PDA

View Full Version : U-571

Tycho
08-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Talk about a great submarine movie! I tend to love sub movies. Being under water pressure like that really scares me. Sub crews are really courageous. This movie has a lot of action.

There is a daring effort by an American Sub crew to capture a damaged German submarine during World War II - Military Intelligence wants the Germans' enigma coding device (It looks like a typewriter - as some of the crew comment).

So the old American sub (these were built during World War One) is disguised as a Nazi sub - and it is sent to rendezvous with the stranded Germans. Once there, a gun battle ensues to take over the enemy ship. But the real German relief sub shows up, and the American crew has to fight for their lives.

Then they are hunted by a German destroyer and an enemy scout plane, all while trying to stay alive in the dangerous Atlantic ocean.

I don't know if we should discuss spoilers. It's an older movie, but not too old (1990's or close to 2000 I think). But if folks here haven't seen it - this is a MUST VIEW!

Matthew McCounoughy (spelling) stars as the First Officer who's trying to make Captain but is still too close to his men when he must make very tough life-and-death decisions, and some will have to die or else everyone will die!

Geeze this is a great flick! A lot of action!

JON9000
08-15-2006, 04:06 PM
you should just resurrect VT's "flicks we partook in over the hump" thread. I'm sure he would be pleased to see it take on a life of its own!

Tycho
08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
you should just resurrect VT's "flicks we partook in over the hump" thread. I'm sure he would be pleased to see it take on a life of its own!

I'm going to look into it, as it has come up when I search the forums for movie titles. U-571 definitely deserves its own thread though.

Meanwhile, I'll have to read VT's "over the hump" thread to find out what the heck that means: "over the hump." I first thought of "humping" - the verb which only reminds a person like me of which films I had on while I concentrated on something else with a girl for company - and even a few things I got away with in a public movie theater, hehe.

BTW: for those who rip on the love story in "Pearl Harbor," that ones always worked for "background ambiance" if you know what I mean. ;)

Anyway, may VT rest-in-peace, but I often had difficulty understanding his writing style. He was unique. That's for sure.

JimJamBonds
08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I saw U-571 in the theater way back in 99? It wasn't bad, wasn' all that great either. I thought it was a bit predictable with Mathew McWannabe having to "let go" of his skipper and go on. Also I could have done with out Jon Bongivioni.

Tycho
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Either it's Jon Bon Jovi's New Jersey accent, or just his lack of acting ability, but he's a friend of somebody's to even have been cast in this film. His whispering the radar reports to "Tyler" were all but similar to Michael Jackson whispering to little boys. I liked who his character was supposed to represent (Emmit - Andy Tyler's friend) but he didn't do too good with the part. It's forgiveable next to the full scope of the movie.

I think this one's more exciting than Red October and it gives Crimson Tide a run for its money. The soundtrack is good too (for actually all 3 sub movies, but U-571 is pretty well done in and of itself.) Meanwhile, K-19 Widowmaker might have had powerhouse big name actors (Ford, Neeson), but I'm prejudiced to prefer a film about Americans moreso than Russians - which is also why I cared more for U-571 than Connery playing a Russian in "Red October." (Baldwin can't carry a movie by himself - though he can be good). I think Crimson Tide is the best challenger for a modern-made sub movie as Hackman and Washington are awesome in that flick. A mutiny is a whole different subject matter than a war story though. I still think I like U-571 the best. It's a darn good picture!

jeddah
08-16-2006, 09:05 AM
...I understand some films that are drawn on true stories take a little artistic license but U571 takes the ****. If Enigma hadn't had such gravity attached to it in the real story, then perhaps I could forgive the awful revisionism in the film's main thrust. But it did.

So I can't

It makes me worried that His Dark Materials is going to be played by actors with an American accent (when Lee Scoresby is written as the only American) and will not be set primarily in Oxford.

Actually, does anyone know more about HDM?

jeddah

Jayspawn
08-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Its a great war/sum movie. I bought the DVD right when it came out. I thought that Harvey Keitel was great also (as he usually is).

"FIRE NOW OR WE DIE!!!!!"

Great line!

jonthejedi
08-17-2006, 04:03 AM
Harvey was great! "Mary, Mother of God"...that depth charge scene still gives me the claustro heebie jeebies. For my $$$, Das Boat is the greatest sub epic of all time.