PDA

View Full Version : If another Toy company had to make StarWars figures who should it be... ?

Darth Ovori
01-28-2002, 02:16 PM
This is a tuff one...
What if the licence could be shared, or taken away from Hasbro...

But I'll put my money on Mcfarlane... Since he doe's have the technology, talent, and always winning awards as best Toy company for the year...

I recall from the Spawn boards that he would love to have StarWars...
And after seeing the success of the Shrek line (as it was Mcfarlanes first mayor movie line...)

I feel he could do justice to the lines... as he always delivers what the fans want...

bigbarada
01-28-2002, 02:37 PM
I must admit, that aside from a few strange decisions (Princess Fiona's karate leg), McFarlane did a really nice job with the Shrek line. I really wouldn't mind them taking a crack at the Star Wars line. However, I think the number of different characters in each assortment would suffer (can only stick so many 8" figures in each case).

Toy Biz did a pretty good job with the LOTR line and who can forget the 30-points of articulation Spider-Man?

JEDIpartner
01-28-2002, 02:39 PM
Toybiz...

and ONLY because I think they would respect the scale... unlike McFarlane. That's just my opinion... and really, does it count?

JetsAndHeels
01-28-2002, 02:42 PM
Toybiz would be good for the basic line, and then perhaps McFarlane could do a few of the larger scale figures (perhaps revive the epic force).

Darth Ovori
01-28-2002, 02:48 PM
McFarlane has done 3 3/4" inch figures before...

Monsters line 1 to 2
Shrek sets

It's just I believe Mcfarlane would carry on making the smaller scale, as he would see the larger market of traditional SW collectors...

derek
01-28-2002, 04:08 PM
21st century toys has a pretty decent 1/18th scale military figure with good articulation and cool vehicles. i bet they could do a good job with the smaller figs. and for the 1/6th line, blue box toys would be my choice. everyone here would be going nuts if they saw quality 12 inch star wars toys like blue box would make.

Darth Ovori
01-28-2002, 04:24 PM
I have to agree 100% with the Blue Box Toys for the 12" inch figures...

Lman316
01-28-2002, 05:17 PM
I honestly wouldn't want any other company to make the figures. I have always worried about something like that, about someone else taking the rights and making their version of Star Wars toys.
It would really suck. You'd try to display the figures (at least that's what I do), and they wouldn't have any type of similarity to them. Going from 3 3/4" to 5" or 6" or 8" would - like I said - suck. Especially if you get McFarlane, you'd get the exact same statue type stuff that everyone is yelling about now.
I'm tired of the b*tching and the moaning, so I'm going to stop. I'm just going to give Hasbro the benefit of the doubt (because they're actually a decent company, and they have tried on many occassions) and hope that they can correct the funny leg poses, because that's really the only problem that I have. If they can't or won't, then I'll buy the things I like and pass on the rest... I already gave them my comment about the new poses.......so I'm hoping that they'll listen.

Tarkin the otter
01-28-2002, 05:21 PM
I'd love to see Playmates give it a shot. They have shown respect for the fans with their Simpsons line, and.... oh, wait - they did the Star Trek line as well. But I must agree, I'd like to see Mcfarlane do a bunch of cantina aliens. (But make them stronger - my Blairmonster fell apart as soon as I touched it).

LTBasker
01-28-2002, 06:09 PM
The company doing the super-duper articulated spider-man figures. :D

ToyBiz might be ok, and McFarlene, but they would have to make medievil versions, blood versions, ninja versions, etc. :rolleyes:

CrossWizard
01-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Toy Biz, cause after seeing the LOTR figures and the upcoming Spiderman movie figures I must say they have not only perfected the art of sculpting but they manage to put enough articulation on a figure to make it super poseable.

Unit-01
01-28-2002, 07:40 PM
AND nice looking at the same time!

Wolfwood319
01-29-2002, 02:38 AM
The Toybiz of today seems to be doing an excellent job. Toybiz 2 years ago was pretty bad.

McFarlane would be really good if they used the same scale as that old Monsters line they did. I don't think we'd see as many background characters though, if McFarlane did it. They only do about 6-8 new figures a year, per line.

Also, McFarlane is a collector's toy company. They make figures for collectors, with input for collectors. I think we'd see a lot more fans happy if McFarlane took over (assuming they liked the new line.)

SithDroid
01-29-2002, 03:06 AM
I am impartial to Toybiz. I have never bought a toy form them except for the recent 30 point articulation Spiderman. I always found their toys to be horrible sculpts with horrible painting. Plus the scale of the figures (ex X-Men) changed all the time. It would be too hard to assemble a set. But, it does look like they are doing a better job these days.

My money would be with McFarlane. His line is always very detailed, plus he is not afraid to do obscure characters. I agree that most of his toys end up looking more like statues, but I'm sure that he could find a way to have multiple articulation points.

Dark Marble
01-29-2002, 11:23 AM
I am going to have to agree with Lman316. I don't think I would like to see the star wars line go anywhere else. The main point of my collection is a sense of continuity. The figures come from the same lines and the go together. If the toys go to someone else it becomes a whole new seperate line. And I don't want to start a new collection. For me it is not a fear of change, it is just a complete lack of interest. My collecting spirit is on the fence right now, and a hit like that would just put the final bullet in collecting star wars for me.
I collect some of Mcfarlane's stuff (Hockey figs) and I think they are decent. But, I can't imagine what he would do with the star wars line, and what about vehicles? What about playsets? The little extras from Hasbro that we wouldn't get from any where else. It's nice to dream about a toy company stepping in and giving the fans what the want with superior sculpting, articulation, obscure and main characters, at the right scale with vehicles and accesories to go arond with a low price....but it is just a dream. And we are getting a lot more out of hasbro then we ever thought we would. And in general the lines mesh from 1977 to 2002. So if tomorrow we find that Mcfarlane or toybiz or johnny q. makestoys got the star wars line, I would morn a collection that would never be the same again. I might collect some of the new stuff, but I doubt it.

187-Maul
01-29-2002, 12:26 PM
I would too have to agree with Lman316 and Dark Marble

maybe Mcfarlane should make some cool core characters like Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Stormie's etc.
that would be real cool cause they would be perfect detailed, articulated and everything else :D

evenflow
01-29-2002, 06:35 PM
I would have to say Mcfarlane. He would do an incredible job.

Obehave Kenobi
01-29-2002, 10:54 PM
I would be afraid of the scale changing too, but I think if either Toy Biz or McFarlane got the license, they would respect the established scale. They both seem pretty good at listening to what the collectors want, and that's what we'd want. I also think that Jakks Pacific might be up to the challenge after having seen their latest WWF figures. However, If I had to pick one company, it would be McFarlane. That is, if he makes the figures a little sturdier.

stillakid
01-29-2002, 11:32 PM
Playschool.

Turbowars
01-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Hey how about that company that makes those great 3.75" & 12" GI Joes with great articulation and accessories. Oh wait a minute thats Hasbro, silly me! That's right hasbro don't get cheap with us just because you think we will buy a product with the SW logo on it! The funny thing is, lots of collectors will and do. Hasbro/kenner has been slowly taking thinks away from us. First we had the awesome Freeze Frames, they took it away and gave us a useless commtech, took that and gave us a useless flash back slide photo, took that and gave us a useless Force file, took that gave us a grainy photo that a 49.99 ink jet printer could beat and run circle around it. Now it looks like we get a huge bubble with nothing in it but a constipated figure, lolly pop and a snap shot. Come on Hasbro stand the figure upright, give him a holster(something extra), tape a gun to him and package it in a proportional bubble and call it good.

pthfnder89
01-31-2002, 11:40 AM
Wow, I'm amazed that so many people here would be Pro McFarlane for doing StarWars. I have to say, that would be possibly the WORST company to have.

For all the complaining on this board that Hasbro is making the AOTC toys too statue like, McFarlane toys make the AOTC figures look like contortionists. I bought Spawn figures for years, and I also bought some of ther offshoot lines like Monsters and Austin Powers. But I havent bought a single one in about 3 years, because They turned into crap. Not only can they not move, but I've actually had FIVE McFigures that split down the torso when I tried to swing their arm down or turn their head.

I could respect them if they were just making the same boring (although REALY well sculpted, I admit) statues all the time. But when they let the quality slip that bad, it ****es me off.

Darth Ovori
01-31-2002, 12:04 PM
Sorry but I do not agree with that last post...

Spawn looks cartoony cause his from a comic!!!
Mcfarlane has won awards every year for the best likeness on there figures... Have you seen there X-files, Music lines... dammit man they look like real people only shrank...

Further more Mcfarlane listens to his fans...
2000 he released a Spawn figure with a fixed bent knee...
I started a petition one his boards that we need a regular posed one... 2 months later he annouce's that figure was going to be remade with a straight leg to stick with the tradition...
My handle name there is WOLFPRAYER and you can search in the archives for my protest...

So hence that's why I believe Mcfarlane would make what the fans want...

And statues... well besides one line all his other figures have an average of 13 points of articulation...

I allnearly 1000 Mcfarlane figures, when I compare them to Hasbro and the price tag, sometimes I wonder if I'm paying the StarWars logo and not the figure...

Dark Marble
01-31-2002, 12:27 PM
I don't think the detail of the sculpts of Mcfarlane's toys is the issue. It is the quality of the toys themselves. I once collected Mcfarlane figures, and still collect the hockey figures, but not all of the toys that Mcfarlane puts out are sturdy. I have had several mcfarlane figures fall apart just because I was trying to move an arm or put a wepon in their hands. Nine times out of ten Mcfarlane figures are great....in the box. But take them out you might have some problems. I am not knocking Mcfarlane or his toys or the individuals that collect his toys (because I am one of them). But sometime in his quest for detail he sacrifices quality. That said I still wouldn't want him to make star wars figures.

Darth Ovori
01-31-2002, 12:33 PM
On the quality issue... I could agree... :D

But he has promissed that this year the quality would improve...:D

pthfnder89
02-01-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Dark Marble
I don't think the detail of the sculpts of Mcfarlane's toys is the issue. It is the quality of the toys themselves. I once collected Mcfarlane figures, and still collect the hockey figures, but not all of the toys that Mcfarlane puts out are sturdy. I have had several mcfarlane figures fall apart just because I was trying to move an arm or put a wepon in their hands. Nine times out of ten Mcfarlane figures are great....in the box. But take them out you might have some problems.

Thanks Darth Marble, thats exactly the point I was going for. It's not that I hate their toys. And I don't even have a problem with the limited articulation on some of them , like the Hockey and NFL figures, because I think those are meant to only be displayed.

It's the quality that I dislike, because they fall apart far too easily. And I'm pretty sure that a lot of the figures recently have had FAR less than 13 points of articulation. But that's my point; I used to love their toys because they looked great *and* played great, adn they usually moved in a bunch of places. Then they stopped.

Anyway, I agree Darth Ovori, the quality is definitely slowly on the rise. I broke down and had to buy 2 of the new Metal Gear Solid figures, and they rule. I hope they keep that up.