PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe they have the gall to rehash LOTR on DVD?

General_Grievous
08-28-2006, 10:42 PM
In case you didn't know, New Line is rereleasing all three LOTR movies (both theatrical and extended versions) on DVD with new bonus features. This is ridiculous. What is a DVD completist like me to do? I already have the previous versions, but I'm a sucker for special features. Plus the packaging is pretty sweet. Maybe I should ask for this as a Christmas gift.

JimJamBonds
08-28-2006, 10:54 PM
I think I've heard this song and dance before in regards to SW. :D

El Chuxter
08-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Are you actually going to watch the bonus features? And will they add enough value to buying these films a third time? If you're like most of us, the answer is probably no.

figrin bran
08-29-2006, 01:05 AM
i've watched a great deal of the bonus features on the extended versions but without knowing what sort of features are on these upcoming versions, i have to draw the line and pass!

kool-aid killer
08-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Im passing. The only way Peter Jackson is going to get any more money from me is if (more like when, actually) the LOTR trilogy is released with lots more new footage. I know theyve got it, so its probably only a matter of time until that happens.

General_Grievous
08-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Im passing. The only way Peter Jackson is going to get any more money from me is if (more like when, actually) the LOTR trilogy is released with lots more new footage. I know theyve got it, so its probably only a matter of time until that happens.
That's what they should have done with this release. I've decided to pass on these. After all, they only seem to be here for folks who missed out on the previous DVDs.

UKWildcat
08-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Considering that I have all three of both the regular releases and the extended releases and haven't touched any bonus features on either; I'm skipping these. :pleased:

darthvyn
08-29-2006, 10:51 AM
that's low... and stupid. the extended are the only versions i own, and i'm quite content with them. i bet there are different bonus features on each of the new releases, too, so to get all the bonuses you'd have to buy four versions of the movies!

JON9000
08-29-2006, 01:05 PM
When Kill Bill made it to DVD in a barebones edition, one of their dumber executives gushed to a trade rag about maximizing DVD revenue. It went something like this:

"The movie is split in two, so we get double the box office. Then we get two DVD releases. We then sell them both together at christmas, then we release special editions, then a combined edition, then editions with a commentary track. It's called 'multiple bites at the apple', and we're gonna take 'em." We take the customer on a one hundred and fifty dollar ride.

What's a DVD completist to do? Get off the crack and realize the studios are taking you to the cleaners because they know you love their movie too much for your own good. Since you seem to be leaning that way anyway, good work!

I'm not buying anything again until it is HD and I have an HD monitor to play them on. Even then, I'm only probably repurchase a handful of films.

Rocketboy
08-29-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't own any of them and that is all the LOTR I need.
:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
08-29-2006, 01:27 PM
As far as the other features go, I do believe they are list at www.actionfigs.com .

That being said, I aint buying them again.

Jargo
08-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Who the hell would want the theatrical releases anyway? they're only half movies. Even the EE versions are jumpy and badly edited in places. scene transitions especially. In my opinion NW would do better to spend their time and efforts producing the HD versions with deleted scenes and trims re-instated. fix the audio problems. speed up the convoluted ending on ROTK. bang all the special features from the EE and throw these documentaries on disks of their own with a full OS disk with every note of music recorded. then release it as a final deluxe edition.

yet, I wouldn't even do that until The Hobbit has been made. add that to the set and it'd be the ultimate DVD boxed set.

Nobody wants multiple releases. people want the best release that money can buy and I for one am prepared to wait for such a time when it's possible and achievable.

This release is just shameless exploitation. And you just know those documentaries will be hitting the peer to peer networks anyway. They should have saved them. waited for a better time. schmucks.

2-1B
08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
What's a completist to do? Stop being a completist. :)

JediTricks
08-30-2006, 04:37 PM
What you do is rent the new ones from Netflix, watch 'em, and send 'em back. It's an annoyance to buy all these different discs, I knew when the first sets came out that I was gonna wait for the EEs, I did, and that's it for me - if they come out with a few new features, I'll borrow them and watch the features, then send them back. I know one of my friends actually copies the features he wants even, but I'm pretty sure that's not legal (good thing I don't have a DVD burner to worry about such choices :p).

pbarnard
08-30-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm happy with just extended editions. The boxes are a nice book design. The Mail away holder for all three binds them...

Box art not that impressive. Only positive thing is that it does take up less room on the shelf.

2-1B
08-31-2006, 12:02 AM
What you do is rent the new ones from Netflix, watch 'em, and send 'em back.

That's exactly what I do! :)

Well, except you can swap out the word "watch" for "burn" and then add "watch" to the end of the statement with the clarification that they are watched several months down the road. lol

UKWildcat
08-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Well, except you can swap out the word "watch" for "burn" and then add "watch" to the end of the statement with the clarification that they are watched several months down the road. lol

Tssk...tssk...tssk... ;)

scruffziller
08-31-2006, 08:04 AM
That's exactly what I do! :)

Oh Wise One of the loophole, I am yours to serve.:D

Yea good ol' NETFLIX, its the best. I am not a completist, but an ultimtist. I want to own the absolute best version of the movie. Within a reasonable time frame. Since I don't own a TV that will display 1080p I will hold off on the BLU-Ray editions for now.

"The movie is split in two, so we get double the box office. Then we get two DVD releases. We then sell them both together at christmas, then we release special editions, then a combined edition, then editions with a commentary track. It's called 'multiple bites at the apple', and we're gonna take 'em." We take the customer on a one hundred and fifty dollar ride.

That is certainly the formula that Georgie Boy has been using.

Kidhuman
09-01-2006, 09:46 AM
As far as the other features go, I do believe they are list at www.actionfigs.com .

That being said, I aint buying them again.

I changed my mind, I never bought the EE version and saw em for 20 bucks so I got em.

bigbarada
09-07-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm kind of torn on this set, the only reason I'm considering buying it is because I like the idea of having the EE's on one disc. I never really liked having to switch out DVDs in the middle of the film.

However, is it such an inconvenience that I want to spend $60 for yet another copy of these movies?

I bought all of the EE's as they came out and ended up giving them to my dad, then I spend $90 for the boxed EE set. On top of buying all the theatrical release DVDs and VHS tapes.

I dunno, maybe ol' Pete has enough of my money. :stupid:

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm kind of torn on this set, the only reason I'm considering buying it is because I like the idea of having the EE's on one disc. I never really liked having to switch out DVDs in the middle of the film.

However, is it such an inconvenience that I want to spend $60 for yet another copy of these movies?

I bought all of the EE's as they came out and ended up giving them to my dad, then I spend $90 for the boxed EE set. On top of buying all the theatrical release DVDs and VHS tapes.

I dunno, maybe ol' Pete has enough of my money. :stupid:
Since you already own the EEs, why not just burn each movie onto a DVD-r and strip out the commentary track and other extraneous audio tracks to make it fit on 1 disc? This isn't illegal since you own the original and are not distributing those copies. I mean, for $60 you could buy the DVD-burner to do it and then you'd have the movies on 1 disc each AND own yourself a DVD-burner too. :p

DarkArtist
09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
In case you didn't know, New Line is rereleasing all three LOTR movies (both theatrical and extended versions) on DVD with new bonus features. This is ridiculous. What is a DVD completist like me to do? I already have the previous versions, but I'm a sucker for special features. Plus the packaging is pretty sweet. Maybe I should ask for this as a Christmas gift.

I just saw this thread and thought that another title in another forum "Could You believe they have the gall to re-release the Star Wars OT on DVD again" I mean the bottom line is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

pbarnard
09-07-2006, 09:38 PM
I think Jackson and Lucas are in a competition to see who can bilk their fanboys the most. We know there's some sort of collusion/admiration between the two, right?

Kidhuman
09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Lucas wins hands down, he has 6 movies and a huge lead on PJ in the re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release department&

2-1B
09-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Give ol' Petes a break, GLu has a 2+ decade jump on him in terms of release dates...Pete'll catch up. :D

JediTricks
09-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Peter's LOTR trilogy has more allover good movies in it than the Star Wars saga, both in number and in percentages (3 out of 3 vs 2 out of 6) :p

2-1B
09-08-2006, 02:59 PM
The LOTR movies may be good overall but if we break it down by movie chapters, there are enough duds to make for an interesting mathematical equation. lol

JediTricks
09-08-2006, 04:33 PM
If we break it down minute by minute we still get SW on the losing end of that argument. :p Over 8 hours between the prequels and ROTJ, that's 480 bad minutes. ;)

bigbarada
09-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Since you already own the EEs, why not just burn each movie onto a DVD-r and strip out the commentary track and other extraneous audio tracks to make it fit on 1 disc? This isn't illegal since you own the original and are not distributing those copies. I mean, for $60 you could buy the DVD-burner to do it and then you'd have the movies on 1 disc each AND own yourself a DVD-burner too. :p

I just picked up a new iMac yesterday with a DVD burner, plus I downloaded Macintosh's DVD ripping software (called 'Mac the Ripper':rolleyes: ). So I guess this is a possibility. HOwever, maybe I'll just rip the files off the DVDs, convert them to Quicktime movies and save them on an external FireWire drive and just eliminate the whole disc thing altogether. :yes:

JEDIpartner
09-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Geee... Peter Jackson IS the new George Lucas!!!

JimJamBonds
09-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Peter's LOTR trilogy has more allover good movies in it than the Star Wars saga, both in number and in percentages (3 out of 3 vs 2 out of 6) :p

My favorite LOTR movie? The one where its goes something like this: movie starts "crap the Hobbit took the orb there is going to be a fight".... lets get ready to fight.... hey its fighting time... roll credits.

2-1B
09-14-2006, 06:41 PM
My fave LOTR flick is the first one since it had the least amount of Gollum...man do I hate that annoying f***. lol lol lol

He's more Jar Jar than Jar Jar. :crazed:

Kidhuman
09-14-2006, 07:29 PM
My favorite LOTR movie? The one where its goes something like this: movie starts "crap the Hobbit took the orb there is going to be a fight".... lets get ready to fight.... hey its fighting time... roll credits.

Return of the King eh? Awesome movie, just watched it this week. Probably my favorite one too&

JimJamBonds
09-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Return of the King eh? Awesome movie, just watched it this week. Probably my favorite one too&

Yeah I love that movie as well SINCE THEY DON'T SHOW THE BAD GUY AT ALL!!!

:Sarcasm:

JON9000
09-15-2006, 02:51 PM
I sense a lot of disdain towards Pete for making this re-release. People make movies to make money, folks. Alan Ladd gave GL money to go and make more money. New Line bet the house on Pete because they thought it was worth the risk.

If fanboys act like an ATM with their pockets turned out, you expect the business not to take it? Like you wouldn't. lol