PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Channel cancels Stargate SG1, keeps Atlantis

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 02:34 PM
What kind of horsecrap is this? Atlantis is ok, but the best thing about the show is the themesong. SG1 just got rolling on a whole new storyline and now it's kaput?!? They've only run the show 5 out of its 10 years, 5 years isn't really that long a run for sci-fi shows anymore when they're still a draw. Maybe it's Ben Browder and Claudia Black, who were on the also-beloved sci-fi series Farscape that Sci-Fi Channel pulled the plug on prematurely. All I know is I'd much rather watch SG1 than Atlantis.

Here's the news release on the cancellation:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=37607

Farscape, Sliders, SG1... all cancelled while still popular with either fans or new viewers for no good reason, screw you again Sci-Fi Channel!

maatu
08-22-2006, 02:42 PM
that sucks. maybe now they can pick up surface and invasion.the networks are stupid when it come to there decisions..

JEDIpartner
08-22-2006, 03:04 PM
I never watched either but, as an outsider, one could easily tell that the show had an amazing following! That really seems like a stupid decision!! Ooooh... need to tell my friend Jess.

LTBasker
08-22-2006, 06:51 PM
The low blow doesn't stop at cancelling despite tons of fans, but they just celebrated the 200th episode last Friday and episode 203 breaks the X-Files' record on longest running sci-fi show. I really hate the way they announced it too, first it goes around by word-of-mouth and then they finally release info.

The producers have mentioned that they're looking for ways to continue SG1 in other ways, no details so far though.

While I'm glad there will be at least Stargate Atlantis, I think this is truly ridiculous as they should have let the season finish before announcing the cancellation. While people aren't taking it too badly so far, if they try to treat it like Farscape where it wasn't able to finish the season nor have a series finale, there will surely be hell to pay.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
The producers of SG1 were considering a big follow-up movie, and then Dean "No, I didn't plagerize Stargate" Devlin put his foot down saying that since they couldn't make a Stargate movie sequel because of the show, the show can't make a movie.

Yeah, waiting until everybody was flying high about the 200th episode was a cheap shot, they should be ashamed.

LTBasker
08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
They didn't mention the movie idea, but they definitely are looking for ways.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/cooper_isg-1i_will_go_on.shtml

Ironically, Gateworld posted that the episode 200 gave SG1 a 36% ratings boost for this season.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
The way Sci-Fi does promos for it, you can never be sure when the season is going and when it's in reruns, with this 200th they made it clear it was a big deal. What really sucks is that even if the ratings tripled, SFC wouldn't salvage it because their budget is now allocated elsewhere.

Phantom-like Menace
08-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I've been watching SG-1 almost purely out of habit for the past two seasons. When Richard Dean Anderson left, he took with him the largest part of why I watch the show. Ben Browder has been okay, and Claudia Black has been a great addition. She brings things to the show that they've not really had before with her character's quirky, mercenary nature. She's possibly my favorite character now. As with Jack, most of my enjoyment in watching the show comes with waiting to see what crazy thing her character will say or do next.

I'll miss the show, certainly, but it's really been more of a case of them all coming back onto the stage for continuous encores for a while now.

Atlantis in its first season was better than SG-1 in its ninth. SG-1 has picked things up with the Ori invasion, and Atlantis has really kind of lagged this season. Also, I miss Lt. Ford.

I can't be too sad to see either go. SG-1 isn't as good as it once was and Atlantis is only as good as SG-1 has been lately.

Now if they can just get Battlestar Galactica to run without huge gaps in airings.

Blue2th
08-26-2006, 11:24 AM
The way Sci-Fi does promos for it, you can never be sure when the season is going and when it's in reruns, with this 200th they made it clear it was a big deal. What really sucks is that even if the ratings tripled, SFC wouldn't salvage it because their budget is now allocated elsewhere.
Like buying the Battlestar Galactica off-shoot Caprica sight unseen......I thought I saw a new episode of SG-1 last night. With scenes of a new episode next week. When is the last show? I have been watching SG-1 a year now and started liking it more and more. It's been filling the wide gap between BSG seasons for me.

JediTricks
08-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Like buying the Battlestar Galactica off-shoot Caprica sight unseen......I thought I saw a new episode of SG-1 last night. With scenes of a new episode next week. When is the last show? I have been watching SG-1 a year now and started liking it more and more. It's been filling the wide gap between BSG seasons for me.Yeah, signing off on "Caprica" was a huge gamble that likely ate up any discretionary funding room which kept other shows alive, and the preliminary info on the series doesn't even sound that good.

There have been new episodes of SG1 since mid-July every Friday, and will continue until mid-September at least (they'll either mid-season-finale it, lame but they do it a lot, or they'll continue airing them straight through to the end of the year).

LTBasker
08-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I've heard they'll be able to continue with this season as they were meant to, but nothing's been said about if they're going to change the last episodes into a finale or if there will be a seperate finale allowed.

Lord Malakite
09-01-2006, 02:00 AM
If SG1 doesn't get a true ending its possible they could somehow merge any unfinished SG1 plots with Atlantis to give the show a more complete ending, sort of like how Bruce Timm did in Justice League Unlimited for Batman Beyond (among his other previous DC animated shows). It just a thought, but this news does suck.:cry:

JediTricks
09-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Timm often got away with it because that was an anthology series and they didn't have regular stars or plotlines to worry about or oversized budgets, it's not the same in a live-action show, they'd half-*** it if they tried.

Jargo
09-09-2006, 03:06 PM
only seen one episode of Atlantis and it sucked. felt like a cheap rip off of Andromeda for some reason. Although I do feel SG-1 has had it's day. That said a decent send off is essential. Nothing worse than a show just fading away like a voice trailing off in despair...........

JediTricks
09-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Both SG1 and Atlantis were pretty good last night, SG1 could have been tighter but was more of a personal story than a large one so it was easy to forgive stuff like the Trust being kinda lame.

Phantom-like Menace
09-10-2006, 12:52 AM
I liked the SG1 well enough but I agree the better of the two was Atlantis. Rodney's sister was a likeable character and the two characters went well together. Everyone's reactions to the other Rodney were great also. I didn't expect the Carter cameo.

I'm really curious about the ZPM problem. As far as travel to Earth goes, they can simply write around it with the intergalactic gate network and Daedalus but will we soon be on a quest for another ZPM? They've already said a Wraith attack would be ugly.

As far as SG1, I've already mentioned being fond of the Vala character, so I can't really complain about it. I laughed a couple of times and enjoyed the episode.

Blue2th
09-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Maybe they should end SG-1 with the Wraith discovering the Ori as the ultimate life scource they crave. With the Wraith immune to Ori power and prefering the Ori to humanoids as food,. Call the last episode "The enemy of my enemy" Then of course, they would have to find a new foe for the Atlantis crew.

JediTricks
09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
BTW, Rodney's sister was played by David Hewlett's actual sister, Kate Hewlett.

The drained ZPM annoyed me because Atlantis is already deep into this pattern of amazing technology finds being exhausted far too soon - whenever SG1 found stuff, it generally came back way later instead and didn't just exhaust itself or get destroyed.

pbarnard
09-11-2006, 10:29 PM
BTW, Rodney's sister was played by David Hewlett's actual sister, Kate Hewlett.

The drained ZPM annoyed me because Atlantis is already deep into this pattern of amazing technology finds being exhausted far too soon - whenever SG1 found stuff, it generally came back way later instead and didn't just exhaust itself or get destroyed.

But that's the difference between being able to go home versus isolated and alone. Biggest mistake is allowing any sort of contact with Earth so soon at the end of season one. The SGC had allies who not only were powerful and helpful, but actually interested in them succeeding early on. The Atlantis Expidition (AE) doesn't have any allies due to the nature of the Wraith who are even comprable to things like the Tokra, Tollen, Aasgard etc.

JediTricks
09-12-2006, 02:34 PM
SGC didn't have allies early on either but grew them organically throughout season 2. Atlantis without allies or contact felt too isolated and Star Trek Voyager-esque, it can only be taken so far IMO before it drags on the writing, especially since the Wraith are kind of crappy villains. The show had no larger sense of story when it was just Atlantis alone, like a ship in a bottle. Now we're back to "oh no, here comes the *next big disaster* and we don't have defenses" storylines which get tedious after a while (again, Voyager did this too much).

LTBasker
09-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Well at least the Genii are getting more development that could lead to possible allies rather than just leaving them to be filler villains. Looking at some upcoming plot synopsises (is that the right plural?) we will be seeing more of the Asurans, so they might have plenty of opportunity for a ZPM (or more).

JediTricks
09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
"Synopses" is the plural of synopsis. Both words officially look weird now. :p

You are right, the Genii have become interesting rather than the 1-note villains they started as.

Phantom-like Menace
09-13-2006, 12:10 AM
JT, thanks for the info about the casting of Meredith's Rodney's sister. I wouldn't have caught that.

As for the Genii, I just want to know when they're bringing back the cute little red head.:whip:

JediTricks
10-12-2006, 04:04 PM
SG1.... RIIIIIIIIIISE!!!!

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700008699

2 movies, likely direct-to-video, the first wrapping up the Ori storyline (yay).

pbarnard
10-12-2006, 04:43 PM
SG1.... RIIIIIIIIIISE!!!!

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700008699

2 movies, likely direct-to-video, the first wrapping up the Ori storyline (yay).

Episode 200 anyone? :Par:

JediTricks
10-13-2006, 03:02 PM
I read a rumor that MGM tried to go ahead with an 11th season in syndication and Sci-Fi Channel was able to kill that idea. SFC would be pretty low to pull such a stunt.

Lord Malakite
01-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Here is some news, MGM has just released the titles, general synopsis, and cast listings for the upcoming Stargate SG-1 films.

MGM's press release states that "Stargate SG-1 cast members Ben Browder, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, Claudia Black and Michael Shanks are confirmed to star in both movies. Written and produced by Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, the new movies will feature the latest visual and sound effects, providing viewers with a theatrical movie-going experience."

Stargate: The Ark of Truth
As SG-1 searches for an Ancient artifact which they hope can defeat the armies of the Ori, they learn more Ori ships are about to be sent through the supergate to launch a final assault on Earth. Daniel discovers that the artifact, the Ark of Truth, may be in the Ori home galaxy, and SG-1 embarks aboard the Odyssey to find it, and pre-empt the attack. The IOA has a plan of their own and SG-1 ends up in a distant galaxy fighting two powerful enemies.

Stargate: Continuum
While SG-1 attends the execution of Ba'al, the last of the goa'uld system lords, Teal'c and Vala inexplicably disappear into thin air. Carter, Daniel and Mitchell race back to a world where history has been changed: the Stargate program has been erased from the timeline. As they try to convince the authorities what's happened, a fleet of goa'uld motherships arrives in orbit, led by Ba'al, his queen, Katesh, (Vala) and his first prime, Teal'c. SG-1 must find the Stargate and set things right before the world is enslaved by the goa'uld.

JediTricks
01-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Both sound pretty good, but I hope that first one is at least 4 hours long in order to wrap up the annoying Ori storyline.

I've learned some spoilers about the upcoming episodes and next season of Atlantis, I'll do inviso-text to hide 'em so highlight to read...

=== start here === Later this season, Dr Beckett dies. The actor who plays Carson wanted to leave the show, so they have him die in a story-permanent way.

Also, next season Amanda Tapping is joining the cast, Carter will be in 14 episodes and will be arriving in her own ship.

Finally, Weir will be taken out of the opening credits and reduced to a "recurring role" instead of a "starring role", her part will be diminished and there's no saying how many eps she'll be in. === end here ===

I'm really glad about those last 2, the former's addition is something I can really buy and I dig the character; and the latter is 2 seasons too late, they can't write for that at all.

Lord Malakite
01-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I heard about the middle one happening.

=== Possible Spoiler === From my understanding Amanda Tapping unlike the other SG-1 casts still had a considerable chunk of time left on her original SG-1 contract when SG-1 got axed. So Carter was written into Atlantis in part as a means of completing her contract deal with MGM. === End Spoiler ===

JediTricks
01-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Wouldn't the movies complete that?

Lord Malakite
01-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Not necessarily. Its possible (even with the movies taking care of some of it) there was more time on that particular contract than the other casts to complete it entirely. I suppose its also possible that the movies may of had seperate contracts from the show (since the whole cancellation ,then later the movie thing, came as kind of a shock to almost everyone when it hit).

JediTricks
01-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I dunno about that, her contract for last season of SG1 was signed so she only had to do half the season's episodes, I doubt she'd sign on for 4 more years of that or something.