PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy the new Ultra's

RobertDD
08-22-2006, 08:42 PM
I have been looking everywhere here but after the snowspeeder and Slave 1 the Ultra's seem to have dried up. WM, K-mart, toys R Us, target and KB d not seem to be carrying the newer ones (at-at, Falcon and DV Tie). Who knows where to get them online for a decent price? I checked Entertainment Earth, as I have had luck with them in the past, but it seems ordering from them will require me to order two $75+ waves to get the three ships I need, and that seems a litle over the top.

Kidhuman
08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
You can try www.razorsedge.com they have some there.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Every Target I've been to has had them recently or has them and won't put them out, the Vader's TIE/Galactica wave with the Falcon in it is shipping pretty steadily, just that there's 2 Vader's TIE which nobody wants in the case and only 1 of Galactica and Falcon. There's 2 Falcons in the previous wave case, plus an AT-AT and either a Snowspeeder or ARC-170 (depending on which revision it is) but that case seems to be poorly ordered.

RobertDD
08-23-2006, 07:28 AM
JT: It seems west and east coast disrbution differ greatly. I am on the east coast and I havent seen any of the newer titaniums over here yet. Also, in the spotters threat I havent seen anybody on the east coast mentioning anything about them.

KidHuman: is it www.razorsedgecollectibles.com (http://www.razorsedgecollectibles.com) you are refering to? I checked them out and they only seem to have an Arc 170?

Kidhuman
08-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Yes, that was them RDD. You have to check them every few days as they are always changing their stuff.

Darth Michael
08-23-2006, 08:19 AM
On Hasbro's Titanium page (http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=browse&brand=793&viewall=yes), there is a "Buy It" icon under the Ultra AT-AT (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?ID=17692&BR=495). As of now (morning of 8/23), it is listed as "In Stock".

RobertDD
08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
KidHuman, I will keep an eye out on their site then, thanx!

Darth M: $25.68 shipped for the AT-AT, ouch, but I did it anyways as I am really worried I might miss that one completely otherwise. Thank you very much for the tip!

So, still looking for a good place to order the Falcon and the Tie from (preferably in one place so shipping is a little better)

JediTricks
08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Darth M: $25.68 shipped for the AT-AT, ouch, but I did it anyways as I am really worried I might miss that one completely otherwise. Thank you very much for the tip!"Ouch", really? That's an awesome price IMO, the set costs $22 with sales tax in the store, so that's only a gallon of gas on top of that which you'd probably burn up getting to and from the store anyway. A friend of mine just wasted $33 on ebay getting the AT-AT.

RobertDD
08-24-2006, 08:17 AM
"Ouch", really? That's an awesome price IMO, the set costs $22 with sales tax in the store, so that's only a gallon of gas on top of that which you'd probably burn up getting to and from the store anyway. A friend of mine just wasted $33 on ebay getting the AT-AT.

I guess if you see it that way it's not too bad. I have been buying the titanium for $20 here (no sales tax in NH), but $25 is definately better than $33 (that's really "OUCH").

Anybody got any leads on the other two though?

Darth Michael
08-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I've only seen the Falcon "in the wild" twice. (Wishing I bought the second one, actually.)

The DV TIE isn't common, but I have seen it 3 or 4 times over the last two weeks of hunting.

RobertDD
08-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Wow, I just checked the Hasbro toyshop, and guess what: both the Falcon and the Tie are now for sale too (and the Ultra BS galactica too, if you are into that)! I ordered and am a happy man. Thanks everyone!

Darth Michael
08-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Good news, but damn it figures they'd go on sale there after I put all that mileage on the car hunting for them!

safe > sorry

RobertDD
08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Good news, but damn it figures they'd go on sale there after I put all that mileage on the car hunting for them!

I hear you. Me: State of NH from Lebanon to the South (Keene, Manchester, Concord, all the way to Portland Maine, really). Who bids more?

JediTricks
08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
I guess if you see it that way it's not too bad. I have been buying the titanium for $20 here (no sales tax in NH), but $25 is definately better than $33 (that's really "OUCH").

Anybody got any leads on the other two though?Not paying sales tax definitely does change things a bit I suppose.

safe > sorry
No f***ing kidding, same here!

RobertDD
08-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Not paying sales tax definitely does change things a bit I suppose.

ActionFleet/Titanium Ultra wise: not really (but while hunting I do drive a really nice car :D )

SWAFMAN
08-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Great tip on Hasbro.com. I looked there about a week ago and they only had one old Ultra - I forget which one, but I know I already ahd it and it wasn't a recent wave ship.

I got the Galactica just now from them. $28.12 with shipping. Yes, I know it isn't "really" bad if you figure full retail price plus gas $ to drive all over God's Green Acre to find one at a store. Ever since I found one ultra for $15 on clearance, I feel like that's the normal price. So $28 feels like I'm paying almost double. I'll get over it. :rolleyes:

I think this gets me up to date on the Ultras, including the MilFal and VaderTIE from D&S. My list so far:

X-wing
Rep Gunship
Snowspeeder
AT-AT
Tri-Fighter (two - one for an opener)
Slave-1
ARC-170 (two - one for an opener)
MilFal
VaderTIE
Galactica (on-order)

Looking at Warstar's
compendium of all things Titanium (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=477996&postcount=1), it looks like I am missing a regular TIE fighter and a Jedi Starfighter, but I don't recall ever hearing any buzz on this forum about those vehicles being released as Ultras???

The ULTRA TITANIUM checklist OFFICIALLY listed the following upcoming ships:

1. ARC-170
2. Slave 1 (No specific version- probably ONLY the Fett one out now)
3. Snowspeeder
4. Millennium Falcon
5. Trade Federation Droid Fighter (TRI-FIGHTER- NOT the old one- it's pictured on the flyer)
6. AT-AT
7. Jedi Starfighter (What version? Who knows- but probably ROTS)
8. TIE FIghter
9. Republic Gunship (Will they re-release it?)
10. X-Wing (Same as above?)
11. Darth Vader's TIE Fighter
(12. Battlestar Galactica)

I was noticing on the Falcon and VaderTIE, that it looks like Hasbro finally seems to be getting their crap together on making the packaging for the Ultras not as flimsy and damage-prone. The added a plastic molding to support the "Star Wars" logo on the front-center, and the tape holding the box together at the bottom seems better done with these last two.

It figures that they'd just start to be getting things better when the future of the line looks dim. Of course, if they'd left the damn boxes like they were originally for the X-wing and Rep Gunship, maybe the lower packaging cost would've improved this line's profit margin? The original boxes also seemed like they would've been easier to stock on the store shelves.

dindae
08-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Looking at Warstar's
compendium of all things Titanium (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=477996&postcount=1), it looks like I am missing a regular TIE fighter and a Jedi Starfighter, but I don't recall ever hearing any buzz on this forum about those vehicles being released as Ultras???

This was taken from the checklist they included in the titaniums. The TIE and Jedi Starfighter haven't been release even though if they went in order they should be. Who knows if they will be at this point. The fact that no pictures were seen at SDCC doesn't bode well.

sicqnus
08-27-2006, 12:17 PM
02.00 AM - The border between the "Titanium" country and the "No-way-to-find-any-Ts-here" country.

Custom Patrol Officer :
- "And you thought you could fool me ???"
The women :
- "Please, I can't find any Ultra in my country, please..."
Custom Patrol Officer (removing the dashboard) :
- "Hahaha !!! You're f**ked now !!! No metal for ya Ma'am !"

:twisted:

*(probably international distribution will help increasing the sales, Galoob was present in most European countries...).

RobertDD
08-27-2006, 12:59 PM
02.00 AM - The border between the "Titanium" country and the "No-way-to-find-any-Ts-here" country.

Custom Patrol Officer :
- "And you thought you could fool me ???"
The women :
- "Please, I can't find any Ultra in my country, please..."
Custom Patrol Officer (removing the dashboard) :
- "Hahaha !!! You're f**ked now !!! No metal for ya Ma'am !"

:twisted:

*(probably international distribution will help increasing the sales, Galoob was present in most European countries...).

I used to live in the Netherlands when I first started collecting and I know exactly what you are talking about. Most of my collection was bought on e-bay and on trips to the USA. (of course, the twisted thing is that all those toys I paid premium shipping for have then been shipped back into the USA when I immigrated four years ago, talk about paying too much for shipping:D )

Ever since I found one ultra for $15 on clearance, I feel like that's the normal price. So $28 feels like I'm paying almost double. I'll get over it.

Now, that's what I feel like (also, they really should retail for $15, not $20)

RobertDD
08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I just got all three of the latest Ultra's in. They are GREAT! all the new feaures: leg joints, opening ramps, cockpit figures, removable panels, very, very, very cool. I think these would do great if if they made it to retail. Except of course for the fact that none of the great features are mentioned on the package. The Falcon says: "with movable canons". Can I just say: "Whaa??" That was the AF version. On the Titanium Ultra Falcon, the only reason the canons move is because they are made from weak, soft bendable plastic... Of all the features that thing has, they chose to mention the movable canons...

Anyways, the one feature I could not get to work were the "removable wings" on the Tie. Anyone got them to come off (in such a way that they go back on to)???

dindae
08-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Anyways, the one feature I could not get to work were the "removable wings" on the Tie. Anyone got them to come off (in such a way that they go back on to)???

I attempted it becasue I saw it on a site somewhere but when I met so much resistance I decided it wasn't worth it. I wasn't sure at the time if its was actually a feature or a picture of someone that likes to dismantle toys to see how they work and if it was on the packaging I missed it in my opening frenzy.

RJarvis
08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
any idea where you saw that? and are we talking about the vader tie?

i'm a bit kenfewsed (par for the course for me)

rj

dindae
08-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Here is the picture I saw.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/ultra_darth_vader_tie_advanced_x1_found_99295.asp

RobertDD
08-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Good picture, although that still doesn't explain how they come off. It loosk like there is some sort of mechanism holding the end that is flush with the cockpit. That end seems to be held somehow.

My DV Tie came with twist ties holding the wings, which is how I came to realize they were removable to begin with. The twist ties are almost impossible to remove due to their position. The rubber band holding all the cockpit removable details actually IS impossible to remove. I had to loosen the Tie from the base (unscrew) before I could get it to come of.

Anyway, waiting or someone to show me the way with those wings!

dindae
08-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah it took a while to get those twist ties off. I know there are two points the wings connect. There is a C-shape clip towards the back that is easier to unfasten and judging from the pictures it looks like a rubber knob that fits into a socket. So my best guess is just yank.:twisted:

JediTricks
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Except of course for the fact that none of the great features are mentioned on the package. Yeah, I went through the list of features these things have yesterday when I did that news story on the Ultras at HTS and I had to think them up all on my own, the packaging mentions none of them, hell I didn't even know the panel came off on the Snowspeeder when I first got it out of the package.

The Falcon says: "with movable canons". Can I just say: "Whaa??" That was the AF version. On the Titanium Ultra Falcon, the only reason the canons move is because they are made from weak, soft bendable plastic... Of all the features that thing has, they chose to mention the movable canons...The cannons do move, the soft plastic makes them bend first but eventually I could feel them really turning instead of bending.

Anyways, the one feature I could not get to work were the "removable wings" on the Tie. Anyone got them to come off (in such a way that they go back on to)???Well, they're twistie-tied down which is super annoying, once I got that off I couldn't get them to stay in place, turned out they have a tight lock point and I hadn't reached it all the way, it keeps the wobble to a bare minimum. I have been able to remove them, pulling straight out.

RobertDD
09-01-2006, 08:41 AM
The cannons do move, the soft plastic makes them bend first but eventually I could feel them really turning instead of bending.:tired:
I figured as much, but the position mine came in was quite fine and I didn't feel like breaking anything. You have to admit though, of all the great new features this particular ship has (and it really is one of my favorites, hands down) the movable canons are by far the most mundane and insignificant. Why anyone in marketing thinks that that is the feature to highlight on the packaging is beyond me.

Well, they're twistie-tied down which is super annoying, once I got that off I couldn't get them to stay in place, turned out they have a tight lock point and I hadn't reached it all the way, it keeps the wobble to a bare minimum. I have been able to remove them, pulling straight out.
So if I pull straight out from the starting position they will come off and I won't break the ship? (Just making sure I am getting this right)

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Well, it seems like Hasbro has no idea how to market these toys, I actually started a question about that in the questions thread.

Yeah, pull straight AWAY from the vehicle laterally (pull the wings away from each other) and they'll pop out.

Kidhuman
09-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Target by me had what ever left overs on clearance for 9.88, so if you missed any, check there.

JediTricks
09-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Better hurry, line is officially cancelled.

Warstar
09-04-2006, 06:24 PM
IT IS????

Where is this, JT? :(

I was going to hold off on ordering the Galactica, Darth's TIE and the Millennium Falcon until tomorrow from HasbroToyShop.com but I guess my order is now going to go in here in a few minutes!

Does this mean we'll be seeing protos on Ebay for the TIE Fighter and the JSF now? :( :( :(

Kidhuman
09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
The news is in thew Hasbro Q&A I believe&

jonthejedi
09-05-2006, 05:28 AM
That's where I saw it.

SWAFMAN
09-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I had an email from Hasbro last week saying they shipped my Galactica, but as of Saturday, it had not arrived. I hope they still shipped it. :(

SWAFMAN
09-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Does this mean we'll be seeing protos on Ebay for the TIE Fighter and the JSF now? :( :( :(

Oh man, I hope not. That was so damn upsetting on the AF unreleased ships. I never bothered, as the scalprices were just so insulting. Of course, that also means my AF collection is incomplete. Collecting should be about fun and enthusiasm, not about the status of being able to afford an over-inflated scalprice.

JediTricks
09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
The line is cancelled this fall, which means we may not get new entries or we may, but they're going to stop shipping it in the next 3 months. No need to panic about HTS orders at this point.

SWAFMAN
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
The line is cancelled this fall, which means we may not get new entries or we may, but they're going to stop shipping it in the next 3 months. No need to panic about HTS orders at this point.

My Galactica arrived today. If there are any still left at Hasbro online, I may get a 2nd one for an opener. Looks very cool. Hope they do release the JSF and TIE before they permanently axe the line.

Warstar
09-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I got my order in- I hope the ships I get are painted well (I usually have the pick of the lot here but I haven't seen new Ultras on the shelves in almost 2 months :( )

I do hope they finish out the line with the JSF and TIE Fighter...guess we'll see. Maybe I'll porpose that question for Ask Hasbro...

RobertDD
09-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Better hurry, line is officially cancelled.
Oh no! It can't be tru?!? Not AGAIN!!

I do hope that they will finish out the line with the two promissed ships (especially a Jedi starfighter).

On a side note: I looked through the Q&A and did not find any definitive: "We cancelled the line". The best I found was: "Stay Tuned" (on: "what will happen to the 6" line) so a link would be appreciated!

dindae
09-06-2006, 09:37 AM
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=220

It's one of the questions from rebelscum. Since we have seen a picture yet on either the TIE or JSF I'm going to assume I never will. My wallet is happy but I'm a little sad to see these go.

RobertDD
09-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanx for the link dindae. The way the cancelation is worded seems to indicate Hasbro will finish out the line with the intended vehicles (or maybe i'm just hearing what I want to hear, we'll see...)

What never ceases to amaze me is how Hasbro does business. They say "sales are not what they are expected to be".

What sales?

Back when we here first became aware of the features on the new at-at (leg joints and such) Hasbro put up an entire web page up for the ultra's. It seems that at that point in time sales were just fine and the line was given the "full steam ahead". So those disappointing sales spoken of must be the sales of the Ultra's that were released after that site went up, right? So that would be the At-at, the Falcon and Darth Vader's Tie.

I waited for these to apear in stores. Waited, got worried, waited some more, posted here and finally got them online, at Hasbros' OWN online store, at the very first moment (just about) they became available there. That was less than a week before the line was cancelled. Where Hasbro's own online sales included in the disappointing sales figures? I highly doubt it, but even if they were, how much will less than a week of online sales or so influence anything? I would mark the moment that these became available at Hasbro online as the first chance to buy these in sufficient quantities at just about retail prices.

Only last weekend (that would be after the line was cancelled) I saw the DV Tie and the Falcon (and the Galactica) in a Walmart near here for the first time (the big new one in Rochester, NH). I have yet to see the at-at at retail. No matter how fast they sell, they're sale wont be included in those disappointing sales figures. Note also that they are still not readily available here, unlike the 3" titaniums.

So, when Hasbro claims that "sales are not what they are expected to be", what are they talking about??? Sales are EXACTLY what they are expected to be. If you make a product, then don't offer it for sale (not even through YOUR OWN ONLINE STORE) then noone will (read: can) buy it.
DUH!

Here's a novel idea: how about basing sales figures on actual consumer sales instead of basing conclusions on them BEFORE consumers get a chance to influence them.

dindae
09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
When Hasbro is talking about sales they are referring to the sales from them to retail. The Arc170 and Trifighter stunk up the place rotting on shelves everywhere. The snowspeeder and Slave 1 didn't get nearly the distribution because retail cut their orders but I still saw the same case of them sitting at Toys R Us for weeks. So orders probably decreased again for the Darth Tie / Falcon wave or at least didn't improve enough to make their set profit margin. So the fact that no one can find the Falcon/AT-AT/Galactica is due to the fact that the stores aren't ordering them because the prior waves didn't sell.

SWAFMAN
09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
deja vu (all over again).

Ever since Hasbro bought Galoob, we've seen the same cycle with AF (even MMs, to a degree), and now T-Ultras. One or two "dogs" get released (can you say Count Dooku's Wife's IUD, aka the Solar Sailer?) and grow cobwebs on the retail shelves. Retailers get twitchy and don't re-order. Of course, this ALWAYS happens when, if they DID re-order, THAT next order WOULD include the wave of ships we're wetting ourselves with excitement to buy! :frus: Has-blow sees a drop in sales, and instead of spending ANY effort whatsoever to PROPERLY understand what happened and why, they cut their losses.

In the case of the T-Ultras, I think some of the blame for sales rests with the packaging, which in my opinion, never properly presented the ships to consumers. The size of the boxes always seemed to relegate them to below eye-level, unless you were 3 years old. And no parent was going to buy one for any 3-yr old that saw one and picked it up. Part of the reason for the shelf placement also seems to be that - at least in the stores I go to - there's an unfortunate tendency for the section of the toy aisles where the retailers need to place these vehicles, to have NO WAIST-TO-EYE-LEVEL shelves anymore. IT'S ALL PEGS at that level in the Action Figure aisles I've seen, EXCEPT for Toys-R-Us. Consequently, the poor-parented animals that cyclone through the pegs, leave the pegged items strewn all over the shelves below, further blocking sight of the non-collector potential T-Ultra consumers. When someone finally did see one, half the time the poorly designed box was beaten-up to where it looked like something that dropped out from under a Bantha's tail.

Finally, the price point flat-out sucked. Again, the packaging did not adequately "sell" the value of the ships at that price. The transformer ships were at least as big, fit on eye-level pegs, etc, etc,.......

This is all Monday-morning quarterbacking, but it has the benefit of the better part of 10 years experience collecting this line and its heritage. If these ships had been blister-packed for peg display - which could've been done while at the same time protecting the ships from scuff paint damage, etc. - and were MSRP'd at $15.99, I think they'd have survived longer.

I admit that blister-packing the tri-fighter and maybe some of the other ships would've been tough, but maybe it could've been done if the vehicle's fins or wings, etc. were removable - which also would've been a sellable play feature. As for the display bases - pfooey on them. I'd have rather had an AF-style base that was metal or otherwise built to hold the die-cast ship's weight. That could also have collapsed/disassembled to fit in the back panel of a blister pack.

Kidhuman
09-06-2006, 02:33 PM
When Hasbro is talking about sales they are referring to the sales from them to retail. The Arc170 and Trifighter stunk up the place rotting on shelves everywhere. The snowspeeder and Slave 1 didn't get nearly the distribution because retail cut their orders but I still saw the same case of them sitting at Toys R Us for weeks. So orders probably decreased again for the Darth Tie / Falcon wave or at least didn't improve enough to make their set profit margin. So the fact that no one can find the Falcon/AT-AT/Galactica is due to the fact that the stores aren't ordering them because the prior waves didn't sell.

Exactly what I was thinking, what irks me is I want the Falcon and cant find it. I was lucky enough to find an AT-AT.

Warstar
09-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Hasbro DEFINITELY dropped the ball on the TS Ultra line. I was pleased as punch when the Republic Gunship and the X-Wing came out ages ago- granted they were re-hash AF ships but I LOVED them- and it was good to have the stands again.

My original theories on why this line eventually bought the moisture farm stands: TOO much packaging, no EASY way to remove the ship from the base without tools (thereby lowering the playability), lack of features (Read: PILOTS), PRICE ($14.99 or $15.99 per ship would have been FINE!) and lack of shipping variety (it's sad when the first mass retail shipment of a line- aka the ARC and Droid Tri-Fighter- KILLS the line almost completely from the get-go!)

*SIGH*

So much for the "poor man's Code 3." Now we have the Star Wars Universe version of Hotwheels- the 3" ships. They had BEST NOT die thanks to the next 3 repaint waves...

Makes you wonder if Hasbro is deliberately testing collectors or their own sales by releasing things the way they do. Arguably if the Falcon, Darth's TIE and the Galactica had been released BEFORE the ARC and Droid Tri-Fighter, I highly doubt their sales would have been as low as they apparently are.

Also, shipping 4 different ships in a TS Ultra case- or even more shipments of 2 of the same ships THEN 2 different ships (thereby shipping 3 different models per case) may have helped, too.

You'd think they'd ask us collectors this stuff- and that they would learn from us! But noooo...they run it into the ground themselves.

I'm pi55ed-off, damn it! :upset: :upset: :upset: The line should live!

RobertDD
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
The problem is that Hasbro simplifies the market by assuming demand from their immediate customers (the suppliers/warehouses that, in turn, supply the retailers) equals consumer demand, and that is the major flaw.

What I think is happening is this: the first shipment of wave 1 (Arc & Tri) flew of the shelves. Retailers then REORDERED from their suppliers (I observed this myself, shelves were empty for a month or so, then got restocked), who reordered from Hasbro. But instead of keeping the line fresh with new material, Hasbro shipped out more of the same two ships. As a result, the reordered wave 1s became shelfwarmers at the retailer's. But instead of Hasbro looking at this as a problem, they look at the sales figures and conlude that the line is doing VERY well. Consumer demand is Huge (yeah right). So they ramp up production for wave 2 to be able to satisfy demand. The suppliers order wave 2 (since they are out of stock at this point) and they order in larger quantities than they originally ordered wave 1 since wave 1 sold out (to retailers, not consumers, but noone seems to be aware of that). Of course, this time around the sales to retail are much less than expected. Retail still has reordered wave 1 sitting on the shelfs and oes not order. Hasbro thinks all is GREAT as their sales have been steadily going up until now. When wave 3 comes around Hasbro produces, but suppliers don't buy (they still have large supplies of wave 2 not moving) and retailers don't buy (wave 1 is still sitting there, or in case they finally got rid of those they now get overproduced wave 2s, which sell briefly and then become shelfwarmers too, but they have no access whatsoever to wave 3 that everyone wants). Now sales are disappointing for Hasbro and they decide to cancel the line.

This is a textbook example of poor supply chain management; it's called a clogged supply line (the textbooks actually use a beer producer as an example, but it's the same deal). The solution: The producer/ultimate supplier (that would be Hasbro) needs to interpret sales correctly and be wary not to flood the market. Ideally all companies in the supply chain share sales info and production is adjusted based on that, but baring that information (companies often guard sales figures) a producer has to assume that a sudden increase in demand is in general NOT the result of increased consumer demand.

The sad thing is that with their online shop, Hasbro can actually gauge true consumer demand pretty directly as they own the entire supply chain in that case. If they would, they could finetune supply and adjust production based on discrepancies between sales to suppliers and online sales to the public.

There IS a market for these toys, as Galoob has proven a long time ago.

Warstar
09-07-2006, 08:59 PM
There IS a market for these toys, as Galoob has proven a long time ago.

Galoob proved it and Ebay perpetuates the demand, too...

Maybe Hasbro can continue the line but only release stuff on special occaisions (Star Wars' 30th Anniversary next year comes to mind ;))

It's just repainting and re-tooling and covering them in bronze or silver paint that gets OLD with us collectors- not the ships! Hasbro should learn that at some point- Galoob failed to learn that and see where it got them?

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I was very fired up when I heard the cancellation confirmation and made a few questions really digging into Hasbro about it. I did questions #31-33 but they're not getting a lot of votes, if you feel like we need to ask this immediately please vote for them before tomorrow at 1:30pm PST: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32627

There's a few other questions you may want to vote for as well, you get 4 votes.

The way Hasbro put it, I'm not expecting any future shipments of Titanium 6" beyond the Galactica and DV TIE Advanced, and there are no future cases listed on EE who usually list 3 to 6 months in advance.

Dindae is right, the sales are retailer interest, not customer interest (though customer interest leads to retailer interest). Hasbro's first mass-release pieces were small and had nearly no features, they were from a prequel which doesn't seem to sell as well as OT, and the first OT entry in the line (Slave I) was of dubious quality. Just like the Saga line's Action Fleet entries, the quality got better as the line continued, but by then the damage from lame early entries had already taken its toll on shelves and the line folded. Except for the Galactica, everything after the Droid Tri-Fighter was an OT ship, that wasn't a mistake, and every ship after Slave 1 has been selling, that's not a surprise.

Be fair Swaffy, Hasbro's folly in the Saga Action Fleet line didn't start with Dooku's Solar Sailer, it started with yet another Vader's TIE, X-wing and Naboo Fighter which all languished for good reason (only the Falcon sold at all because it's a good mold that was hard to find in its original run). Plus, Hasbro's genius case assorters nearly always decide to replenish product they're sure stores will want more of, like that stupid Vader's TIE in later cases, or ensure the most popular entries are short-packed.

They blister-pack the SW Transformers which are this same size and those are ridiculously oversized because Hasbro wants more eye department on the packaging than the toy alone offers.

Robert, as I remember it, the first cases of TS Ultra 6" didn't have Droid Tri-Fighters, it shipped in a revised wave 1 case. Then wave 2 was just Droid Tri and Slave 1, that wave's revised case had first an ARC-170 and another revised case had the Snowspeeder but by then the first 3 ships had shelfwarmed so the snowspeeder got lost in the shuffle and had to be put into a later wave, thus continuing a cycle of errors. This is Hasbro's classic M.O. in everything they do.

Part of the problem ultimately is what I got at in questions 31 and 33, Hasbro's sales expectations are too high and their buying Galoob made no sense since Galoob had more reasonable expectations (both in gross number of sales and the amount of time it took to make those sales, which is why there were generally only 3 Action Fleet and Micro Machines waves per year yet are still considered vast, classic lines).

RobertDD
09-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Robert, as I remember it, the first cases of TS Ultra 6" didn't have Droid Tri-Fighters, it shipped in a revised wave 1 case. Then wave 2 was just Droid Tri and Slave 1, that wave's revised case had first an ARC-170 and another revised case had the Snowspeeder but by then the first 3 ships had shelfwarmed so the snowspeeder got lost in the shuffle and had to be put into a later wave, thus continuing a cycle of errors. This is Hasbro's classic M.O. in everything they do.

Interesting, that's not at all hat I have seen in stores here. The Arc and Tri were available at the same time, then disappeared, then were restocked. Later on the snowspeeder and the Slave1 made it to retail (with significantly less exposure already, meaning that not all outlets that had the first to ships carried the second two). They were definatly together, but I do not know what was packed with them (if more Arcs & Tri fighters, that would account for the rediculous amounts of those on the shelves)

BTW, another reason for the line's poor performance is that there was no Titanium line until well (over 1 year) after the release of ROTS. What was that about?

SWAFMAN
09-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Be fair Swaffy, Hasbro's folly in the Saga Action Fleet line didn't start with Dooku's Solar Sailer, it started with yet another Vader's TIE, X-wing and Naboo Fighter which all languished for good reason (only the Falcon sold at all because it's a good mold that was hard to find in its original run).

No argument there. I only picked the Dooku-puke-oo as my example because it was so incredibly lame. Should've been a Playmate's Strike Force.

Since the day Hasbro assimilated Galoob into the anti-collector-Collective, they have been insulting consumers with far too many repaints/rehashes of the 6" scale SW vehicles. As nice as some of them are, most of the T-Ultras are just another form of repeat.

But at the same time, look at the explosion of new molds in the 3" vehicles. You have to figure that it's not only good volumes of retailer orders coming into Hasbro, but also a good profit margin, that is keeping a decent level of support / investment being pumped into the 3" line.

I never collected true Micros or the original die-casts from Galoob (I only have a few), and I didn't jump-in early enough to attempt now to have a decent collection of the 3" Titaniums (I only have a few), but I'm happy for the enthusiasts that ARE collecting the 3" line. At least THEY seem to be getting a nice assortment of never-before released ships.

Warstar
09-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Dollar for dollar, I bet Hasbro could sell the Titaniums for $2 and still make money. I would bet that whole-sale, they're like the price of a Hot Wheels car. I mean they're making a killing, sure, and I don't mind paying 5 bucks a pop.

However, I bet the fact that the line IS exploding is the reason why the "Buy 1 Get 1 free" packs were cancelled, and why there are at least 10 new vehicle sculpts on the way (thank you SDCC :)) :thumbsup:

JediTricks
09-09-2006, 04:10 PM
First off, thanks for the votes that ensured the questions got asked, I was able to get 2 of the questions asked this week (there was a tie for 31 and 33, I decided the "why buy Galoob" question wasn't as timely and could wait a week).

I hate to say it, but Dooku's Sailer wasn't even Strike-Force good... and that's not good! :p

You should try a 3" vehicle Swaffy, they can be surprisingly satisfying, and some fit AF vehicles which were underscaled, like the AF Falcon and 3" X-wing.

WS, I bet the tooling costs on Titaniums are higher, and because they don't sell as many units and they have licensing fees on each that's higher costs, and the paint apps on the TS are a little nicer so that costs more, and they have more expensive packaging which costs more. I bet Hasbro could sell these at $3.50 and make a slim profit, but I wouldn't go as low as $2.

rbaumhauer
09-09-2006, 06:11 PM
If anybody is looking for Ultras, BigBadToystore seems to have most of them:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=673&company=0&category=1915

They're $18.99 - my AT-AT was $26 and change shipped, and the packing was very, very good.

I've been preordering everything from BBTS since the KEBCO fiasco and retail frustration that followed, and have been extremely pleased with their service.