PDA

View Full Version : ELO warning!!!!!!

Darth Cruel
08-29-2006, 09:58 PM
My buddy told me that he had 2 figures split open because of the ELO. One split at the seam because the ELO dissolved the glue (which it is supposed to do), but he also had a Sandtrooper split right down the middle of the front of the chest because the ELO may have made the plastic brittle. I have not experienced this yet but everyone needs to be careful. And if anyone has a problem with it...this is the place to post it!

El Chuxter
08-29-2006, 10:23 PM
The ELO dissolved the glue? Man, I didn't realize their music was that bad! :crazed:

figrin bran
08-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Darth Cruel, where do you buy easy lift off anyhow? i searched just about every aisle at michael's but didn't find it.

JEDIpartner
08-30-2006, 08:42 AM
The ELO dissolved the glue? Man, I didn't realize their music was that bad! :crazed:

Ooooh... I LOVED ELO!!! I had no idea what the heck this thread was about when I saw the title of it! I still don't really other than whatever it is acts as a kind of solvent!

LOL

JimJamBonds
08-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I thought this was a thread about Electric Light Orchestra. :(

jedi master sal
08-30-2006, 11:59 AM
My buddy told me that he had 2 figures split open because of the ELO. One split at the seam because the ELO dissolved the glue (which it is supposed to do), but he also had a Sandtrooper split right down the middle of the front of the chest because the ELO may have made the plastic brittle. I have not experienced this yet but everyone needs to be careful. And if anyone has a problem with it...this is the place to post it!

Huh, strangely enough, those EXACT same thigns happened to two of my Sandtroopers. One split in two places on the chest armor and another trooper completely broke apart at the waist. Nothing I can't fix for either one, but it still sucks.

I reccommend SPARINGLY use ELO. Don't go all out and try to get the sand paint off in one wash. you just need a drop on a q-tip and can lightly lift the paint off without this happening. In the case of the two that broke on me, it was a case of trying to do too much too quickly and I applied to much ELO.

So I'd say that's probably the problem. f you use it sparingly you shouldn't have a problem. (But I'm going to go back and check those other ones I've "cleaned" just to be certain and I'll post results here.)

-Sal

mtriv73
08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
I saw ELO open for Van Halen on their 5150 tour. No wait, that was BTO. Nevermind.

figrin bran
08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
so where does one buy this easy lift off stuff anyhow?

plasticfetish
08-31-2006, 12:57 AM
"Out of the Blue" is a great album, and Jeff Lynne is a brilliant musician... but apparently he's bad for plastic. :confused:

El Chuxter
08-31-2006, 02:26 AM
"Out of the Blue" is a great album, and Jeff Lynne is a brilliant musician... but apparently he's bad for plastic. :confused:

He's a fine producer, too. Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever is easily one of the best albums of all time.

Kidhuman
08-31-2006, 07:01 AM
I thought this was a thread about Electric Light Orchestra. :(

Ditto &

JEDIpartner
09-01-2006, 10:33 AM

That Sandtrooper must've been Horace Wimp. :o

stillakid
09-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I whacked one of my figures with ELO's boxset and it was just fine. I even tried cranking up "Turn to Stone" and nothing happened. :confused: Are you guys rubbing the CDs all over the figures or what? I don't get it.

figrin bran
09-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Darth Cruel, how about answering the darn question about where do you buy Easy Lift Off? and stop using such a misleading abbreviation for it - i know you and Sal are doing it deliberately&! ;)

Darth Cruel
09-01-2006, 01:44 PM
LOL - Sorry FB. I am finding ELO (not Electric Light Orchestra although they are awesome) at a local model-building shop. This shop carries pretty much anything needed for model cars, electric trains, RC cars and planes...etc, etc. Even though it is big, it is not a national chain. But if you have a store like that near you, they may have it. If not, I am more than happy to get it for you and send it out. I have already asked the owner of the store to stock more because he only sold about 2 bottles of it a week before I showed up.

And for anyone who wants some (or some more if I have already sent some to you), besides the small 3 or 4 oz glass bottle, they also have larger tin containers of it. They are about a pint (give or take...maybe 1/2 pint) and are in one of the tin type cans sorta like the ones charcoal lighter fluid USED to come in only these have a twist-on/off cap and not a flip-up nozzle. Anybody who wants some and can not find it need only ask me via post in the forum, PM, or email and I will be glad to help out.

Edit - By the way FB - That shop is near I and 15th in Lancaster. A little bit of a drive for you. 80-100 miles I think. Maybe not quite that far.

Reefer Shark
09-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey FB,
You can get it locally at a place called Kit Kraft (on Laurel Canyon near Ventura). I went there to get some a few weeks ago, and all they had were the bigger cans of it. The clerk there told me they usually stock the smaller bottles too.

figrin bran
09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
hey "sharky", thanks for the tip! the only thing is that it isn't really all that local for me since i don't live in the valley but in land of JT adjacent.

El Chuxter
09-02-2006, 11:42 AM
I found my ELO CDs at Wherehouse and Best Buy, but I've seen them just about everywhere.

plasticfetish
09-02-2006, 03:27 PM
...yeah, I picked up my ELO disks at a local shop.

Reefer Shark's right BTW... Kit Kraft rocks. (I wonder if Jeff Lynne would shop there.)

mastermatt24
09-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Sucks for you guys but I still think its kinda funny. Whats wrong with normal paint remover and the q tip?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I think they get my vote for the coolest fros of any white group of musicians. :thumbsup:

Dominic Guglieme
09-17-2006, 03:29 PM
I can add to DC's warning.

I used ELO on a Minicon recently, and the plastic came apart, and not just on seams. Chunks just fell out, leaving the MInicon's shoulder in pieces, and leaving the lil' fella armless.

My guess is that the plastic was porous, and it absorbed the ELO which went on to dissolve the plastic from within.