PDA

View Full Version : How about a Playset Poll!!!

jedi master sal
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Okay you've given us several Fan choice figure polls, and I just posted the idea for a vehicle/ship/large droid poll. So how about a playset poll??

We STILL believe playsets can be a viable toy if made properly and distributed right. In this day and age, while you prefer retail, since you've said playsets don't sell all tha well, then it seems a foregone conclusion to make these internet exclusives. I don't mean to one specfic site (thought that might work) but more to the board area of e-tailers.

So, what playsets could be made?? Again glad you asked, here are some popular choices to get the list started:

TPM
Naboo Hangar. All NEW. Farily large playset, maybe even include a Naboo fighter with it to give it that extra punch! Cost $30-50 depending on pack-in
Trade Federation control ship. This could consists of a few different playsets that could interlock. One would be the hallway where Qui-gon and Obi-wan are trying to break into the bridge. A nice SA Qui-gon and/or Obi-wan would be great pack-ins or carded figures during this release. Cost w/o pack-in $15 w/packin $25-30
Senate-make the center column for the chancellor, pack-in the oriental advisor, make the backdrop have a way to connect the Senate pods from the battle pack and you've got a great set. Cool thing is this could be a multiple purchase, since some of us would want at least three set to have one for each prequel. (I know I would) You could even include two detachable pods if not the figure. (but have room to attach more pods if possible...)

AOTC
Padme's Apartment-good thing is with this set, people might get two to use another one for a ROTS set-up. Quite a bit of scenes happaned here and don't forget the exciting scene of the Kouhun centipedes that almost kill Padme!

ROTS
Jedi Temple-okay this is the grand-daddy of them all. This could be a huge set or a great chance for modular sets. Sections could include:
* Jedi Council room
* Padawan Training room
* Yoda's apartment
* Steps marching up to temple
* Walkways (scene in AOTC as well)
* Library (okay technically an AOTC scne, but still would be cool to have with this set)
* Jedi War room-Mace talking about sensing a plot to destory the Jedi scene
Sections can be $20 or as a whole (not likely) $140. The best bet here is to go with the smaller sets to allow for us to buy a set a paycheck, so that we aren't killed with a huge purchase all at once. Moderation is the key in a sense. Make it easy for us to purchase and we surely will, make it expensive and we won't.
Palpatines office. At the least include the area with the large curved window, include his desk and some chairs and you've just made it available for scenes from both AOTC as well as ROTS. Cost $30
Kashyyyk War "room"-man this would be a great set to have a correctly painted Commander Gree. You could also reissue Tarfful here either in the set or single carded, same for Chewbacca. Cost $30 (this would be a detail oriented set, so hence the slightly higher cost)

ANH
Imperial Conference room.- Your coming out with the figures, please give us a place to sit them in. Simple in manufacturing as it's repetative chairs except Tarkin's, circular table and repetative walls. Can be small/medium in size Cost $20-30.
Rebel War Room-this neglected portion of the Star Wars saga (not by we collectors mind you) could gain some support with the release of a set like this. Include a pack-in of one of the never before made Rebel Officers (A quick kit-bash of Dodonna and a new head sculpt could achieve this), add in some of the monitor (like the one that came with General Reikaan Deluxe figure) and especially add in the circular war display (that shows the Death Star approaching) and you've got a sure seller. Cost $20-25
Death Star Hangar Bay control room (this is the "red" room). Lots of action happened here and we could REALLY use having this. Pack-in a new officer (the one from the scene-can be kitbashed from other officers). Cost $20-25

ESB
Wampa cave WITH Wampa (great way to reissue the Wampa)
Hoth Rebel Base. This could be several playsets:
* Hangar-big enough for at least one Snowspeeder if not the Falcon $15-20
* Medical room-great place to make use of the Luke in Bacta tank figure, as well as 2-1B and FX-7. Heck you can rerelease those on card or make them part of the set! Cost depending on packins or not $20-40<--this would have to include the two droids mentioned and the deluxe Luke in Bacta tank)
* Control/war room-add in a packin of Toryn Farr (the female Hoth rebel officer-make it be the Leia just with a different head) Cost $20-25
Vader/Luke Duel-this can be either seperate playsets that connect when all purchase or one large playset. Sections could be:
* Dark room (where Vader throws stuff at Luke using the Force) Cost $20
* Carbon Freezing chamber (either new to accomadate the connecting aspect OR retool he exhisting one to accomodate the connecting aspect) Cost $30-40
* "I am your father" scene-a MUCH needed playset. This would make anyone's collection look just that much cooler to have this playset in it. Finally a place to put those figures you've given us from the SAGA collection. Cost $20-25
Torture/Imprisonment of Han-okay maybe a bit graphic for you to do as a toy, so it's a perfect chioce for a NET exclusive. Either one or two set. First section being the room with the torture rack, next section being the prison room where Han was reunited with Chewie and Leia. Very Iconic scenes! As seperate sets $15-20 each, together $30-40
Dagobah playset. A more improved set from the vintage one. Dress it up a bit and include the swamp creature. Cost $30

ROTJ
Jabba's Palace-this would be a good opportnity to give us an upgrade from the cardboard one. Give us Jabba's dias, hooka, big drum that the Weequay plays and you've got a decent playset. Tons of action happened here, so it would be a VERY welcome addition. This would be a PERFECT oportunity to finally include Yarna, if you thin she won't sell single carded!!
Sarlaac Pit-Okay so if you can't give us a full scale Sail Barge, then how about HALF of one?? Make it the "backdrop" to the playset. Able to open up part of it to reveal the room in which Jabba was. as the base, have the Sarlaac with "chomping" action (or no action feature). This would be a large playset and could cost $60-80, but would eb SO worht it. This would also make a great oportunity to rerelease the Skiff as MANY collectors/kids didn't get the chance to get it the first time around. Include a new figure or two and you've just fattened an already exciting playset!!
Emperor's throne room-One of the most exciting action sequences in the original trilogy happens here. Vader and Luke fight again, this time much more intense. The Emperor almost kills Luke. Then Vader SAVES Luke. How can this set NOT be made. It rather empty so it can be packaged fairly flat, yet when assemble can become large. Inlcude a seated Emperor or better yet an SA Emperor and an ultimate SA Jedi Luke and you've just taken this playset up quite a few notches. W/O pack-in figures cost is $30-35, with figs is $40-50.

Okay these are only some of the ones that can be done and I would have listed more, but I'm at work and don't have the time to list more.
Suffice ti to say that there are MANY playset ideas available for you Hasbro to produce. Test the watters with some of the more desired ones. Make the a net only thing, or maybe a pre-order thing to gauge interest. But make these right. Don't skimp on some of the details. If that measn teh sets cost a little more, so be it. We truly want a place to put all of our loose figures. Some just don't have the time or skill to build their own dioramas and it would be immensely cheaper for them to buy them as playsets from you.

Give this some SERIOUS thought.

There's MONEY to be made, you just have to be willing to take the risks. Part of the reason the older playsets weren't as successful was the quality of them. You've got to make these exciting, detail oriented, and maybe add that NEW pack-in figure to entice us.

Respectfully submitted,
Fans of the Star Wars saga and YOU'RE customers!

Rogue II
08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I know Hasbro said the curved section and center island of the ANH Cantina are in the works. So how about a Cantina set to put them in? All of those Cantina Han Solos have nowhere to sit and the re-released Modal Nodes have nowhere to play.

Droid
08-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I vote Jabba's Palace.

And as to the cantina: why haven't they at least made a Han and Greedo confrontation pack that has the booth and chairs? People could have the option of buying a bunch of these to get the booths. (I would much rather buy a pack of the booths from the fan club or something.)

Kidhuman
08-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Dagobah playset, Ewok Village playset, both could be re-issues of the old Kenner versions.

jedi master sal
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Keep them coming guys. The more Hasbro sees we want playsets, hopefully the omre apt they would be to make them!

Rogue II
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
The Dagobah and Ewok Village playsets are probably the only two that could stand up today.

Are the Hoth Turret or Endor Bunker from the POTF2 line worth re-releasing? I never got them. Wasn't there also a couple poorly made sections of the Death Star from the POTF2 line like the canyon swing and Leia's cell block?

The playsets I'm most interested in getting have to be the Death Star, Cantina, and Jabba's Palace. I still like the concept of the Death Star being made in smaller-interconnecting sections. In fact, I'm really considering buying the Ultrama (sp?) display that has the Death Star backgrounds. If you dig through the Dear Hasbro section, you will find numerous threads where we listed sectional sets of not only the Death Star, but Jabba's Palace, the Cantina, and even the Rebel Hoth Base.

I recall making a post a while back that had links to all the playset threads, but now I can't find it.

DarthBrandon
08-11-2006, 11:31 AM
The Dagobah and Ewok Village playsets are probably the only two that could stand up today.

Are the Hoth Turret or Endor Bunker from the POTF2 line worth re-releasing? I never got them. Wasn't there also a couple poorly made sections of the Death Star from the POTF2 line like the canyon swing and Leia's cell block?

The playsets I'm most interested in getting have to be the Death Star, Cantina, and Jabba's Palace. I still like the concept of the Death Star being made in smaller-interconnecting sections. In fact, I'm really considering buying the Ultrama (sp?) display that has the Death Star backgrounds. If you dig through the Dear Hasbro section, you will find numerous threads where we listed sectional sets of not only the Death Star, but Jabba's Palace, the Cantina, and even the Rebel Hoth Base.

I recall making a post a while back that had links to all the playset threads, but now I can't find it.

So I don't have to post a big long request, what Rogue II said.

My son & I would have a field day with some of these. Please make these & some larger ships or give this part of the license to someone else who will.

DarthQuack
08-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Here's to hoping we get another Ewok village and Jabba's Palace.

Devo
08-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I'd prefer OT playsets myself and I'd love them to be more like dioramas than kiddified sets with unnecessary firing missiles. I just don't hold out much hope. Hasbro said 'if we see the market landscape changing we'll consider playsets again but until then...' - to me that means NO and NEVER. The only way the 'landscape' is going to go is for the worse. No more films and less and less child interest in action figures because of new computer game consoles.

However since we all enjoy torturing ourselves over this I'll add my wishes:

Death star all-in-one Basically a modern redo of the classic playset - to include miniaturised representations of the hangar, the red control room, the tractor beam generator, gunner station, conference room, perhaps the superlaser channel. I'm more or less happy with the POTF2 chasm swing and detention block.

Yavin base war-room as described by JMSal

hangar troop/luggage carrier and vehicle power generator minirig

Ben Kenobi's house

Cantina booths - great idea by someone else, in another thread maybe, these would be great to have what with the completion of the bar&distillery after 2008 (according to Hasbro's plans the distillery is '08)

I'd love to have a Lars Homestead but I think its too large scale for Hasbro to consider and independantly released sections might not be marketable at all. As it is I'm stretching things looking for Kenobi's house but thats small and just one structure.

Star Destroyer Bridge - ideally it'd be to scale and have both sides around the central walkway. We really need a context for the bounty hunter lineup and all these officers and for a window that Vader can look out of.

Echo Base troop carrier&various hangar set dressings

Echo Base control room

Yoda's house - with the Dagobah X-wing this thing has become imperative. Its a sin if Hasbro don't make it. Quite simply a sin.

Cloud city All-in-one - complimentary to JMSal's Bespin Duel multiset, this would be an ESB equivalent of ANH's Death star playset. I'd like it to have the dining room, the junk conveyor room, Han&Leia's quarters, the holding cell, some section of corridor and a door opening onto ones own imaginary landing pad for the Slave I or Falcon and perhaps the freezing chamber itself.

Bespin Duel All-in-one - what JMSal said

appropriate scale Millenium Falcon cockpit

proper scale Falcon Main Hold and access to gunner ports

proper scale Falcon access ramp

appropriate scale AT-AT cockpit

appropriate scale AT-ST cockpit

proper scale Imperial Shuttle access ramp - so Vader and the Emperor can walk down the ramp as opposed to sliding down it in undignified fashion

too tired to continue this now. I'm sure I've a list for Jedi but i want to stop typing.