PDA

View Full Version : Opened a bunch of figures up

JON9000
08-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Unfortunately, my collection has grown beyond my ability to store, and so I've had to make the decision to open what I want to keep, and sell what I really don't care for. I've decided to open and keep what I consider to be the best version of the "iconic" characters from the OT and PT, army builders from the OT and PT, figures that are worth relatively little but have cool accessories I would like to keep from the OT, and Tatooine/Cantina/Palace figures that I don't have opened already. I bought some clear plastic bait boxes and organizers with handles to store them in.

Here's what I have opened over the last week or so:

Rebels:
Hoth Rebel Soldier- Goes nicely with a deluxe trooper I have open already
Rebel Fleet Trooper GC- This guy kinda sucks... even worse off the card
Rebel Fleet Trooper POTJ- Ahhh! Much better. This is a great figure!
Luke Commtech and Luke FF- I'm now thinking about picking up a SAGA2 luke to open and keeping all these accessories and dumping the other looseys. I'd be left with a sort of ultimate Luke! I really like the new SAGA likeness... I'll have to see about articulation.
Chewie OC- I needed a bowcaster to go with the Chewie I already have open- Cloud City Chewie, an old fave.
Ben OC- My favorite modern Ben, as the soft goods on the VOTC tend to billow.

Imperials: - I already have a lot of imperials loose, Lotsa sandys, VOTC stormies, VOTC Vader etc. These make the army more diverse and bigger-
Snowtrooper GC now I have 2 loose!
POTJ Imperial Officer this is a sweet figure. POTJ really took figures to a new level. I want another!
Death Star Droid FF This thing is really cool. Interestingly, his paint job was starting to liquify in the package where his hand hits the bubble. also, I seem to remember him being black... he has changed to more of a Deep, dark, metallic purple.
ATST Driver Sucky figure, but I needed a loose one.
Stormtrooper OC- looks pretty lame next to my 2 VOTC stormies!
Vader commtech- all I want is the chip and the interrogation droid!

Tatooine:
Jawa / GONK- I always wanted to open this guy up for the GONK droid, and while cool, how do you stand him up with that walking action feature?!
POTJ Sandpeople- Looks alot better off the card. The plastic detailing on his robes are great and he holds the rifle really great. A new favorite!

Palace:- I have almost every Palace figure open any way, but not these until now!
Leia Slave with Barge Cannon- what can I say, really cool!
Ree-Yees- Very nice
SOTE Boussh- Looks a lot better off the card and in her helmet.

Rogue II
08-13-2006, 07:12 PM
To fix the Gonk, get a clear rubberband from one of the figures you just opened and wrap it around his ankles. And now you have a standing GONK.

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Congrats on the opening of figures! One thing I've found hard about that lately is how oversized their accessories are, there's no way I'm going to be able to arm all the figures that need imperial blasters with the new smaller one (VT had made it a pet project to help me with this actually).

Hoth Rebel Trooper, is that the POTF2 one or the horrid Saga one? I don't have an issue with the POTF2 one, although it is a bit dated, but that Saga freaky under-scale figure...

RFT - Rebel Freak Trooper, it felt like *such* a long time until the POTJ one.

POTJ RFT - my only complaint is that his weapon is too small.

Freeze-Frame Luke's only unique accessory is the blastshield helmet. So you'd need that, the long rifle from Flashback Photo Floppy Hat Luke (who is the only one whose belt can accomodate the macrobinoculars unfortunately), the hat and binoculars and everything else from Saga2 Luke, and the T-16 model and scraping tool from Commtech Luke. Man, they really spread this stuff out! Saga2 Luke shares Commtech Luke's body, so the articulation is of course identical.

Orange Card buff-short Chewie just for his bowcaster, ouch! :p And it's not even THAT good, it's recognizable but not very accurate.

Orange Card Ben is your favorite even with the high collar and split-robe? I prefer the Flashback Photo version for the plastic robe needs, but to be honest no 1 Ben figure really does it for me.

I have a lot of Green Card Snowtroopers too, I prefer them over the Saga version.

On the POTJ Imp Officer, keep in mind Hasbro re-released him a few times in the Saga line with slight changes, so if you go after him on ebay, don't constrain yourself to just POTJ.

Death Star Droid was always purple, but that sucks about his paint liquifying. Hasbro has a real poor track record with paint-on-chrome. Still a cool fig though.

I don't think the AT-ST Driver is that bad, but I did consider replacing him with General Han in AT-ST disguise.

I have a dozen of those Orange Card Stormies, it's so sad. Put them behind CTC or VOTC Stormies and it's not as bad though.

POTJ Tusken Raider is good, but I prefer the Saga headless Tusken Raider slightly, and now the VTSC version.

I still haven't opened my POTJ dlx Leia with Sail Barge Cannon yet.

To fix the Gonk, get a clear rubberband from one of the figures you just opened and wrap it around his ankles. And now you have a standing GONK.
I prefer around the base of his feet, less movement that way.

Kidhuman
08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I believe my day to open is coming real soon as I am running out of room.

JON9000
08-14-2006, 08:21 AM

Good call.

I believe my day to open is coming real soon as I am running out of room.

It's like Christmas Day.

Congrats on the opening of figures! One thing I've found hard about that lately is how oversized their accessories are, there's no way I'm going to be able to arm all the figures that need imperial blasters with the new smaller one (VT had made it a pet project to help me with this actually).

Yeah, that's a problem for sure with blasters. I remember the first figure I opened with a correctly scaled imperial blaster was Cloud City Chewie and wondering why they hadn't done them that way in the first place! Honestly, though, I only have a few POTF2 figures opened up that come equipped with blasters, so it isn't really a problem. The most offensive is the Han blaster. Those things look plain dumb.

Hoth Rebel Trooper, is that the POTF2 one or the horrid Saga one? I don't have an issue with the POTF2 one, although it is a bit dated, but that Saga freaky under-scale figure...

POTF2. I passed on the SAGA one. I hated the pose. Although I now remember that I opened a SAGA Endor Trooper, and it is posed just as badly. Nobody stands like that.

RFT - Rebel Freak Trooper, it felt like *such* a long time until the POTJ one.

POTJ RFT - my only complaint is that his weapon is too small.

Yeah, they look pretty goofy standing next to each other. The Freak is chewie sized and the other one is pretty small. I really wish this figure could be revisited with SA.

Freeze-Frame Luke's only unique accessory is the blastshield helmet. So you'd need that, the long rifle from Flashback Photo Floppy Hat Luke (who is the only one whose belt can accomodate the macrobinoculars unfortunately), the hat and binoculars and everything else from Saga2 Luke, and the T-16 model and scraping tool from Commtech Luke. Man, they really spread this stuff out! Saga2 Luke shares Commtech Luke's body, so the articulation is of course identical.

Well, dang, I was gonna use the Landspeeder Luke for the Rifle. the Macrobinocs... hmmm. Actually, I'm probably going to use the newest Luke for the figure, but I want to have a look at him OOP first before deciding.

Orange Card Ben is your favorite even with the high collar and split-robe? I prefer the Flashback Photo version for the plastic robe needs, but to be honest no 1 Ben figure really does it for me.

I like OC Ben because his hood is down. I really wish VOTC Ben had been a little better. I also wish they would have released him with his ROTJ cardback instead, but that's another thread!

POTJ Tusken Raider is good, but I prefer the Saga headless Tusken Raider slightly, and now the VTSC version.

I missed out on SAGA2 Tusky as I did a lot of other figs. There were just too many that year. I'll look into him though, as I would like a couple more loose ones. I'm hoping to run across on e of these rumoured $3 ones at Target, but I don't think its happening.

I still haven't opened my POTJ dlx Leia with Sail Barge Cannon yet.

A very impressive figure with "real" hair braid and cloth skirt.

kool-aid killer
08-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I moved a couple of weeks ago, and im gradually opening up the boxes i had tossed my Star Wars figures into for the move. Ive got eight 50 gallon totes holding my figures and vehicles in the houses 2nd garage that i need to go through too, but i want to take inventory of what all ive got and i think that im going to end up being able to open a couple of them when i run across the better versions that Hasbro has released recently.

JediTricks
08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Yeah, that's a problem for sure with blasters. I remember the first figure I opened with a correctly scaled imperial blaster was Cloud City Chewie and wondering why they hadn't done them that way in the first place! I bought a second POTJ Bespin Leia and Lando for the extra blasters, I'm a goober that way. :D

I passed on the SAGA one. I hated the pose. Although I now remember that I opened a SAGA Endor Trooper, and it is posed just as badly. Nobody stands like that.But he's crazy super action man! ;) Yeah, Saga kinda screwed up SW collecting with those action poses meant to go with the blast effects, it took a while for Hasbro to back off.

Yeah, they look pretty goofy standing next to each other. The Freak is chewie sized and the other one is pretty small. I really wish this figure could be revisited with SA.I have mine together like that, it's pretty sad. The kneeling POTJ one is ok though.

Well, dang, I was gonna use the Landspeeder Luke for the Rifle. the Macrobinocs... hmmm. Actually, I'm probably going to use the newest Luke for the figure, but I want to have a look at him OOP first before deciding.Landspeeder Luke, I didn't get him so forgot all about that. If you have it, that's fine. TSC Luke has the macrobinocs too but they don't clip onto his belt unfortunately, but I'd still just stick with that.

I like OC Ben because his hood is down. I really wish VOTC Ben had been a little better. I also wish they would have released him with his ROTJ cardback instead, but that's another thread!Yeah, VOTC Ben should have been better, and his robe shouldn't have been so crazy. Try putting a Jedi robe on POTJ old man Obi-Wan, that's an ok figure too but has no robe at all.

I missed out on SAGA2 Tusky as I did a lot of other figs. There were just too many that year. I'll look into him though, as I would like a couple more loose ones. I'm hoping to run across on e of these rumoured $3 ones at Target, but I don't think its happening.You mean Saga1 right? Because Saga2 is this year. The trouble with finding the Saga Tusken Raider is that they released a few too many in a short time, the one I'm talking about is from '03, it's #06, "Tusken Raider (Tatooine Camp Ambush)": http://www.rebelscum.com/sw0306tuskenraidertca.asp

I picked up a couple VTSC Tuskens for $3 at Target, but they've all sold out here now. They're already gathering dust in my collection, the cloth elements pick it up like a featherduster. ;)

A very impressive figure with "real" hair braid and cloth skirt.Cool, I'll have to open mine soon, no idea why I never did.

Rogue II
08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Try putting a Jedi robe on POTJ old man Obi-Wan, that's an ok figure too but has no robe at all.

I did that and he looks great. I didn't get the VOTC Ben, so I don't thinkI have a decent Ben to put in the Landspeeder.

Maybe it's just me, but there is something awkard about every Tusken Raider, especially the headless one. I like the POTJ mold the best. Unless I'm miskaken, it was repanted in a later line.

JediTricks
08-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, all the OT Tuskens are given more robes than they actually had in the movie, it makes them wider. Also, the heads are always a little off, even on the VTSC one. The POTJ mold is of the Ep 1 Tusken and is a little different than the OT design, it has a higher collar and no breather canister, that POTJ one was repainted as the Saga Tusken with Massif figure.

Rogue II
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
I forgot a bout the Tusken with Massif because I didn't buy it. What I was thinking of was the repainted POTJ Tusken that came out in the OTC (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=1705) line. They put some extra paint on his robes and his mask and belt are a darker color than the POTJ version.

Ji'dai
08-14-2006, 05:08 PM
I've always displayed that Gonk droid from the Jawa 2-pack upside down, being tortured by 8D8 and his droid branding device.

JediTricks
08-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I've always displayed that Gonk droid from the Jawa 2-pack upside down, being tortured by 8D8 and his droid branding device.
That's why I bought multiples of the set. :D

JON9000
08-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Well, I opened up POTJ Obi-wan and Commtech Stormie today. The Commtech Stormie is a really nice figure. I'm finding I kinda like Commtech chips.

POTJ Ben is pretty cool too. I'm going to dress him up in a soft cloak and see how it looks tomorrow!

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Good choices both of them. My love for the CTC Stormie has cooled in the 6 years since his release, but I still like him, he's "good enough" and probably the best Stormtrooper I'll be seeing for a while (I don't love the VOTC Stormie that much, too thin and too short and not shiny).

I'm a sucker for that POTJ Ben Kenobi, I know the head isn't as accurate as the VOTC but it the figure captures ANH Obi-Wan's essence so well that I prefer it to the other versions.

JON9000
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
yeah, I was actually surprised how much I like commtech Stormie in comparison to VOTC. I like VOTC more because I feel the Articulation and detail cannot be beat. But this guy is pretty nifty for $6.

I need to see what I can do with Ben. I've been thinking about getting some soft goods cloaks and soaking them in starch, and seeing if I can't get them to lay down a bit better. I've also thought about using super glue at certain points to hold the cloth down.

JediTricks
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Don't use superglue, you won't like the results I suspect, it'll spread and turn parts of the cloak white (that's if it doesn't start smoldering, which is also possible, I kid you not). The starch idea is a good one, I actually used a small piece of tape for the hoods on my Ep 1 cloaks which worked ok but the starch should be better.

I like the articulation on the VOTC, just not as much the actual body design.

JON9000
08-23-2006, 03:15 PM
I suppose it'll be starch and the occasion clothes pin in a few spots, then. Thanks for the tip.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-25-2006, 12:28 AM
I've been opening some figures lately because of Jaff's best/worst figure poll. This gives me a chance to get a better idea of what the figure is really like. We're near the end of the Episode I and POTF2 Commtech figures. Today, in anticipation of upcoming waves, I opened Naboo Royal Guard, Anakin Naboo Pilot, Qui-Gon Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Jedi Knight, and Darth Maul Sith Lord. Not too impressed with this lot.

Anakin Palpatine
08-25-2006, 01:02 AM
I moved a couple of weeks ago, and im gradually opening up the boxes i had tossed my Star Wars figures into for the move. Ive got eight 50 gallon totes holding my figures and vehicles in the houses 2nd garage that i need to go through too, but i want to take inventory of what all ive got and i think that im going to end up being able to open a couple of them when i run across the better versions that Hasbro has released recently.

Those eight 50 gallon totes will be come one for figures and a few more for vehicles if you open them up. I had to and it helped out a ton and was a ton-o-fun. I've always been more of a display/diorama type guy myself though. Hey, just a thought on making space.

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 02:00 AM
I've been opening some figures lately because of Jaff's best/worst figure poll. This gives me a chance to get a better idea of what the figure is really like. We're near the end of the Episode I and POTF2 Commtech figures. Today, in anticipation of upcoming waves, I opened Naboo Royal Guard, Anakin Naboo Pilot, Qui-Gon Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Jedi Knight, and Darth Maul Sith Lord. Not too impressed with this lot.Weird, those are some of the Ep 1 I find worked the best, even stupid baby Anakin with his cockpit dashboard (which really fits in the Naboo Fighter toy!).

kool-aid killer
08-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Those eight 50 gallon totes will be come one for figures and a few more for vehicles if you open them up. I had to and it helped out a ton and was a ton-o-fun. I've always been more of a display/diorama type guy myself though. Hey, just a thought on making space.

Ultimately, the plan is to display my collection in dioramas. I dont own a house yet, so im just keeping my collection in totes and boxes for that final move. I do open up certain figures though too, ive got a little under a dozen episode 3 clones i like posing with various Jedis or in mock combat scenarios throughout my room. With those few figures i have fun, i can imagine how much cooler it is to pose a hundreds of figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Weird, those are some of the Ep 1 I find worked the best, even stupid baby Anakin with his cockpit dashboard (which really fits in the Naboo Fighter toy!).True, the Anakin one isn't so bad, but Maul and the Jedi are kind of pose limited. Earlier versions were better. The Naboo Guard is somewhat preposed, but it is a good pose.

Wednesday, I went through some boxes in the garage in which I had my empty opened packages. I saved a bunch of room by finally throwing out the bubbles on a bunch of older ones. I had stopped saving them on recent ones I had been opening. So, I now have all my cardbacks in one box. Actually, my opened VOTC are in a separate box as they are in the protective cases they came in. Since I am keeping a carded set, I probably don't need to keep those cards .

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 01:09 PM
True, the Anakin one isn't so bad, but Maul and the Jedi are kind of pose limited. Earlier versions were better. The Naboo Guard is somewhat preposed, but it is a good pose.I like their poses, Maul with his "about to activate blade 2 and blow your minds" pose, Qui-Gon in an overhand fightin' pose, and Obi-Wan in a "just about ready to kick your ***" pose which is fairly neutral - granted, the Jedi Duel guys (the originals) are more posable but they don't look as good so it's a trade-off. I also like the newer versions sculpts, which are far superior.

Wednesday, I went through some boxes in the garage in which I had my empty opened packages. I saved a bunch of room by finally throwing out the bubbles on a bunch of older ones. I had stopped saving them on recent ones I had been opening. So, I now have all my cardbacks in one box. I started doing that a couple years ago, it got too crazy keeping all the bubbles, so I shoved a lot of 'em in the AT-AT box, that's full so I moved on to other boxes.

JON9000
08-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I opened up 4 more figures over the weekend, all from the Episode I collection: Jar Jar, Anakin w/ backpack, Watto and another destroyer Droid. I'm actually pretty impressed with Jar Jar and Anakin. Pretty decent sculpts and paint apps for their time. I'm especially impressed that they got Jar Jar's height right. He's pretty cool OOP. I think I like Watto in the package better, since his wings display a little better than when loose.

I was thinking a cool figure would be a wind-up Watto with flapping wings.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I think I like Watto in the package better, since his wings display a little better than when loose.

I was thinking a cool figure would be a wind-up Watto with flapping wings.When I put Watto on the Commtech base, he wants to fall back. I think the likeness is better on this version, but the Saga version has the stand that snaps into his back to keep him in a hovering pose.

One of the things I liked about the Episode I Pod Racing game was the stuff Watto said when you are in his shop.

JON9000
09-26-2006, 06:26 PM
ahhh, more recently opened figures!!!

Pote Snitkin is now free to mix with the rest of my loose Jabba flunkies.

I also opened up Aunt Beru and the Treadwell Droid.

I need a Wampa to go with my now loose Hoth Luke!

JON9000
10-26-2006, 06:35 PM
R1-G4 is now loose and happy hanging out with about 6 Jawas, a Gonk, and R5-D4.

He really is one of the coolest of the "statue" figs, a really great "collector's" piece.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
R1-G4 is now loose and happy hanging out with about 6 Jawas, a Gonk, and R5-D4.

He really is one of the coolest of the "statue" figs, a really great "collector's" piece.Yes, R1-G4 was great to get. I even got a second one so I could open one. Now I'm opening most new figures, but having an extra droid is always good.

pbarnard
10-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Yes, R1-G4 was great to get. I even got a second one so I could open one. Now I'm opening most new figures, but having an extra droid is always good.

I have 2 loose. 1 looks great in a Rebel/Republic hangar scene in the background.

JON9000
11-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I opened Zam Wesell from the Saga collection. This figure really sucks. Not even worth opening. It has a really goofy pose.

On the bright side, I opened up Ep I Naboo Obi-wan, and he's awesome!!

JediTricks
11-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Sadly true about Zam, her only positive features are that she has a face instead of just a veil, and she can fit in her speeder where the previous version had less success (not that either version fits in the speeder well mind you).

jjreason
11-05-2006, 01:28 AM
I don't know, I thought that figure wasn't too bad - especially in light of the preview version. You've got the removable face, removable forearm, cool & unique weapon - not to mention much more articulation than the (terrible) Sneak Preview Zam. I had this Zam out on display for a long time back in the day, her and Bespin Luke from the same line. Ahhhh, memories..... :)

JediTricks
11-05-2006, 03:50 AM
The pose is mega wonky, it's just horrid, it's like she's trying to go in 2 directions at once: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/swsaga/saga-zam_front.jpg

JON9000
11-17-2006, 04:26 PM
I opened up the Rebo Band Pairs (all) as well as the Rappertunie! All of these figures are pretty cool, but Max, Droopy, and the Rappertunie are a cut above the others. Joh Yowza doesn't particularly enjoy standing. I wish they had mic stands.

Actually, I hope they go back to the original Lapti Nek in the future version. Sy and Joh just look incredibly out of place in CG, althougth the original Sy was pretty awful puppet!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I have Rappertunie open, but have yet to open the Rebo Band pairs. Not enough room for them all where I have my Jabba's palace diorama set up.

JON9000
11-18-2006, 09:26 AM
you could always just have the non-SE lineup!

Kidhuman
01-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, tonight I opened up my ROTS figures. I am running out of room. Next up tomorrow is the Saga 2 and titaniums. I stuck them all in baggies. A sad day has fallen here. Remember me always as an MOC collector first. :cry:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Yes, I once had most of my collection carded, but I had always planned to open it sometime. At first, I only had a few duplicates opened, mostly army builder types. Then when I started opening a couple years ago, I started with common ones that weren't worth as much. Once I opened Ephant Mon, anything was openable after that. When we started doing the Wave by Wave thread, I began to open a lot more. Most of the stuff that I still have carded now is either duplicates or older stuff that I already have newer versions of opened.

JON9000
02-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Don't be sad, there really is no reason to keep them on card, especially ugly ROTS cards and bland SAGA 02-04 cards. The OTC and 05-06 SAGA cards are cool enough to keep carded.

Rogue II
02-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Well, tonight I opened up my ROTS figures. I am running out of room. Next up tomorrow is the Saga 2 and titaniums. I stuck them all in baggies. A sad day has fallen here. Remember me always as an MOC collector first. :cry:

Welcome to the fun side of the hobby. What good are toys if they are in their package?

It's not like any of them will be worth much, anyway. Except for your Ephant Mon. That's worth like a bazillion dollars at least.:yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Don't be sad, there really is no reason to keep them on card, especially ugly ROTS cards and bland SAGA 02-04 cards. The OTC and 05-06 SAGA cards are cool enough to keep carded.Indeed. I didn't feel too bad about opening up ROTS cards. I couldn't stack them like I did with my other figures. Saga and OTC figures were the best in that regards. TSC cards look nice and stack better than ROTS cards, but nothing like the Saga and OTC.

It's not like any of them will be worth much, anyway. Except for your Ephant Mon. That's worth like a bazillion dollars at least.:yes:Actually, looking through Brian's Toys catalog, some of the last Episode I figures are worth more, but Ephant is one that people would probably be willing to pay more for.

Kidhuman
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I am no tin it for the money really. Although I did keep the variant/errors carded. I am going to open more tonight. I am gearing up to saga 2 right now.

BountyHunterScum
02-10-2007, 08:51 AM
I bought Emperor's Wrath Vader from my friend yesterday.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Opened up my Rebo Band pairs on Saturday. It was really odd. I couldn't get Joh Yowza to stand up. I had it briefly, but then no luck. So he was just lying on the table when my mom came over the next day. She picked him up and set him on the table and he stood just fine. He hasn't fallen over yet. I still wish he had peg holes so I didn't have to worry about it.

One reason I opened them up was that I was rearranging some things and trying to consolidate stuff into fewer boxes. In the process, I was trying to fit all my unopened ROTS figures into one box. It just reminded me of how much I hated those cards and bubbles. Those things just don't stack well with the odd curved and angled bubbles. I wish they could all be like the Saga or OTC cards.

Kidhuman
02-17-2007, 10:54 PM
I opened all my Saga 2, GB and H&V figs earlier this week. Still have a bunch more to open up. Making progress here. Unsure if I am going to open all the battle packs and such as of yet.

Kidhuman
03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, so far i have opened them all except the POTF2 figures. I have cut it down to 1 50 gallon rubbermaid tote with all the figures in baggies and then shopping bags according to their lines. I had 1 50 gallon tote and 5 22 gallon totes filled with carded figures. The only ones still sealed so far are the VOTC, VTSC, and some error cards and foreign cards.

TheRealDubya
03-13-2007, 05:29 PM
The only ones still sealed so far are the VOTC, VTSC...

Same here. About two months ago I sold off ALL my POTF2 and opended up any "definitive" versions of figures I really liked, which meant all of my TSC figures. Now I just have all of my vintage stuff in vintage mini-action figure collector's cases and all my modern guys bagged in 4mil bags and in a big Sterilite tote. Then I have all my AFA cased MOC and loose guys on a display shelf, and one of each the Vintage-styled figure in AFA cases as well. I have SO MUCH more free space now, it's ridiculous. I went from like, 20 big cardboard boxes to two shelves and a tote. It felt effing great, and hey, they're toys and now I can handle them! Also just completed my loose, AFA graded Super Powers line, which I love. Next up -- Indiana Jones Kenner, carded collection.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Last couple weeks I've opened up quite a few figures, mostly army builder types. This allowed me to consolidate stored figures into fewer boxes. My Star Wars room is getting a bit more organized as a result. I bought a couple of tall 4-shelf Sterilite plastic cabinets. One has mostly vehicles, small vehicles, beasts and cinema scenes. The other has mostly 12 inch figures. Putting stuff in there tidied things up a bit, and freed up boxes to use for other stuff. That, combined with room saved by opening figures has cleared some space on my shelves.

The problem with opening figures is having a place to display them. I was able to squeeze most of the ROTS figures onto these two shelf units that most of my other ROTS figures are on. I found room for the AOTC figures on the table with my Geonosis playset. The Imperials and other OT figures found space on my Ultarama display and my Vintage Death Star Playset.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the empty storage boxes I have now.

JON9000
05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I put a lot of my loosies in tackle boxes. I bought 4 and each holds 48 figures. It beats the heck out of tons and tons of foldable boxes. I never got bazillion gallon tubs.

JON9000
05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I FINALLY opened a VOTC Han Solo. I should have done this forever ago, but I had a time finding them for retail after 2004. This figure ROCKS!!!! :thumbsup:

darko666
06-01-2007, 01:12 PM
i just can't get myself to open any Star Wars figure i buy. i don't play with them or set them up, for lack of room, but i just like the look of them in their packages. once i get my own place, it will look amazing when i have them all hung up in their respective order of release.

JON9000
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm a sucker for that POTJ Ben Kenobi, I know the head isn't as accurate as the VOTC but it the figure captures ANH Obi-Wan's essence so well that I prefer it to the other versions.

Okay, I finally got around to dressing this guy in ROTS Obi-wan's cloak and saber-hilt. Wouldn't you know, that POTJ Obi-wan is an outstanding figure just waiting for an update! A correct saber hilt plus a soft goods cloak works wonders. I solved the hood issue by tucking it back inside under the gown.

If they would re-release him with these accessories and slightly better paint it would be an outstanding figure. Articulation is out because the plastic underrobes are what makes the cloak fit so well.

Anyhow, if you have POTJ Old Ben and ROTS Ben, definitely give it a try.

TeeEye7
02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
i just can't get myself to open any Star Wars figure i buy. i don't play with them or set them up, for lack of room, but i just like the look of them in their packages. once i get my own place, it will look amazing when i have them all hung up in their respective order of release.

99% of the collection my son and I have still remains carded. As a graphic artist in a former life, the package design (for better or worse) is part of the appeal to me. The design grabs a part of history of the time in which it was made. Look how the re-release of the vintage packaging is appealing to most collectors. I don't care for the POTJ card, but I may appreciated in later years, who knows?

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Okay, I finally got around to dressing this guy in ROTS Obi-wan's cloak and saber-hilt. Wouldn't you know, that POTJ Obi-wan is an outstanding figure just waiting for an update! A correct saber hilt plus a soft goods cloak works wonders. I solved the hood issue by tucking it back inside under the gown.

If they would re-release him with these accessories and slightly better paint it would be an outstanding figure. Articulation is out because the plastic underrobes are what makes the cloak fit so well.

Anyhow, if you have POTJ Old Ben and ROTS Ben, definitely give it a try.
I think they need to do a new Obi-Wan entirely, I've lost my love for the POTJ figure's likeness since Hasbro kicked the sculpting up a few notches.

JON9000
02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Really? I think Kenobi head sculpts have been generally above average across generations. Humans are pretty tricky, but Hasbro seems to do Ben pretty well, with the possible exception of AOTC. I think this particular one has held up quite well in relation to some of the 30AC turds, like Moisture Luke and Mace.

JediTricks
02-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, if Alec Guinness had played those characters, I'd agree. :p Actually, I took Hasbro to task for the TAC line's main figures being such shoddy headsculpts in Q&A, and when we got the answer a friend of mine called me on the phone to say I was being mean. :D Anyway, the only head sculpt for Ben I think that comes anywhere near Guinness in the film is VOTC, and barely that, it's not a figure I'd want to revisit. The POTJ figure really doesn't look like the guy to me, it's too square (even the beard), too short, the eyes too big, the facial hair too bold, the mouth too wide, and the nose somewhat bulbous; even the hair's off. Take a look:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/toys/potjoldobiwankenobifront.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potj/POTJbenkenobiff1.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potj/POTJbenkenobiff2.jpg

JON9000
02-19-2008, 09:48 AM
the only head sculpt for Ben I think that comes anywhere near Guinness in the film is VOTC

I took a look at that before posting, just to make sure I wasn't nuts, and I couldn't see any big improvement in the VOTC. Maybe you can tell a lot more if you own the figure, as I passed. I think Ben is easier than most others because of the beard and the gray. 30AC was pretty atrocious, but aside from the occasional animated slant, the Legacy figures look to be an improvement. We shall see, eventually.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Instead of a new thread, I figured (pun always intended) this'd made an appropriate post. I went looking for Vintage SW at a couple of places yesterday; Vintage items purchased? None. :( However, I found a jackpot of "modern retired" figs, some at incredible deals (I bought 8). I passed on several others (Sleazbaggo, Ahmed best's guy, Lil' Boba and Kaminoan, Padawans, etc.). They were carded at time of buying, but are now gladly free of their plastic prisons. At $5.95 each: E1 Sio Bibble, E1 Pit Droids, AOTC blue card Ephont Mon (and dude is heavy! ), AOTC research droids 2-pack (forget their names, they're the ones who check out the Kamino dart), and four Star Tours droids (from SAGA, POTJ, and AOTC blue). Also found a few current 30th Anniv. figs, but I cannot post anything about them in this section. :rolleyes:

So they join the twenty or so loose figures requiring cataloging in my records.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I opened up several figures last week as well. Mostly army builder types. I had a box each for carded ANH, ESB and ROTJ figures. I opened up enough so that I could combine two of the boxes together and give me a little more space on the shelf I have them stored on. My Ultarama had space to display the opened figures as I had cleared that off a while back and put figures into these plastic drawer units I had bought.

Most of the figures I have carded now are the early POTF2 figures, and characters that I already have plenty of versions opened already. In some cases they are just repacks or repaints.

Here are the ones I most recently opened:

POTF2
Endor Rebel Soldier (already had one open)
Ewoks: Wicket & Logray
Gamorrean Guard (already had one open)
Ishi Tib
Orrimaarko (already had one open)
Ree-Yees

POTJ
Mon Calamari Officer (already had one open)

Saga 2002
Endor Rebel Soldier bearded (already had one open)
Endor Rebel Soldier no beard (already had one open)

Saga 2003
Snowtrooper (already had one open)

TSC
Death Star Gunner (already had two open)
Labria (still have the Cinema Scene version unopened)
Nabrun Leids & Kabe (still have the Cinema Scene Nabrun and exclusive Kabe & Muftak unopened)
Rebel Trooper black (already had one open)
Rebel Trooper white (already had one open)

Mad Slanted Powers
07-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I got a couple more of these 24 drawer Akro-Mills (http://www.akro-mils.com/home_office/coupon_display.asp?id=107) storage cabinets, giving me a total of 4. I also have 5 of the 44 drawer cabinets (http://www.akro-mils.com/home_office/coupon_display.asp?id=108) and a couple different sized ones of another brand. I had three boxes holding all 40 of the TAC and TLC Comic Packs I have. I opened them all up, except for the extra Luke/Mara one where Mara had a green saber, and I was able to fit them into one of the 24 drawer cabinets with room for at least another 16 Comic Packs in the future. So, that will take up a lot less space.

I really like these cabinets. The small drawers are just about right for a basic figure that is average size, not extreme posed, or have too big of a hard plastic cape. Sometimes I can even fit two in there if the figures are small and/or neutral enough. The larger drawers I can use for figures that are too big for the small drawers, or to group similar figures. Good for storing a squad of troopers, or all the figures from a Battle Pack. The downside is that the figures are not secured in the drawers, and they wouldn't travel well with the figures in them as is.

At this point, with space becoming scarce, I'm doing whatever I can to make what I have take up less space. Consolidating 3 boxes (and what would eventually be more than 4 boxes) into one of these cabinets saves a lot of space.

DarthQuack
07-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Those are pretty sweet cabinets....may have to pick up a few myself.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Those are pretty sweet cabinets....may have to pick up a few myself.
I used to get them at Target, but haven't found them there anymore. Now I get them at Fred Meyer, but the price went up, and they were already more than Target. I think the red ones are $33. They had the blue ones that were all small drawers, but not the black ones. Recently, they had the black ones for $20.99, so that is why I grabbed a couple more.

Ji'dai
07-31-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't really get putting figures into those hardware cabinets.

Why not just put your loose figures in small snack-size or sandwich-size zip lock bags and store them in a small tote? I put some accessories in small plastic pencil boxes so they don't get bent out of shape, but otherwise all the accessories go with the fig into a bag.

Ando
07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Here's what I do:

I bought some little fishing tackle style boxes at a shop in Seattle (Daiso) for all the weapons, helmets, accessories, etc. and the figures are all in ind. grade ziplock bags in a Sterilite bin in the closet.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-31-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't really get putting figures into those hardware cabinets.

Why not just put your loose figures in small snack-size or sandwich-size zip lock bags and store them in a small tote? I put some accessories in small plastic pencil boxes so they don't get bent out of shape, but otherwise all the accessories go with the fig into a bag.
Because with the cabinets, I can note exactly where each figure is. If I have a big tote full of bags of figures on top of each other, then I would have to dig through to find what I want. Right now, I've just drawn grids on some engineer paper and wrote which figures are in each slot. Eventually, I'll probably type it up and make something much nicer. I might also arrange them differently at some point.

Also, I thought I've heard reports of some plastic bags not being good for the figures. Maybe it is isolated cases, or a certain type of bag. I guess for me, this is closer to the old carrying case I have. It's not perfect, but for now it has helped me save some space.

Ji'dai
08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
I've been storing figures (and LEGO) in zip-lock bags for nearly ten years without any ill effects. I hear what you're saying though, I have to dig to find a figure, but it's a much more efficient space saver. I segregated my loose figures by trilogy to make it easier to find something, but I still have to dig.

Prior to that I just stored loose figures in shoe boxes. After a couple of years, I noticed that figures lying on top of one another like that soon begin to stick together. When I pulled them apart the paint came with it. Seemed like I had that problem a lot with Episode I figures, especially with the accessories. But I stored my vintage figs in a plastic tupperware container on top of each for years without incident.

So bagging figures individually or putting them into trays/compartments is the way to go.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Prior to that I just stored loose figures in shoe boxes. After a couple of years, I noticed that figures lying on top of one another like that soon begin to stick together. When I pulled them apart the paint came with it. Seemed like I had that problem a lot with Episode I figures, especially with the accessories. But I stored my vintage figs in a plastic tupperware container on top of each for years without incident.Maybe it is just those Episode I figures. For quite a while, I had them displayed on top of a bookcase cabinet in my living room. After a while, when I would pick one up, it would seem a little sticky. I thought maybe it was just the dust. Hopefully, nothing happens with all the figures I have together in some of the drawers.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I've opened several more figures recently. Mostly ROTS and POTJ, and a few TAC and others. I've now condensed all of my unopened basic figures from Episode I, POTJ, ROTS and TAC into one box.

So, I'm getting closer to having all of my basic figures opened. In addition to that box, I have a bigger box that has Saga and TSC figures. Most of those are duplicates or repacks. I also have a box of POTF2 figures, mostly early ones. I also have carded versions of all the VOTC, VTSC and VTAC, OTC and McQuarrie figures. I have a lot of exclusive figures still carded as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I did a lot more opening of figures this week. I opened most of my remaining POTF2 figures, including all the EU and SOTE figures. Most of the remaining basic, non-exclusive figures that I still have carded are duplicates:

Green Card
C-3PO
Han Solo
Momaw Nadon
Ponda Baba
Princess Leia Jabba's Prisoner (I have the Freeze Frame version open)
R2-D2 (I have the one in the Princess Leia collection open)

Freeze Frame
Admiral Ackbar (I have the green card version open)
Bespin Han Solo (I have the green card version open)
Emperor Palpatine (I have the green card version open)
Han Solo
Princess Leia (new likeness) (I have a second one that is open)

I might go ahead and open C-3PO, one of the Hans, Momaw Nadon and Ponda Baba, since they are different from other versions I have open.

Also, I never did get the POTF2 Greedo, so I don't have that one open either

I have even fewer Episode I figures open:

Boss Nass (I got a second one open that I got free with a fan club order)
Yoda (The one from the Jedi Council scene that I have open is similar)

The following four are ones that I got the international versions with bonus battle droid. I opened those and kept the Commtech ones carded:

Darth Maul (Jedi Duel)
Darth Maul (Tatooine)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Naboo)
Queen Amidala (Coruscant)

POTJ unopened figures:

Aurra Sing (I have the Saga 2003 Ultimate Bounty multipack version open)
Saesee Tiin (I have the Saga 2004 Jedi Warriors multipack version open)

The following I have duplicates open:

Darth Maul (Sith Apprentice) (1st one I got had a damaged card)
Ellors Madak (figured he could double as Bannis Keeg)
Mas Amedda (Opened one had a defective foot or something, so bought a new one years later)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Mos Espa Disguise) (Bought a second one in error, so this was one of my first opened figures)
R4-M9 (TRU got some more in so I figured I could use an extra R4 droid)

So those are all the pre-Saga basic carded figures that remain unopened.

elvandrik
12-06-2009, 08:12 AM
How good did it feel to open all those figures? :D

Neuroleptic
12-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I sold off my unopened figures and started collecting figures open about 2006. I have never ever looked back. The amount of items you can keep on one book shelf and three small shelves in the living room this way is mad crazy over how much room you have to use for boxes to store the packaged figures.

Only figures I keep carded are vintage.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-06-2009, 10:12 AM
How good did it feel to open all those figures? :DI mainly like that they are taking up less space now. I can store more in less space with the storage drawers I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Next will be to decide what to do with some of the duplicates that remain unopened. I have quite a few Saga 2002-2004 figures like that.

The next big opening hurdle will be multipacks. I've not opened any of the POTF2 Cinema Scenes, and only a few of the later Battle Packs. I've not opened any of the Order 66 or Droid Factory sets either. Before I get to those, I'll probably open a lot of the Saga and ROTS deluxe figures.