PDA

View Full Version : "Little Miss Sunshine"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anybody else seen this flick? I caught this weekend and its' definately one of the best movies of the year. Great performances, great soundtrack. I'll post my full review if anybody else has seen it. :crazed:

Tycho
08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I never heard of it. What's it about?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Here is the synopsis from Yahoo movies:

"The Hoover family treks from Albuquerque to the Little Miss Sunshine pageant in Redondo Beach, California, to fulfill the deepest wish of 7-year-old Olive, an ordinary little girl with big dreams. Along the way the family must deal with crushed dreams, heartbreaks, and a broken-down VW bus, leading up to the surreal Little Miss Sunshine competition itself. On their travels through this bizarre landscape, the Hoovers learn to trust and support each other along the path of life, no matter what the challenge. "

and here's a link to the trailer page from apple: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/littlemisssunshine/

Great movie!

Tycho
08-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Viva la Cuba was similar - only two kids, a little boy and a little girl, embark on a similar journey but all by themselves.

Sunshine sounds like it might be a good story - and I'd appreciate something different from my "magazine cartridge" full of war movies I've been shooting off about ;)

JimJamBonds
08-20-2006, 09:01 PM
I've heard good things about this movie but I have yet to see it. Now I really want to see it!

Kidhuman
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
I saw the previews and it looks funny. Will check it on DVD.

Rocketboy
08-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I'd love to see it, but so far, it's only playing in a theater about 40-45 minutes away.
I'm hoping it gets a wider release in the next few weeks.

figrin bran
08-21-2006, 12:02 AM
i've been wanting to see it but haven't had time. please post a review JMG and if it really piques my interest, i'll make the time to see it.

scruffziller
08-21-2006, 01:24 AM
This film looks great. I really look forward to seeing this. The great films are always the ones that seem like they are about nothing, but because it touches a deep human element. A major quality that the fluff job movies lack.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-21-2006, 08:12 AM
i've been wanting to see it but haven't had time. please post a review JMG and if it really piques my interest, i'll make the time to see it.

Done and done!

"Little Miss Sunshine"- Every few years or so, you see a movie that just kicks you in the teeth, slaps you in the face and elbows you in the stomach. It sends such a trascend race, gender, sexual orientation, and time and is relentless in what is wants to tell you. Does the flick deliver it verbally, right out for you to see? Heavens no, but it's there if you're looking. LMS is a film that does just that. It's dark, brutal, unforgiving, and hysterical. The flick starts off with a montage of who we are dealing with: Greg Kinnear is a man trying to see his 9 step self help program; Toni Collete is his wife, who is running to the hospital to check on her brother, Steve Carell who is recovering from an "accident." Next we have Grandpa, played by deliciously by Alan Arkin who is assisting in the training of young Olive, who is played FANTASTICALLY by Abigail Breslin (Bo from "Signs") and lastly, we have Dwayne, played by Paul dano, who has taken a vow of silence until he gets into the air force. It's a mismash of characters, each with their own issues they have to work through. One thing leads to another and soon we have the family driving young Abigail to the Little Miss Sunshine pageant, some 700 miles west of their home in Alberqerque. What makes the movie great to watch is simply the cast is outstanding. Each character shines and their performances are perfection. Carell was shocking to see as he gives the character of Frank such a fantastic depth and sense of pain and redemption. Dano is terrific as, with the vow of silence, he is rendered speechless and has to work with his mannerisms, facial expression and his loyal pad and paper. Words can't express how terrifc this cast performs. Each character knows their flaws and they realize not only do they have to act on their will, but they need each other as well.

The score needs mention too: first time film directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (who, loyal Pumpkinheads will remember: directed a slew of music videos for bands, including, what, like 10 for the Smashing Pumpkins?) got colorado based band Devotchka (whose song, "how it ends" is a personal fave) to do the soundtrack/score along with Mychael Danna ("Capote"). When the flick started off, you hear the first few keys to "How it Ends", but obviously, they change it around to contrast the film and the vocals aren't heard. But, how they incorporated the tender, almost melancholy (no Pumpkin joke intended here, kids!) and bring each one of these characters to light is just genius. In fact, that was one of my only gripes with the flick: they keep going back to that instrumental setup from "How it Ends" and it underlies a lot of the film. I just kept tapping my foot to the beat and losing myself in the strings and guitar. The film has several Devotchka songs worked into it, instrumentally of course, and along for is Sufjan Stevens, who does two tracks to the flick. Oddly enough, no tunes from Billy Corgan and Co, but no worries here.

My buddy Ron tried to get me to give him a brief blip of the flick. I said, "Think 'Royal Tenenbaums' on a road trip." He asked, "Better?" and after hesitation, i replied, "Yes, it is." That good. That amazing. Rating- **** out of **** and come to think of it, my only complaint: not enough snakes. :)

2-1B
09-03-2006, 02:42 PM
This movie was effing awesome, I went into it with very little knowledge of the plot (by choice) and all I expected was a great performance from Steve Carell. The film had that, and much much more. Alan Arkin was GREAT as was the entire cast.

Solid film, I highly recommend it. The pageant itself was a riot and the way the movie ended was really satisfying. I'd like to see it again.

Turbowars
09-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Great movie, a must see!

figrin bran
09-04-2006, 07:08 PM
what everyone said! :thumbsup:

JMG, i really liked that instrumental version of "how it ends" and so i guess i need to check out the version with vocals. i don't know anything about Devotchka but they sound a bit like Calexico whom i like quite a lot.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
FB- drop me an IM and i'll point you in the direction of the vocal version. I've loved that song for months before the flick, so when it opened up with the new instrumental version, I got really giggly. But yeah, IM me if you want. :)

2-1B
09-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Saw it a second time tonight, loved it even more. :)

JimJamBonds
09-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Good flick, it certainly has its curious moments but all in all a good time.

figrin bran
09-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Caesar, i'm definitely going to watch it again too!

JJB, by "curious" moments, do you mean "could've been written better", "not really essential to the bigger plot picture" or what?

JimJamBonds
09-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I think I used the wrong word there.... I thought it was a good movie, lots of strange parts which I don't think you'd see in a 'larger' type movie. But they worked, I know there were plenty of times I said something to Caesar about something funny I saw.

wampaslayr
09-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I saw the movie this past weekend. I went in not knowing what it was about and could not believe how much I loved this movie when it was over. I thought my family put the "fun" in dys"fun"ctional. :grin: The performances were great especially from Steve Carrel who I think deserves an Oscar nom for supporting actor. I definitely recommend it. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
sarcasm is for losers who want to bring winners down to their level ;)

JMG, i ordered the soundtrack from amazon but didn't listen to the clips so i was wondering if that spaghetti western sounding piece around the middle of the film was also a devotchka song with lyrics? that one also sounded very much like Calexico.

figrin bran
09-10-2006, 01:56 AM
the soundtrack arrived at my home today...for now i like "the winner is" (instrumental version) slightly better than "how it ends". either way, it's a great piece of music.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2006, 10:25 AM
the soundtrack arrived at my home today...for now i like "the winner is" (instrumental version) slightly better than "how it ends". either way, it's a great piece of music.

Yeah, both versions are fantastic. I love how they took good Devotchka tunes and played with them for the film. I LOVE "'Till the End of Time" which I think is that spaghetti western song you were mentioning, with the whistling in it? Also, the version of "You Love Me" they have is also fantastic. It's just a great all around soundtrack/score.

and i'm glad my encouragement has got some of you folks to see it. in fact, I personally take pride in knowing that it was probably ALL me who got the film up to #2 last weekend. Maybe Fox should write me a thank you note. :p lol

figrin bran
09-10-2006, 09:19 PM
actually JMG, i was thinking of "la llorana", particularly this one part where there's whistling and then some low register morricone sounding guitar.

after hearing more of devotchka, i still think they're like Calexico and the singer sounds like one of the vocalists of Broken Social Scene.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-02-2006, 11:50 AM
DVD details are up thanks to DVDactive.com. Due out December 19th!

Fox Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for Little Miss Sunshine which stars the likes of Greg Kinnear, Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Paul Dano, and Alan Arkin. The disc will be available to own from the 19th December, and should retail at around $29.98. The double-sided disc will carry both anamorphic widescreen and full screen presentations, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include an audio commentary with directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris and writer Michael Arndt, four alternate endings with optional commentary by directors Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, "Till the End of Time" performed by DeVotchka from the soundtrack, and trailers. The artwork is attached:

Fantastic. I was hoping for some behind the scenes stuff, but i'm assuming none was shot as nobody knew how big it'd be. I'm REALLY looking forward to the performance from Devotchka. We can only hope they easter egg some more live music. I've been listening to soundtrack a lot lately and i noticed that the LMS version of "how it Ends" is different from the regular one: some acoustics, backing vocals, etc. Fantastic version though. :thumbsup:

2-1B
11-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to see it again. :)

figrin bran
11-03-2006, 01:02 AM
awesome, every home should have a copy :)