PDA

View Full Version : Episode IV: A New Hope - What Has Changed?

JediTricks
08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
The official Star Wars site has a scene-by-scene comparison between the original and updated versions of "A New Hope"... 122 of 'em!

On September 12, the original theatrical version of Star Wars will be available on DVD, bundled as a bonus disc to the 2004 Special Edition of the movie, which will be available for the first time ever as an individual movie DVD.

Sharp-eyed fans can easily rattle off the most significant changes to the evolving film, but now with the 1977 incarnation preserved on DVD, they'll be able to more easily witness and compare the differences between the earliest and latest editions of the movie that started it all.

Sure, you know about rontos and Han shooting first, but did you notice the compositing improvements on the pyrotechnic shots and the desert sky replacements over the Dune Sea?

To better prepare yourself as the ultimate authority of the changes, the official Star Wars site presents a shot-by-shot guide to the visual differences between the 1977 film and the 2004 DVD.

Visit StarWars.com (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/f20060825/index.html) for the full article and visual guide.

Kidhuman
08-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Already a thread on this JT.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32547

Slicker
08-27-2006, 06:57 PM
This is probably another one of those automatic threads. He made a front page article and the forums generated a forum thread.

Rocketboy
08-27-2006, 09:11 PM
That is annoying as all hell.

2-1B
08-27-2006, 09:25 PM
The changes to the movie or the automated threads ? :confused:

lol lol lol

JediTricks
08-27-2006, 09:35 PM
That is annoying as all hell.
No, you know what's annoying as hell? That other thread with a dozen off-topic posts. :p

Kidhuman
08-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I 100% disagree with you JT.

2-1B
08-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Give it time, JT, we'll be off track in no time. :D

Rocketboy
08-27-2006, 10:49 PM
The changes to the movie or the automated threads ? :confused:

lol lol lolAutomated threads.

So ummm, whatever happened to "Virtual Reality?"
10 years ago it was everywhere. And now...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-28-2006, 06:50 AM
So ummm, whatever happened to "Virtual Reality?"
10 years ago it was everywhere. And now...You must have taken the yellow pill. Therefore, you cannot tell the difference between "reality" and the virtual kind. BTW, things that are 10 years ago are, like, SO ten years ago... :pleased:

My favorite SE change was the 7.4% angling of the console on the Death Star during the "moment of triumph" scene. That had been bugging me since I first saw it on the screen at the drive-in back in '78. Finally...

:rolleyes:

2-1B
08-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Nice observation there, that certainly was pesky.

JediTricks
08-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Have you noticed that all the shots from '77 are brighter and more visable than the '04 ones? It makes comparisons like #117 really funny - can't see the original element they're talking about and can't see the corrected element, nice work. :p

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 04:12 PM
UPDATE - the official site has added a similar visual-changes guide for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (http://www.starwars.com/episode-v/release/video/f20060901/index.html), with 151 entries. Since many of the entries involve getting rid of "garbage mattes", there is an explanation of what that means.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2006, 09:27 AM
UPDATE - Since many of the entries involve getting rid of "garbage mattes", there is an explanation of what that means.I'd guess they have to do with the Hoth scene and the bleeding into the dark parts of the speeder frames. Or, there were a couple digital artists named Matte whose work was so hated by Lucas that he purged their names from the ending credits. :evil:

JediTricks
09-03-2006, 01:29 PM
To be honest, I was underwhelmed at many of the Hoth cleanup pics they offered, some looked even LESS comprehensible after the matting digital-fixes and some were way too sloppy.

Slicker
09-03-2006, 02:37 PM
They aren't impressive alterations but they were necessary. They did clean up alot of the Hoth matte lines which were quite noticable.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
I knew they changed Leia's Bespin apartment, but now it makes sense why with the inside-outside comparison pics. The matte lines really looked terrible in the old version.

TheCivilCollector
09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
There are only four things that bug me about the entire SE trilogy:

-The "greedo shoots first" (of course)
-The Jabba scene in "ANH"
-The musical number added in ROTJ
-Replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden in ROTJ (if they were gonna do that at all, they should have added Ewan and digital yoda in there as well, IMHO)

I think everything else made them alot more watchable. Especially last years DVD that fixed the Emperor in TESB and a bunch of wierd audio inconsistencies in TOT.

I'm not going to buy the new DVDs next week because they really aren't offering anything new (I have the old originals on laser), but I'm anxious to see what's done on all the movies with next years uber-box set.

JediTricks
09-10-2006, 02:17 PM
UPDATE 2 - StarWars.com has added the visual-changes guide for Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/release/video/f20060908/index.html), with a mere 97 entries.

JediTricks
09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
I would say that of all 3 movies, ROTJ benefitted the most from the technical changes and the least from the content changes. The content changes I abhor, only the small stuff like changing camera angles and adding Oola's trip in the Rancor pit are ok by me, the bigger stuff just disgusts me. Meanwhile, the movie's technical changes I feel for the most part were minimalistic and warranted, some could have been done better but they kept a lot of it pretty close to the original and it worked.

stillakid
09-10-2006, 03:51 PM
UPDATE 2 - StarWars.com has added the visual-changes guide for Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/release/video/f20060908/index.html), with a mere 97 entries.

The most disappointing part is that it seems that very little was done to improve the speeder bike chase. There were several shots in that sequence which were never very convincing. What's most annoying is that they spent time adding bluescreen real people into those distant Sail Barge shots but couldn't be bothered with the much more obvious problems with the speeder bikes. :(

stillakid
09-10-2006, 04:02 PM
UPDATE - the official site has added a similar visual-changes guide for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (http://www.starwars.com/episode-v/release/video/f20060901/index.html), with 151 entries. Since many of the entries involve getting rid of "garbage mattes", there is an explanation of what that means.

All the changes made sense, but I still object to the change in Vader's dialogue on Cloud City from the simple and angry "Bring my shuttle" and the addition of "shoeleather" shots of his shuttle going to the Destroyer. Those shots were just gratuitous nonsense.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2006, 04:12 PM
The most disappointing part is that it seems that very little was done to improve the speeder bike chase. There were several shots in that sequence which were never very convincing. What's most annoying is that they spent time adding bluescreen real people into those distant Sail Barge shots but couldn't be bothered with the much more obvious problems with the speeder bikes. :(
For once I actually agree with you. :p The speeder bike chase is too shaky in many places and should've been fixed. However I do like how they changed the cartoons on the sail barge to real people.

It seems like ROTJ had quite a few "new" shots or alternate takes added whereas the others didn't.

I wish they'd mentioned the audio changes as well, as there were several. Other websites have the changes listed but none are as complete as these slideshows, so I bet there were audio changes that people missed when making the lists.

2-1B
09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Why did they bother with the cables around Han's feet when the previous shot still shows him going overboard feet first? :confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Why did they bother with the cables around Han's feet when the previous shot still shows him going overboard feet first? :confused:
Because, cool as he is, he doesn't have the world's strongest toes, as the original version led us all to believe.

TheCivilCollector
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Because, cool as he is, he doesn't have the world's strongest toes, as the original version led us all to believe.

Ya know, that actually WAS something that always bothered me.

Really though, I kinda wish George would just put these films to bed and stop tweaking them. The 1997 SE should have been it. If he wants to keep screwing with Star Wars, he should give us episodes 7, 8, and 9.

2-1B
09-10-2006, 08:53 PM

Not what I was talking about. The current version of the film STILL shows the Han stunt guy going overboard holding the railing of the skiff with his hands...then they cut to him jolting to a stop facing head-down...it doesn't add up.

stillakid
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Not what I was talking about. The current version of the film STILL shows the Han stunt guy going overboard holding the railing of the skiff with his hands...then they cut to him jolting to a stop facing head-down...it doesn't add up.

Wait a minute!! You're right!! I'm beginning to think that this "Star Wars" thing is just fiction and that it really didn't happen "a long time ago..." :upset:

jeddah
09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Space sock, sorry, slug
B-wings flying away from Executor should have been included
The Emperor's floaty black slug thing on his hood was still there

Well, they're mine.

jeddah

JediTricks
09-11-2006, 05:11 PM
IMO, the speederbike chase is downright competent compared to the Rancor shots, and they actually DID work a little on those shots so they're just bad bad bad!

JEDIpartner
09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
I think the speeder chase looks bad when they have close-ups of the actors. The actors and the bikes look like they are just pasted into the shot. I think it would have been rather difficult to fix some of those shots due to the fact that you'd have to create full digital models of Carrie and Mark and that's a little tougher to do.

JediTricks
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
The majority of the non-close-up shots are actually of puppets, they're very effective IMO. For close-ups, they shouldn't change the actors and foreground elements, they should change the background comped-in moving plates to something more realistic, this wouldn't be that difficult if they still have the original elements - which I believe they do.

Jargo
10-05-2006, 08:24 PM
what's changed for me is that they're on DVD and in nice clear quality allowing me fantastic freezeframe opportunities where i can spot things i've never seen before. the blue and white R2 unit as the heroes hurry to docking bay 94 who has grey panels on his body and the snivvian in the brown tunic wearing wellington boots and the guy in the blue jacket who pops up about four times. and all the cantina patrons I've never spotted because copies on VHS have always been too dark.
Just tonight i spotted a second jabba the hutt henchman in the cantina sequence. on the left side near Danz Borin with the big burly bearded henchman is the pointy hatted one. Though now I'm looking for the third henchman and Jabba himself. in his human guise. don't know if I'll find them but the DVD certainly helps in looking.