite a large thread to sift through but I believe that it can be sorted out.

vulcantouch-mom
08-13-2006, 07:27 AM
I believe I've e-mailed you, xman2000, thanking you for the party peeeeechurs. They are much-appreciated and will be shared. I have a PC - :o must be reading every-other-line or somethin'. SOMEWHERE, I believe I have one picture of him in the Darth Vader costume we both worked on (he did the voice-control box on the chest) for Halloween in 3rd-4th grade. I sincerely hope it wasn't lost. I WILL share that, if and when I find it. Wish me luck!:thumbsup:

vulcantouch-mom :):):)

xman2000
08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I believe I've e-mailed you, xman2000, thanking you for the party peeeeechurs. They are much-appreciated and will be shared. I have a PC - :o must be reading every-other-line or somethin'. SOMEWHERE, I believe I have one pictures of him in the Darth Vader costume we both worked on (he did the voice-control box on the chest) for Halloween in 3rd-4th grade. I sincerely hope it wasn't lost. I WILL share that, if and when I find it. Wish me luck!:thumbsup:

vulcantouch-mom :):):)

Yes you did email me.I had written that comment before you responded to my email. I just wanted at the time to make sure that the photos would be readable the way I sent them. I have a Mac and sometimes when I send stuff to people with a PC they can't open what I send them.Thanks for the clarified directions to the memorial. I think now I'll be able to get there.My sense of direction is lousy and I might still get lost.

Philip (aka Xman2000)

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Carolyn, I'm not sure which post you want me to add the obituary URL to, so I'll post it here and can move it to any of your posts if you like.

Jean's obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/Denver/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=18830509

vulcantouch-mom
08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Thank you SOOOOOO much for posting it, JT. We've just now ended a day full of relatives visiting and I'm exhausted and now, finally able to check-in.

Yes, that's the URL - there are also 2 comments in the Guestbook that will also be available only today, as I understand it.

Visitors have been amazed at the degree of talent he had, as an artist. They'd never seen any of his work. I'm going to try to display a bit of it at the reception.

If I ask, reeeeeeeeeeelly nicely, may I prevail upon you to get photos posted, when they're ready and organized? It was a very generous offer of your time and effort to help.

Hope your evening is wonderful, JT.

vulcantouch-mom

Warstar
08-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Eh, Jean was cool like that- even though we had the difference of opinion on selling he knew my situation and knew I didn't get into the game solely to sell.

And you're right- "Too late" was more than appropriate ;)

That was indeed the Jedi Braid set- of which I still have the 2 he got me to this day (one opened, one closed :))

I left a message on the obit. I wish I could be at the funeral. I don't know if he would have wanted me there though...probably, but it IS VT after all :)

Kidhuman
08-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I left a message in the guest book VT-mom.

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
If I ask, reeeeeeeeeeelly nicely, may I prevail upon you to get photos posted, when they're ready and organized? It was a very generous offer of your time and effort to help.Of course, just let me know. :)

AndyW
08-15-2006, 07:25 AM
:cry:

Oh my, like everyone else I don't know what to say. :sad:

I didn't even know the forums were back up until this morning, and just having a trawl through the threads I discover this terrible news.

As others have said when this thread started a week or so back, my thoughts are with VT's family, as you may be able to tell from this thread, he will be missed terribly here. :cry:

britcit3
08-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Man.....

Just found out - been offline for 2 weeks.

Jean was the person that brought me into this community.

He was a really, really sound guy - I'm gutted, just gutted - this board will be a poorer placw without him (he really kept up the enthusiasm for MM's when none were being made for years).

Any of his family reading this, you have my deepest condolencies.

BC3, Jim

Hellboy
08-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I just got back into town and noticed the news today. :sad:

Jean's passing comes as a complete shock and I'm really at a loss for words. We had traded and communicated in the past and I always enjoyed his insight and candor. To say he was a decent and fair person would be an understatement. He will be missed by many on these boards, myself included.

My sincerest condolences go out to you Ken and Carolyn as well as the rest of the Clarke family.

-Scott (Hellboy)

Lazer Brain
08-16-2006, 03:27 PM
this is very sad news, my condolences to the famly and friends of VT.
I came to this forums originally for the information on Star Wars micromachines and always enjoyed VT's information and posts. he was a great asset to our community and will be missed.
later VT
Richard (Lazerbrain)

JEDIpartner
08-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Wow... big and terrible news. My heart is with all of you. :(

britcit3
08-16-2006, 04:22 PM
If any of VT's family read this..................

How did the funeral go?

BC3, Jim

maatu
08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
i am so sorry for your loss.

vulcantouch-mom
08-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Today began brightly and I imagined the colors of ships that would've graced a table-top tarmac at a patio somewhere for a day's reading, listening to music, of course, and watching the sky.

Several dozen friends and relatives arrived, introductions melded family and Jean's friends and we drove to his site. He now looks to the West, facing the Rocky Mountains and will never again miss a sunset.

We watched as they lowered him and everyone placed a red rose on his casket. We all drove to a small church across the street from home, where my uncle attends and had offered the hall, at no cost, for a reception. Nearly everyone came and enjoyed a large selection of foods, desserts and was, as far as I could tell, the closest we would come to a wake for my part-Irish son.

Several pieces of his artwork - charcoal, oil, watercolor, crayon, were displayed and lots of compliments flowed from most who had no idea he had such talent. Lots of pictures were taken, including some of the family and some w/friends and myself. I can't wait to see them. It was such a blur, in ways, because I felt I was going in slow motion trying to give attention to everyone.

Several friends and relatives came to the house, and my oldest and dearest friend/classmate from gradeschool was one. It's a shame we don't get together more often.

At the gravesite services, I read the Guestbook entry by Warstar, first crediting him and reading his entry. Everyone was touched by it, saying it was touching and just right for him. Unfortunately, I failed to include "May the Force be with you."

My eyes keep closing. I think the fatigue just kicked in. Y'all enjoy the day and I'll be back soon.

vulcantouch-mom

Kidhuman
08-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Sounded like a lovely service VT-Mom.

sergiurusu
08-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Our friend is one with the Force now. God rest Jean in peace!

Banthaholic
08-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Thank you VT-mom for the updates. It sounded like a nice ceremony for Jean. You and your family are in my prayers. VT wherever you are looking down at us know that we are better people for have known you.

Warstar
08-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Thank you ever so much, Carolyn, for honoring me with reading my entry at the service. I meant every word I said, and I am glad to hear he is at peace now.

I miss him even as I type this. I have made several posts lately to try and return all this collecting here to some normalcy but let's face it- it will never be the same with out Jean :(

I challenge anyone who reads this to take a picture of their favorite science-fiction toy or collectible in an artistic way and to post it in VT's MM Fashion Thread. We need to at least keep that playful spirit of Jean's alive- it'd be a shame to lose even that here at SirSteve's. Losing Jean is enough.

vulcantouch-mom
08-17-2006, 11:34 PM
to have the privilege of sharing communications with you and his friends, personally, and online. :yes:

I'm ever-grateful he shared that kinship w/y'all. You all added to his life as he did to yours.

God Bless Sir Steve's Guide :thumbsup:

carolyn :):):)

Slicker
08-18-2006, 09:01 PM
I am very late to this thread since I was on vacation and away from the internet but if it's any measure of how close we all are here I was informed from 3 different individuals from these forums over the phone about Jeans passing. At first I didn't believe it but after the second then the third notification of it I had no choice but to. The only interaction I ever had with VT was in the thread concerning the dispersal of Marilyn's collection but even there he treated me like we'd been corresponding for years.

Although I was never big into Micro Machines I realize what a large hit these forums have taken in the past year with the passing of Marilyn and now Jean.

As I said, I'm late coming to this but I hope my words still hold meaning.

Nick (Slicker)

SWAFMAN
08-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Carolyn,

I was on a long drive Wednesday, and an 18-wheeler with a trucking company name on the trailer I had never seen before was driving in my sight for most of the trip heading away from home. I would pass it sometimes when we were on a long uphill grade, and it would pass me on the downhill stretches. It was called NAVAJO. I do a ton of highway driving with my job and for personal travel, so I noticed this as as a name that was new to me. What was more odd was that I saw another NAVAJO truck (or the same one?), that was in my sight for nearly my entire drive home. This was about 200 miles each way. Of course, Jean was constantly in my thoughts Wednesday, and after seeing this truck all day I finally read the small writing on the back doors of the truck below the large word NAVAJO. It said Denver, CO. I thought it was pretty cool that even though I couldn't be in Colorado to pay my respects in person, a small part of Denver was in my sight for most of the day.

Thank you for sharing your description of Wednesday with the people on the forum. I am very much looking forward to any posts you can make, with the assistance of any of us here, of Jean T's artwork and of course any other pictures you choose to share.

Sincerely,
Joe
(swafman)

sicqnus
08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I thought it would be great to have a little trip to the past in honnor of Jean & Marilyn. Remember the VTea-Times at the Tattered Cover book store in Denver and the famous proto-tour 2003 (TC, wich have a new location now : http://www.tatteredcover.com.
The skeleton and some images of the defunct "ToyForce" have been archived on the WaybackMachine servers (amazing tool). Link here : http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://r2toyforce.net/

http://web.archive.org/web/20050219192224/r2toyforce.net/vttime2003.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20050219192220/r2toyforce.net/vttime.htm

Carolyn, it will be with pleasure. I'll write you back tonight when I'll be back from work.

Here are a few pics of VT and R2dee2 saved from ToyForce 2003.
Below, I've put the pics on the Shack (I've slightly photoshopped them to make them a little larger).
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/341/vtime2003vtdxx8.jpg
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/173/vtime2003vtc7wordspq0.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1074/vtime2003vtb7wordsdw6.jpg
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1976/vtime2003vt7wordskd7.jpg

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Please Accept my condolences. i fell really bad about your brother may our prayers make you feel better, God bless.

vulcantouch-mom
08-22-2006, 12:23 AM
You touched my heart, sharing these photos of Jean in that beautiful white Olympic Games jacket he wore rarely. It actually helped me begin to grieve, something I'd been unable to release until seeing these images. I guess I've been focusing so much on my Mom and taking care of things, that my focus was never directed to how I felt about losing him.

If you'd kindly send me your address in a PM, I'll send you something to remember him by. Actually, I'd love to be able to send something to several of the MMTS posters, and JediTricks, in particular, for having been so patient and kind in helping me in my stumbling efforts to communicate in this forum.

It's late (11:09PM MST) and my yawning is getting the best of me, so goodnight and have a wonderful day, tomorrow, sicqnus.

vulcantouch-mom :cry:

ps. The webarchive links wouldn't completely download, for some reason, leaving empty spaces where most of the pictures were to appear. I wonder if it's my connection, ya think?:ermm:

Tycho
08-22-2006, 12:54 AM
I understand where you are at, Vulcan-Touch Mom.

When my own mother died just 2 years ago, I had to look out after my very despondent Grandmother (my Mom's mom). Trying to help her through the grieving process left me nowhere to deal with my own feelngs. I didn't know VT that well. We probably had 1 trade or something. But I think I know how you feel. And if anything helps you with your own way through this, I think that's good.

Anakin Palpatine
08-22-2006, 01:26 AM
My condolences for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

JediGoofy
08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi VT,
I just came back today to my beloved SSG's MicroMachines forum (that I left at the end of June) and I was slowly reading the messages which piled up in the meantime, waiting happily to get to the thread about R2Dee2's legacy, in order to decide with you the details about the shipping of the items, ... and then I found the news about you. :sad:
What a shock!
This is really unexpected. :(
I am afraid I am not able to clearly express my feelings about this, but I would like to say you are one of the people I admire the most in the Star Wars collecting community. Your messages are so interesting, your interests are so vast, and your helpfulness is so legendary ... :yes:
There are people who inspire me in many aspects of my life (work, music, sci-fi, star wars collecting, etc.); well you are one of those. :)
I am happy and honoured I have had the pleasure to meet you, and I say your friendship means a lot to me.
Thank you VT for being VT. :love:

Ciao,
Gian Piero (a.k.a. JediGoofy)

Dear VT's mother,
I would like to express my sincerest condolences to you and your family.
You had really a wonderful son (you read all the positive feelings expressed by his friends on this forum).
I do not know what to say you but that I am near you in this terrible moment. :cry:

Sincerely,
Gian Piero Fici
Turin, Italy

RobertDD
08-22-2006, 08:01 PM
I have been busy, haven't really had time to check in on things. I just came on quickly to read up on what's been happening with the Ultra's, and then I read this.

For the past 30 mins or so I have read through this thread. I still have a hard time getting my hands around it. I don't know what to say. VT will be missed and I can't believe he's gone.

To the family of VT: please accept my condolences and I am very sorry for your loss.

Robert

bobafrett
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Vulcan-Touch Mom, I like Tycho, lost my mom about a year and a half ago. I did the Relay for Life cancer walk one month later, and spent the entire month raising funds to fight the disease that took my mom. After the Relay, I finally was able to grieve. It felt comforting to be able to finally do so. They say time heals the pain, but I still feel it even now. Do take time to remember how many lives your son touched, and know that we also are hear for you whenever you need an ear to listen.

Barry

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Please forgive my lack of posts here in the past few days, I haven't experienced death much and it's hard for me to face or know what to say. I am glad that VT had a celebration of his life, I think he would have wanted more good times than sad ones; also it's lovely that he has a sunset view, he seemed to revel in the vivid colors that only lasted a brief time per day and were always a little different from one to the next. In my collecting runs in the past few weeks, I've come across odd little things and the thought of VT's reaction would pop into my head, and I guess in a way that's part of how he lives on in us all, like how Kirk & McCoy spoke of Spock's death in Star Trek II.

If you'd kindly send me your address in a PM, I'll send you something to remember him by. Actually, I'd love to be able to send something to several of the MMTS posters, and JediTricks, in particular, for having been so patient and kind in helping me in my stumbling efforts to communicate in this forum.That's so nice of you, please don't feel obligated though. I'd say "no no" more but after Marilyn's passing VT chided me for my oversentimentalism for that same thing, ;) so I will protest no more.

ps. The webarchive links wouldn't completely download, for some reason, leaving empty spaces where most of the pictures were to appear. I wonder if it's my connection, ya think?:ermm:I'm afraid not, sometimes webarchive only picks up the page and images that appear across multiple pages. Perhaps Mike Guyote has the missing files in Marilyn's home computer though, it's a longshot though.

sicqnus
08-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Direct download : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=58RDFSBQ (15,47mb .wmv)
"I want more" (Nina Simone, MC.Rollo, Sister Bliss).
A stunning clip from 2004 showing how the North Koreans are preparing the Olympic Games.

One of the last exchanges I had by mail with Jean, we were talking about the image North Korea has in our occidental countries.
This video made by BBC journalists and the UK House-Trance band Faithless just shows a different point of view from what you can usually see on Fox News... Nothing about politics, just a different point of view as would have said the old Ben Kenobi.

Thanks for the kind words Carolyn. Your son was a great person.
Curious of everything and intelligent.
He was a part of those who wont be easily forgotten.

vulcantouch-mom
08-23-2006, 07:07 PM
I had no idea so many of you had such recent losses of close loved ones :cry: . Here I've been trying to ease Mom's grief by focusing on what we enjoyed with him and the thought of him no longer being in pain, remembering the wonderful things about him. I've stayed busy and now that things are somewhat quieter, it's harder not to get that lump in my throat and well up whenever we pass something or some place we shared in our many outings.

Cherish those you love - you never know when the time will end.

Thanks, guys :love:

vulcantouch-mom

haggie
09-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Carolyn, I'm am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I only now saw the email you sent me weeks ago. I don't get to my email, or this forum, very often these days and have only now heard the news. I'm in complete shock. VT was the life of this clubhouse that we call the MicroMachine forum and I am so sad to know that I will never get the chance to banter with him again. Over the last few years I repeatedly turned down his invitations to join him for films at the "microtheatre", always thinking I'd make it to the next one. Now, I deeply regret having squandered my chance to ruminate over another one of our shared passions: film. I'm glad I had the chance to know him, and to have had many great discussions and arguments with him. I will miss his contributions to this forum, and to his fellow beings.

pegger
09-12-2006, 01:15 PM
I normally don't go into all the other discussion threads, but I just saw this.

I just want to add my sincere condolences to you and your family as well. Although I didn't know VT very well, I could tell he was a fine man. My prayers are with you, and him.

vulcantouch-mom
09-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes, he was a good man, and he had the gift of adding sparkle to our lives with his wit, taste, and wonderful insights.

If you'd like to check out a few websites, I'll send them in a PM - including his online obit, guest book, cyber-albums at SNAPFISH, and a blog entered today by the gentleman who runs a blogsite on Denver area coffee and tea houses.

Take care, pegger:yes:

vulcantouch-mom

scruffziller
09-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Until I saw LTBasker's avatar I had no idea this had happened. I will miss VT's enigmatic posts and considered his replies to my posts an honor. Truly a great loss.:cry: I had not officially told of it on SSG but my best friend passed on this last June. He was also a big SW fan and collector back in the day. He had every single vintage figure and play set except for the last series and the Shuttle Tyderian. And I have inherited it all. Bittersweet though.:(

vulcantouch-mom
09-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I'd read the HP posts to you and didn't want to poke my lit candles into your SSG 'cake' when you didn't know me. You took me back many, many moons with your avatar. I saw "A Clockwork Orange" when it was originally released and again, years later, on cable, while I lived in Texas. I just love the 'language' created and enjoyed the style references to the "Carnaby Street" element so prevalent when I was in high school (ya know, the dark ages? lol ).

Jéan and I shared some film tastes and that was one we both liked. He used to have filmfests at "Shooting Star Cafe", a local place owned and run by a former college-mate of his. They were quite a bit of fun. The last new film we'd shared together was the last "Star Wars" release, last year. We always sat pretty close to the front, center, and shared the joy with some of his friends. It was 'ritual' when I was here before, and I'm ever grateful to have had the opportunity to share the last one with him.

The weekend is nearly upon us. I've been mailing out Marilyn's collection pieces as locating and pricing is available. Did you have any interest in any of her pieces? I can get out what I have here, once I know the cost involved.

I'm very sorry to hear about your best friend. You must have been devastated. I sincerely hope he did not suffer. Yes, I understand your bittersweet reaction to his collection. I'm feeling similarly, as Jéan's collections of the SW/ST/BG items, many many books, CD's, audio and VHS tapes, DVD's, etc. now fall to me to share with his brother, nephews, etc. On one hand, I want to keep EVERYTHING, but realize appreciation of them would much better address my son's collecting spirit. I may share a few items, but it will be very difficult, at best, feeling it's all I have left of him, though it's not actually true. I have decades of memories and good times, and he lives in my heart.

If you'd like to see the photos I've collected, so far, that were taken at his funeral and reception, that included exhibition of some of his artwork, just let me know and I'll send you an invitation - it requires a recipient e-mail, however.

Take care, Scruffziller (I just LOVE that name! :yes: )

vulcantouch-mom
round_grandma@msn.com

scruffziller
09-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I'd read the HP posts to you and didn't want to poke my lit candles into your SSG 'cake' when you didn't know me. You took me back many, many moons with your avatar. I saw "A Clockwork Orange" when it was originally released and again, years later, on cable, while I lived in Texas. I just love the 'language' created and enjoyed the style references to the "Carnaby Street" element so prevalent when I was in high school (ya know, the dark ages? lol ).

Jéan and I shared some film tastes and that was one we both liked. He used to have filmfests at "Shooting Star Cafe", a local place owned and run by a former college-mate of his. They were quite a bit of fun. The last new film we'd shared together was the last "Star Wars" release, last year. We always sat pretty close to the front, center, and shared the joy with some of his friends. It was 'ritual' when I was here before, and I'm ever grateful to have had the opportunity to share the last one with him.

The weekend is nearly upon us. I've been mailing out Marilyn's collection pieces as locating and pricing is available. Did you have any interest in any of her pieces? I can get out what I have here, once I know the cost involved.

I'm very sorry to hear about your best friend. You must have been devastated. I sincerely hope he did not suffer. Yes, I understand your bittersweet reaction to his collection. I'm feeling similarly, as Jéan's collections of the SW/ST/BG items, many many books, CD's, audio and VHS tapes, DVD's, etc. now fall to me to share with his brother, nephews, etc. On one hand, I want to keep EVERYTHING, but realize appreciation of them would much better address my son's collecting spirit. I may share a few items, but it will be very difficult, at best, feeling it's all I have left of him, though it's not actually true. I have decades of memories and good times, and he lives in my heart.

If you'd like to see the photos I've collected, so far, that were taken at his funeral and reception, that included exhibition of some of his artwork, just let me know and I'll send you an invitation - it requires a recipient e-mail, however.

Take care, Scruffziller (I just LOVE that name! :yes: )

vulcantouch-mom
round_grandma@msn.com

Thnx for the kind words VT-mom. My friend Glen also had tons of DVDs, tapes, CDs, collectible card game cards, gaming books etc. It has been 3 months and it is still hard. I think that it always will be. If you would like to see a slideshow of some pics of him, you can see them on my myspace.
www.myspace.com/scruffziller (http://www.myspace.com/scruffziller) I will get back to you on the offers you mentioned. :)

Mothman
09-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I know I'm new here, but non-the-less I've been in the same shoes as you. You have my sympathies.

:'(

SWAFMAN
11-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Totally, totally off-topic, but I came across this just now and immediately thought of one person in the world I wanted to share it with. This is for VT:

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson

britcit3
11-10-2006, 04:15 PM
SWAF

He would have so been into that.

Nice one.

Later forummers

BC3

vulcantouch-mom
11-10-2006, 04:42 PM
You took me back to a film both of us enjoyed "That's the Way of the World". Throughout the last 2 months we enjoyed music in the car, he'd been playing Earth, Wind and Fire, and similar mid-late 70's music. Somehow, music has the power to take you to another time, place and circumstance. For better or worse, you can re-live the same feelings you experiences of the past. I remember dancing with him in my arms, as an infant, while "Obla-di, Obla-da" played. He had music playing throughout his life, mostly mine, and later, when he listened, some of it stayed, as his taste in it grew.

Well, Dude, I'm going to take mom to the store, where she sits and talks to everyone who walks by in the parking lot while I shop. She doesn't really enjoy walking that much more and really just enjoys getting out. I'm thankful she wants to go out, at least.

Enjoy the weekend:thumbsup:

VT-mom :yes: :yes: :yes: