PDA

View Full Version : Notices Showing Up for 12" Qui-Gon Jinn

JediTricks
08-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Look out! It's a flood... of 12" Sideshow figures! Qui-Gon is coming in for a landing in the next 20 to 25 days, get those cards ready.

In the past month we've seen notices for Comic-Con Anakin as Vader Sith Apprentice (preordered April 28th), Bespin Han (February 10th), ROTS Obi-Wan (January 6th), Mace Windu (February 20th), and now the 5th Beatle joins the group - Qui-Gon Jinn (March 17th). That's right, Sideshow is now sending out "Estimated Arrival" notices on 12" Qui-Gon Jinn a scant 6 days after Mace and Obi-Wan's notices, Jinn will be arriving in their LA warehouse in the next 20 to 25 days, and at that point they'll start pre-authorizing credit cards getting him ready to ship out. If you need to make any changes to your order (http://sideshow.directtrack.com/z/8733/CD1384/) like address or card number, do so now so it doesn't interfere with your Qui-Gon figure shipping to you.

Tycho
08-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Haha. Some of you guys better come up with $330 or so pretty fast (I used an average of $66 per figure with tax, s&h).

I'm at about $198 myself - but for:

2 x Obi-Wan (SSE, and reg. ed. ordered through an online dealer)
1 x Bespin Han Solo.

What amazes me is that I'd have supposed that Star Wars collectors are a cheap lot. If too much is being asked for all at once (aside from Midnite Madness events), SW collectors won't fork out a lot.

It seems that as interest in much of what Hasbro offers is drying up for the moment (and only for the moment before you guys all start crying for Galactic Marines next year) - people buy other toy lines (POTC, Cars, etc)

There is a growing attraction to premium Star Wars brands: MR, Code-3, Gentle Giant, SSC, etc. - but anything to keep money out of your bank accounts and smarter investments, and more into your collectibles.

It will be interesting to see how many here cancel SideShow orders because it is too much all at once. - And don't forget Jabba the Hutt!

JediTricks
08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
People have been preordering these 12"ers since before Hasbro's TSC line even came out, it's just a higher quality of collectible. As less and less collectors play with their figures, Hasbro's product shows its failings more and more - their premium Vintage-style figures are the best they can do and still fairly lackluster compared to Gentle Giant and Sideshow and such.

Collectors aren't that cheap, look at the midnight madness stuff - I think the question is the "specialness" of these things, as Hasbro's product gets less and less special, people don't want to jump in as much.

Turbowars
08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
The only thing I have a problem is that they are all coming at the same time. We didn't pre-order all of them like that and I think SSC should hold on to them for a while longer and spread them out. They should try to be a bit more consistent about 1 per month. The way they are doing this makes it harder on me and I'm sure on others as well. I don't rack up credit cards like a lot of people do. If I don't have the $ I don't buy it. It wont hurt SSC to hold on to one figure for 2 weeks. You would think that SSC had better control of the operations over Seas, but I guess not. Maybe SSC warehouse isn't big enough to do what I ask.

Jayspawn
08-16-2006, 10:13 PM
After Qui-Gon I'm gonna be selective about which Sideshow 12" figures I'm going to get. I passed on Boussh Leia, Jabba and Bib.

Holding out for Palpatine, Fett, Dooku, and etc.

Turbowars
08-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Did you pass because of the cost, or you just don't like them?

Jayspawn
08-16-2006, 10:29 PM
I really like them. The cost isnt an issue but SPACE is. Unfortunatly, they all come in large boxes which require room that I am really, really running out of.

As far as space goes, I'm at the bursting point.

Turbowars
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I really like them. The cost isnt an issue but SPACE is. Unfortunatly, they all come in large boxes which require room that I am really, really running out of.

As far as space goes, I'm at the bursting point.
Oh I hear you on that. I think anyone that has been collecting from 95 is having the same problem. Things are going to change around here. My collection is going to be thinned out. Hasbro is going Bye Bye. Not all, but a lot. So, you say these items come in big boxes and you don't have room. Are you telling us you don't open your SSC figures? I hope that's not what you are saying. When Jabba comes home, he's going to have a special place just for him out of the box.

Jayspawn
08-16-2006, 10:42 PM
I opened Sideshow's Luke and Anakin. Havnt gotten around to opening Kit yet. Since display space is limited now, those 2 will go back in the box to make room for Obi-Wan, Han, Mace and now Qui-Gon!

The main reason I passed on Sideshow's Jabba (although he does look incredible) is because I already have Illusive Concepts Jabba which is the same size and equally impressive.

Turbowars
08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
The main reason I passed on Sideshow's Jabba (although he does look incredible) is because I already have Illusive Concepts Jabba which is the same size and equally impressive.Equally impressive? I have to dissagree. I believe SSC version blows Illusives away, but that just my opinion. No hard feelings. I was looking to buy one before SSC's came out. Have you thought about buying the throne? Oh wait, isn't Illusives glued to the base?

Tycho
08-17-2006, 12:03 AM
We're all running out of space. I'm only buying items that fill a space in my pre-existing dioramas I'd had planned. This includes SideShow stuff that will have to be mixed with Hasbros. In some cases, that will work out fine, like with Hasbro's General Grievous vs. SideShow's Obi-Wan. In other cases, such as the "Ultimate Duel on Mustafar," I had to buy Anakin from SS because their Obi-Wan would so much dominate over Hasbro's Man-akin, it wouldn't be funny.

I plan on using my 2 Hasbro Anakins vs. Hasbro's Dooku (and their Dooku still dominates) and perhaps with a SideShow Palpatine kneeling over a fried Anakin. Put him together as Vader and it makes the same 14" that I already have 4 of (1998's originally electronic one).

But I really want Palpatine in his red outfit to fight Mace. I'll be using my extra E1 TPM Mace for that one.

Jayspawn
08-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I thought about getting the Thrown but IC's Jabba is permanently attached to a numbered base. Not too mobile but thats ok.

Darth Cruel
08-17-2006, 02:43 PM
I will be getting every one of the Sideshow 12". I just can't bring myself to display my Sideshow figures with the Hasbro pretenders. That would be like making The Rolling Stones perform with...Milli Vanilli.

All of the Hasbro 12" Garbage except the Retro Stormtrooper, the EIII Clone Trooper and Count Dooku will be retiring to my sons toy-box full of beat-to-hell toys where they belong (except for the sealed ones of course, they need to be kept for historical inportance). And when Sideshow Makes the Troopers, I will be getting as many as I can order from wherever I can order them. And then the Hasbro ones will end up with their Hasro brethren/sistren in the dark forgotten abyss of my son's toy-box. And the same will go for Count Dooku.

If i want to use a character in more than one scene, I will get extra of the Sideshow ones or just display one scene at a time. I am glad that Sith Eyes Anakin does not need to be in any major scenes as his eyes were normal during most of his major fighting except for the massacres. So I don't have to open the Sith Eyes one (unless we get some younglings...then it is on).

JediTricks
08-17-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure Sideshow has a large-scale warehouse, I think once the factory has all this stuff assembled they just ship it to the US and distribute it directly to customers - Hasbro usually does this as well though (for a while they were warehousing excess stock but it got so expensive to run 4 huge warehouses of product that was never going to sell that they sold everything pennies on the dollar to TRU and KB and got rid of 3 warehouses).

I'm totally out of space, and always out of money, but that won't stop me from ordering stuff I really like the look of and want - Leia Boushh was one I woke up early for, but I didn't bother with Bib at all even though he looks acceptable.

JediTricks
09-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Well, yesterday was the first possible day that Qui-Gon would start pre-authing, according to the Sideshow email. I still haven't gotten my shipment notice on Obi-Wan though, this is getting ridiculous, and while I'm not as jazzed about Qui-Gon as I am Obi-Wan, QGJ has that damn exclusive poncho which is something I can't just get another time down the road.

Turbowars
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Obi will start to ship at the end of the week or the beginning of next week. It all depends on when you got your order it with them. SSC has not sent out Qui Gon 15-20 day ware house notice yet which is followed by the 3-5 day processing notice. So that will be towards the middle or end of the month.

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 05:59 PM
What do you mean? Obi-Wan 3-to-5 notices have been out for over a week, since Aug 28th:

Dear Valued Collector,

Thank you for your pre-order of our 12” Obi-Wan Kenobi – Sideshow Exclusive (item #21171) from our Star Wars 12-inch Figures Collection. We appreciate your patience in awaiting the arrival of this Limited Edition, Sold Out collectible.

At this time, we would like to inform you that this item is estimated to arrive into our warehouse within the next 3-5 days. We will BEGIN “pre-authorizing” credit cards for this purchase within the next 24 hours, in the sequence in which all of the pre-orders for this item were placed. A “pre-auth” is not a direct charge, but is a “hold” of funds pending the shipment of your order. Your credit card will be charged once the item is shipped from our warehouse.[/font]
and Qui-Gon 20-25 day notices have been in boxes since Aug 15th:

Dear Valued Collector,

Thank you for your pre-order of our 12” Qui-Gon Jinn – Sideshow Exclusive (item #21051) from our Star Wars 12-inch Figures Collection. We appreciate your patience in waiting for the arrival of this Limited Edition, Sold Out item, and would like to inform you that this item will be arriving in our Los Angeles warehouse within approximately the next 20-25 days.

Sideshow Collectibles will be authorizing your credit card on file with us for this item upon its arrival. Please expect to receive another e-mail in approximately 10-15 days, which will notify you about the processing of your order. If you need to update your credit card, billing and/or shipping address information, or cancel an item/order, PLEASE DO SO AS SOON AS POSSIBLE VIA YOUR ONLINE USER ACCOUNT.Now, I'm no math expert, but 10-15 days after Aug 15th would be Aug 25th to 30th, of which we're a week past without word from SSC on the matter. Granted, I am not sorry we're able to catch our breath with all the rapid-fire shipping going on, but I don't want to HOLD my breath waiting while not knowing what exactly is going on either.

Turbowars
09-07-2006, 08:42 PM
What do you mean? Obi-Wan 3-to-5 notices have been out for over a week, since Aug 28th:I didn't say Obi Wan, I said Qui-Gon and I never got a 20-25 day Notice for Gon.

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I didn't say Obi Wan, I said Qui-Gon You did refer to Obi-Wan: "Obi will start to ship at the end of the week or the beginning of next week. It all depends on when you got your order it with them."

and I never got a 20-25 day Notice for Gon.Uh oh, check around Aug 15th to make sure, then if you don't find it, check your account to ensure the order is still there, the email hit on Aug 15th and you should have gotten one, don't want more SSC order problems, you've already had more than your fill.

Turbowars
09-07-2006, 10:30 PM
My orders are fine, I still haven't been charged for Obi yet, let alone Qui-Gon.

Reefer Shark
09-08-2006, 01:19 AM
I haven't gotten any notices at all for Qui-Gon, and that's the only exclusive I really want. Time to check status on my pre-order...

JediTricks
09-08-2006, 02:36 PM
What's up with that? I got that pre-ship notice back on the 15th of Aug, it's why I wrote the article which started this thread. Did anybody else get their notices at all?

Reefer Shark
09-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Still no notice for my exclusive... but the regular Qui-Gon showed up at my comic shop.

It was a very expensive day for me at the comic shop. I went in to pick up Han and Mace, and sitting there with those two was Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. 4 sideshow figures in one shipment??? That's just insane.. My comic shop guy felt bad and offerred to hold two of them for me for a few weeks, but I decided to bite the bullet and just get 'em.

It looks like I have a lot of new toys to play with this weekend!

Turbowars
09-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Still no notice for my exclusive... but the regular Qui-Gon showed up at my comic shop.

It was a very expensive day for me at the comic shop. I went in to pick up Han and Mace, and sitting there with those two was Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. 4 sideshow figures in one shipment??? That's just insane.. My comic shop guy felt bad and offerred to hold two of them for me for a few weeks, but I decided to bite the bullet and just get 'em.

It looks like I have a lot of new toys to play with this weekend!
John, are you talking about Cat's place? Man did he screwww Snags and Me. he lost me as a customer. I'm sure you heard. What did he say about me? He told Chip that we got into an argument, but that's not true. it was a conversation that he started to get weird on me.

Anyways my card was charged for Obi today, so we will see when Obi gets here.

Reefer Shark
09-08-2006, 08:45 PM
John, are you talking about Cat's place? Mn did he screwww Snags and Me. he lost me as a customer.

Anyways my card was charged for Obi today, so we will see when Obi gets here.

Yeah, That's the place. That sucks about the clone busts, he was telling me about the whole mess, and that he wouldn't sell them individually (only by the case). I would probably be pretty PO'd too if I still collected the busts. It sucks, but I would also blame GG for such a crappy decision on distribution.

btw: Did you get an Utapau clone elsewhere already, and did you get my voice-message :lipsrsealed:?? I'll send you a PM!

Reefer Shark
09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm sure you heard. What did he say about me? He told Chip that we got into an argument, but that's not true. it was a conversation that he started to get weird on me.

Naw, he didn't talk any smack. He told me that he didn't want to get stuck with the extra whites, and could only offer them by the case. He said you were a bit irritated, and you guys were both frustrated at the situation.

Turbowars
09-08-2006, 08:56 PM

Reefer Shark
09-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Private Message sent!

JediTricks
09-09-2006, 03:29 PM
That's wild Reef! Had it right in the store, that seems so wrong. :p How much did they charge ya for each? I await your initial thoughts on both.

Sound's like a crappy situation, I think the guy should have honored his commitment to Turbo & Snaggy but I only have heard what's been said here.

Turbowars
09-09-2006, 03:51 PM
That's wild Reef! Had it right in the store, that seems so wrong. :p How much did they charge ya for each? I await your initial thoughts on both.

Sound's like a crappy situation, I think the guy should have honored his commitment to Turbo & Snaggy but I only have heard what's been said here.
What's that supposed to mean, you don't believe me? I tell you JT you always think I'm lying.:rolleyes: Do you need DNA samples?;)

JediTricks
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
No, what I'm saying is that if the guy came here and accused me of libel, I would have covered my *** by saying I am only judging based on the information I had at the time. :p

Basically, I haven't fully heard both sides of the argument.

Reefer Shark
09-09-2006, 05:59 PM

He charges me 20% off retail. I also save on shipping, but still have to pay tax.

Qui-Gon looks fantastic, but I haven't opened him yet, so that opinion could change. I opened Obi-Wan last night, and I'm very impressed, he looks a lot better than I thought he would. His hair is a bit darker than the proto pics, but I think it looks just fine. The body seems a bit more tight this time around too, hopefully that's a new trend.

Tycho
09-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Dang! I can't wait to get my Obi-Wans (I ordered 2 and plan to open both - the SSE and RegEd).

I need to go to my storage and find my Hasbro Grievous to fight my SSE, and Anakin's been ready for a while now to take on the RegEd. (In fact, I bought SS's Anakin because there's no way I could pose Hasbro's "Manakin" with the SS Obi-Wan and have it look right for the Mustafar Duel.)

Anyway, I've barely ordered from SS (Anakin, Kit Fisto, Han Solo, 2 Obi-Wans) and that's all I've wanted so far (plus Jabba - whenever the full monty is ready to ship).

So here's to hoping Kenobi comes to my door shortly!

Reefer Shark
09-10-2006, 04:07 PM
A couple close ups of Qui-Gon so you can check out his headsculpt/paint:

JediTricks
09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Hmm, from the pics it's kinda working for me except for the separate hair (looks like a wig since it's a separate piece and sweeps only back) and the eyes, the shape isn't right from the front (it looks ok from the side though), oh and they did the lipstick thing again but he has facial hair around it which mitigates it some. This is significantly different from the prototype's head too, not in a bad way.

Darth Cruel
09-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Tracking page says I'll get mine tomorrow. Too cool!

JediTricks
09-13-2006, 07:26 PM
What the? You already got charged for yours? I barely got my pre-auth email today and that has a 3-5 day lead.

Darth Cruel
09-13-2006, 11:00 PM
What the? You already got charged for yours? I barely got my pre-auth email today and that has a 3-5 day lead.

We need a :thumbsnose: icon!

Darth Cruel
09-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I was mistaken about the figure being Qui-Gon Jinn in my last two posts...it was Obi-Wan. But my exclusive Qui-Gon did arrive today at my house. And tracking email says the regular ones will be showing up tomorrow.

Blue2th
09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Got my pre-authorize notice yesterday. Let's see if he comes to my house undamaged, or I'll be contacting customer service again. :hurt:

BlueSnags
09-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Qui-Gon is now listed as "Item Shipping Soon" in my Sideshow account. Sweet!

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
I was mistaken about the figure being Qui-Gon Jinn in my last two posts...it was Obi-Wan. But my exclusive Qui-Gon did arrive today at my house. And tracking email says the regular ones will be showing up tomorrow.
Ah, ok, good to know, thanks for clearing that up. Mine arrived yesterday, I am picking it up today.

Darth Cruel
09-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Got my regular versions today. I have a question. Why is the grappling hook not mentioned anywhere in any list of accessories? It is there. It is pictured on Sideshow's website...but it is not listed on Qui-Gon's order pages nor on the actual box. Everything else is listed. What is up with that?

Tycho
09-23-2006, 02:01 AM
Grappling hooks are an almost invisible accessory. They come inside of the packaging. Inside Qui-Gon's box. They are symbiants with the action figure: toy parts interacting with other toy parts for mutual advantage. Without a grappling hook, your action figure would have knowledge of one less accessory. They continuously speak to us, telling us the intentions of SideShow. When you quiet your mind, you will find a purpose for Qui-Gon's grappling hook, too. If you don't quite understand, with time and training you will.

BlueSnags
09-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Got the shipping notice last night - Qui Gon will be here on Monday.:thumbsup:

Reefer Shark
09-23-2006, 03:45 PM
I really dig this figure. He's right up there with Obi-Wan and Kit Fisto IMO! Here's a couple more pics:

Qui-Gon vs Maul (http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/psycho_shark/one%20sixth/Qui-GonvsMaul.jpg) (god I can't wait to retire that Maul and replace it w/SSC's)

Qui-Gon SSC exclusive/regular comparison (http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/psycho_shark/one%20sixth/Qui-Goncomparison.jpg)

Tycho
09-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Great pictures Reefer Shark! I actually dig your display of your clones, troops, and premium figures in the background there.

By the way, I don't see anything inferior about Hasbro's Maul from your pictures. The Tatooine fight looks great! Nice job.

Turbowars
09-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Just wait until you see Maul face, then you might see the problem.

JediTricks
09-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Look at Maul's pose, it's all labored because the figure can't bring his arms in front of his body that well.

Nice pics Reef! :cool:

I got mine yesterday, I am not so adept at posing that darn poncho though, and it is WAY too small (compare it to a Hasbro 4" figure's poncho and it's like half that - scale considered, of course). The likeness is weird, from the sides and almost any angle it works pretty well but from straight on I'm not seeing it, that's sorta what I expected though. The hair looks too much like a wig - the Anakin figure with separate hair piece worked better because the seams were behind the front of the hair - but the facial hair paint works much better than Obi-Wan because they took a little more care with the application I guess (not that it's perfect either, but noticably better).

They got his lightsaber hilt wrong, the "coins" for the grip are supposed to be angled downward but they're cut straight out, it's good enough but I would have liked to have seen this perfect.

I like that they included the grappling launcher (the EU says the line within is a compressed liquid until it's fired) and that the holoprojector has "legs" unlike the figures with them from AOTC and ROTS where it has none (design change between the movies I guess). I'm not really sure why they included a pistol-holding hand when QGJ doesn't use a pistol in the movie though, maybe for the comm link.

The belt pouch on the far left was broken in the packaging on mine, that's a bummer, and the lightsaber isn't straight though he's not the only one with that issue. Other than that it's pretty much all good.

Blue2th
09-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I really dig this figure. He's right up there with Obi-Wan and Kit Fisto IMO! Here's a couple more pics:

Qui-Gon vs Maul (http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/psycho_shark/one%20sixth/Qui-GonvsMaul.jpg) (god I can't wait to retire that Maul and replace it w/SSC's)

Qui-Gon SSC exclusive/regular comparison (http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/psycho_shark/one%20sixth/Qui-Goncomparison.jpg)
Those are nice pics RS! Where did you get that display for the other smaller figures? It looks like it was made specifically for figures.

Darth Cruel
09-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Grappling hooks are an almost invisible accessory. They come inside of the packaging. Inside Qui-Gon's box. They are symbiants with the action figure: toy parts interacting with other toy parts for mutual advantage. Without a grappling hook, your action figure would have knowledge of one less accessory. They continuously speak to us, telling us the intentions of SideShow. When you quiet your mind, you will find a purpose for Qui-Gon's grappling hook, too. If you don't quite understand, with time and training you will.

Why your name rhymes with psycho has become crystal clear.

Reefer Shark
09-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the pics guys!

Tycho - Hasbro Maul suffers from the same old problems Hasbro had with almost all of their 12"ers: oven-mitt gloves and boots, old "hall of fame" GI-Joe body (distorted proportions, and weak articulation), and weak headsculpt. This is the one from the speeder bike set, so it's a little better than the initial release, but still very weak compared to SSC's maul (wich still isn't perfect). His outfit is pretty will done though :thumbsup:

Blue2th - those figure cases are made by Protech. It's the "deluxe acrylic display case, model # AFSBM. I buy 'em from a scalper joint called Frank-n-Sons. They cost around $30 (with the stands). I really like 'em, they help keep everything tidy and organized (which is something I need serious help with ;) ).

JT - that really sucks man. Sorry to hear about the damage on your figure. You gonna have SSC replace it?

Blue2th
09-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks Reefer Shark. I did a google search, found their website http://www.protechproductsinc.com/starwars.htm :thumbsup:

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I'm going to call them today or tomorrow when I get some free time, I don't want to send the WHOLE figure back over this 1 little thing though.

Darth Cruel
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I had to call about the blaster on my Han Solo (Regular). They are a week behind in answering quality issues. But they say it will not count against the 30 days for a return. Sounds to me like Sideshow has some serious quality issues.

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 04:07 PM
It's showing in the finished products, their quality is slipping and it's a real shame.

Tycho
09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
It's the outsourcing - not that it would be any easier to hire all of us and get products identically as good as their prototypes every time either. I know I'd get sick of a figure if I had to paint it, or dress it, something like 50 times a day. My work at the start of each day, and perhaps at the end of each day, would be my best. I know how I'd feel waiting for lunchtime to arrive or Friday night to happen.

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 05:11 PM
They're using toy factories in China the same as they've been doing since before they got the line, it has nothing to do with outsourcing because it's ALWAYS been outsourced. :p Either they changed to another factory that claimed they could produce a higher yield, have started rushing the factory they normally use beyond the yield they can produce at that quality, they're getting sloppy (a vague generality), or they're being actively sabotaged.

El Chuxter
09-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Mine arrived a day or so ago. He's not bad, but, especially based on the prototype pictures, I wanted something that looked $30 nicer than what Hasbro already made. I've not opened him, but just from looking through the window, he looks like he could be a Hasbro figure. I'm not sure I'll be dropping $50-$60 on very many more of these guys.

Darth Cruel
09-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Despite the quality issues (and just judging by the complaints I read on the web...I have a huge number compared to anybody else) I am still head-over-heels in love with this line. They are still the best 12" Star Wars figures ever done even with the imperfections and quality issues.

Here is my advice:

If we want to see quality improve...get a replacement figure for quality issues. Even small ones. That will hit Sideshow where it hurts the most...the wallet. We are paying around 65.00 per figure on average. And that is as expensive to me as it is to anyone else despite the fact that I have taken action to prepare myself for the cost. I still want 65.00 worth of figure. Now I have a Luke Skywalker with upper elbow joints that don't bend, a Han Solo with a missing half of a blaster pistol-grip, a Kit Fisto with joints so loose that the weight of his head pulls him over and he cannot be displayed without the stand, a Comic-con Anakin with joints so loose that he will not hold a lightsaber up, a Qui-Gon with an angled ignited lightsaber and curved un-ignited lightsaber hilt, and a Art S. Buck mannequin with feet so big you can not make a custom figure with it like you are supposed to be able to because you cannot put foot gear on him. And the only one I will be able to replace is the Han (and Qui-Gon if I decide to) because the other issues did not come to light until after 30 days. But I am very much considering sending back My Qui-Gon for the slightly angled ignited lightsaber and curved un-ignited lightsaber hilt that came with it.

But here is something that I firmly believe. At 65.00 per...I am not of the mind that these are intended to be anything less than a poseable statue. I mean that I do not feel that they were meant to be played with very much. So that has to be taken into account when we regard the fragility of these figures. So unless it is damaged in-transit...I do accept the responsibility for anything that I damage myself.

JediTricks
09-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Mine arrived a day or so ago. He's not bad, but, especially based on the prototype pictures, I wanted something that looked $30 nicer than what Hasbro already made. I've not opened him, but just from looking through the window, he looks like he could be a Hasbro figure. I'm not sure I'll be dropping $50-$60 on very many more of these guys.You're not doing yourself any favors juding him through the window alone, the window and tray's "collar" obscure a lot of what's really working, and like I said before the figure looks better when not viewed straight-on.

If we want to see quality improve...get a replacement figure for quality issues. Even small ones. That will hit Sideshow where it hurts the most...the wallet. We are paying around 65.00 per figure on average. And that is as expensive to me as it is to anyone else despite the fact that I have taken action to prepare myself for the cost. I still want 65.00 worth of figure.Don't they just sell the non-broken returns to wait-list members anyway though? I agree Sideshow needs to be told what's what about their quality slipping of late, but I just don't know if this tactic will send that message. The quality of the paint and final sculpt do need to be fixed though, this is quickly slipping into uncool territory.

With your individual QC problems, you absolutely need to get replacements for your stuff - I dunno if they'll even want the whole figure back, but you should try to get what's wrong fixed.

These aren't GI Joe figures, they're not meant to be flung about, but they are meant to be sturdy enough to be posed over and over and over and over and over, that's why they're 12" figures and not delicate flowers.

Tycho
09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
that's why they're 12" figures and not delicate flowers.

Ooops. Maybe I should stop watering Anakin and giving him plant food...

Anyway, my 2nd Obi-Wan (this time the reg. edition) came today. He looks better in paint job and everything than my SSE (only difference was supposed to be General Grievous' blaster gun.)

His outer white tunic is fringey just like my last one, and I'll have to go to work on him in a little while so he doesn't look like a hobo bum. What worries me is that if the material is so fragile, will it decay over time - you know like how many of us lost the spongey trash compactor garbage to the Kenner Death Star playset from back in the day? Or else, if a lawn moth flies into your home, by accident, will that material make the easiest lunch? I worry how these figures will stand up to the test of time. At around $65 a figure, 10 figures or so per year (I'm guessing), that's $650 a year - and those who are collecting these here might spend nearly $3,000 before these things start to decompose - and it will be far too late to get our money back.

There's no precedent for product longetivity that I know of, is there?

Darth Cruel
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
These aren't GI Joe figures, they're not meant to be flung about, but they are meant to be sturdy enough to be posed over and over and over and over and over, that's why they're 12" figures and not delicate flowers.

I agree completely there. We should be able to change the pose as often as we like without fear that the figure will disintegrate ("No disintegrations!"). And you did clarify my point. I don't feel like they are made to be too carelessly handled as a child might either.

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 06:40 PM
How does your Obi-Wan look better Tycho?

I doubt the material will break down faster than any other material, maybe you should email them and ask.

DC, yeah, there has to be a middle ground between figures you can jump up and down on vs figures you can't even look at in direct light for fear of them crumbling. :p

Tycho
09-29-2006, 09:10 PM
How does your Obi-Wan look better Tycho?

I can't exactly quantify it, but it is that his paint job is better. I also wonder if he came with different extra hands. If I recall, my SSE (box is in a locked storage here at my place - i just haven't felt like checking it) - it has the fingers sort of pointing in Obi-Wan's infamous pose right before he used the Force to collapse that block on the Manga Droids before he fought Grievous.

nash
09-30-2006, 05:18 AM
QuiGon is damn cool. (http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/chadm13/Collectibles/quigonjin.gif)

JediTricks
09-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, if you get a chance to explain or photograph the difference Tycho, remember to post it here.

I am pretty sure you're mistaken about the hands, they have the same sets of hands - gun right hand, Force left hand, saber wielding both.

Jayspawn
10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
My Qui-Gon has shipped!