PDA

View Full Version : Rome Season II

Bosskman
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Who here knows when season II of Rome is coming out?

I just got the first season on DVD and what a freakin' awesome show it is. I never got to see it when it was on TV but I heard it was a good show so I took a 100 dollar gamble when I bought the DVD (well, not really, I knew it would be good) The thing is though, I never knew HOW good it would be till I watched it. I have now seen all 12 episodes of season 1 (I've watched them every night after wokk since tuesday).

Bring on season II.

Kidhuman
08-17-2006, 08:26 PM
It is being filmed right now. Look for it early next year or toward the end of this year.

Blue2th
08-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I love this series. I watched it religiously when it was on. I need to go out and buy Season one. I wonder what's gonna happen next? You kinda know because it's based on history, but how it happens in "Rome" is fascinating.

JimJamBonds
08-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Yet another great show from HBO! Bring on Season II!!!

2-1B
08-18-2006, 12:00 AM
I love Rome so much I turned myself into a eunuch.

UKWildcat
08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
I took a gamble on this set as well, although it only set me back a mere $20 plus shipping, See thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474599). I received the dvd set yesterday so I have yet to watch any episodes. I've got other priorities, like Deadwood, but I really can't wait to get into Rome. I hope it's as good as I hear. :thumbsup:

2-1B
08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
It is, UKDubs. :D

JimJamBonds
08-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I took a gamble on this set as well, although it only set me back a mere $20 plus shipping, See thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474599). I received the dvd set yesterday so I have yet to watch any episodes. I've got other priorities, like Deadwood, but I really can't wait to get into Rome. I hope it's as good as I hear. :thumbsup:

If you don't like it I'll take it off your hands for $20 plus shipping. :D

UKWildcat
08-18-2006, 12:30 AM
It is, UKDubs. :D

Sweet. Good to hear. You know I trust your judgement C.

I may or may not be in touch with you on that. ;) lol

JimJamBonds
08-18-2006, 12:34 AM

I may or may not be in touch with you on that. ;) lol

I may or may not hold my breath then. :p

Darth Instigator
08-18-2006, 07:05 AM
yes this is another awesome show by HBO, whomever is coming up with these shows lately is doing a real good job. I used to hate paying for HBO now I dont mind at all

Bosskman
08-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Yeah, there is definately a lot of territory to cover with this show if they want to go far with it. I don't know how far they want to go though. Clearly they intend to cover Caesar Augustus (Octavian for those who don't know) but beyond that who knows. If they plan on changing the cast they could cover the whole period of the Empire. It only lasted about 300 years or so. There would definately be enough fodder for the intigure and whatnot that this show does so well.

As far as the plotlines of the families of Pullo and Vorenus, they could show the next genrations of those families and stuff that happens to them. It would be unusual for a show to do something like this (like years between seasons and completely new casts every season or so) but I think it could work. I hope so anyways.

As far as season 2 goes, I wonder how the Pullo and Vorenus stories will play out. What will Vorenus do to Niobe's kid? Will Vorenus still be a senator now that Caesar is gone? Their stories I find as good as the stuff about the big wigs. I want to go back and read up on the real history though. This show seems to be the most historically accurate of any filmed stories about ancient Rome. Most of the older stuff was based more on Shakespear's play "Julius Caesar", and Gladiator, while it had the look of authenticity, was ridiculously historically innacurate in terms of the way the characters thought and acted and the whole storyline in general. (Don't get me wrong, I loved that movie as a movie, but historically, it's CRAP)

General_Grievous
01-06-2007, 08:33 PM
If anyone wants to know, Season 2 starts on January 14th.

Kidhuman
01-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Already anxiously awaiting the day

2-1B
01-07-2007, 09:20 PM
me too ! I see they are firing up the encores of the last season already, so we got one more week to go. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
01-08-2007, 12:35 PM
This is great news, I can't wait until next Sunday! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Anyone else catch this last night? Awesome start to a second season. Mark Anthony stuck it right to them. The kid getting all the power is going to be sweet. I couldnt help but laugh when the guy with no legs was pulling himself down the street yelling "Caesar's dead"

General_Grievous
01-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I caught bits and pieces of it. I love how Vorenus has turned into somewhat of a vigilante.

mrhat
01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Ah Rome, I would wait an eternity to see season 2, but I didn't have to! Nothing has been lost in the year or so hiatus, the grit and grime is all still here, from the marvelous sets to the ridiculously good costumes, even some new locales. We get Cleopatra back in the next episode, hurray, with ceasar dead, lots more of her and Mark Antony, oh and the fatastic rivalry that is about to erupt between Octavian and Ceasarian...

JimJamBonds
01-16-2007, 01:07 AM
We get Cleopatra back in the next episode, hurray, with ceasar dead, lots more of her and Mark Antony, oh and the fatastic rivalry that is about to erupt between Octavian and Ceasarian...

Ahh hello spoilers!?!?!?!?!?! :D

mrhat
01-17-2007, 01:51 AM
Well it's fairly common knowledge that Cleopatra and Mark Antony had a relationship of one kind or another, and from the event of the first episode of season 2 (Octavian being named heir to the throne of Rome) and the short snippet of episode 2 (Cleo brining Ceasarian to Atia's party and revealing him as the true heir to Rome) A rivalry is eminant, moreso on Octavian's part, since Ceasarian is a bit young, although with this series anything is possible. Now if you want to learn more on the later events in the saga of Cleopatra, Mark Antony, Octavian, and Ceasarian, watch Cleopatra starring Elizabeth Taylor, or any of the numerous History Channel specials on the subject of Cleo, Rome, Etc... Plus the show is still mainly about Pullo and Vorenus, with this being a nice, juicy side plot, leading to certian later historical events...

JimJamBonds
01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Great episode!!! I forgot how awesome this show is!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
01-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Man yet another great episode of Rome on Sunday night! Anybody else catch it!?!?! Caesar have you started watching season II yet?

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I watched it, good episode. Octavin is playing Antony well. He got his butt kicked for it too.

JimJamBonds
01-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Not to mention dropping a W bomb on his mom.... then again he slept with his sister so so what? When in Rome.......

Ji'dai
01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
So Vorenus' children are alive. Erastes must have sold them into slavery. I figured he was telling the truth about murdering them and throwing them in the river. I wonder if Octavian will discover the kids and then use them as a bargaining chip with Vorenus to buy the new crimelord's loyalty from Mark Antony.

JimJamBonds
02-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Going into Sunday's episode I thought the preview gave away too much ie showing that Atia survives the poisioning. Now after watching the episode I liked the way that played out. My thought was it wouldn't be enough poison to kill her but having the cook die was a nice twist. Other then that I thought the episode was on the weak side but next weeks looks interesting.

Bosskman
02-06-2007, 06:19 AM
I've been reading the recaps for this season and they all look sweet. I can't wait for this time next year so I can buy it on DVD. The first season, I bought in a second without even seeing one minute of the show. Best. Show. Ever.

mrhat
02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
The episdoe wasn't so bad, and you figure were not to far into this season yet, so killing Atia would be a very bad idea, that whole business with servillia was incredibly brutal, but I figured she wouldn't be killed just yet either. The new Octavian is a fair portrayal of what the historical Octavian was like, so I am happy with that re-cast. Now we need some more Cleopatra and Mark Antony, and this season will be in good shape

JimJamBonds
02-06-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't remember where I read it but apparently there won't be a third season of Rome. Low ratings and high production costs was given as the reason. I hope that isn't true. :mad: :cry:

2-1B
02-11-2007, 10:12 PM
now THAT is how you end an episode...rockin' the metal horns. \m/ :D

Great season once again, I've been behind by a week all the time so I wasn't reading this thread. I'm caught up now, and loving every minute of it. Plus I thought last week was fantastic, with the attempts on the lives of Servillia and her hired assassin. :)

decadentdave
02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Still don't know why they switched actors playing Octavian. It's kind of jarring continuity wise. I can't wait for Mark Antony to avenge his loss against him. That's gonna be f'ing brilliant. I can't believe this is the last season. They could easily have spent 5 years on this show covering Caesar's rule up until his murder and then followed Antony but they are covering a lot of ground in just 26 episodes. It's a shame because this is one of the best dramatic shows on television. Rome is The Shield set in Roman times.

JimJamBonds
02-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Still don't know why they switched actors playing Octavian. It's kind of jarring continuity wise.

Yeah it threw me off a bit as well. If they went with an older Octavian why didn't they go with an older version of his sister as well?

2-1B
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
'cause she didn't have to pube up like the young boy did.

"May the gods feed them honey."

JimJamBonds
02-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Wow great episode yesterday! All kinds of good stuff happening, I loved the look on Cicero's face when Octavian declared Brutus an enemy of the Republic!!! This episode totally delivered imho! Last but not least lets not forget about those horns! lol

Kidhuman
02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Octavian played them all like Nintendo. It was great. Antony and Caesar only teaming up to defeat a common enemy and then its on. Cant wait.

And yes, the acting change was stupid.

JimJamBonds
02-14-2007, 12:47 AM
And yes, the acting change was stupid.

Does anybody happen to know the real life time frame between/during episodes? I think it was two episodes ago when Pullo headed north it did say something like "several months later." I don't recall where young Caesar was encamped (France right?) but it would have taken him some time to make it back to Rome. I would presume he was there for sometime before heading back north to find Antony. So with those things in mind I'm ok with having an older Octavian.

Kidhuman
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Three months was the time difference when Pullo returned.

JimJamBonds
02-21-2007, 01:16 AM
(yet another) Great episode the other night! Cicero getting about to get killed and that slave comes up to "rescue" him!?!!? Pullo asking about the peaches (it would make a nice gift for the wife!). They really excellerated things with Antony/Octavian vs. Brutas. I thought they did a nice job of showing how huge those armies were! Like I said another great episode.

Ji'dai
02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I was surprised how much of the Battle of Phillipi they showed. The last major battles (Aleisa and Pharsallus) weren't shown in that much detail. Next episode in 2 weeks? Looks like 4 more left, so hopefully they'll cover Antony & Cleopatra's defeat at Actium and the beginning of the Imperial era.

JimJamBonds
02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Next episode in 2 weeks?

Really do you know why?

Looks like 4 more left, so hopefully they'll cover Antony & Cleopatra's defeat at Actium and the beginning of the Imperial era.

There is about 12ish years between the battle of Phillipi and the battle of Actium. I didn't catch all of the preview for the next episode but it appears to take place about 2 years after Phillipi.

Kidhuman
02-22-2007, 02:58 AM
They ran out of money and had to save to film it

I dont know why really, just a goof since they are canceling it due to money issues.

JimJamBonds
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I dont know why really, just a goof since they are canceling it due to money issues.

/low ratings.

Ji'dai
02-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Really do you know why? Not really, no. It just said "in 2 weeks" after last Sunday's ep. I think HBO is repeating episodes 13-18 instead.

There is about 12ish years between the battle of Phillipi and the battle of Actium. I didn't catch all of the preview for the next episode but it appears to take place about 2 years after Phillipi. Yep, you're right. Phillipi was in 42 BC and Actium was in 31 BC, with Octavian becoming Emperor in 27 BC. I'm interested in the Timon storyline with him and his brother stirring trouble among Rome's Jews. Too bad the beginning of the Christian era is still several decades away from the current storyline.

Ji'dai
03-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I certainly didn't anticipate Servillia and her slave committing double suicide in the friggin' street. I thought she was instigating some type of judicial proceeding against Atia for her capture and torture. Antony's comment was classic: "Now that's an exit." :D

I really expected Servillia to be shipped east and made to screw baboons for the entertainment of the Persian potentate that funded Brutus and Cassius' army. Now that would be ironic.

JON9000
03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
If they were to do more "ROME" I would suggest a couple of prequel seasons consisting of the rivalry between Gaius Marius and Lucius Cornelius Sulla leading up to the acension of Pompey/Battle of Carrhae. Many of our current characters; Pompey, Caesar, Cicero, Cato all would have been quite young at the beginning- and the era is full of interesting historical rivalries. I feel it would make for exciting drama and increase the resonance of the current series.

JimJamBonds
03-15-2007, 12:21 AM
If they were to do more "ROME" I would suggest a couple of prequel seasons... Many of our current characters; Pompey, Caesar, Cicero, Cato all would have been quite young at the beginning- I feel it would make for exciting drama and increase the resonance of the current series.

I knew Caesar when he was young and he was a good guy, no killings etc. just a regular dude.

TeeEye7
03-31-2007, 07:47 AM
yes this is another awesome show by HBO, whomever is coming up with these shows lately is doing a real good job. I used to hate paying for HBO now I dont mind at all

John Milius, one of the executive producers, created "Dirty Harry" and wrote the screen play for "Apocalypse Now". Could be his influence has a lot to do with how good the series is
:yes: