PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with "some" LEGO communities?

Sweden
08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm probably going to step on certain peoples toes but what the heck...

I'm 38 years young and I've been into collecting model railroads, model kits and toys for as long as I can remember. Since 1998 I've been on the Internet and I've joined different communities for my hobbies. I've done that was none of my friends share my interests, not that they don't approve of them but are actually somewhat facinated by them at least, except my interest in watching and collecting movies and television series on DVD. But for the past four (4) years I've questioned "some" of the "LEGO" communities.

There's owners of LEGO websites and forums that rules these with a iron fist, moderators that just want to show their power and put people down, wanna be moderators kissing behinds and trying to put people down, there's a whole rudeness and flaming from both younger and older LEGO fans. A whole lot of this reminds me of "The Third Reich" and the one that shall not be mentioned as well as his ideals. This is something that's always present on websites like From Bricks to Bothans and Eurobricks that seems to be run by elitist jerks that says get with the program and you'll fine or otherwise. Over the years I've suffered from this by being banned from the first and being chased away from the second as some other people also has been. And I don't think it's funny at all and it kind of destroys the hobby.

Sure, most of you guys are probably going to say that if it doesn't please you then bloody heck don't go there. Well fine. Sure. But is that a excuse for what has happened to "some" of these LEGO communities? I'll say no without even hesitating. If these websites and forums are made for and being aimed at the fans of LEGO and are public then why the heck do you have to apply for membership and/or obey "The Third Reich" rules like obey the brick? I've always wondered why it has become like that and it's no wonder at all that people actually laughs and shakes their heads at "some" LEGO fans.

I truly like the Star Wars, Harry Potter and Batman lines that LEGO has created and at least I like from time to time to talk to other like minded people about my/our hobby and that's why I've joined some LEGO communities such as this one. It's been a while since I was here and made a post or two but the experience from the past four (4) years has made me loose interest in it. I like to think that I've got something to say and/or to talk about or even to contribute, especially from being a model kit collector and builder, and that's why I've come to some LEGO communities.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Is the only option if you don't get with the program then get the heck out of here? If someone jumps at you unfairly then why the heck can you defend yourself and why are you threathened with banning? Why can't we all just get along and have a great time?

I think at least that you guys and girls know what I mean.

Sweden - The One... And Only.

2-1B
08-15-2006, 10:35 PM
yep, that about sums up the internet for the most part. lol

Jargo
02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Oh I'm no big LEGO head. I love LEGO and I've collected it from the age of four. off and on.
I understand what you're saying Sweden. the atitudes of a lot of LEGO 'fans' is elitist and clique forming. With certain people laiming to know everything there is to know and others fawning at the feet of the know-it-alls. A certain mob mentality emerges whenever anyone new arrives and expresses an opinion that doesn't fit with the 'love it' or 'hate it' trend of the moment.

This is the same mentality that lives in most collector communities though. whether it be LEGO or Star Wars or superheroes. or anything at all. it is more to do with human nature than the specifics of collecting though. the internet allows sad little nobodies to hold percieved power over others. To lord it up and play the big man when in reality they're just a grey little person with no real world friends and should get out more and get a life.

Don't despair though. when you bump into a decent bunch of folks on the net who don't share the immature attitude problem the other communities do, it can be a truly wonderful spirit lifting liberating experience.