PDA

View Full Version : SOTE: WtF?

El Chuxter
08-11-2006, 05:26 PM
YodasNews.com: Will Hasbro ever go back and expand on the Shadows of the Empire line by adding some characters that are prevalent in the book but did not make the figure assortment?

Hasbro: Possibly, but our preference would be to go back and re-do (with current sculpting/articulation) some of those original Shadows figures first.

Uh, you can't be serious, can you?

There aren't a tremendous number of possible new figures, but one comes immediately to mind: Guri. EU fans are pretty unanimous in their desire for this character (action figure, I mean, though I wouldn't be surprised if some fellows want a 6-foot tall blonde robot :beard: ).

If you don't want to make her, fine. But resculpting the others first?

Let's think this over:

Leia as Boushh: She was resculpted quite nicely just a few months ago. I'll wager there are still some at retail in KB's and K-Marts across the country.

Han in Carbonite: He's been resculpted twice, most recently as the same time as the Boushh Leia.

Boba Fett: I've lost track of how many times he's been resculpted by this point.

Darth Vader: Ditto. There've been how many new sculpts of him in the past year alone?

IG-88: I think most folks will agree that the POTJ version was definitive.

Chewbacca as Snoova: Star Wars fandom as a whole is begging you to never let this figure or any new version see the light of day again. Not that the figure was bad. He was actually rather good for the time. But the premise is possibly the dumbest ever. We need never see another battle-armored Wookiee with a buzzcut.

Dash Rendar: Please. The character sucks. No amount of resculpting can ever change that. Don't even think of doing that to us. Without a new film, he would single-handedly kill the line.

Prince Xizor: Two good sculpts of a decent character, but, yes, they could be improved upon. However, he pegwarmed. Hard. He pegwarmed so badly that he was named an honorary member of both the Neimodian Army and the American Society of Rancor Keepers.

Luke in Imperial Guard Disguise: This one I might be interested in, if only for the cool army-builder design. I'd be more interested in Lando in Imperial Guard Disguise, but he'd be a new figure, wouldn't he? (Don't let Rogue II know if you resculpt this figure. There are sure to be comparisons to Wild Weasel and the Crimson Guards.)

Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker: Realistically, the only figure from this line who needs to be resculpted. We've seen other versions, but none are particularly worth writing home about. And he is the main character of the original trilogy, so this would be warranted.

Seriously, before resculpting most of these (any except Jedi Luke, in fact), consider Guri or another new character. Pretty please.

Devo
08-11-2006, 07:54 PM
He pegwarmed so badly that he was named an honorary member of both the Neimodian Army and the American Society of Rancor Keepers.

lol The Neimodian army retroactively enlisted him as an honorary member?? He was well before their time. And does my memory fail me or did the SOTE line also predate Malakali?

Well anyway the Irish Contingent of Boushh Chewbaccas would surely do likewise and welcome Xixor to the fold.

El Chuxter
08-11-2006, 08:31 PM
He did pre-date these other legendary pegwarmers. That's why he's only an honorary member and not rewarded full voting privileges. ;)

Devo
08-11-2006, 09:00 PM
It hardly seems fair to restrict his voting rights considering his OAP status in pegwarming figure terms. They ought to show a bit more reverance - particularly the neimodian army who are in relative infancy. You'd think they'd invented pegwarming or something.

As for SOTE I'm surprised it could be considered again. Did Hasbro bring it up of their own accord or did someone ask a question about it? I doubt I'd buy any figures from it tbh.

Phantom-like Menace
08-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I know Guri is the only figure I really want from that book. An Outrider the size of the Millennium Falcon toy would make me cry for joy for a solid year or more--real tears, streaming down my smiling face! But that seems rather impractical.

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Guri and Leebo need to be done, but what else really is vital that's new? Not much/nothing at all, so let's look at what they already did:

Chewie as Snoova - I liked the figure, but as Chux said, it's not something I'd want to see again. However, if it was really really cool with removable armor and gear, I'd probably get it.

Dash Rendar - unlike Chux, I really think Hasbro dropped the ball with the figure the first time around, that George Clooney bowl haircut sucks and the figure's build and some of the outfit and weapons are wrong. He's a must if we're gonna go back to SOTE. A Dash/Leebo 2pack would be nice.

Xizor - The first figure is fine, I suppose it could use a little loosening up but he's not an action character so I dunno if there's a particular need. If SOTE really does come back, I think he's a big enough character to warrant it though. A Xizor/Guri 2pack would be nice.

Luke as Guard - Like Chux said, we'd rather see Lando as this. The figure isn't that important, but this is the only interesting Lando for the line.

Jedi Luke - I always want to see this one done better!

JON9000
08-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I think they were probably referring to book specific characters like Xizor, Dash and Snoova. I would be willing to bet a Guri would be in the mix. There aren't enough blondes in star wars.

However, I doubt I would buy any, regardless.

Lord Malakite
08-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Leia as Boushh: She was resculpted quite nicely just a few months ago. I'll wager there are still some at retail in KB's and K-Marts across the country.

Han in Carbonite: He's been resculpted twice, most recently as the same time as the Boushh Leia.

Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker: Realistically, the only figure from this line who needs to be resculpted. We've seen other versions, but none are particularly worth writing home about. And he is the main character of the original trilogy, so this would be warranted.

Technically at least two (Han in Carbonite and Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker) of these three figures you listed Chux I wouldn't even consider SOTE figures despite the fact they came out at the same time. For them to be considered part of the SOTE line I think they would have to have actually come on a "SOTE" purple card. Those two appeared on POTF(2) cards.

Leia as Boushh could go both ways I suppose since it was available on both SOTE and POTF(2) cards.

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 07:12 PM
I think they were probably referring to book specific characters like Xizor, Dash and Snoova. I am afraid they are clearly referring to the figures they did back in '96, read the question and answer again, they'd rather redo existing figures than bring us major characters that never got figures before.

LM, Leia Boushh was first released in the SOTE line, so it does count I think. The POTF2 version was pretty rare and not released till the next year.

DarkArtist
08-13-2006, 08:34 PM
I myself would love to have an updated Shadows line:

Guri: definately need a figure of the beautiful assassin. I would love to see two versions of this figure made however, one is a dress version and one in her battlesuit like in Shadows of the Empire Evolutions.

Dash Rendar: would love to see an SA version of Dash, without that horrible backpack blaster thingie. Just give him a DL-44 and maybe a Leebo pack-in.

Princess Leia: not the Boushh version just a simple Leia perhaps even like in the end of Empire since the comic book version of Shadows begins where Empire leaves off, or a version of Leia in the seduction dress.

Luke Skywalker: here is a chance to get a decent Luke DS II figure with the yellow utility vest.

Lando Calrissian Coruscant Guard: no brainer.

Luke Skywalker: End of the Empire Strikes Back

Jinx: Bounty Hunter hired by Zixor to kill Luke Skywalker: could be a deluxe SA version that comes with a Swoop Bike