PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Padme

Tycho
08-19-2006, 04:21 PM
First, who has any better pictures than the mono-color prototype sculpt that's been shown in the headline news? You can't tell anything from that picture so far - except I don't think it will turn out looking like Natalie Portman.

SideShow has said that they intend to make the figure (though it's EU) realistically styled. I assume that by doing so, they'll reuse Padme's head on future figures of her - thus they might be going with real rooted hair for Padme unlike what they did for Leia Boussh (sculpted plastic hair). Real hair can sometimes work for figures (FAO Slave Leia, IMO) and sometimes not (KB Toys Leia Boussh). Then you come into varrying degrees of quality control with it such as with Senator Leia Organa (ANH).

I'd actually prefer real hair only if they are going to quality-control production on Padme like has never been seen before. I don't remember at the moment whether Qui-Gon had rooted hair or sculpted. I'm thinking the latter though. If Padme figures from SS will have sculpted hair, they can still apply each sculpted hair piece to the same basic face they create for her.

Well anyway, the prototype head I see in blue, doesn't look like Natalie and it really doesn't look like Gennedy Tartovsky's cartoon character (which it's not supposed to).

My feelings about SideShow doing EU are this:

1) make new characters like Quinlan Vos and Mara Jade, Jacen and Jaina Solo, etc. - not movie characters that could have movie sculpts done of them. A SS Yuuzhan Vong could be incredible!!!

2) EU will never sell as well as movie-line figures, so they could be wasting their time, especially with one that didn't appear in the EU as they are producing her.

3) If a regular line Padme existed, not many would even consider buying this.

4) If this outfit is convertible to Padme's non-ripped Arena outfit (minus the snow coat and perhaps with an additional head (?) ) then it will be much more attractive.

As it stands so far, I have no plans to buy this figure, while I would buy other EU choices like Kir Kanos from SS.

Who plans to get Padme?
Who plans to pass on Padme?
Why?

2-1B
08-19-2006, 06:18 PM
I'll pass...but I did vote for her.

Tycho
08-19-2006, 06:27 PM
I'll pass...but I did vote for her.

Why will you pass on her when you voted for her? Why did you vote for her anyway?

Jayspawn
08-19-2006, 07:03 PM
I still have yet to see a picture. I'll be the Natalie Portman judge!

Kidhuman
08-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Why will you pass on her when you voted for her? Why did you vote for her anyway?

I voted for her too, but am not going to buy it. Reason i voted for her was because I didnt like the other choices(EU). I dont do the SS line, a bit out of the price range for me. I would rather spend 50 bucks on a playset than a figure.

El Chuxter
08-19-2006, 07:45 PM
So folks like you are why Mara Jade won't be first.

Kidhuman
08-19-2006, 08:19 PM
So folks like you are why Mara Jade won't be first.

Ummm, yeah.

2-1B
08-20-2006, 12:04 AM

What KH said. :D

I guess I could add that I told JimJam to vote for Padme, which he did, and he CERTAINLY will not be buying her, either. :crazed:

Bosskman
08-20-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't know if I'll get her or not. Right now I'm leaning towards not. I won't decide untill I see the final figure though. I'm generally not that big of an EU fan, but for some reason the "realistic" clone wars stuff has been on my list of stuff to get. I find that Hasbro CW stuff to be in that grey area of the EU where I like to wet my collecting feet. I got the Gunship from Hypori and the clones that go with it. I got Foul Moudama. I don't think I'll get Mace's starfighter, but I still might. I plan on getting the Battle pack with Illum Padme. As far as the Sideshow figure of Illum Padme goes, I'm sure it will look awesome, but I'm not sure I wanna go there with the Sideshow stuff. Padme might be a gateway to other EU figures that could hurt my wallet. I would definately rather they stick to just movie figures but they clearly are not going to do that.

I'm sorry if my answer is not definitive but I'm dazed and confused on this subject. I definately want to see the pictures of this figure though. I think it will look pretty good.

Bosskman
08-20-2006, 06:20 AM
As far as what I like to call the rubbish EU (Ithe EU I personally don't like) I will definately NOT get those figures if they make them. I will not be tempted to get rubbish like Mara Jade or a Yuzang Vong (or whatever those stupid alens are called) But then again it will be a non isuue for me. If they do make these figures, all the power to them. Some people like them and will get them, and for me it will be a relief of sorts to NOT get them (well, for my wallet anyways)

Jayspawn
08-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Ok, I finally saw the Proto.

Looks alright. The likeness is off -and its the lips. Natalie Portman has thin lips. The proto is sporting nice Angelina Jolie lips that thats whats throwing it off.

Turbowars
08-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Portman does not have thin lips. They are full and the sculpt looks just like her.

El Chuxter
08-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Plus, the animated version had more full lips than the real Ms Portman.

Tycho
08-21-2006, 02:34 AM
They're not making it look like the animated version, else she'd have giant "Bambi eyes."

JimJamBonds
08-21-2006, 10:53 PM
I guess I could add that I told JimJam to vote for Padme, which he did, and he CERTAINLY will not be buying her, either. :crazed:

Its all true.

Hellboy
08-21-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm sure the finished product will look even better but I think the likeness looks good so far.

I didn't vote for Padme, she was actually the figure I wanted the least, but I'll buy one if this turns out nicely.

Darth Cruel
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I wonder how some people can say that an unpainted and wrongly-sculpted action figure head looks like Natalie Portman. Natalie Portman's lips are NOT that thick (although they are not thin, but I too feel they look more like Angelina Jolie's), her nostrils are not symetrical (one is very much larger than the other), her ears stick out more than this sculpt, and her head (in real life) is wider and flatter at the top. I found a great comparison shot of her with her head shaved for the movie "V for Vendetta" that was perfect for a side-by-side comparison.

Now there are some very well done details as well. The eyebrows, cheekbones, jawline, and chin are as close as they can get (still not perfect, but 99% of the way there).

Overall...I think the sculpt for the figure's portrait looks better than Natalie Portman. But it only looks like her in the same way another member of the family would have a "family resemblance".

Tycho
08-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Artists often paint a complimentary picture of their subject. Admirers often see the symbolic representation of a hero, rather than the true person with all their flaws. For example, Natalie Portman's eyebrows are uneven and especially when she was younger, she did a bad job of plucking them.

Everyone criticizes the 1995 Hasbro Princess Leia figure (dubbed "Monkey Leia" amongst other names). They say the figure looks "manly."

Men and women are not that biologically different. Chromosomes determine which sex organs an embroyo starts developing and how the maturing body responds during puberty. Men grow facial hair, women do not. Women shave their legs, the majority of men do not. Women wear makeup, the majority of men do not (in other words, women do not naturally have redder lips than men). The development of breasts would be quite obvious.

Over time, some features have been regarded as more masculine or more femanine. Fuller, redder lips have been regarded as more femanine - perhaps because they are suggestive of a vulva.

Princess Leia was more mindful of getting plans to the Death Star back to Alderaan so her father could make use of them, than she was with wearing lipstick in case she met Darth Vader along the way. Her 1995 figure was sculpted from her determined look she weilded when she chose she'd kill or die for that cause and she shot that Stormtrooper almost as soon as her character was introduced. The figure is actually pretty darn good if you ask me.

SS Padme is going to be much larger and as such, she can offer much more detail in her design. I think the figure would take a lot of criticism or possibly show poorer sales if she came with life-accurate crooked eyebrows, and her cheek mole is a debatable inclusion (it's actually kind of cute). Padme's head (rather Ms. Portman's head) has been compared to a potato in its shape. Again, I don't know if taking the sculpt too far into realism would disillusion some, or infringe on Hasbro's Star Wars Potato Head licensing rights ;)

This figure is really a quagmire for SideShow as it stands:

1) It's EU

2) Since it is EU, they decided to do a main character from the movies they hadn't ever done before, just in case they needed that boost to generate sales - I'm not sure I buy "the fans all voted for this" story.

3) In the event the fans actually did vote Arctic Padme over Mara Jade and Quinlan Vos, it might be because more people knew who Padme was since she was in the movies and we have no SS figure of her as of yet.

4) Anime fans might have also voted up Padme, on the expectation that her figure would be cartoon style, when it will most definitely not be. And if there would have been an anime-style figure, why would not have Assaj Ventress won this round?

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 07:52 PM
So folks like you are why Mara Jade won't be first.Yeah, I had the same feeling too, with a big fat ":mad:" in it.

First, who has any better pictures than the mono-color prototype sculpt that's been shown in the headline news? You can't tell anything from that picture so far - except I don't think it will turn out looking like Natalie Portman.It's accurate to the prototype's color, that's how it is, you won't find any other colors than that.

It looks like her to me, I dunno how you think it will turn out not looking like her, eyes and nose and head and ears are the same (a friend pointed out that the ears should stick out more though). The eyes are a tiny bit low, but still they look like her eyes.

SideShow has said that they intend to make the figure (though it's EU) realistically styled. I assume that by doing so, they'll reuse Padme's head on future figures of her - thus they might be going with real rooted hair for Padme unlike what they did for Leia Boussh (sculpted plastic hair). Real hair can sometimes work for figures (FAO Slave Leia, IMO) and sometimes not (KB Toys Leia Boussh). Then you come into varrying degrees of quality control with it such as with Senator Leia Organa (ANH).Rooted hair always sucks IMO, just to varied degrees, and I strongly suspect Sideshow will use a plastic sculpted "wig" the way they did with Anakin.

I voted for her too, but am not going to buy it. Reason i voted for her was because I didnt like the other choices(EU). I dont do the SS line, a bit out of the price range for me. I would rather spend 50 bucks on a playset than a figure.

What KH said. :D

I guess I could add that I told JimJam to vote for Padme, which he did, and he CERTAINLY will not be buying her, either. :crazed:Then why the hell did you vote on this?!? This is why I think Sideshow screwed up by having her there, it completely skews the vote and makes it look like a fix even if it isn't. KH's comment especially bothers me because he voted when he had no intention of buying the Sideshow line.

Looks alright. The likeness is off -and its the lips. Natalie Portman has thin lips. The proto is sporting nice Angelina Jolie lips that thats whats throwing it off.I was pointed to this photo: http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0434409/C4.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Portman,%20Natalie&seq=9
As you can see, she has full lips and the makeup adds even more.

I think it's too bad this EU poll was ruined creating a POS entry like this, Padme Ilum is just a bad idea for a $60 figure and it's going to hurt sales of AOTC Padme as well as make the line look bad in general.

Kidhuman
08-22-2006, 08:13 PM
I had some intention, just wanted ot see pricepoints first. No matter how much I try to justify 50 bucks for a figure, I cant do it. If the prices were lower, I'd be in there.

Hellboy
08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
I think it's too bad this EU poll was ruined creating a POS entry like this, Padme Ilum is just a bad idea for a $60 figure and it's going to hurt sales of AOTC Padme as well as make the line look bad in general.

I agree that the poll seemed to be ruined by this entry but my gripe wasn't with the character choice so much as it was with the sudden surge in her popularity. The speed in which she came from dead last to pulling a victory was more than just a little bit suspect. :confused:

I do however think Padme's Arctic outfit seems to be one of her more popular looks and I'd be surprised if she didn't sell well. I doubt this release will have an Exclusive version and that could mean a lower than average production run. Maybe I'm being overly optomistic but I think this figure could even increase our chances at getting future versions of Padme.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Oh yeah, definitely that big kick halfway through that just kept going up and up and up, that was ridiculous, completely defied voting patterns which are based on human behavior models.

2-1B
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM
What KH said about pricepoints. And hey, if they don't want unsolicited votes, they shouldn't solicit them. lol

Turbowars
08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
I wonder how some people can say that an unpainted and wrongly-sculpted action figure head looks like Natalie Portman. Natalie Portman's lips are NOT that thick (although they are not thin, but I too feel they look more like Angelina Jolie's), her nostrils are not symetrical (one is very much larger than the other), her ears stick out more than this sculpt, and her head (in real life) is wider and flatter at the top. I found a great comparison shot of her with her head shaved for the movie "V for Vendetta" that was perfect for a side-by-side comparison.

Now there are some very well done details as well. The eyebrows, cheekbones, jawline, and chin are as close as they can get (still not perfect, but 99% of the way there).

Overall...I think the sculpt for the figure's portrait looks better than Natalie Portman. But it only looks like her in the same way another member of the family would have a "family resemblance".Did you not see the pics I posted? Those lips look right to me.

Reefer Shark
08-23-2006, 07:14 PM
I think the head-sculpt looks pretty good, and I'll probably buy her. I didn't vote for her though, voted for Kir Kanos. He would've made a much cooler toy than snow bunny Padme.

I really don't understand the logic behind voting for her out of spite for the other EU characters when you're not planning on buying the figures. Seems like a pretty childish thing to do.

If you hate EU, why would you even bother wasting your time by voting in an EU poll? :confused:

Kidhuman
08-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Clone Wars cartoons to me are more canon then any of that other comic book and video game EU.

IG65
08-24-2006, 12:16 PM
At first I thought the prototype was pretty accurate, but the more I look at it the less I like it. I did not vote for Padme but I will still get one; I am an avid 12" collector and the SS line is sooooo much better than Hasbro's.

Tycho
08-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Good picture comparison IG65!
It demonstrates the eyebrows are wrong, the ears are wrong, the nose is wrong, the lips are wrong, the forehead is wrong - probably more things too.

SideShow did a great job of getting Padme's species correct though. She will look human when painted...

JediTricks
08-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Good picture comparison IG65!
It demonstrates the eyebrows are wrong, the ears are wrong, the nose is wrong, the lips are wrong, the forehead is wrong - probably more things too.What it demonstrated is that the prototype facing slightly downward doesn't make a good comparison to the V for Vendetta picture where she's looking straight ahead. Also, with the lips, compare it to an AOTC picture where she's wearing makeup, not a V picture where they downplay the makeup.

IG65
08-24-2006, 07:17 PM
The prototype has no paint, so a makeup comparison would be erroneous. Also, the slight forward tilt of the head on the prototype does not change the ears, lips, or nose, although it does affect the general outline of the head and the forehead. IMO the understated shot from V makes the perfect comparison for an unpainted prototype.

I think the prototype definitely captures the 'feeling' of the character, but the more I look at it I don't think it is a great sculpt of the actor. That being said, if they do a good job with the paint they can compensate for sculpt deficiencies. We've seen that with custom paints of some of the Hasbro monstrosities.

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 01:19 AM
The prototype has no paint, so a makeup comparison would be erroneous. No, but makeup on an actress can change the perception of fullness of her lips (in some cases actually changing the fullness of her lips) while paint on plastic really cannot replicate this.

Also, the slight forward tilt of the head on the prototype does not change the ears, lips, or nose, although it does affect the general outline of the head and the forehead. IMO the understated shot from V makes the perfect comparison for an unpainted prototype. But the tilt can change the relationship distances from element to element, like the eyes to the ears, the face to the forehead, the nose to the lips.

Aliencowthatmoos
08-25-2006, 01:16 PM

And don't forget, if Padme tanks we'll probably never see any real EU characters.

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
And don't forget, if Padme tanks we'll probably never see any real EU characters.
Yeah, that was one of my arguments the first time around, my only hope is that Sideshow is close enough to the fan base to recognize the unusual circumstances here.

Tycho
08-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I have no plans to order her. I wouldn't order her if she were convertible to Geonosis Arena Padme either (ought to be to help her sell - and easily accomplised too with perhaps a head swap and the snowcoat removed.)

I do want Padme figures though:

Black Leather - AOTC
Yellow Waterfalls - AOTC
Senator Amidala - AOTC
Tatooine Traveler - AOTC
Mustafar - ROTS

And not all of these mind you - but 1 or 2 from AOTC and the 1 from ROTS would be nice.

Darth Cruel
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM

There are four simple truths to life. They are:

1) We will all die sometime.

2) We will all pay taxes until we die.

3) If this Padme figure "tanks"...it will not spoil EU for Sideshow figures (Sideshow has already proved themselves to be too smart to base a judgement on one figure).

4) Like every other Star Wars figure that Sideshow has done...Ilum Padme will not "tank" (especially with people like me around who will buy this figure because we are completists even though we may HATE it...and believe me I do hate this version of the character).

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I have no plans to order her. I wouldn't order her if she were convertible to Geonosis Arena Padme either (ought to be to help her sell - and easily accomplised too with perhaps a head swap and the snowcoat removed.)That monster you call Hasbro 12" AOTC Padme should not be acceptable in your 12" collection.

I don't see why Ilum Padme would need a head-swap, she's wearing a hood, that's a cloth element not a helmet, should have the same head and not even need a swap. The "snowcoat" is just the AOTC outfit with a hood and fur-lined gloves, isn't it? (another reason it was total BS to include this turkey in the EU poll.)

There are four simple truths to life. They are:

3) If this Padme figure "tanks"...it will not spoil EU for Sideshow figures (Sideshow has already proved themselves to be too smart to base a judgement on one figure).You hope. If they're so smart, they wouldn't have included this as an EU entry in the first place.

4) Like every other Star Wars figure that Sideshow has done...Ilum Padme will not "tank" (especially with people like me around who will buy this figure because we are completists even though we may HATE it...and believe me I do hate this version of the character).Tell that to Bib Fortuna and Qui-Gon Jinn, both of whom took a long time to sell through.

Darth Cruel
08-25-2006, 03:17 PM
You hope. If they're so smart, they wouldn't have included this as an EU entry in the first place.

But she DID win...so it seams that she was as good a choice as any of the others to add to the poll.

Tell that to Bib Fortuna and Qui-Gon Jinn, both of whom took a long time to sell through.

But Qui-Gon DID sell through.

And Bib will as well. And that will be proof right there that Padme will sell through. As lousy a choice as Padme is...Bib was at least as bad.

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 03:24 PM
But she DID win...so it seams that she was as good a choice as any of the others to add to the poll.Not really, it appears that she won either due to outright shenanigans, or the fact that a lot of the voters were either voting for her because they didn't like EU or they were especially interested in Natalie Portman, the figure was heavily trailing until halfway through the poll when all of a sudden its votes skyrocketed for no apparent reason.

But Qui-Gon DID sell through.

And Bib will as well. And that will be proof right there that Padme will sell through. As lousy a choice as Padme is...Bib was at least as bad.Those guys are in the movie and barely sold through, Ilum Padme is from a cartoon, and she's only in that for a couple minutes at that, and the figure isn't done in the cartoon's style.

Darth Cruel
08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Not really, it appears that she won either due to outright shenanigans, or the fact that a lot of the voters were either voting for her because they didn't like EU or they were especially interested in Natalie Portman, the figure was heavily trailing until halfway through the poll when all of a sudden its votes skyrocketed for no apparent reason.

Those guys are in the movie and barely sold through, Ilum Padme is from a cartoon, and she's only in that for a couple minutes at that, and the figure isn't done in the cartoon's style.

I am rarely wrong. You are dealing with the guy who picked Superbowl winners before the regular football season started 3 out of 3 times.

There is an old saying that goes: "I was wrong once. It was a time that I thought I was wrong about something but it turned out that I was right the whole time".

There is another saying that goes "(cough)toljaso(cough)". But I'll save that one for after Padme sells through.

Tycho
08-25-2006, 07:34 PM
That monster you call Hasbro 12" AOTC Padme should not be acceptable in your 12" collection.

Ordinarily I agree, but I am a victim of Hasbro. As such, that Padme will stand testimony for me.

I don't see why Ilum Padme would need a head-swap, she's wearing a hood, that's a cloth element not a helmet, should have the same head and not even need a swap.

When she takes the coat off and tells C-3PO to go fetch it for her so she can zero in on the cloaked droids' firing positions, she is wearing a very tight-fitting skull cap of sorts that leaves no room for her AOTC hairstyle of tangled braids in the back. To be accurate to the cartoon (is that an oxymoron?) she'd need a headswap in order to fit that tangle of wire worms (as it looked like on Hasbro's craptacular figure) - as it just wouldn't fit right under the skull cap. We never saw how she had her hair while she wore the Illum outfit, but it was a cartoon anyway. I put way too much thought into that...

The "snowcoat" is just the AOTC outfit with a hood and fur-lined gloves, isn't it? (another reason it was total BS to include this turkey in the EU poll.)

Which might be why they wanted to make it in the first place - cheaper for them. A few ways to market it.

Tell that to Bib Fortuna and Qui-Gon Jinn, both of whom took a long time to sell through.

I wonder if that is because they are less important to the movie saga or because many people had a ton of Star Wars items from SS pre-ordered and they feared this pile-up of charges as like exactly what is happening now - or both.

The OT is at its core about Han, Luke, and Leia. I only saw Bib Fortuna in one movie there.

The PT is about Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan. Mace is just considered cool because of Sam Jackson - but he was in 3 movies. I only saw Qui-Gon in one movie as well. That's less than Kit Fisto.

Reefer Shark
08-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Clone Wars cartoons to me are more canon then any of that other comic book and video game EU.

Well, I would have to agree with that. From a strictly canon standpoint, the cartoons and upcoming live action show would probably be considered more official than the books and games.

But does that mean that the old Droids/Ewoks cartoons fall in that category as well (I won't even mention the Holiday Special)? I would want to say no since those were an abomination.

Tycho
08-27-2006, 05:19 PM
We each choose for ourselves what we acknowledge as cannon. I like the comics and books myself, but I'm just not a video game player. That doesn't mean the game stuff doesn't belong to the EU - I just need someone who plays them to explain some stories to me (like KOTOR's video game).

maatu
08-27-2006, 05:50 PM
the head sculpt is really good, the picture is bad. you have her at a kind of angle. so your not viewing the sculpt and her at the same view correctly.

Reefer Shark
08-27-2006, 06:06 PM
We each choose for ourselves what we acknowledge as cannon. I like the comics and books myself, but I'm just not a video game player. That doesn't mean the game stuff doesn't belong to the EU - I just need someone who plays them to explain some stories to me (like KOTOR's video game).

I follow the comics, but I wouldn't consider them canon. Some stories make sense, and are really well done while others are lacking in substance. I tend to think of them in the same way I did when I made up my own stories with the figures as a kid.

The games on the other had, are a mixed bag for me. I play some of 'em, but it's only because I enjoy video games. I usually don't even pay attention to the stories, and skip through the cut scenes most of the time. I just want the action.

On the Padme figures likeness, I think it's decent. It's on par with the rest of Sideshow's 1/6 stuff: Not perfect, but still very nice looking. I'm wondering if they'll sculpt the skull cap, or if it will be part of the outfit?

JediTricks
08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Ordinarily I agree, but I am a victim of Hasbro. As such, that Padme will stand testimony for me.Are you sure you actually have them? Maybe they got burned when your stuff got put into storage, the fig does look evil after all.

When she takes the coat off and tells C-3PO to go fetch it for her so she can zero in on the cloaked droids' firing positions, she is wearing a very tight-fitting skull cap of sorts that leaves no room for her AOTC hairstyle of tangled braids in the back. To be accurate to the cartoon (is that an oxymoron?) she'd need a headswap in order to fit that tangle of wire worms (as it looked like on Hasbro's craptacular figure) - as it just wouldn't fit right under the skull cap. We never saw how she had her hair while she wore the Illum outfit, but it was a cartoon anyway. I put way too much thought into that...
You could have just said "she's wearing a bodysuit that covers her head". :p This would explain why the figure's ears are not sticking out as much as they should, they wouldn't be under that sort of thing.

Which might be why they wanted to make it in the first place - cheaper for them. A few ways to market it."Hello, this is the shenanigans claim, if you've reached this message that means I'm already in the field ruining another Star Wars fan choice poll. If you have a poll you'd like to manipulate your audience with, at the tone please leave your name, the company you're with, and how and when you'd like to pull the wool over your customers eyes."

Well, I would have to agree with that. From a strictly canon standpoint, the cartoons and upcoming live action show would probably be considered more official than the books and games.Lucas says nothing but the 6 Saga movies so far are canon, though that may change with the live action TV show should it ever really come to pass.

But does that mean that the old Droids/Ewoks cartoons fall in that category as well (I won't even mention the Holiday Special)? I would want to say no since those were an abomination.Splitting hairs. "I accept episodes 1-15 of the Clone Wars cartoon, as well as 6 random episodes of Samurai Jack and any episode of Dexter's Lab that doesn't focus on Dee-Dee as a main character, but the second half of CW season 2 and all of season 3 are non-canon." ;)

Reefer Shark
08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Splitting hairs. "I accept episodes 1-15 of the Clone Wars cartoon, as well as 6 random episodes of Samurai Jack and any episode of Dexter's Lab that doesn't focus on Dee-Dee as a main character, but the second half of CW season 2 and all of season 3 are non-canon." ;)

That's pretty much the point I was trying to make. We want to have our cake, and eat it too. In my mind though, the CW cartoon falls in line with the movies much better than the 80's toons did.

maatu
09-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I will probably order padme because she is part of the set. to bad she is not wearing her rots outfit,to go along with obi won and anakin.I would not get my hopes up on seeing double figures. sideshow probably will not make different figures in different outfits. I am hoping there won't be a dozen clone troopers made in 12 inch form like the 3 3/4 figure line does. make key characters and villains and supprise us.don't just bore us.

Darth Cruel
09-10-2006, 05:55 AM
I am hoping there won't be a dozen clone troopers made in 12 inch form like the 3 3/4 figure line does.

I, for one, would LOVE to see a whole smorgasbord of Sideshow 12" Clone Troopers. And I wouldn't care if it caused the rest of the line to be put on hold for years. And I would get as many of them as I could get my grubby little hands on!

maatu
09-10-2006, 10:07 AM
i like that response.But how long does sideshow have this license for one is a major question.there are alot of fans who want important characters,getting a blue clone that also is a red clone is a waste. unless they do commander cody because we know his face. i think honestly were going to get yoda very soon.i also want jango fett.....

Darth Cruel
09-10-2006, 11:33 AM
i like that response.But how long does sideshow have this license for one is a major question.there are alot of fans who want important characters,getting a blue clone that also is a red clone is a waste. unless they do commander cody because we know his face. i think honestly were going to get yoda very soon.i also want jango fett.....

Yeah...unfortunately I realize that popular public opinion, Sideshow's desire to make money, and simple common sense all converge to dictate that my own dream is nonsensical. What I find to be interesting is that even at the current snail's pace...I think we are still getting as many 12"ers from Sideshow per annum as we did from Hasbro.

Tycho
09-10-2006, 12:17 PM
What snail pace? With Hasbro, at "best" we got

1. Tusken Raider - Feb-March 97
2. Lando Calrissian
3. Bespin Luke Skywalker
---------
4. Leia - July/Aug 97
5. Boba Fett
6. Luke X-wing
7. Stormtrooper
-------
8/9. Han Solo & Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguises - July/Aug 97
------
10. C-3PO Sept - Oct 97
11.. Chewbacca
12. Admiral Ackbar
13. TIE Pilot
-----
14. Exclusive Sandtrooper Sept - Oct 97
-----
15 - 20 Cantina Band Members - Sept - Oct 97

-----
21/22 - Exclusive Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi Electronics Sept - Oct 97
-----
23/24 - Tarkin and Death Star Gunner -Sept - Oct 97
-----
25/26 - Hoth Han Solo / TaunTaun Sept - Oct 97
-----
27-28 - Hoth Luke Skywalker / Wampa - Sept - Oct 97
-----
29/30 - Luke Jedi / Bib Fortuna Nov 97-Jan 98
----
31. - Tarkin (single boxed) Nov 97- Jan 98
32. - Luke Ceremony
33. - Sandtrooper
34. - Greedo
----
35. Yoda - Nov 97-Jan 98
36. R2D2
37. Jawa
------

That's $796 in one year, not counting 2 Tuskens (because of the blaster variation) and taking into account FAO Schwarz's prices.

I used Tagmac's 12" Voting list to generate the release dates.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Contrast that with SideShow (by release, not order placement):

1. Luke
2. Anakin
3. Kit Fisto
4. Han Bespin
5. Obi-Wan
6. Qui-Gon
7. Mace

Which is $462 if you average $66 per figure, shipped with sales tax. But the year's not over yet.

We might get Darth Maul, Leia Boussh, and Bib Fortuna this year, plus Plo Koon, maybe Jabba the Hutt. And I didn't count "Sith Eyes Anakin" as Darth Vader. Which could make the count 12 or 13 figures, and the price $1132 for SideShow if you bought everything (to say nothing of counting SSEs from SS figures separately).

Ironically, without Jabba (who might not ship in 2006), the cost is $732 unless Arctic Padme ships this year making the grand total (without Jabba) $798. Again, these are estimates for SideShow based on $66 per figure.

Also, I went with typically $20 per figure with Hasbro and no sales tax.

So the figure quantity is obviously less with SideShow - but the pricing makes 2006 and 1997 roughly equivalent years for completists of 12" Star Wars.

At SideShow prices, this would be $2442 for 37 figures in one year should their production quantities run comparable to Hasbro and the pricing remain consistant at around $66 per figure.

While I could keep up with that if there were really 37 12 inchers I really wanted, we buy Master Replicas, Gentle Giant, possibly Legos, and a pile of Hasbro items in addition to what we might get from SideShow.

I think the pace SideShow is coming out with items is about all the market will bear. (I used $400 as the price for Jabba the Hutt with his entire environment and creatures). Mouse Droid.

mm74md
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
QTVR Of Snowbunny Padme - Looks more like Angelina Jolie

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/mov_qtvr/2140-QTVR.mov?affiliate=CD1384

mm74md
07-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Here is a pic if you don't have Quicktime installed

Bosskman
07-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm gonna pass on this one. Only movie figures for me in this line.

Blue2th
07-25-2007, 06:23 PM
QTVR Of Snowbunny Padme - Looks more like Angelina Jolie

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/mov_qtvr/2140-QTVR.mov?affiliate=CD1384

Sideshow did just get the Tomb Raider license.

Wonder if all those people who voted for her as the most wanted EU character will buy her. I voted for Admiral Thrawn.

I might buy this figure though.

Jayspawn
07-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I voted for Snowbunny Padme and I'm gonna get her!

I wonder how her hair looks under the cap? Cute, I bet the finished product wont look as glazed over.

Blue2th
07-27-2007, 09:45 AM
It took me by suprise, but she's up for order right now! http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&query=^basic_search.sql&q1=padme

Blue2th
07-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Well tried to get the link, but can only get it from another site. Maybe SSG can do it. Here's the link anyways if you can't wait http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=2140

bigbarada
07-28-2007, 10:59 AM
What it demonstrated is that the prototype facing slightly downward doesn't make a good comparison to the V for Vendetta picture where she's looking straight ahead. Also, with the lips, compare it to an AOTC picture where she's wearing makeup, not a V picture where they downplay the makeup.

You also have to take into account the focal length of the camera when taking each individual picture. It's a very different thing to photograph a life sized human head, then to photograph a 1 inch clay sculpt of a human head. So you are most likely seeing some lens distortion in the photograph of the 12" scale head.

But I wouldn't put it past Sideshow trying to "idealize" her features a bit.

JediTricks
08-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Well, in macro if you're getting that much variance from your focal depth changing, I think you're too close or focusing too tightly on the center of the features.

Anyway, I saw the proto in person at SDCC, didn't work for me at all. The pleather looks alright shapes a little strangely in some places. But the real problem was the face, it's a harsh sculpt and then the wash only brings that further out - especially around the oversized mouth. It's somewhat recognizable, but ultimately that's not always enough.

JediTricks
08-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Forgot to mention, there's no exclusive on this figure because the figure IS exclusive! I was writing up my review of the panel and booth
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p2_articleid=1018
and came across my notes about Padme, apparently she's not going to be found in the US in stores, you can only get her through the SSC website. So weird! I didn't think to ask why until right now, handy huh? ;)

bigbarada
08-04-2007, 08:26 AM
The more I look at it, the more I realize they did try to "glam" her up quite a bit. Similar to how GG fudged the proportions on the Slave Leia statue.

I think this costume looked cool on the simplified cartoon character, but trying to portray it in a realistic manner just makes it look completely goofy.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 10:51 PM
They embellished this costume too far out of the norm. I'll give them props for not just recycling the cloth look of the AOTC outfit, but honestly that's all the cartoon really was.

jedibear
10-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Having viewed those new shots of her up at Sideshow (see the link up on the front page of SirSteve's for a look), it looks like some changes were made. Gone is the camel-toe-inducing vinyl outfit which looked really bad....now it's cloth, but alas a little too form fitting. It reveals too much of the articulated joints of the base figure and just looks as bad.

The sculpt is lovely, but it's done in a bit by that same "dead eye" stare that plagues the Jedi Luke figure. It's probably way too far in the game, but it would have been cool if Sideshow had taken the same approach to this figure that they did with the superb Assaj Ventress and had an alternate portrait that was done in the "animated/cartoon" style. Now that would have lent itself very well to the rather "un-Star Wars" look of the outfit much more than frozen-expression "real" one that's featured here.

One tiny change that would help the outfit...lose the black strings with the pompoms...make it white to better blend with the rest of the outfit. And I hope that the cape features wire around the edge and on the hood.

While this most definitely is NOT the version of Padme I would have selected to be Sideshow's first effort of her, I'm still interested in seeing how the final product turns out...

JediTricks
10-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I am utterly shocked they threw out the vinyl after SO much work was put into it. I'd say that unique aspect was the ONLY reason to get this figure at all, and now it's gone so she's just Geonosis Padme with blue fur trim and dingoballs. This new one looks very hastily put together and basic, underwhelming.

As for the head, the eyebrows are WAY too strong, and the face is wide. And it's still too hard, if you will.

Jayspawn
10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I like the new images. Cant wait to get mine. Opening this one for sure!

Blue2th
10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't know, I immediatly didn't like the vinyl suit when I first saw it. Though I ordered her anyway, hoping for a change. I like the new cloth body suit better. Which is closer to what she would actually wear, even though it's like the Genosis suit.
The shiny vinyl just looked cheap to me.
The blue cloak looks odd. It seems that it should be white, especially the fur and the pompons. Maybe make the inside liner of her cloak blue, and the outside white with white fur.
I don't like the black pompom strings as well, but I can live with that.

I think Sideshow might be having a hard time translating the colors of animated Padme, and what is white, and the shadows of white in a snow scene, which would be in most cases blue in interpretation, not blue fur, which looks very unnatural.

I hope they re-think these colors.

Jayspawn
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Someone posted a few pics over at RS, doest look too bad. I'm actually looking forward to it!

Jayspawn
02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Woohoo! UPS dropped mine off right on time. And I still like it, its a neat figure! Not one of my favorites, but SS pulled off some good articulation on the body-type. The likeness is not half bad either.

Good figure, very happy that I got it!

Blue2th
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Sideshow just sent me the invoice. Can't wait to see this one.

I'll bet if the snow hasn't melted yet we might see some cool pics from someone we know here. ;)

decadentdave
02-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Somebody just posted this on the Sideshow Freaks board:

I know there was some douche on Sir Steve's guide that admitted to asking all his friends and family to vote for her and to making up several fake emails to push Panda Bear to the top. I believe there might've been one on Rebel Scum that did that too.
There was also the contingent of people who hate the EU and wanted her to win because she was the least EU type of character in the poll.

2-1B
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Awesome! It's nice to be recognized for my work. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Anybody who believes that is dumber than a post.

AmanaMatt
03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Special place in the seventh circle of hell for those that rigged the Padme poll....this is a figure that never needed to see the light of day

jonthejedi
03-03-2008, 04:02 AM
I know this...the more I looked at the prototype, the more I hated it. I just wanted a decent Natalie Portman sculpt & outfit(say for example the arena battle from Ep. II). This ain't it! Mine was cancelled.

jedibear
03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, I'll respectfully disagree here...

She just arrived up here today and...out on display, she's actually pretty nice. While this version is still not my first choice for a figure of Padme, I think that considering the design challenge of presenting this version of the character in within the style of their other figures, Sideshow pulled it off just fine.
I wish they could have solved the camel problem of the vinyl version of the outfit...that version hid the joints of the body a little better than this fabric one does, but this one still came out well.

I like this figure...it's something truly unique for the Sideshow collection and once in a while, I welcome that...

2-1B
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Awesome. Every collector should have one. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Like that pic Jedibear! :thumbsup:

I just got mine today. I pay extra for a box within a box, which now is within a box. That's three boxes, not counting the illustrated box she's in.
BUT! it doesn't do any good when someone at the factory or in California tries to get their grubby little fingers in the box and have a look see. So basically they put all that effort into protecting a damaged box in the first place! Aaargg! This ****es me off to no end!

I sent an e-mail requesting a new one. Let's hope they have some unlike my Sidious on Meccano-chair, which I never got a replacement for.

jedibear
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
thanks blue2th..

went back outside with her at sunset to snap another one...

She's actually a pretty cool looking figure....seeing her dressed in white like this though really makes me hope they do an "arena" version of her soon...

JediTricks
03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
First off, I have to agree that if this figure won because of ballot-stuffing (which I originally guessed back when this first came up), they should be publicly flogged.

Secondly, while I'm glad you're digging your figure JB, those pics betray this figure's harsh face. I mean, the figure's silly to begin with, arctic Padme? Really? But that face is just about the opposite way to go with the character, this is supposed to be inspired by the cartoon but the face is harsher than the real actress, with buggy, creepy eyes, overly bold eyebrows, hollow cheeks, and a strong (almost manly) mouth & chin. And to top off all the mismatching elements, they gave her the new female body with its HUGE rack, that bust is so ridiculous on Padme it's actually chuckle-inducing. Plus, I know the vinyl didn't work out, but did they have to go with such a last-minute, cheap-looking jumpsuit? It looks so plain.

Tycho
03-05-2008, 05:18 AM
You know, Quinlan Vos or Mara Jade would have won the EU poll if Padme didn't claim whatever victory she claimed.

I would have bought either of the other two options and would still love a Mara Jade 12" figure.

decadentdave
03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't understand the infatuation with Mara Jade. She's a ripoff of a much better character, Shira Bree. I'd buy that for a dollar.

jedibear
03-06-2008, 12:12 AM
First off, I have to agree that if this figure won because of ballot-stuffing (which I originally guessed back when this first came up), they should be publicly flogged.

Secondly, while I'm glad you're digging your figure JB, those pics betray this figure's harsh face. I mean, the figure's silly to begin with, arctic Padme? Really? But that face is just about the opposite way to go with the character, this is supposed to be inspired by the cartoon but the face is harsher than the real actress, with buggy, creepy eyes, overly bold eyebrows, hollow cheeks, and a strong (almost manly) mouth & chin. And to top off all the mismatching elements, they gave her the new female body with its HUGE rack, that bust is so ridiculous on Padme it's actually chuckle-inducing. Plus, I know the vinyl didn't work out, but did they have to go with such a last-minute, cheap-looking jumpsuit? It looks so plain.

Um, ouch....

:)

Tycho
03-06-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't understand the infatuation with Mara Jade. She's a ripoff of a much better character, Shira Bree. I'd buy that for a dollar.

I'm admittedly less familiar with Shira Bree. I believe she becomes Lumiya and she originated in the Marvel Star Wars comics. I was very young during that series run and never got into them that much. Plus, as far as I could tell, the story-telling was a lot less sophistocated and a more fantasy-approach was acceptable. Whereas now, I prefer the more socio-political approach grounded in realities.

jedibear
03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Both Lumiya and Mara Jade have been in the EU spotlight lately, appearing in significant roles in the current "Legacy of the Force" book series.
On a sidenote, while I'm delighted with the success of the comic packs for Hasbro...it has been a great way to have some characters see the light of day as figures that probably never would have otherwise...I'd love to see them do a series of figures utilizing the books as inspiration...however, I'm well aware of just how "niche" that line would be (not being kid-friendly as much as totally collector-centered) so...probably not gonna happen....

But we did get an unexpected, totally collector-oriented line with the McQuarrie concept figures last year, so...never say never, eh?

Back to the topic at hand...Padme....I know this figure is receiving a lot of negative reaction around the boards (and here from JT :) ), but again...considering the concept that inspired her...a 2-D comic character...and the limitations imposed by the current running format of how these figures/characters are presented by Sideshow. I think she's quite successful. I don't mind the occasional attempt at something different once in a while....but I do hope that the next figure of her that is presented is inspired by the films...

Tycho
03-06-2008, 12:55 PM
She looks good in your pictures, JediBear.

JediTricks
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
IMO, the pictures look good, but the subject looks really bad.