PDA

View Full Version : My son asked me a good one about the Return Of The Jedi

Darth Instigator
08-30-2006, 07:30 PM
He said does it mean that Luke returned from where he was ( i forget exactly ) or does it refer to the Jedis returning to power? Or does is refer to Vader sort of coming back to the Jedis, by fullfilling the prophecy? I thought it was quite insightful for an 8 year old. Go easy too, I know you guys take this stuff real serious. I am going to bring the opinions here back to him.

pbarnard
08-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Go with the last two for certain (and find him activities that'll push him beyond his school work). It also means for the first time in a generation there is/will be a new Jedi Knight on the scene.

seanmcfripp
08-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Since Lucas is rumored to have originally wanted the film to be called "Revenge of the Jedi," I'll say that the title refers more to the Jedi handing the Sith their collective a$$es after laying low for 20 years. Tell your son about the "Revenge of Kahn" thing with Star Trek, and that's why they wanted to change the title (at least I think that's all true...aren't there some examples of early merchandizing items for the movie with "Revenge" on them?).

Kidhuman
08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
I do believe it meant the Jedi returning to power. I dont believe it had anyting to do with Vader "returning" to the good side. &

El Chuxter
08-30-2006, 08:48 PM
The Jedi returning from seeming extinction. That's the way I always interpreted it, and always will be.

stillakid
08-30-2006, 08:52 PM
The Jedi returning from seeming extinction. That's the way I always interpreted it, and always will be.

I second that. I don't think that it referred to anyone specifically.

JimJamBonds
08-30-2006, 10:45 PM
All of the above.

2-1B
08-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Return of the Jedi Order.

As a wee lad I thought it meant Return of Luke since the crawl says Luke has returned to his home planet of Tatooine...and in my defense, he does refer to himself as a Jedi Knight for awhile before Yoda puts him in his place later in the film.

I'm having deja vu, I feel like I've made this post before...

Darth Instigator
08-30-2006, 11:29 PM
oh shush, must you always make a comment, lol. I think it is quite inquisitive for my son to have made the reference though as it made me think.

2-1B
08-31-2006, 12:19 AM
It wasn't a "comment" in the way you took it, I really meant that as I was typing it I thought it felt familiar...like I was making the same post. :)
I'd be curious to know if it was deja vu or just good memory. :D

decadentdave
08-31-2006, 02:11 AM
Since Lucas is rumored to have originally wanted the film to be called "Revenge of the Jedi," I'll say that the title refers more to the Jedi handing the Sith their collective a$$es after laying low for 20 years.

If that were the case then it would have been more appropriate to call it something like "The Jedi Strikes Back" or "Attack of the Jedi" but we never do see Luke handing the Sith their "collective a$$es" in fact, Luke is on the ground begging for his father to save his life and it is Vader who overthrows the Emperor so it could be argued that the title does refer to Anakin's "return" to the Jedi. It's a triple entendre (Luke returns as a Jedi Knight, the Jedi Order returns and defeats the Sith, and the return of Anakin to the Jedi).

2-1B
08-31-2006, 02:18 AM
Sounds like a Trifecta, to me. :thumbsup:

stillakid
08-31-2006, 07:50 AM
If that were the case then it would have been more appropriate to call it something like "The Jedi Strikes Back" or "Attack of the Jedi" but we never do see Luke handing the Sith their "collective a$$es" in fact, Luke is on the ground begging for his father to save his life and it is Vader who overthrows the Emperor so it could be argued that the title does refer to Anakin's "return" to the Jedi. It's a triple entendre (Luke returns as a Jedi Knight, the Jedi Order returns and defeats the Sith, and the return of Anakin to the Jedi).

Nah, I think Sean's right. Your hypothetical titles bear striking similarity to Lucas' original, Revenge of the Jedi, at least in terms of tone and intent. But "Revenge" was reportedly scrapped because Jedi are not supposed to "attack," certainly not in any vengeful way. So "Return" could be construed as referring specifically to Luke, but I'd wager that Lucas didn't put that much thought into it. But what the hell do any of us know? :D

DarkArtist
08-31-2006, 08:52 AM
my thoughts were always based on Anakin returning from the Dark Side and Luke finally becoming a new Jedi Knight. And if you wanted to bring EU into the fold in the novel Heir to the Empire... Obi Wan tells Luke that he is not the last of the old but the first of the new Jedi.

JimJamBonds
08-31-2006, 08:55 AM
It wasn't a "comment" in the way you took it, I really meant that as I was typing it I thought it felt familiar...like I was making the same post. :)
I'd be curious to know if it was deja vu or just good memory. :D

I bet its due to the rumor that you spent time on Dagobah as a kid.

decadentdave
08-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Nah, I think Sean's right. Your hypothetical titles bear striking similarity to Lucas' original, Revenge of the Jedi, at least in terms of tone and intent. But "Revenge" was reportedly scrapped because Jedi are not supposed to "attack," certainly not in any vengeful way. So "Return" could be construed as referring specifically to Luke, but I'd wager that Lucas didn't put that much thought into it. But what the hell do any of us know? :D

Yes I know I was using those cheezy titles as examples to show why Sean was incorrect. Jedi's do not take "Revenge" therefore the analysis of the "Return" was to show that it has a triple connotation. Now Lucas may only have originally considered that it refers to the Jedi Order returning after their near-extinction by the Sith but it really can be interpreted from three different "points of view" as Obi-Wan would say: "The return of Luke, the return of the Jedi Order and the return of Anakin to the Jedi." All three are
acceptable meanings.

2-1B
08-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I bet its due to the rumor that you spent time on Dagobah as a kid.

Indeed, I went there for a little while when they dropped off Yoda on our way to Alderaan and Tatooine.

While there, Yoda performed my bris with his lightsaber.

Darth Instigator
08-31-2006, 01:40 PM
nice, thanks guys for the responses, I will let him know and thanks Ceasar, you know I was kidding.

JediTricks
08-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Lucas has changed the history behind the title's meaning so many times I honestly don't think we'll ever know for sure (I doubt even Lucas *really* knows at this point). I'm not really sure, "the Jedi" could be Luke or the order or both, even that Anakin thing isn't totally ruled out.

Kidhuman
08-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, even thugh anakin is a sith, wouldnt he still be an evil jedi? So him returning to the jedi would be ruled out on that alone right?&

pbarnard
08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, even thugh anakin is a sith, wouldnt he still be an evil jedi? So him returning to the jedi would be ruled out on that alone right?&

(Un)Fortunately, as one Jedi said depending on your point of view, there is plenty of EU Jedi who go dark, get redeemed etc. Redemption of Dark Jedi is a major game mechanic in the d20 Star Wars RPG by Wizards of the Coast. So it wouldn't be ruled out entirely. He may no longer be Sith, but he may still be tainted, and thus tempted stronger by the Dark Side than others, but a return to the light is not impossible.

seanmcfripp
09-03-2006, 09:59 AM
...or does it refer to the Jedis returning...

Sheeps, datas, deers, mooses, yous...what else did I forget?

bobafrett
09-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Sheeps, datas, deers, mooses, yous...what else did I forget?

ducks, you forgot ducks.

Luuuuuuke
09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I actually think the term "Jedi" in the movie title is used in a plural form. I think the movie title is an almost wistful reference to both Luke and Anakin. With Anakin's return to the good side, the Jedi returned. It's bitter sweet.

(though for the life of me, as hard as I try, I just don't see how Anakin could ever make up for all the evil he wrought: he's a mass murder, a child murderer, a wife murderer.. geesh, that's a lot of baggage).