PDA

View Full Version : World War THREE movies

2-1B
08-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Soviet paratroopers landing on a high school football field is everyone's biggst fear, so Red Dawn is easily the best of this genre. I will forever join my fellow patriots in shouting "WOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINES!!!!!" and let us not forget that one guy wearing a crusty Star Wars hat.

Invasion USA was pretty good, too. Not Chuck Norris' best movie but that's not a slight against IUSA since Charles makes some good ones. :)

Tycho
08-17-2006, 12:27 PM
That is one version of World War III that may wind up being historically inacurate.

From what I've heard, Executive Producers George Bush, Tony Blair, Kim Jong II, and the Iranian President's name (I can't spell at the moment) are still in pre-production of WWIII. There's no release date set as of yet.

However, Israel and Hezbollah might be turning down the roles they were offered. Time will tell I guess.

darthvyn
08-17-2006, 12:57 PM
However, Israel and Hezbollah might be turning down the roles they were offered. Time will tell I guess.

they're just a rival studio making their own version of the same old plot... much like "armaggedon" and "deep impact".

i assume i'll be seeing this thread in the 'pit soon... or not, since i don't go there...

2-1B
08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
no ****, WTF are you doing Tycho? :rolleyes: This is a MOVIES thread, not a Current Events That Have Nothing To Do With 1980s Cold War Scare Movies thread. :stupid:

Rogue II
08-17-2006, 02:07 PM
no ****, WTF are you doing Tycho? :rolleyes: This is a MOVIES thread, not a Current Events That Have Nothing To Do With 1980s Cold War Scare Movies thread. :stupid:

Because Tycho lacks the ability to stay on topic most of the time, especially when there is a chance for him to bring politics into it.

My high school was the Wolverines. There was a Marine base not far from there, and they often did artillery exercises. One day, during a test it was very quiet in class. Shortly after the test started, we could hear the "KABOOMs!" from the base. After the 3rd or 4th boom, someone in the back of the class yelled "WOLVERINES!!!" Even the teacher got a laugh out of that one.

I can't think of too many WWIII movies, other than a made for TV movie called Amerika about a Soviet controlled US. SNL made a parody called Amerida, in which Canadians took over the US.

There are plenty of post-WWIII movies, like Mad Max.

Tycho
08-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Because Tycho lacks the ability to stay on topic most of the time, especially when there is a chance for him to bring politics into it.

True enough. Politics is exciting since there's a chance at a real fight, not just a make-believe one. But sorry if my comment endangered the thread of being sidetracked. I'll stay out of "Rancor Pit" comments here if I can help it. Rogue II is quite right though - I froth at the mouth waiting for another chance to pick a fight and make them.

My high school was the Wolverines. There was a Marine base not far from there, and they often did artillery exercises.

That sounds cool actually.

I can't think of too many WWIII movies, other than a made for TV movie called Amerika about a Soviet controlled US.

I wanted to see that, but never did.

SNL made a parody called Amerida, in which Canadians took over the US.

That would have been funny.

There are plenty of post-WWIII movies, like Mad Max.

Well, the first Mad Max takes place before WWIII I think, the Road Warrior and Thunderdome, afterward. Those are great films though.

"Two men enter; One man leaves!
Two men enter; One man leaves!
Two men enter; One man leaves!"

Ji'dai
08-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I watched the TV mini-series Amerika when it aired. Another made-for-TV program was The Day After, which followed a group of US civilians in the wake of a nuclear war.

Along with Red Dawn, another decent Powers Boothe WWIII (TV) movie was By Dawn's Early Light. Boothe plays a bomber captain sent to deploy nukes against the Soviets.

On the Beach follows a group of American submariners weathering a nuclear holocaust in Australia, where the radiation clouds have yet to reach. They decide to investigate the source of a lone radio signal emitting from the continental US...

Dr. Strangelove... 'nuff said.

The Postman is pretty good post-apocalyptic fare too, with Kevin Costner reluctantly leading a revolt against the remnants of a regional army that installed itself in power after some calamity caused society to collapse.

The Terminator & The Matrix franchises are damn good too.

JimJamBonds
08-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Soviet paratroopers landing on a high school football field is everyone's biggst fear, so Red Dawn is easily the best of this genre. I will forever join my fellow patriots in shouting "WOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINES!!!!!" and let us not forget that one guy wearing a crusty Star Wars hat.

Invasion USA was pretty good, too. Not Chuck Norris' best movie but that's not a slight against IUSA since Charles makes some good ones. :)

Do you have a copy of Red Dawn? If so may I borrow it? :D

2-1B
08-18-2006, 12:10 AM
You better believe I do ! :grin:

JimJamBonds
08-18-2006, 12:12 AM
You better believe I do ! :grin:

Sweet! That will be me knocking on the door in about 10 min.

jonthejedi
08-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Further back, there actually was a mini-series called World War III starring David Soul(of Starsky & Hutch fame). It concerned an invasion by Soviet troops across the Alaskan pipeline. I remember it had kind of an Alamo-like finish...I don't think it's ever been released on tape or DVD.

Darth Jax
08-19-2006, 12:39 PM
gotta consider team america: world police for this thread.

2-1B
08-19-2006, 04:11 PM
"America, F*** Yeah."