PDA

View Full Version : $300.00 At-at!

bigbarada
08-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Okay, before anyone freaks out, here's the basic concept.

I was walking through Wal-Mart last night and started to notice the immense size of some of the RC vehicle that are being sold in the toy section these days. Then I remembered that area of TRU where they sell large pedal-powered vehicles for kids to drive around.

So I got to thinking, what's to stop Hasbro from making a 5-foot tall toy of the AT-AT to be used with the 4" action figures? They set the price point at around $300. While this seems unusually high, think about how much Master Replicas is selling their "studio scale" AT-AT; over $1000 and it's only a couple of feet long.

This toy would be less than a third of that price, over three times the size, and would be compatible with the action figures (not to mention being an enormous storage case for hundreds of figures).

This would clearly appeal mainly to adult collectors with lots of disposable income (the same ones who spend thousands on their costumes and buy up hundreds of dollars worth of prop replicas a month). But it would also be one of those things that kids dream about owning all the way into their adult life.

While it seems unprecedented, remember the USS Flag aircraft carrier for the GI Joe line was over 7-feet long.

A 5-foot tall AT-AT would be a huge draw to the toy section, just because of it's impressive size and it would go down in history as one of the greatest Star Wars toys ever made.

And if it does well, we could get a 4-5 foot diameter Millenium Falcon released after that.

Of course, you'd probably have to sacrifice a large piece of furniture in order to find a place to put these, but that would be a small price to pay for greatness.:thumbsup:

Darth Instigator
08-26-2006, 02:43 PM
no way! my son would want that and I would feel compelled to get it for him, please don't, lol

Bacta Beast
08-26-2006, 03:13 PM
It would be great but I cou;dn't afford it, and given the kind of answers Habro has been giving in the Q&A sessions I can't imagine them going for it.

2-1B
08-26-2006, 03:37 PM
That would be awesome and every home should have one but only if there is enough room.

Bobby Fett
08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Put me down for one. :pleased:

JediTricks
08-27-2006, 07:50 PM
So I got to thinking, what's to stop Hasbro from making a 5-foot tall toy of the AT-AT to be used with the 4" action figures?Well, one thing that might stop them is that an in-scale AT-AT for the figures would be only 33.8" tall, almost half the size you're talking about. (AT-AT is 15.5m tall, figure scale is 1:18, the AT-AT would be 0.86m tall)

Put me down for one. :pleased:You have bad taste in sig-lines. (I'm putting you down, get it? ;) - It's a joke people, lighten up)

A 2.8-foot-tall AT-AT seems feasible, and not in the radical $300 pricepoint BB is talking about either, but around the same "why the hell am I spending $90 for a 26-year-old mold???" pricepoint as the current one. Look at the giant vehicles you have been doing for the 12" GI Joe line over the past decade, there are other examples as well, it is possible I think, and it makes sense over recycling an old mold yet again.

bigbarada
08-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, one thing that might stop them is that an in-scale AT-AT for the figures would be only 33.8" tall, almost half the size you're talking about. (AT-AT is 15.5m tall, figure scale is 1:18, the AT-AT would be 0.86m tall)

A 2.8-foot-tall AT-AT seems feasible, and not in the radical $300 pricepoint BB is talking about either, but around the same "why the hell am I spending $90 for a 26-year-old mold???" pricepoint as the current one. Look at the giant vehicles you have been doing for the 12" GI Joe line over the past decade, there are other examples as well, it is possible I think, and it makes sense over recycling an old mold yet again.

That's even better! Even if it is free of electronics it would still be a great toy to own, look at the Gunship and Jango's Slave 1 - both great toys that had no electronic features.

So that could drop the price down to somewhere around $120-150. Still cheaper than what Gentle Giant is charging for that teeny little Speeder Bike statue.

Jaff
09-19-2006, 12:31 AM
I'd buy two!

It would help hasbro in shipping if the legs were detatchable so they could lay in the box with the box underneath the main body of the vehicle.

stillakid
09-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Of course, you'd probably have to sacrifice a large piece of furniture in order to find a place to put these, but that would be a small price to pay for greatness.:thumbsup:

Well, maybe if it came with an accessory tabletop, it could double as a coffee table when the kids weren't playing with it.

bigbarada
09-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Well, maybe if it came with an accessory tabletop, it could double as a coffee table when the kids weren't playing with it.

Kids? Who are these kids you speak of?:confused:

:D

Actually, they could also make it sturdy enough to support a 19" TV set inside the body and it can double as an entertainment center.:thumbsup:

pbarnard
09-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Kids? Who are these kids you speak of?:confused:

:D

Actually, they could also make it sturdy enough to support a 19" TV set inside the body and it can double as an entertainment center.:thumbsup:

Little plans, some MDF and plywood, grey walmart primer....

Battle Droid
09-19-2006, 01:47 PM
How in the world would you get the thing home? The box alone would be HUGE, not everyone owns a truck.

JEDIpartner
09-19-2006, 02:57 PM
That's just ridiculous.

stillakid
09-19-2006, 07:41 PM
How in the world would you get the thing home? The box alone would be HUGE, not everyone owns a truck.

Maybe the truck could be a pack-in accessory. :sur:

bigbarada
09-20-2006, 09:30 AM

The same way you'd get a new refrigerator home.:D

Actually, JT has already come in and poo-pooed all over my $300 AT-AT by mentioned that a 3.25" scale version wouldn't be nearly as large as I was thinking, so this thread has slipped into the realm of the ridiculous.

Anyways, how about a mini-fridge on one side and an ironing-board that folds out of the other side?:crazed:

JEDIpartner
09-20-2006, 09:39 AM
There was an AT-AT at Celebration III that was scaled to the 3.75" line of figures. It was rather impressive. I think it stood almost five feet tall.

stillakid
09-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Anyways, how about a mini-fridge on one side

Only if the legs really work and it can walk over to you at the couch.

pbarnard
09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Only if the legs really work and it can walk over to you at the couch.

But I just trained that 1/3 scale R2 to get me a drink!!!

JediTricks
09-20-2006, 05:20 PM
There was an AT-AT at Celebration III that was scaled to the 3.75" line of figures. It was rather impressive. I think it stood almost five feet tall.
I can't speak for the one at C3, I wasn't there, but the math says that an in-scale AT-AT would only be 2.8 feet tall, it's 51 feet tall in "real life" and the figures are 1/18th scale which is 2.8 feet, I posted this earlier in the thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=495982#post495982

JEDIpartner
09-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Well... it looked properly scaled. I don't think that the AT-AT is only 51 feet tall. Think about 50 feet... It the average human male is 5'8 (which that's what "the industry says) the height of an AT-AT would be roughly 9 people tall. That doesn't sound right, does it? You have to then think about the foot crushing an entire snowspeeder. It would be pretty short with HUGE feet! A couple sites I referenced stated that the AT-AT is approximately 22.6 metres tall, which is 74.15 feet. Anyhow, they had the figures and a snowspeeder next to the one at C3 and it looked correct.

JediTricks
09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Snowspeeders are very small, the Kenner toy version is noticably overscale - probably for clearance room getting the figures in and out of the vehicle, if they could do it themselves the toy probably would have been about 20% smaller. :p

I got my reference number from SW.com http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/atat/

Size: 15.5 meters tall

JEDIpartner
09-22-2006, 08:14 AM
I understand it states that in the databank but-- if you use your eyes, you can clearly see the thing is supposed to be taller than 50'. *shrug* The cockpit alone is at least 15' tall.

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Oookay, if the cockpit were 15m tall then you could fit 7 Veers standing on their shoulders in there. :p

These are special effects, it's not always easy to get a true sense of their intended scale, especially when photographers want to enhance their imposing nature by shooting them funny. We've never been given a solid element which with to compare the AT-AT's size too either, the Snowspeeder it steps on is half-buried in the snow, so it looks like it's stepping on more than it really is. Despite the EU packing tons of troops and vehicles into the AT-AT, in the movie when Luke uses the grappling line to swing up to its belly, it's not all that wide really, it's big sure but it's not the size of a 60-unit apartment building.

JEDIpartner
09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Okay... you DO realise that m=metres and '=feet... this isn't a difficult concept for you-- right? *nods with trepidation*

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Really, 15 meters isn't just 15 feet as well? :crazed: Doy! If you look at my math, you'll notice I converted metric to imperial and back again to explain how I got 2.8 FEET out of 15.5 METERS. ;)

A 15m tall cockpit would be 49' tall.

dr_evazan22
09-23-2006, 07:16 AM
What JP was saying was that the cockpit was about 15 feet tall (or about 4 - 5m).

"Heh heh - You said 'kcoc'!"
"Yeah! Then you said 'pit'!"

I agree with JP and BigB on the scale, that about 5 *feet* would look more accurate, compared to what was seen on film. Put me down for one!

JEDIpartner
09-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks Ari... I think JT's been taking a few too many trips around the block in the Doymobile. LOL ;)

dr_evazan22
09-23-2006, 01:39 PM
A Doymobile? Lucky bastard! I love those things! He needs to give me a ride at C4.

JediTricks
09-24-2006, 01:42 AM
What JP was saying was that the cockpit was about 15 feet tall (or about 4 - 5m).I didn't notice he was referring to feet in his post because his numbers "50" and "15" were bandied about previously in the thread in meters rather than feet.

Put me down for one!Ok, you're ugly. :p (I'm putting you down :D)

By the way, if the cockpit were 15 FEET tall, you could fit 3 Veers on each others shoulders in there., but he barely had headroom.

Thanks Ari... I think JT's been taking a few too many trips around the block in the Doymobile. LOL ;)
You're the one who obtusely asked me if I knew the difference between feet and meters without pointing out you had previously used one measurement and I had been thinking about it as the other - if Dr E. hadn't mentioned it just now I still wouldn't have known because you're a pompous ***. :p

LTBasker
09-24-2006, 11:51 PM
While the AT-AT gives off the impression it's like a legged skyscraper and whatnot, it seems to be alot shorter in movie references. I think JT's estimate is pretty close to what the AT-AT is supposed to be.

http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Vehicles/AT-AT&image=AT-AT-ROTJ-vcap.jpg&img=16&tt=
http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Vehicles/AT-AT&image=specialed032.jpg&img=&tt=

Here it is next to the endor platform, it looks huge but those hallways are only around 8' wide or so. We can see that with the human interaction on them.

http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Luke_Skywalker/Return_of_the_Jedi&image=luke-vdr.jpg&img=16&tt=
http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader/Return_of_the_Jedi&image=Luke_Vader3-ROTJ-vcap.jpg&img=48&tt=

A big problem is that comparing the exterior and interior scenes, the platform's hallway loses some height. In the scenes with the AT-AT lining up with the platform, it looks like there should be about 4' of height in between the rail and the bottom of the girder with the V-shapes. In the scenes with the people, it only looks about 2' worth of clearance matching the height from the rail to the floor of the hallway.

JEDIpartner
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
You're the one who obtusely asked me if I knew the difference between feet and meters without pointing out you had previously used one measurement and I had been thinking about it as the other - if Dr E. hadn't mentioned it just now I still wouldn't have known because you're a pompous ***. :p

Hey, hey, hey... name calling!!! Not very nice for a moderator!! :cry:

Besides... I'm just acting as a mild irritant. :p

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I didn't call you a name, I called you an "***" ;)

Nice pics Basker, the first shots are fx too so the size is fixed to the interior hallway set no less, and unlike the Falcon we have no interior pics of the AT-AT which contradict a smaller exterior size.