PDA

View Full Version : Death Star PlaySet Re-Release

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I think They Should Re-release the original death star play set, as they are giving us all this new death star stuff, and it could be used for both death stars, becasue face it, the second death star and first death star are the same thing. plus the could put grates in the sides so they could connect into a circle with the turbolasers at the top, in fact the could include a generic gray uniformed officer, or a stromtrooper, or tarkin, or a death star droind, or heck! the could include all of them! ive posted some pics of the originals.

DarkArtist
08-19-2006, 01:04 PM
I would love a Death Star playset as much as the next person but re-releasing the orignal Kenner version that I not so sure about. I would rather they continue what they did with the POTF line and release mini sets like a throne room, conference room, hanger bay, etc. This way the collector can decide what they want and how they want the Death Star to look. I mean we already have a Death Star Chasm, a detention block, and the trash compactor sets from Walmart.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 04:28 PM
but i saying they would have connectors in the side so they could connect into a circle, plus they come with death star cannons, so i would like to know hwat elso you would likke to do with your death star gunner. hmm? no ideas? plus this was the first ever version of the dionoga ever.

Jargo
08-19-2006, 05:46 PM
The trouble with the kenner death star and the palitoy one was that they looked nothing at all like any part of the death star I've ever seen pictured.
And i suspect everyone has their own part of the death star that they'd want to see focused on such as the briefing room, the tractor beam controls, the chasm, the throne room, the docking bay or the little ante room with the blast door that the stormtrooper walks into.

Personally I like the corridors. In theory something along the lines of the cellblock playset but more generic, maybe three different variants on the upright wall. but the base would be the flat black panelling like in the movie and would interlock with other sections. I suppose one wall could come with a blast door at one end with sliding diagonal blast doors.
each variant would pack with two or three figures. at least one new figure per pack. figures being stuff like the commtech stormtrooper, TIE pilot, royal guard, Imperial officer (2nd or third head variant), Mouse droid (but smaller and better scaled).

sorta ting. I'd sooner get less and then build it up and have more. if you follow. trying to cram too much into one playset would make it come out looking awful and innaccurate. concentrating on a simpler theme and using it as a way to sell multi-packs of figures seems like better business sense to me. better than going for broke on some large chunk of preformed plastic that will probably end up being clearanced and *****ed about ad infinitum.

But that's just how i see it. I fully expect you to disagree and so you should. freedom of thought.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 06:24 PM
no you make a good point, but if you got rid of the elevator on the 3rd floor (gun battery) you could put the conference room there and move the guns to the roof.

Jargo
08-19-2006, 08:14 PM
*sound of running feet. door opens and then slams shut*

jedi master sal
08-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Personally I like the corridors. In theory something along the lines of the cellblock playset but more generic, maybe three different variants on the upright wall. but the base would be the flat black panelling like in the movie and would interlock with other sections. I suppose one wall could come with a blast door at one end with sliding diagonal blast doors.
each variant would pack with two or three figures. at least one new figure per pack. figures being stuff like the commtech stormtrooper, TIE pilot, royal guard, Imperial officer (2nd or third head variant), Mouse droid (but smaller and better scaled).

I said very nearly the same thing sans figures. To keep this relatively inexpensive packaging wise, and take up less peg/shelf space, I say no figure pack-ins. Hasbro can readily spit out stormtroopers, imperial officers, etc., for us to fill in the mini sets.

My idea was the same as yours Mr.DP. I said have a few different sets of corridors, two main sizes-4 inch long and 8 inch long. the 4 inch long would have two variants. One regular walls and another with blast doors. Each set would connect to the other. Each set includes two wall units, floor unit (that the walls connect to, as well as the neccessary connectors for the walls to the floor and additional ones to connect other corridors. Then hasbro could do special playsets like the red control room which could connect, trash compactor room, chasm/shield generator, etc. (If I could find the post I'd link it, but my skills at digging up old threads isn't as good as some of the other fellas here.) Though I know the post isn't too old. Less than 6 months for sure.

-Sal

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 11:06 PM
yeah, tour your probably right, again. but they should at least sell the turret on the 3rd floor with the new death star gunner as a deluxw figure or something

jedi master sal
08-20-2006, 08:33 AM
yeah, tour your probably right, again. but they should at least sell the turret on the 3rd floor with the new death star gunner as a deluxw figure or something

I actually agree though that I think Hasbro should release this again.

But you will here/see a noticeable backlash from collectors. Most specifically from those who have been trying for years to get a complete set of this. That set can garner a couple hundred dollars if people are piecing it together. Some people even will pay upwards of $300 or more for a NMIB one.

So if Hasbro came out with this again, the secondary market would plummet on these. Now that might be good from a sense that if you were a person trying to piece one together, you could get your remaining pieces fairly cheap. But if you've already spent a bunch so far piecing it together, then you might get peed off.

I don't ever recall owning this set. But I know a buddy from my childhood did and we would play with that playset for hours. Mind you I wouldn't do that now... but I'd love to finally own that set. Whether it was rereleased as it originally was or with some updated graphics.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
i never got it as i was born reoghly 10 years after star wars came out, adn that is why i want a re release. plus all they would have to do is use the old kener mold wich i think they own when they joined kenner. oh and they have the chasm thing. look at the top behind of the elevator, it;s one of them and it has the legde.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-21-2006, 01:01 PM
see this top thing at the top of the elvator? this is the chasm thimgy. it has a grey ledge that wraps around it.

JEDIpartner
08-21-2006, 04:06 PM
but i saying they would have connectors in the side so they could connect into a circle.

With the side panels closing it all off, it would look like a large cylinder and how would you gat to the inside of it? ;)

If they reissued it, they could just print new stickers that are more movie accurate and also make more movie accurate inserts for the main panels. I think it would be fine.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-21-2006, 05:28 PM
the side panels could be removable. i mean duh! and the turret floor has no pannels but a real roof with no holes would be nice.

jedi master sal
08-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Okay, suppose for a minute that Hasbro says they would consider making this set.

How much would you PAY for it?

I like this set. It's large and has lots of playability. Though many of the parts are flat, which makes it easy to manufacture. The box need not be as big this time around as the first. Besides if the box is smaller than retailers would be more apt to selling it as it wouldn't take up as much shelf space (some assembly required on our part-which I'm fine with).

Realistically I would pay between $60-90 for this set depending on the extras.

-Sal

Rogue II
08-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I was lucky enough to have this when I was a kid. It was great, but I don't think it really fits well in the modern line. The box would still have to be a similar size because of the length of the elevator shaft and the width of the levels. There isn't really any parts worth salvaging from this playset that would work in the modern line.

JMS's idea of the modular playset would work better. Then, if they brought back the Deluxe line to include some accessories to fill it. Like Death Star Gunner w/ turbo blaster, R2 w/ droid comm area, C-3PO w/ closet, Obi-Wan w/ Tractor Beam coupling, etc.

$60 is more than I would pay for a re-release of the vintage set. Probably wouldn't pay more than $40-$50.

stillakid
08-22-2006, 01:07 PM
I have a vintage, but it has always been lacking. Which is why I proposed an All-in-One Death Star some time ago in this thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=331034&postcount=3

Re: Multiple Death Star playsets as one
Reprinted from many previous postings:

Quote:
I'll still campaign for my all-in-one Death Star playset.

Roughly, the same height as the vintage Death Star playset. When closed up, it's a globe with detailing that makes it a fine display Death Star like has never before been created. It opens into 4 wedges, each with interconnected play areas.

With a playset this size, all of the attributes of the ANH battlestation as well as the ROTJ additions could easily be included adding tremendous value, both for play and economy.

It would be slightly more expensive than than the typical cardboard cutout playsets that we've been offered, but the cache and originality of it would attract young and old alike.

While the above ideas of having Hasbro release separate interlocking pieces isn't a bad idea, I don't think that they would be nearly as marketable as one giant kick-*** looking Death Star sitting on a toy shelf. If you build it, they will come.

For clarification, this is a whole globe with a slightly flattened bottom. Imagine taking the vintage Death Star playset and adding a curved "shell" to it. That would be one of the wedges.

I think that it would work out best to have one half be one of the pieces then split the other half into two wedges. The side that is an entire half could have longer areas in it, like hallways with blastdoors or even a hangar bay. The wedges could have the Emperor's chamber at the top and the trash compactor at the bottom. Suffice it to say that there is a lot of room to integrate many of the favorite Death Star attributes. The vintage playset had a 21" tall elevator which could be used as a central "core" to connect the pieces together. The entire playset would likely top out around 2' tall (and around) once you put the curved shell on it.

They charge whatever they want to...whatever they think they can get. A 3" action figure doesn't cost anywhere near $7 bucks to design, manufacture, and distribute when they make a lot of them. They charge that money because they know they can get it. Look at the price drops in the Queen's ship, the 12" Dewback, the 12" "pegwarmers", pegwarmer's in general. Somebody is still making a little profit at those enormous price cuts. That's why they stop dropping the price tag at a certain point, otherwise they'd just give them away for free. So this playset might have a real cost of $50 to $75 to produce and distribute, which they would inflate to around $150 retail. That is a lot of money, but people are generally willing to accept the cost if they perceive the value in the product. I of course guessed at those costs, but I averaged out what I think is the real cost (lower) and what I think they'd ask for (higher). My honest opinion is that it would cost less per unit to make and distribute and a fair retail price would be around $100. I factored in the greed-profit motive.

I'd buy it and I believe that a lot of other people would too. The Queen's ship sat on clearance shelves (I believe) due to a poor lead-in (TPM wasn't as good as the classic trilogy). A really cool looking classic trilogy toy will get the parent's attention (late 20's to late 30's) (nearly everybody liked the classic trilogy) and no kid could resist a toy that huge. It would sell out. Almost guaranteed.

Just like an actual movie set, so much more could be done with independent playsets as some people have suggested, so naturally there would some compromise within each "scene" for an all-in-one playset idea.

I haven't drawn plans up yet (but maybe soon!), but I'll try to give some written clues as to this hypothetical dream.

Docking Bay 327 (the big problem): This would be located on the lower portion of the complete "half." Like so many playsets before this, sadly because of size restrictions, the Falcon would have to be represented by a photo backdrop, but there really is no way to squeeze the Falcon Toy or the Shuttle Tyderium (sp?) into a hangar-type playset that isn't absolutely gargantuan. The good news is that the "room" could have blast doors off to one side for recreation of the duel. If Hasbro went all out, they could include a floor panel that slid out from the "half" to give more floor space to line up Stormtroopers on.

DB327 control room (the red room): Right above the Hangar space, in the mid-section of the "half."

The Elevator Bank: The central core of the entire playset, constructed in the same way as the vintage model. It integrates the elevator action as well as the tractor beam control walkway.

The Outer Detention area: Just above the Garbage Compactor.

The Detention Block hallway: In the next wedge over and on the same level as the Outer Detention Area.

Garbage Chute: In the wedge opposite and just above the one with the Compactor as part of the Outer Detention Area.

The Tractor Beam Controls: As above, integrated into the cental elevator column.

The Rope Swing: An abitrary placement of an extended bridge from one wedge to another or to the central column, ala vintage version.

The Vader/Ben Duel: Lower level of the "half," off to the side of the hangar bay area.

The Blast Doors: Integrated into hangar Bay.

Plus various hallways that Ben sneaks through or Han howls through: N/A

Add to that the Throne room, which from the post above is a giant playset unto itself: The entire upper level of all three pieces (one half, two wedges)

And finally, the nature of the design excludes 50% of the play space because it has to represent the "Outside" of the Death Star: Some of the "rooms" would need straight walls, so indeed some of that trapped curved space would be lost to outright play, however it could be utilized as storage and/or use breakaway panels for guntowers to pop out of or something.

I've been playing around with the vintage Death Star and trying to "connect" the playset pieces that we got a couple years ago with some success. It takes a little reconfiguration and some extra supports but I've managed to rig up the Detention Hallway so that the heroes can really fall into the bright orange compactor. The Rope Swing is a little tougher to integrate into the old design, but it can go just about anywhere so long as it gets supported so that it is on "level 2." I'm still trying to figure out the best way to remove the gun emplacement on the top level and replace it with the Emperor's throne. Doing all that stuff got me thinking about a well-designed playset like the one I'm suggesting. I think that it is possible and for a reasonable cost. But with the way Hasbro feels about releasing the Shuttle, I don't forsee any realistic hope of it ever happening from them. Looks like a custom job!

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

I was thinking insteads of a "slide out" docking bay floor, how about a "panel" that separates the two wedge quarters from the wedge half. When you open up the DS, the panel folds down to reveal a docking bay floor. Hinged on the edge of this is a "hangar bay entrance" that folds up and locks in between the two quarters. Two feet x Two feet might almost be big enough for a shuttle or a Falcon to stand in. just an idea.

It's lookin' good, though. I can sort of see it in my mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by stillakid

That's a good idea! There's probably a way to work in a flourescent "magnetic hangar bay" frame as well to complete the look.

jedi master sal
08-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Just one reason why it wouldn't sell: Retailer do not want their precious shelf space being taken up by one behemoth of a toy.

By the description of your idea, this indeed would do just that. We'd be lucky to see one or two at a time on the shelves.

Also, given today's collector's mindset of "wait for it to go on clearance," this just wouldn't be viable for big bx stores. E-tailers would fare no better. They have warehouseing fees to pay and if product doesn't move quick enough they take a hit. Something as large as you are suggesting would cost WELL of $100. I'd venture to say it would be no less than $250, but closer to $300. Many collectors just don't want to drop that kind of scratch on Hasbro stuff. Not at once anyway. (That's why modular sets are a better idea. Buy a little at a time and build as you want) Also, parents aren't apt to buying a playset of the scale you are saying, because they are smart enough to know that the child is only going to play with it until the next latest and greatest thing comes along.

It's definitely not the same as when I was a kid back in the late 70s/early 80s. I had toys I would play with for hours on end, days/weeks/months at a time.

With the net and ever increasing technological advances, large toys such as these won't work for the market place, nor kids attention span. To be honest I'm still rather surprised that we got a reissue AT-AT. (Now where's my damn AT-TE!!! I want 5 of them!)

Anyway, good idea SK, in theory, but overall to big and ultimately to costly for the manufacturer, retailer and consumer alike.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-23-2006, 08:38 PM
not exactly true, they could sell them as a toys r us exclusive. i dont usally like toys r us but i went there and they had a shelf ful of the black pearl. i love pirates of the carribean allmost as much as star wars (dont get angry!)
so i came back the next day with my money and there was only one left so i got it. so it would pobably sell.

jedi master sal
08-24-2006, 08:13 AM
not exactly true, they could sell them as a toys r us exclusive. i dont usally like toys r us but i went there and they had a shelf ful of the black pearl. i love pirates of the carribean allmost as much as star wars (dont get angry!)
so i came back the next day with my money and there was only one left so i got it. so it would pobably sell.

Ah but what you are missing here is the Pirates of the Caribeean (sp?) is the "flavor" of the month. It's one of the lines that's hot right now. There's only one more movie in that series and it definitely does not have the staying power that SW does. Besides, we're not talking Hasbro here with POTC stuff. The other manufacturer decided to take a risk and make bigger toys/playsets for POTC. So far as I've seen, they aren't selling all that well. Not that I'm watching it all that much, but I constantly see those bigger POTC stuff, where as SW stuff is selling well with some exceptions.

I almost think it's right for Hasbro to not distribute the Death Star set to retail. And I don't think there's enough online retail interest to warrant Hasbro rereleasing this. A pre-order might be the way to go, with the idea that only if there are enough pre-order will the toy get made. But even that is sketchy as people cancel orders all the time.
That's why I'm still a proponent for small modular sets. Quick and easy to produce, inexpensive to the consumer, doesn't take up much shelf space for the retailer...everyone wins, IMO.

-Sal

stillakid
08-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Anyway, good idea SK, in theory, but overall to big and ultimately to costly for the manufacturer, retailer and consumer alike.

Well reasoned, I suppose, but why not let them make that decision, eh? ;) Why I believe that an item like this WOULD sell over modular plastic boxes is that it actually resembles something everyone recognizes. Nobody would ever drop $100+ on four generic plastic walls, but put it all together in a package that is an icon of pop culture and it's a whole different ballgame.

For instance, child A walks into toy aisle with his b'day money and has the choice between a "modular" playset that, if you buy 20 more of, will maybe eventually look like the Death Star without the iconic ball look. He picks up a random box because it has the Star Wars logo on it, but there isn't much to get excited about. Dad scans the shelf, but aside from a "Darth Vader" action figure, nothing catches his eye as being recognizable from his own past. He yawns, urging the boy to hurry up. The kid doesn't even know what "modular" means, so his attention flies to the "flavor of the month" the next aisle over and he drops his cash there.

Scenario two. Child A has $50 bucks to spend from his b'day. He wanders into the toy aisle and sees this gigantic toy that ooks like the Death Star. And it opens up to have a bunch of rooms for play inside and even comes with a couple of action figures! Ah, but it's $150 and he's a hundred shy. But it's enormous and he's seen this before in a movie! He calls Dad over to express his excitement. Dad is instantly drawn to it as well even though he was never a fanboy type. He's seen the Death Star and has no questions about what it is or where it came from. The price tag is pretty high, but it is pretty cool. His kid is definitely excited about it. At least he knows that this toy won't get abandoned a week after it shows up at home. He'll have the kid do a few extra chores around the house to "teach him a lesson" about earning money for things he wants. The toy goes in the cart and the neighborhood kids can't get enough of the thing, even bringing their own action figures over to help fill the joint.

It's not always about the bottom line. Emotion has more to do with what people purchase than anything else. Sex and nostalgia sell the best. What someone does with their toys behind closed doors is their business (ie sniffing? What the hell is that?). But nostalgia is a powerful motivator and shouldn't be left out of the equation. Sometimes people WILL do the irrational and spend more on one thing than less on 20 things. It's all about what strikes that specific nerve and makes them smile on the inside. :)

jedi master sal
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Well reasoned, I suppose, but why not let them make that decision, eh? ;)

I agree and so far their decision has been no.

Why I believe that an item like this WOULD sell over modular plastic boxes is that it actually resembles something everyone recognizes. Nobody would ever drop $100+ on four generic plastic walls, but put it all together in a package that is an icon of pop culture and it's a whole different ballgame.

Who said four walls would be $100?? I certainly didn't. My idea of modular playsets encompass sets that are the same price as figures and for ones a little bigger, then a little more, then for those that are specific rooms a little more. Basically prices would be $7-small set, $10-medium set, $15-20-large (room specific set).

For instance, child A walks into toy aisle with his b'day money and has the choice between a "modular" playset that, if you buy 20 more of, will maybe eventually look like the Death Star without the iconic ball look. He picks up a random box because it has the Star Wars logo on it, but there isn't much to get excited about. Dad scans the shelf, but aside from a "Darth Vader" action figure, nothing catches his eye as being recognizable from his own past. He yawns, urging the boy to hurry up. The kid doesn't even know what "modular" means, so his attention flies to the "flavor of the month" the next aisle over and he drops his cash there.

Agreed, but if the kids has enough to buy a $150 Death Star set as you're saying here then the point is moot at both ends. The kids would either get the whole set if available, or a whole bunch of sets that he can set up however he wants.

Scenario two. Child A has $50 bucks to spend from his b'day. He wanders into the toy aisle and sees this gigantic toy that ooks like the Death Star. And it opens up to have a bunch of rooms for play inside and even comes with a couple of action figures! Ah, but it's $150 and he's a hundred shy. But it's enormous and he's seen this before in a movie! He calls Dad over to express his excitement. Dad is instantly drawn to it as well even though he was never a fanboy type. He's seen the Death Star and has no questions about what it is or where it came from. The price tag is pretty high, but it is pretty cool. His kid is definitely excited about it. At least he knows that this toy won't get abandoned a week after it shows up at home. He'll have the kid do a few extra chores around the house to "teach him a lesson" about earning money for things he wants. The toy goes in the cart and the neighborhood kids can't get enough of the thing, even bringing their own action figures over to help fill the joint.

You're WAY to optimistic here. First most parents are going to say, "Well Billy (or insert kids name here), you only have $50 dollars so you can't get that big set. Also, most parents are quite savy and know that their kids aren't going to play with toys for too long, especially a playset this large. Okay maybe a little bit more than usual, but not worth the price of it. Conversly, the modular set offer something else. If Billy (the kid...) buys a couple of sets (say two small, 1 medium and 1 large)and only spends $40 for them, then either A) gets bored or B) likes them and wants more, then the parent is more educated on the kids desire. If the kid gets bored of the sets, then it's only $40 down the drain as opposed to $150. However if the kid really digs the sets and wants to build up the sets, then the parents knows they can get an additional set a month for instance (or sooner) and with little cost. The kid then gets to keep building up his own Death Star and if he ever gets bored of it, well it would take a long time to reach that initial $150 pricepoint so in the long run the parent saves money and the kids still had many hours of enjoyment.

It's not always about the bottom line.

WHAT are you serious?? It indeed is! Certainly it is more so with Hasbro nowadays than ever before.

Emotion has more to do with what people purchase than anything else. Sex and nostalgia sell the best. What someone does with their toys behind closed doors is their business (ie sniffing? What the hell is that?). But nostalgia is a powerful motivator and shouldn't be left out of the equation. Sometimes people WILL do the irrational and spend more on one thing than less on 20 things. It's all about what strikes that specific nerve and makes them smile on the inside. :)

Okay, I'll give you that, so I'll reiterate what you said at the begining of your post.

Let's let Hasbro decide.

So far they aren't going for either idea.

Heck I sure as heck would buy the whole Death Star set, so I'm not knocking it persay. But coming from me as a now adult collector with the kind of disposable income to buy this kind of thing..., it doesn't hold as much weight with Hasbro. (Which I find absolutely ridiculous.)

Have you all seen my clone collection...?

On average I'm buying $6K a year of this stuff. I wonder how many kids that represents? And there's a lot of guys like me. Heck if the average collector just buys ONE of each thing Hasbro produces for SW, then they're in the multiple thousands already. And that's where I'd say most collectors are. So that being the case, knowing kids don't and can't afford to buy as much, clearly collectors account for more. Certainly more than Hasbro is giving us credit for.

I'd venture to guess that an average kid is lucky to get about $300 worth of SW stuff per year (yes there are exceptions but I'm not talking about those few, I'm talking about the masses of kids). Again, comparing that to how much an average collector buys, there's really no comparison.

I'll just give my example. In my area there are several collectors. We have a virtual lock on the SW market here. We network and alert each other when and where new stuff is. We on many occasion buy for each other to sell/trade later. There's typcially not much product left. What's left eventually moves slowly, but it's not alot and not high ticket items. I see the same stuff for days/weeks on end. If kids were really buying this stuff up, then from the little that is left, we shouldn't see anything pegging.

Now some would say, "Well, it's because you guys buy up everything new!" And that's where I say, "Yes, that's EXACTLY my point!" Most often a kid is going to be satisfied with a figure or two, maybe a ship or so. We collectors will buy in droves and many dollars at one purchase. For some of us it's been a 30 year thing. We were KIDS then too! We grew up and still collect. But times are different now. As has been pointed out, kids just don't have the same attention span for toys like we did. Most parents I would think would rather buy a tech item for $150 for their kids computer for instance, that they know they're kid is going to keep using, rather than some huge playset that inside a month (maybe two if lucky) is going to start collecting dust.

Whew, went off topic there, but was able to recover and bring it back...

Anyway SK, I'm not deliberately arguing with you on this. I'm just giving my viewpoints as well. As I said, I'd buy the set if it came back out again.

let's just hope that whether it's the vintage toy or modular sets, at least ONE of them gets done. We NEED environments to put all these figures we've been collecting for so long!

They NEED a home, sniff sniff...

-Sal

Rogue II
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Other than that POTC, how many playsets are around for toy lines geared towards boys? After a quick search, I see Hot Wheels, Matchbox, a WWE wrestling ring, and some other Knights line. Not that many in comparrison to the lines meant for girls. Girls have Polly Pocket, Little Pets, Barbie, Brats, Dora, and on and on. I know this because my oldest daughter turned 5 last week. Either way, most of the playsets are priced in the $50 or less and generally come in a box about 18" x 12" x 6" (give or take).

Judging from what is out there now, I think a single playset over $50 is probably out of the question. The playsets are also competing with the X-Box 360 and upcoming PS3 with their $60 games.

Who said four walls would be $100?? I certainly didn't. My idea of modular playsets encompass sets that are the same price as figures and for ones a little bigger, then a little more, then for those that are specific rooms a little more. Basically prices would be $7-small set, $10-medium set, $15-20-large (room specific set).

Maybe if Hasbro made one or two larger $40-$50 playsets and have the modular $10-$15 sets that connected to them. They could essentially make a $100-$150 set when complete, but they would nickle and dime it over time instead of one big package.

jedi master sal
08-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe if Hasbro made one or two larger $40-$50 playsets and have the modular $10-$15 sets that connected to them. They could essentially make a $100-$150 set when complete, but they would nickle and dime it over time instead of one big package.

I gotta agree with you there. Look what happened with the cantina bar set. So far it's still rumored that we are getting the curved piece. But after how many years??

And yes, I know Hasbro said next year for the curved piece, but I'm becoming a bit cynical in my "advanced" age. We were supposed to get a Yavin wave THIS year if everyone recalls, and we didn't. So who's to say we really ARE going to get the curved bar piece. So I'm mildly suspicious to say the least.

But getting back to what Rogue II said. Indeed, a center piece playset with smaller modular sets would work, but they'd have to be released around the same time. Certainly within the same year.

Again, I've thought of the idea for this some time ago, that being the Jedi Temple. (As one example.)

I proposed that there would be a main center piece, with 6-8 modular smaller playets that could connect to the center piece in any number of configurations, or to each other, etc.

This CAN work. Hasbro just needs to put some faith and trust into this. If done right, a great majority of us collectors would buy the sets and I'm betting a reasonable amount of kids too.

That's one thing about SW that I think is far over and above any other franchised movie or toy line, it's got staying power. Once a kid is hooked on the toys, they tend to stay hooked on them for a long time. Case in point we 30-40 somethings out there. Then there's the 20 somethings who didn't have the benefit of theater experience of the movies, but for the SE and yet still cllected. Then there's the kids of nowadays who have grown up on the PTs.

We all WANT this stuff Hasbro!

A GREAT majority of us do. Not just the old fart collectors, but the newer ones AND kids!!

I've said this before, but they (Hasbro) has to strike while the iron is hot. I just read a report today that stated that SW is STILL the number one toy line out there. Sure it fell 87million when compared to last year's same quarter, but there was a movie out then. It still is TWICE as much in sales next to it's closest competition. The iron might not be boiling hot, but it still can burn, so burn baby burn!!! And give us those playsets, oh an NEW ships and vehicles too, while you're at it. AT-TE!!!

-Sal

stillakid
08-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, as mentioned, in the modular concept, by the time someone buys all the pieces over a loooong stretch of time, the chances are that he would have spent that huge amount of money anyway for what he could have purchased the all-in-one for. Add to that the fact that no "modular" design will ever look like a real Death Star (more like a block of apartments) and I'm not sure I see the appeal for anyone beyond diehard collectors longing for a place to display their collections.

Yes, it would be a lot of money, but I am for more likely to drop a large amount of money on an item that appears more accurate than one which is cheaper that doesn't resemble much of anything. I'd wager that most people would do the same. But what do I know? ;) The answer is "not much." :D

jedi master sal
08-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah, as mentioned, in the modular concept, by the time someone buys all the pieces over a loooong stretch of time, the chances are that he would have spent that huge amount of money anyway for what he could have purchased the all-in-one for. Add to that the fact that no "modular" design will ever look like a real Death Star (more like a block of apartments) and I'm not sure I see the appeal for anyone beyond diehard collectors longing for a place to display their collections.

Yes, it would be a lot of money, but I am for more likely to drop a large amount of money on an item that appears more accurate than one which is cheaper that doesn't resemble much of anything. I'd wager that most people would do the same. But what do I know? ;) The answer is "not much." :D

Okay, so YOU may want to drop that kind of scratch on something at once. But with the economy the way that it is, I don't think that's a majority opinion.

As to not looking like the Death Star, read on. Besides the corridors, did I NOT mention the scene rooms?? Oh wait I did. Hmm, making rooms specifically from the movie rather than a mish-mash of them that have no rhyme or reason as in the vintage Death Star set??

I guess I forgot to say that these sets that I'm proposing would stack. That's my fault. Yes, they would stack, and Hasbro could even reuse the elavator parts from the vintage sets for this.

As far as a long time, one year is not all that long. And it's really the marketing of this is where this could really take off. They'd have to get people excited about the next scene room. Give a schedule if you will of the releases for these sets. The anticipation alone will get to us and we'll be jumping to get them.

Something like this:
November 2006: Hasbro announces plans for modular playsets based on scenes from the Death Star. Every other month a playset based on an iconic scene will be released. Between that, various other minor locations such as corridors, blast doors and computer terminals will be available to purchase to allow you the oppportunity to build up your own Death Star.

January 2007 release:
Red Control Room (it's important to release a popular scene like this first to hook people into buying this line) Retails $20
Large and Medium corridors Retails-Large $10, Medium $7
Blast door Retails $10
Intersection (can be for a four way intersection or "T" intersection. Will include wall piece) Retails for $7

(Feb-continue to release the corridors and blast door)

March 2007 release:
Trash compactor Retails $20 This set has a trap door near the top that when connected to the detention block set will allow figures to fall from the Detention block to the Trash compactor. The walls in the Trash Compactor set are able to crush inwards using a small hand crank with the walls on tracks. It will be noted strongly not to over stuff the area between so as not to break the walls or track system. (two levels high-see below)
Curved corridors (Large/Small) Retails $10, $7 respectively

(April-continue with the corridors, blast door and now Curved corridors)

May 2007 release:
Detention block Retails$20 Includes receiving area (were the battle takes place), detention corridor, Leia's prison cell. Trap door which leads to the trash compactor.
Elevator-tall enough to connect 4 levels!
Computer terminal (essentially part of a corridor but with the middle section looking like a wall mounted computer terminal) Retails $10

(June-continue corridors, blast door, curved corridors, and now computer terminal)

July 2007 release:
Emperor's Throne room playset. Can connect an elevator set to it. By far the biggest set to date. Recreate scenes of Vader fighting Luke or the Emperor lightening Luke. This is a two-level set. Retails $40 Lots of detail here, like the computer terminals, steps, throne (rotates!), catwalk that can "break-off" as it did when Vader threw his lightsaber at Luke, bridge to elevator, etc.

(August-continue with minor areas as stated previously)

September 2007 release:
Shield Generator playset Retails for $15
Chasm playset Retails for $15
Both of these sets are not neccessarily playsets, but connect to corridor sets to make the illusion of the scenes. Hence the smaller price as not as much plastic is being used for the playsets. Also that's why there are two sets in this month instead of one.

(October-continue with minor areas as stated previously)

Novemeber 2007 release:
Gunner playset-includes turbo laser for gunners. Retails $20
Hangar Bay playset-this is the biggest playset in the line, just in time for Christmas. Big enough to hold the Falcon or Imperial Shuttle it stands 4 levels tall. Comes with reverseable floor to show either scene of the "Capture of the Falcon," or the "Emperor's Arrival." Retails for $60

So hit them with the Red control room which is a much desired set by many people. Then about halfway through give them the Emperor's throne room. THereby making these sets not just good for the first Death Star but reminding people that they can make scenes from the second one as well. Then at the end hit them with the grandaddy of of death star sets, the Imperial Hangar.

Here's a relative size chart:
1 level high (each level is 5 1/2 inches tall-it can easily accomodate Wookiees)
Sets this size include all but the Trash compactor, Elevator, Emperor's Throne room playset and Hangar playset

2 level high playsets include:
Trash Compactor
Emperor's throne room

4 level high include:
Elevator
Hangar Bay

Total cost if you only buy one of each set $264, though many people will want to buy more corridor sets to be sure.

Now granted the Vintage style would end up costing less, but that's all at once. Doing it this way as a staggered release allows for people to recouperate and have enough money each month to buy and build more onto their own sets.

Seeing as how these can be built UP rather than just out which would take more room, it makes it even easier for kids/collectors to buy it.

It would be reccommended to not build higher than 6 levels, but within that, you can accomodate every set, and have room for more corridors should you choose.

Width/Length of each playset vary.
Approximate sizes could be:
Large corridor: 12"long X 4" wide
Medium corridor: 8"long X 4" wide
Intersection: 4"X4"
Red control room: 12"X12"
Trash compactor: 12" long X 8" wide
Curved Corridor Large: 8"X8" (remember it's curved and has to account for the whole space, even if some is not actually used)
Curved Corridor Small: 4"X4"
Detention block: 8" wide X 12" long
Elevator: 4"x4" (but 4 levels tall as well)
Computer terminal: 8"long X 4" wide
Emperor's Throne room playset.
Shield Generator playset: 4" wide X 8" long
Chasm playset: 4" wide X 8" long (The bridge can be taken off to create the "chasm."
Gunner playset: 8"X8"
Hangar Bay playset: 30"X30"!!! (or bigger if neccessary to accomodate either the Falcon or Shuttle. But basically since it's a floor, three walls and the fourth wall as the entrance/exit to space, it's all basically FLAT, so it can easily be made and packaged small!

Now please someone tell me that wouldn't be appealling?

Yeah, so you have to wait a little to get the complete set. We've waited this long. At least were Hasbro to announce the schedule ahead of time, we could all get excited about the next release and have time to save up money for it.

Again with this being modular you can build however you want. You don't have to be movie accurate, you don't have to buy each set (though I'm certain many will want most of them). You the consumer have many choices.

Hasbro will be able to make money off of these sets and throughot the year. As opposed to maybe a calendar quarter with the vintage sets. Because no doubt people would want to wait for the behemoth set to go on sale.

With this Death Star set, other than the smaller sets being continually released, you'd have to buy them when you saw them. Otherwise you would risk not getting them on sale and have to resort to eBay for them.

Also, it should be noted that the modular sets when put together would (even one of each) would dwarf the vintage set.

Okay, was that thought out enough...

-Sal

stillakid
08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Okay, but it's still not a ball like the one in the movie. :D

jedi master sal
08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Okay, but it's still not a ball like the one in the movie. :D

Neither is the vintage one. A small curvature near the top doesn't count...

stillakid
08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Neither is the vintage one. A small curvature near the top doesn't count...

Right! So like I said, we take 4 vintage style pieces and cover them completely in a spherical shell. Nougat filling! :D Ergo, a Death Star Playset that actually looks like a Death Star instead of a block of apartments. :)

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-25-2006, 11:51 PM
lol, that would be good, a death star filled with nougat, yum!

jedi master sal
08-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Right! So like I said, we take 4 vintage style pieces and cover them completely in a spherical shell. Nougat filling! :D Ergo, a Death Star Playset that actually looks like a Death Star instead of a block of apartments. :)

Having this curved presents all kinds of problems. You can't sit it down on a table or the floor as it will roll away...

Your kid might want to play basketball with it.

You can't just have one big ball, you have to have two. Nothing like having one ball bigger than the other or no other at all....

Anyway, block of apartments be damned, the innards WILL look like the innards of the scense from the death star. Having the outside curve does nothing. You can't put action figures there as they'd fall off. (Besides there's no air in space so most of them would suffocate to death. Now do you want to be responsible for the death of poor helpless action figures?? Huh do ya??! heh heh.

-Sal

stillakid
08-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Having this curved presents all kinds of problems. You can't sit it down on a table or the floor as it will roll away...

You didn't really read the description, did you?

jedi master sal
08-28-2006, 02:07 PM
You didn't really read the description, did you?

Did you see my "heh heh" at the end of the post? I was being sarcastic...

But I still don't like the idea of a curved DS playset regardless...