PDA

View Full Version : The Shawshank Redemption

Tycho
08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I've long held love for this movie. It's really a tale of inspired survival as Andy Dufrane manages to escape hell and double-cross the prison warden, outsmarting him and ripping off enough money from his dirty scheme to retire in Mexico with. Such a good movie! I love the line "I was honest on the outside. I had to come to prison to learn how to be a crook."

So true. And the characters were great, especially Morgan Freeman's "Red" - the guy who can get stuff, William Sadler's character, and Old Brooks, who really captures your emotional sympathy.

The drama unfolds as "Mr. Rock 'n Roll" joins the older guys behind bars, and Capt. Hadley and Warden Norton step up their abuse of the prisoners. Hadley made quite an impression early in the movie when the boys "went fishing." (Please God: I don't belong here!"

You wonder why things such as solitary confinement in "the hole" were even legal? Was there even a toilet in there? Was there any light? A month like that and a guy would go crazy! Maybe the movie over-dramatized it. I couldn't believe that inmates were allowed to be tortured like that - what of "cruel and unusual punishment?"

Darth Jax
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
shawshank is a great flicks. and one of stephen king's better movie adaptations. amazing that with as popular as it is now, it was deemed a failure at the box office.

El Chuxter
08-14-2006, 11:21 PM
This is tied with The Green Mile for Best Prison Flick, Best Stephen King Adaptation, and Best Frank Darabont Film. Truly a masterpiece, and to say more would be redundant.

Kidhuman
08-15-2006, 01:42 AM
This is tied with The Green Mile for Best Prison Flick, Best Stephen King Adaptation, and Best Frank Darabont Film. Truly a masterpiece, and to say more would be redundant.

Ditto this for me.

Tycho
08-15-2006, 02:17 AM
Sylvester Stallone starred in one that's little-mentioned, "Lock Up." But I recall liking this though I haven't seen it for probably 10 years or longer.

JimJamBonds
08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
This is tied with The Green Mile for Best Prison Flick...

I LOVE Shawshank, its one of my all time favorite movies. The Green Mile on the other hand I didn't care for.

UKWildcat
08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Shawshank is an amazing movie and it easily ranks in my Top 5. I know Shawshank and The Godfather switch between first and second over on IMDB's Top 250 Chart (http://www.imdb.com/chart/top). Right now it's #2. :)