PDA

View Full Version : EU Fans Only! - Legacy of the Force and Onward!

Sebulba_Fett
08-17-2006, 03:32 PM
All right. That's it! I'm calling out all EU lovers out there. I'm starting a thread to see how many of us there are. More specifically this thread will be open for discussion of the Legacy of the Force series, including plot points, speculations, and theories I was kind of dissappointed to find that the only threads available contained tons of posts by people who seem like they can't stand the EU. That's ok. But come on. Some people out there have to like it as much as I do. I just finished Betrayal and I thought it was damn good. Not the best mind you, but definately up there. I've been reading the EU books since Zahn's first Trilogy came out and have loyally followed it the whole way. The EU is it for Star Wars for the forseeable future. I'll be a Star Wars fan for life and I will follow it in any format that it moves too. Sure there have been some turd books out there, but one could argue that there have been some turd movies out there too (LOL). But there have been some gems out there too. Most notably the Zahn books, but he hasn't been the only one. Oh no. Stackpole's X-Wing books and I, Jedi were phenomonal. Allston started off with his excellent Wraith Squadron books and again showed what he can do again with Betrayal. Also, Troy Denning's Star by Star - very good. Kevin J. Anderson's Young Jedi Knights. All of these are but just a few of many.

Now some of the biggest complaints I here are that the EU is not written by Lucas, thus are essentially a huge "What If?" Please! Lucas still retains creative control over the entire Star Wars universe. Sure these books are written by dozens of authors offering there own unique perspectives, but Lucas still has the final say so on any major plot points, character changes, and/or storylines (i.e. the Solo twins, death of Chewie, Mara & Luke). Essentially, the story is still developing along the lines of what it would if he were entirely behind the wheel. I even seem to recall certain story ideas that he developed and then passed along saying run with it (i.e. Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord). Regardless, in the end it is still Star Wars. They are still ongoing stories about the character I grew up with.

Another one is that the EU disregards some/all ideas from the movies. Although, I have seen some good points in this arguement I believe that the movies do not leave anything carved in stone. For example, I have seen some take offense that Legacy of the Force and the comic Star Wars: Legacy reintroduce Sith stating that this ignores the fact that Vader and/or Luke brought balance to the force. To counter argue, I say where do the movies state that a force balanced galaxy is one that has no Sith. By definition of balance, one would think that in fact a balance would have equal Jedi and Sith. Maybe, just maybe the Sith's rule of two is what threw the galaxy out of balance in the first place. Two Sith to counter the galaxy's thousands of Jedi is extremely lopsided to me. Or, maybe the prophesy has been misinterpreted. Yoda even admits in EIII that maybe they were wrong about the prophecy of the one who would bring balance to the force. Now I'll go off on my own creative tangent and propose that maybe the prophecy is never ending in that I describes the entire Skywalker family. One generation to be Sith (Vader) and swing the galaxy to the dark, the next to be Jedi (Luke) and swing it back to the light and so on and so on (Anyone who's read Betrayal and DH's SW Legacy will see where I'm going with this). I wouldn't see that as a retcon, more of a reevaluation of what the prophecy means.

Well, regardless, I know the books aren't going to please every fan. But I would like to hear more from the people that like what they're reading. So, on with the Legacy of the Force speculation.

InsaneJediGirl
08-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I havent read Betryal or anything yet,still havent had the chance to pick them up.

I will say I'm glad the EU isnt written by Lucas. I love the writings of a number of Star Wars EU authors like Zahn and Salvatore.I wont go into how I would have loved to see the prequel written by Zahn,thats for another day :)

EU does clash way too much,but I feel this is more of a LFL problem in not keeping everything straight.

pbarnard
08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
I have a problem with your Skywalker prophecy...

First, Luke and Leia were twins. Than Jacen and Jaina, Anakin wasn't a twin. Twins however played a unique role in the New Jedi Order, and played into the billing as the ones who'll turn a society and on whom all events will be determined. It has one meaning if you're a single lone child, it takes on a different meaning and potential when you have twins of twins etc.

And remember, the first bits of the EU written were out before Lucas had decided to redo the OT and consquently the PT. They were given a blessing to write or hint at a backstory in the Clone Wars and last days of the Old Republic. If they were written 5-10 years later, would Zahn have been allowed that sort of freedom? Probably not. At most it makes a few people a few years younger than originally thought.

My biggest problem is that even after a certain character was introduced, Bel-Iblis, there were other Corellian senators who had served longer or where there in the Senate when supposedly he was. Seems like an obvious oversight to me and not some of the more subtle ones people usually gripe about.

This is and will continue to be a problem of with the EU: When one writer is given too much editorial control and that writer is not Lucas. First it was Star Wars According to Kevin J Anderson (big reason why Del Ray got series from Spectra). Now it is becoming too much James Luceno's version of things (and I like JL a lot more than KJA both in terms of plot and characterization).

Now things that are being done well: there is a great cooperation between Dark Horse and Del Ray right now in terms of plot, developing and handing off stories, and intertwining of plots. It may seem daunting if you'd like to get into the EU, but never have, there is a lot out there and it all interconnects in ways beyond just the movies. If anything it adds more depth, allowing characterization that is hinted at but never fully realized in the limits of a script and time of a 2.5 hour movie.

Vortex
09-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I just started bloodlines last night. Haven't read the Swarm series and maybe I should for this.

It will be interesting to see what they do to Fett and is Fett the character that gets waxed in the end? Or will he live to hunt another day?

As much as I love and respect the icon that Fett is, honestly I wouldn't be overly disapointed if he was written out.

I wasn't every very big on Jacen, and even now I don't like him as a character. He's only going to add another smudge to the skywalker name.

If you think about it, the skywalkers have been involved in every galactic war, every major and minor event that has had some sort of major outcome to the face and shape of the galaxy. One could say that galaxy's problems constantly hing on the skywalkers and their constant involvment.

But it will be interesting to see how long and how well this story arc goes and does. I personally don't like these long story lines and plots, and think they should be limited to under 6 books and written by 2-3 authors. It gets muddied when there's too many story lines, sub-plots, and authors with differnt writing styles.

pbarnard
09-05-2006, 02:44 PM
But it will be interesting to see how long and how well this story arc goes and does. I personally don't like these long story lines and plots, and think they should be limited to under 6 books and written by 2-3 authors. It gets muddied when there's too many story lines, sub-plots, and authors with differnt writing styles.

9 Books, 3 Authors. Pretty much what you want. If the things that Lumiya said to Jacen are true, there should be a line of apologists who slammed Traitor and the late NJO ;)

Course, with that much power how could he not be tempted?

Vortex
09-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I thought there were 12 books, but hey I guess not. 9 to me is still quite a bit for a story arc.

I personally wasn't big on Traitor and I'll have to wait and see where Jacen in headed with all this. He'll have to hit rock bottom book 4-5 and then come back out of it some how on his own or with help from some one his lover maybe? And I'm guessing he'll have to confront his master, be it Luke or Mara given the sith and jedi mode of operation. But I was honestly hoping that in the NJO Jania was the one to go over to the dark side, oh well.

pbarnard
09-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I thought there were 12 books, but hey I guess not. 9 to me is still quite a bit for a story arc.

I personally wasn't big on Traitor and I'll have to wait and see where Jacen in headed with all this. He'll have to hit rock bottom book 4-5 and then come back out of it some how on his own or with help from some one his lover maybe? And I'm guessing he'll have to confront his master, be it Luke or Mara given the sith and jedi mode of operation. But I was honestly hoping that in the NJO Jania was the one to go over to the dark side, oh well.

Already happened. Brought back by Kyp of all people...the start of model Jedi citizen Kyp at that. finally figured that he owed some people a lot for not being killed or jailed for genocide, started to act the way he should've been. Although still disagree with the whole got more power than luke bit...but digress. She turned, Aleema Rar, and Tahiri walked the line in star by star, dark journey and a few short stores in Insider.

Vortex
09-05-2006, 04:16 PM
When did that all take place in the swarm series?

I knew I should have read that series when it came out. The books are on my night stand, but getting hitched last year, various other things, I just never got back around to them...

Sebulba_Fett
09-05-2006, 07:01 PM

I knew I should have read that series when it came out. The books are on my night stand, but getting hitched last year, various other things, I just never got back around to them...

Actually, if you want, take your time getting into Swarm War. As big a fan as I have been of Star Wars EU, Swarm War just didn't do much for me. A couple years ago maybe it would have been ok, but NJO raised the bar for me. I was expecting a lot more. It does tie up one major loose end from NJO but to be honest I think that was the only thing that it dealt with from the whole series. Also, Swarm War does have some set up for the Legacy series, but not too much so far.

pbarnard
09-05-2006, 07:39 PM

As I already stated, in the events of Star by Star, Dark Journey, several NJO stories in Insider, and a small bit of Destiny's Way.

Swarm War was sort of a continuation if not over playing of the risk of Jedi Battle Melds. Didn't do much beyond resolve the relationship between Tenel-Ka and Jacen. If anything it was one big long introduction for Ben Skywalker.

Joshkj
09-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Im not reading the legacy books right now but I am keeping up with the Legacy comics. Im waiting for the paperback of all the books. Im a huge EU fan!:thumbsup:

pbarnard
09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm buying the novels as they come out but going to wait on Legacy the comic for TPB editions. The comic shops around me (or that I'm willing to travel to) have spotty distribution on the one shot Dark Horse titles, and sometimes even whole issues of ongoing series.

Vortex
09-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Yea if a line isn't popular or if its short run some small shops won't order it unless you ask.

I've run into that a few times. But I haven't missed a comic series yet...

I'm just happy to see some one finally picked up the Tron Title...been waiting on that for 2-3 years now. Now if they'd just bring back Danger Girl.

El Chuxter
09-08-2006, 04:03 AM
The second Legacy novel came in the mail today. I've not read the first yet. I read the back cover of Bloodlines, or whatever it's called, though. Yep, I think I'll be saving a lot of money on this horses*** from now on. There can't be no more Sith. Period. Much less Darth Jacen. You guys just talk on about this, and don't worry about spoiling me. I'll just laugh at the subject matter and roll my eyes.

Vortex
09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Well I finished Bloodlines yesterday on the flight home from NY.

I'm still mixed about how I feel about this line. They are scripting the story line right along episode III and wishy-washy, the man who used to let things falls as they may, Jacen is really turning into a ugly character, and I can see why are doing this, but you can only use a pattern for so long. Heck I knew right away what Jacen's last test would be...

Luke is looking like something of jedi joke, like Obi-wan was in ep. I, II, and III...to some degree bumbling and oblivious, and the Solo family is starting to turn into wall paper. Han and Leia are flat, Jania is also a flat character in this series so far, and the only real conflict I like is with Fett and his family.

I'll pick up the next book when it comes out, but I'll read the swarm series before that since they are using those books as a crutch and baseline for the following books and plot lines.

At the end of Bloodlines they give you a sample of the next book and again, you need to know some of the back story from swarm to fill in the gaps and figure out where all this is headed.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I just started Bloodlines, and I like the Boba Fett storyline so far (it's no spoiler... dude is on the cov-er, people :pleased: ). The save-the-galaxy-now-before-it's-too-late deal is like, hoe-hum and stuff at this point. What-ev-er...

pbarnard
10-03-2006, 08:27 PM
I finished Bloodlines. Has some interesting modern themes in it: Justification for Premptive war, Secret Police/spying on the population, racial profiling etc.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm about halfway through Bloodlines, and without giving too many spoilers away, I am very worried about the direction the series may be heading. Fett's story is intriguing, Han's decisions haven't been easy to make, but the rest sounds too far much like a movie I saw within the last year. :yes: