PDA

View Full Version : The Adult Swim thread

JediTricks
08-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I figure a catch-all for Adult Swim topics is in order now that our lives have been changed with the release of Metalocalypse.

Damn did that pilot kick ***, Dethklok RULES! Brendon Small of Home Movies fame really brought the heat with that one, I don't think there was a single moment where I wasn't blown away by how awesome that was - the jokes were hilarious, the parodies of metalheads were spot-on, and most stuff that makes fun of metal does it with crappy music but this was kick ***. I've already watched it twice on tape and once on Adult Swim Fix, I can't get stuff like:

"Skwisgaar Skwigelf - taller than a tree! Toki Wartooth - not a bumblebee! WILLIAM MURDERFACE, MURDERFACE, MURDERFACE! Pickles, the drummer - doodeley doo, ding dong doodeley doodeley doo! Nathan Explosion!"

and

"So you're telling me you put these little guys in boiling water and they shriek and they turn red and they die? That is the most metal thing I ever heard in my whole life! High five!"

and Hetfield & Kirk Hammett as the 2 wounded Dethklok fans, and Mark Hamill as the senator. And a million other great things.

I only wish the 2nd ep that was on Fix last night was anywhere near as good, Dethwater started great and had a few funny bits but was mostly flat like a lot of other Adult Swim lately.

Venture Bros has been uneven but funny lately, especially: IGNORE ME!!!

hamsterboy
08-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Tonight's Venture Brothers rocked. Loved Underbheit with his chamber that's like Vader's. Side note;G4 has Seth Green on Saturday on their show Icons. Just wish they had more about Robot Chiken.

Kidhuman
08-21-2006, 01:19 AM
I just started watching Ventire Brothers this season and I love it. That ingnore me was damn hilarious. Especially when they spoofed on the FF. Gotta love the Monarch.

JediTricks
08-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Tonight's Venture Brothers rocked. Loved Underbheit with his chamber that's like Vader's. Side note;G4 has Seth Green on Saturday on their show Icons. Just wish they had more about Robot Chiken.Oh yeah, VB was great, the SW mixed in with it, Dean's "I am a boy adventurer, like my father before me!" was just right, not forced at all.

I just started watching Ventire Brothers this season and I love it. That ingnore me was damn hilarious. Especially when they spoofed on the FF. Gotta love the Monarch.Oh man, the Professor Impossible stuff ripping on FF has always been good, but last night's ep when they actually call it out, saying the family Impossible won for their group costume as the Fantastic Four, that was the bee's knees (and it only was funny if you knew who they were, great inside joke).

Metalocalypse was back on track, not as good as the pilot but a lot to really enjoy, and Murderface stuffing that balloon guitar down the rock & roll clown's throat... good times.

I'm getting back into Moral Orel, I really enjoyed them the first time around and not immediately jumping into reruns really paid off, they feel almost as fresh the second time around.

drsidious
08-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Ignore Me!!!!!!

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Nicely done, and an Mooninites 'tar to boot!

What's odd about the recent VB is that there was some core stuff I didn't really care for, specifically the use of Girl Hitler, Catclops, and Manic 8-Ball, none of which really worked for me compared to their original incredibly introduction and now-defunct demise in season 1. Yet the ep overall was good, it's a paradox I guess. :p

Kidhuman
08-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Venture Bros is a repeat tonight, but still funny as hell.

basschick
09-10-2006, 07:07 PM
metalocalypse is now the thing i look forward to all week. i thought this week's offering was hysterical but my favorite is william murderface's birthday. the first one was a tribute to the death metal lifestyle and had us laughing like maniacs.

for people who love every metal or death metal stereotype, this is a show that makes us laugh at every metal thing we ever said or did.

and the music is awsome!

JediTricks
09-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Metalocalypse was really good last night, not quite as quotable as the pilot ep but really funny, Toki's catatonic state was too much, and the end scene with Murderface's grandpa... oh man. Unfortunately, it looks like Adult Swim may be putting it on hiatus temporarily, they're screwing up their schedule next week so bad it's hard to know when anything will be on - which reminds me, Korgoth of Barbaria was supposed to be on last night but got pushed back, it's on their AS Fix site now though.

Venture Bros had a lot of ups and downs, they got raunchy in a way they hadn't before, and the weirdness smacked of the ep's co-writer Ben "The Tick" Edlund. Also, and I hate to say this, but I think Jackson and Doc are starting to voice too many characters, they're all starting to sound alike, plus bringing in Dana Snyder again this week (he was the Alchemist in last week's "Fallen Arches") this time as the President eventually all I could hear was Master Shake (Snyder voices the ATHF character, and he does a fair job at not sounding like him in other roles but eventually it starts to creep in because of how prevalent Master Shake is). Brock had good lines but wasn't given anything to do and his original storyline petered out. Dr Venture I thought had the best stuff but even that was pretty slim. I dunno, I didn't dislike it but I couldn't give it thumbs-up either which means it's a weak entry for the series - I'll rewatch it soon and reevaluate.

JediTricks
11-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Oh man, AS had some winners last night. The last Robot Chicken of the season (maybe ever) had some good moments, the mother and baby cracked me up the most (odd since it's a relatively small moment).

Although Metalocalypse was nearly perfect last week with the Murderface finding religion episode, this week's may not have been good but Toki going mad was awesome and then his Lisa Frank-meets-Metal fantasy video was too funny.

Moral Orel's second season has been fantastic, top notch hilarious all the way, last week's Figurelli episode was going to be tough to top but this week's episode "Love" with Orel finding a dog and then the townspeople killing the dog for spreading true love throughout was over the top hysterical.

So, in closing, watch more Metalocalypse or else!!!

General_Grievous
11-22-2006, 12:32 PM
The last Robot Chicken of the season (maybe ever)

Robot Chicken isn't going anywhere. It's one of AS's highest-rated shows. They'll be back.

How about the new season of Aqua Teen? The one with the grill that caused a hole in the o-zone was my favorite one so far.

JediTricks
11-22-2006, 03:19 PM
The bumps suggested Robot Chicken is in limbo at this point, they're putting together a special for Feb but then... who knows. Being a high-rated AS show means very little unfortunately since their ratings are so weak, the top-rated show is Family Guy and that doesn't even usually pull a million viewers nationally. Plus, the producers have been hired to do a non-RC movie, it may take up their time.

Robot Chicken according to the AS website is picked up, but they've blown it before, still I figure it might be back.

General_Grievous
04-09-2007, 12:57 AM
So is anyone else going to check out Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Colon Movie Film For Theaters on Friday? I know I'll be there. Bruce Campbell voicing the fourth Aqua Teen? Count me in.

Rocketboy
04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I really want to. I haven't seen any commercials on tv, so I just hope it gets a wide release.

El Chuxter
04-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I hadn't heard anything, so I thought it was a late summer release!

Rocketboy
04-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Nope, it's this Friday.

El Chuxter
04-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I gathered that, Rockettad Diabornbi. :p

I meant that even I, who have been looking forward to it, had no idea it was already coming out, which can't be good. :(

General_Grievous
04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
If you guys tune into Adult Swim, you'll see a whole load of ads for it. Last night, they must have shown about 30 spots for it. Plus, both trailers are on youtube.

Trailer #1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9mVm6LxC8

Trailer #2:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=I1BU87gesGA

It's gonna be in a limited amount of theaters, like Borat, so it'll be in about 800 theaters. It probably won't make a lot of money (it may not even crack the top ten), but odds are it'll probably be playing at a theater near you, so no worries. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
If you guys tune into Adult Swim, you'll see a whole load of ads for it. Last night, they must have shown about 30 spots for it. Plus, both trailers are on youtube.And that is the problem - the only place to see anything about the movie is Cartoon Network.

Maybe they see it as a waste to advertise on other networks, since it'll probably only appeal to fans of the show.
Then again, there may be some casual fans that, despite the Boston incident, don't know there is a movie coming out, which it would make sense to advertise on Comedy Central, Mtv, ect.

El Chuxter
04-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Adult Swim comes on late, the schedule is inconsistent, and about 3/4 of their programs simply aren't funny. I prefer to catch the show on OnDemand. They may not be current, but I don't have to sit through carp like Harvey Birdman or A**y McGee to find 'em.

Rocketboy
04-12-2007, 11:23 PM
As expected, I won't be able to see ATHF until DVD as it's only getting an 877 theater release.
:frus:
And the nearest theater being in Flint - a 45-minute drive away.

El Chuxter
04-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Off-subject, but does the same theater show all of Michael Moore's movies when they open in a limited number of theaters?

General_Grievous
04-13-2007, 01:41 AM
As expected, I won't be able to see ATHF until DVD as it's only getting an 877 theater release.
:frus:
And the nearest theater being in Flint - a 45-minute drive away.

Aw, that sucks. :cry:

As for your question, Chux, that's kind of tough to answer because I remember Farenheit 9/11 having a wide release.

General_Grievous
04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
I just got back from seeing it. It was pretty damn funny. A lot of online reviews said it sucked, but they were wrong. They probably just didn't get the movie. It's nonsensical humor, much like the TV show. I'm not going to explain the plot (because it makes no sense), but it has some great funny moments in it, like the opening hardcore metal song that featured lyrics explaining everything you shouldn't do at the movie ("Don't kick the seat in front of you", "Sit down and shut up", "If you don't like the movie, then leave") while being threatening at the same time, Shake singing a song called "Nude Love", the Aqua Teens meeting their "parents" (a watermelon and a burrito, for the record), and Bruce Campbell's cameo as the fourth Aqua Teen, a giant nugget named Chicken Bittle. A lot of the villains are present, such as the Mooninites, the Plutonians, Dr. Weird, MC Pee Pants, and the Cybernetic Ghost (who unneccessarily humps things :p). The only downside is that there is a lack of Carl. He should have had more screentime. Overall, it was a lot better than I had expected. I'm hoping to catch it again in theaters. :thumbsup:

P.S. Stick around after the credits for an extra scene.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I plan to see it next week during the day sometime. The kids in my area are on spring break and the last thing i need are some obnoxious teenagers who just got into ATHF a year ago yapping during the movie. I am happy to hear it was funny. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
04-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the ATHF is about the lamest thing on TV? Am I also the only one who thinks the ad campaign for the "movie" is intrusive? The movie is getting horrible write ups by even the fans who have seen previews, so methinks a tanking is on the way.

General_Grievous
04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't understand some of the reviews by so-called "fans" on the internet. The movie follows the same structure as the show. I'll admit, some of the episodes of the show were funnier than the movie (I love the "Revenge of the Trees" episode). I saw the movie as similar to "Borat", which is a longer and edgier version of the show that it's based on. And this is coming from an ATHF fan. And like "Borat", I was a fan of "Aqua Teen" before it became "cool". But as for other non-fan reviews, I saw this on imdb.

Surprisingly, the movie receiving the most enthusiastic reviews this weekend is the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters . Kyle Smith comments in the New York Post: "The big-screen version of the demented Cartoon Network hit is often hilarious and always surreal." Indeed Stephen Hunter in the Washington Post apparently couldn't believe his eyes: "I just saw a movie in which a pack of french fries, a wad of ground beef and a milkshake save the world -- or at least, New Jersey -- from a psychotic giant exercise machine built 70,000 years ago by aliens." Several critics point out the absurdity of reviewing such an absurd movie. But Chris Kaltenbach in the Baltimore Sun remarks: "I have no idea what Aqua Teen Hunger Force was talking about, but most of the time, I was laughing too hard to worry." And Tom Maurstad in the the Dallas Morning News suggests the following as the tagline for both the movie and his review: "From the TV show that makes no sense comes a movie that makes no sense."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
From a movie that nobody seemed to like to some shows that nobody seems to like: what's everyone's opinion of Tom Goes to the Mayor and Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job? I really like both of them, they're just so damn weird all the time. Thankfully ASGJ is coming back with 30 more episodes. I love me some Chippy. :D

2-1B
08-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I was at Wizard World Chicago and saw this guy with wretched looking clown makeup...he went by the name Angus Oblong and he told me he did this show for Adult Swim but it got cancelled. I never heard of it before. He tried to sell me his book but I wasn't very interested in it.

General_Grievous
08-25-2007, 12:33 AM
From a movie that nobody seemed to like to some shows that nobody seems to like: what's everyone's opinion of Tom Goes to the Mayor and Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job? I really like both of them, they're just so damn weird all the time. Thankfully ASGJ is coming back with 30 more episodes. I love me some Chippy. :D
I liked Tom Goes To The Mayor, but I haven't caught much of Tim and Eric. As for my Adult Swim fix right now, I'm hooked on the new season of Robot Chicken.

I was at Wizard World Chicago and saw this guy with wretched looking clown makeup...he went by the name Angus Oblong and he told me he did this show for Adult Swim but it got cancelled. I never heard of it before. He tried to sell me his book but I wasn't very interested in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oblongs

JediTricks
08-25-2007, 03:47 AM
From a movie that nobody seemed to like to some shows that nobody seems to like: what's everyone's opinion of Tom Goes to the Mayor and Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job? I really like both of them, they're just so damn weird all the time. Thankfully ASGJ is coming back with 30 more episodes. I love me some Chippy. :DI don't care for either series, they're trying too hard to shotgun "weird comedy" and it smacks of laziness. The former, "mayor", was repetitive and plain in many ways, its comedy just sat there and waited for funny people to do pat jokey stuff in an "Adult Swim" way. The latter, "good job", has some interesting ideas but doesn't know what kind of humor works with what and doesn't know when to end OR start a bit. It doesn't surprise me in the least that both shows fall back on Bob Odenkirk, that's his MO really.

I was at Wizard World Chicago and saw this guy with wretched looking clown makeup...he went by the name Angus Oblong and he told me he did this show for Adult Swim but it got cancelled. I never heard of it before. He tried to sell me his book but I wasn't very interested in it.Oblongs was actually for The WB, had name actors, tanked hard because the WB is the wrongass place for such a show. It was alright, kinda tepid humor, Adult Swim plays it pretty late at night. I didn't really dig the show, but I could tell there were some interesting ideas behind it.

2-1B
08-25-2007, 03:53 PM
I didn't know who did the voices of the Oblongs but someone was talking to the creator Angus about Will Ferrell being funny in it...Angus said that Mark Hammill auditioned as well and Angus thought he was better than Will but the studio won out. I'm not surprised at all by that choice.

Also we were eating at Denny's around 10pm that night when Angus came in through the doors still wearing that makeup. Something is odd/wrong about a guy in a rubber nose and smeared facepaint eating at Denny's.

Come to think of it, I suppose there's something wrong with ANYONE eating at Denny's. lol lol lol

Kidhuman
01-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I was on the AS website and they are starting to sow reruns of the Venture Bros on Sunday nights at 12:30. Hopefully this means a new season is starting soon.

JediTricks
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Sadly not, we're looking at summer now.

AS scheduling has gone down the crapper, the only new shows on now are unwatchable crap: Xavier Renegade Angel and Tim & Eric (sorry T&EASGJ fans, but it doesn't work unless you're really high). So many reruns now.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Are you calling JabbaJohnL a stoner?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Are you calling JabbaJohnL a stoner?
The only drug I need is Chippy, and it gets me high every time. :cool:

Kidhuman
05-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Venture Bros. Season 3, 6-01-08. Just asw it on Adult Swim

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Fantastic!!! I knew it was early coming in June, but not the 1st, that's great.

I'm going to the Dethklok tour on June 6th.

mabudonicus
08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Damn, how good was DethKlok JT??

I have only "discovered" the show in the past few weeks and am pretty much addicted to it, everything you stated in the first post was spot on. I don't even like death metal too much, but it's melodic and hilarious enough to make me love the hell out of it.

Supposedly there's new articulated figures coming out soon, which just might warrant buying.
:beard: Iso&Baws
"I can't believe we summoned a Troll, why didn't we think of that sooner??"

JediTricks
08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
The acoustics sucked in the venue, the first act was only so-so, but Chimaira was really good and Dethklok was amazing even though I couldn't actually make out the new dialog during the show (lousy acoustics). But truly awesome, and plenty of new material, and the way they had the band anti-lit was really clever, you could see Brendon Small and the band shredding but only just barely, they were in black while the animation showed on the screen. The crowd was fantastic, but no moshing was the venue's policy. Still, I wish I could have gone to another show it was so good.

The figures are from Shocker toys, they had the first set of 'em at Comic-Con and weren't selling, but the next figs will be more articulated and have instruments supposedly.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the series! It just came back with a new ep the other day, a double-length one, Toki really owns the end of it.

mabudonicus
09-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey, did y'all catch the finale "Black Fire Upon Us"??

It sounds freakin EPIC but alas I'll have to wait til someone uploads it illegally :dammit:

Any thoughts on whether it met/exceeded the end of the first season (which was a GIGANTICALLY awesome episode)

Thanks for the review of the show JT, glad you enjoyed it, hopefully they'll tour again sometime

KILLER show.

JediTricks
09-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I was very lucky that I decided to watch it live instead of relying on tape, because I set the VCR for a 15 min ep and it was 30. The ep is a mixed bag, some stuff is really doofy, but some stuff works really well. I ultimately enjoyed it enough that I'll watch it again soon.

mabudonicus
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Well, since my last post in here we ended up getting both seasons AND the Dethalbum (which despite me not really digging death metal is a REALLY great album, and much more heavy metal then "true" death metal)

Some of the songs that barely got used in the show are surprisingly solid throughout. Too bad we didn't get the "extended" version but in this town you get what you can find.

Seasons 1 and 2- there's a real interesting contrast between the 2- the first one is somehow WAY lighter than the second, with much of season 2 being kinda horrific- where DethKlok triumphed in the first season, the second one has them basically losing everything (the very very end of the season 2 finale is somehow HUGE depressing yet grim and awesome like Norse mythology)

I can't even begin to guess what the 3rd season will bring, and the tentative release date is sometime in freakin september which is WAYlater than I had figured- Owell, I hope they use the time to make it PERFECT

Oyes 9 months- someone on another site actually said (and I agree) "It's like I'm pregnant with DethKlok!!"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
I saw the other day that Mighty Boosh is coming to adult swim later this year. Sweet!

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Season 2 of Metalocalypse wasn't as good for me, it was a little broader, but it was still awesome because it was Dethklok. Brendon Small just yesterday announced he's working on Dethalbum II, I so cannot wait!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I saw the live Tim and Eric show yesterday in Denver and it was freakin' amazing. DJ Dougg Pound started with about 25 minutes of intentionally-bad remixes and jokes (on the subject of making videos with people farting into each other's butts in the bad economy: "I'm just trying to make ends meet"). When Tim and Eric came out, they were in skintight gold bodysuits and sang a song consisting only of the word "Diarrhea" over and over again, which kind of set the tone for the whole night. There was SO much stuff, including all the Kid Break songs, the Beaver Boys, Spagett, Sexual Romance (with Sire, no less), footage from season 4 during their costume changes, a seminar on how to get the Tim and Eric Touch by buying a DVD of hot tubs and entering a ridiculous code to get an easter egg, performances by James Quall and David Liebe Hart, and plenty of singalong opportunity. In short, it was great. :D

Tim and Eric were available outside for pictures (we forgot to get autographs, damn it) and the picture of us with them was super blurry (seen here (http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2059/180/60/1077720066/n1077720066_30096872_2993.jpg); left to right it's Eric, me, Tim in the red shirt making a weird face, and my friend Eric barely visible) but it was still really cool to meet them and shake their hands. Outside the three other cast members were talking to fans; we got a picture with James Quall (http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2059/180/60/1077720066/n1077720066_30096871_2741.jpg) and his autograph. David Liebe Hart was seriously asking for rent money and drawing sketches of people for $10 and giving his phone number to blonde women; we figured it would be better if we just left. :D

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you had a good time, but man do I hate Tom Goes to the Mayor and Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job.

Adult Swim has begun airing "Look Around You" at the bizarre 1am timeslot, but I'm hooked on this UK import. Too bad there's only around 10 episodes total. But the first 2 they aired were hilarious, rock solid material. It's hard to watch this show and hear that Tim & Eric got their ideas partly from it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I saw the Maths episode of Look Around You today online. It was quite funny. Peter Serafinowicz, aka Darth Maul's voice, had a part in it, for the record.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Glad to hear you checked out and enjoyed "Maths". "Water", the other episode they aired last Sunday, is also online and worth checking out. Watch it before Saturday's end though, as they'll likely pull the full episode on Sunday to make way for the next ep or eps, as they often do.

I didn't realize that was the same guy as Maul's voice, I recognized the name but couldn't remember how. Not just an acting part (he plays the scientist), he also wrote and co-created it, and created much of the music.

El Chuxter
01-24-2009, 01:53 AM
I noticed on the programming guide that they're airing The PJ's. Do they want to lose the audience in that time slot to QVC or something?

JediTricks
01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I dunno what they were thinking, PJs and KOTH, yet new programming (to them) gets pushed to 11:30 or even 1am. Sick of their crap.

El Chuxter
01-28-2009, 01:00 PM
KOTH was at least funny at one point. PJ's never was. That was one of the worst shows ever. I'd rather see Greg the Bunny than PJ's. The funny show, not the unfunny film parodies from IFC.

JediTricks
01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Greg the Bunny was awesome on Fox, I never saw the IFC things though. PJs was really weak, its finest moments are the sewer lid callbacks on Futurama.

El Chuxter
01-28-2009, 04:38 PM
It seems the only IFC Greg the Bunny I've ever seen aired is a spoof (of sorts--it really isn't funny at all) of Natural Born Killers. It is the exact opposite of the Fox show. Strong language, graphic violence, and not a single laugh.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I watched the final of Look Around You yesterday. That series was really something great.

The Mighty Boosh sucks mightily, though. I get the impression that it's a bunch of guys who think they're funnier than they really are, mistaking weirdness for comedy. (I imagine that's how some people see Tim and Eric, but I still love them so.)

Kidhuman
04-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Anyone know when The Venture Bros start up again?

mabudonicus
04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Ahh I KNEW it wasn't just me, JJL. A lot of folks were shocked that I couldn't "enjoy" Mighty Boosh, and I was similarly puzzled as to what the HELL they saw in the show. There's the RARE little chuckle but it is NOT funny or engaging to me in any way.

Seriously, look up The IT Crowd and you will LOVE it.

METALOCALYPSE is pretty much confirmed for October. Strong rumour has it that this season will feature half-hour episodes, which is hopefully going to be handled right. The double eps in season 2 seemed like an extra special treat BUT also felt a little lag-y so we'll have to hope they got that worked out

IT crowd is FUNNY in a pure formulaic (tho outrageous) sit-com way

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I still have the first 18 episodes of IT Crowd on my computer but keep forgetting to watch them. I'll start soon, though.

JediTricks
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
I watched the final of Look Around You yesterday. That series was really something great.

The Mighty Boosh sucks mightily, though. I get the impression that it's a bunch of guys who think they're funnier than they really are, mistaking weirdness for comedy. (I imagine that's how some people see Tim and Eric, but I still love them so.)Totally, the finale was a lot of fun, and they did a fair job cutting Prince Charles into the show.

Man, you aren't kidding about Mighty Boosh though, I gave that show 10 minutes of my life and felt like I had been robbed at gunpoint for them. Apparently it's popular on the radio, can't think of why.

Anyone know when The Venture Bros start up again?Fall. I'm so anticipating season 4, there are a bunch of hints on the season 3 DVD commentaries.

Ahh I KNEW it wasn't just me, JJL. A lot of folks were shocked that I couldn't "enjoy" Mighty Boosh, and I was similarly puzzled as to what the HELL they saw in the show. There's the RARE little chuckle but it is NOT funny or engaging to me in any way.How high were they in comparison to you? Honestly, I can't imagine any amount of drugs making it funny or engaging.

METALOCALYPSE is pretty much confirmed for October. Strong rumour has it that this season will feature half-hour episodes, which is hopefully going to be handled right. The double eps in season 2 seemed like an extra special treat BUT also felt a little lag-y so we'll have to hope they got that worked outIt is confirmed that it's coming this fall. I can't imagine it going to 30 mins (22 really), but that would be awesome. Brendon Small sounds like he's running himself thin working on the show and writing the 2nd Dethalbum.

mabudonicus
04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
How high were they in comparison to you? Honestly, I can't imagine any amount of drugs making it funny or engaging.
Meh about the same ;)
I like most of the principals(principles?) but can't figure out for the life of me where the funny is- I was forced to sit through a couple of episodes but had to put my foot down. If they ever show "Snuff Box" or "Man to Man with Dean Learner" (both of which are hilarious- man to man is a spin-off of "Dark Place", a late-night talk show hosted by the zany black guy who played the director of the hospital and Moss on IT crowd- it's 6 episodes and in each one there's a different guest, always played by "Garth Merenghi", who even gets his own episode which is pretty damn funny itself)

Check out them for what the real funny guys (who were sidelined in "Boosh") are capable of, I guarantee you will at LEAST find it entertaining if not rolling on the floor funny
Oyes JT look on youtube for "Snuff Box Guitar Lesson" and "Snuff Box Empty Room" to see what I mean, I won't link cos I'm pretty sure there's at least one curse word in one of em ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I just watched that Empty Room clip, holy crap! Matt Berry is just awesome.

Looks like Man to Man is on YouTube, or at least the first episode cut into pieces but apparently complete, so I want to see that now. I watched the first episode of IT Crowd and it was indeed quite funny.

mabudonicus
04-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah, that "Empty Room" cracks me up every time- the "guitar faces" he makes in that clip are downright hilarious. An interesting side-note, he wrote all the music for Snuff Box and AD/BC and recorded it in his appartment, playing all the instruments, making him that much more awesome.

IT crowd starts off good but honestly gets way funnier as it goes on. Also if you're a fan of Matt Berry (and if you watch them in order so you get familiar with how the characters work) you are going to flip when you get into season 2 ;)

JT- I am 99% positive that Metalocalypse is going to be 22 minute episodes. Small seems to be in control of his schedule- gotta remember that work has been underway on this season since last summer if not earlier. The one thing I am not sure of is whether there will be 20 episodes or if the longer format would cut that number down. Either way the writing should be a little easier- the overall story arc really got solidified in season 2, the Metalocalypse is fully underway and with how 2 wrapped up, the story could go lots of ways- you know something has to come of the destruction of mordhaus- will they rebuild, did they have a backup, will they go all A-team mobile or will there be a sit-com-like tale of them finding totally inadequate (and thus hilarious) new digs??

And Ofdensons status- will he be replaced, revived, revealed as what I suspect he truly is?? Is Seletcia a force for good or bad- is he in fact on DethKloks side, or just using them to unleash some sort of power only to claim it himself??

The number of "questions" built in makes me fairly confident that there is a plan in Smalls mind- it's not so bad as trying to write say a season of South Park since there is an actual story.

Oh and yeah hopefully DethAlbum 2 will street before the show, I need my DethKlok fix dammit, I can pretty much recite the entirety of what has come before...
It's funny because it's not

Blue2th
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Some of you guys don't like The Mighty Boosh very much, but "The Crack Fox" just tore me up. lol

English humor I guess.

JediTricks
04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't know, I stopped watching halfway through the first ep.

mabudonicus
10-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Had to bump this up as the 3rd season of Metalocalypse starts sunday November 8th.
I am cautiously optimistic for this one, the last season got a little "soft" in some episodes, and I sincerely hope that was due to the writers having too many ideas that had to be kept back until the actual Metalocalypse was fully underway
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
DethKlok! Dethklok!!

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I agree that season 2 was a little soft. The 2nd album wasn't as good as the first either. But I'm still going to be there, no question.

BTW, the format has changed to 30 minute.

Kidhuman
11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Anyone been watching the New VEnture Brothers? The Captain sunshine episdoe was hilarious.

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I have been watching VB of course, and I'm not quite feeling it with this season yet. Granted, the premiere was a disaster on the west coast, airing the first 11 mins twice instead of the second half of the episode, but it feels like it hasn't come together.

Captain Sunshine didn't do it for me, even if it was Kevin "Batman" Conroy as the sunny hero. Ripping on Superman, Batman & Robin being gay, Michael Jackson, and even Birdman just felt like toothless stuff we've seen done better elsewhere, and having another pedophile plotline so soon again feels like it's become the show's obsession. I did laugh like hell at the payoff for the lube joke though, that was clever and unexpected. And Ghost Robot was a win. Barbie-Q was flat even when I did get that she's a barbie doll tho'.

Also, with the loss of Brock, it's become the Doc & Jackson voiceover show, everybody now sounds like Hank or Mr Cardmember or every other voice they do, they've gotten South Park lazy in that respect.

Kidhuman
11-11-2009, 03:00 PM
no Brock does suck.

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 04:39 AM
For a second, I read that with a comma, and was about to get miffed. :p

I thought last Sunday's episode was a little stronger, despite being a tad too familiar. And oh Princess Tiny Feet, how could you?