PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Chicago

sebillba
08-28-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm coming to Chicago in three weeks time, staying in Wicker Park. This will be my 3rd visit, and on both previous occasions I've been to "Quake", as well as the usual Toys R Us, Walmart and Target. This year I'm also planning to check out another store I've found on the net called "Yesterday". Has anybody got any other recommendations for toy/collectors stores? I don't only collect Star Wars (though predominantly I do), but all sorts of other action figures and collectibles, both new and vintage. I won't have a car, but transport all over the city shouldn't be a problem.

bobafrett
08-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I was going to recommend "Alien Entertainment" but since you don't have a car, and it is in the Suburbs, it would be difficult or costly for you to get out there. It's on North Ave, In Villa Park, IL. In a little strip mall, can't remember the name of it off hand. They have a nice collection of stuff there.

sebillba
08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that, I've looked it up online, and it looks like a cool store, but a bit too much of a trek. Cheers anyway.

There's a couple of Walmarts were planning to go to... one on South Cicero Avenue and one on Des Plaines Avenue, Forest Park - are they both worth a visit?

Also, we love the Target on South Clark Street, but what are the other Chicago Targets like?

bobafrett
08-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Not sure, I mostly shop at the ones in my area, I've only been to one that was down the way from the WGN television studios, and it was like the others, except it was split onto two levels!

2-1B
08-30-2006, 01:40 AM
watch out for the Wicker Man.

sebillba
08-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Not sure, I mostly shop at the ones in my area, I've only been to one that was down the way from the WGN television studios, and it was like the others, except it was split onto two levels!

Sounds like the one I go to - it's the poshest Target I've ever been to, there's even a special escalator for the shopping trolleys! (I'm easily pleased!!)

bobafrett
08-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Sounds like the one I go to - it's the poshest Target I've ever been to, there's even a special escalator for the shopping trolleys! (I'm easily pleased!!)

Then you must try to go to Ikea, they have escalators for the shopping carts. I love it, plus I got a really cool glass cabinet there to display my GG mini busts!

sebillba
08-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Ah, but taking the cart up the escalator isn't so much fun when I can't fill it with toys on the next level! And as much as I'd love more cabinets, I don't think I'd get them in my suitcase! ;)

But if I happen to be passing Ikea on my travels, I'll definitely check it out.