PDA

View Full Version : edit on Return of the Jedi

Darth Instigator
08-30-2006, 08:33 PM
We were watching Return Of The Jedi for the second time in two days and my 8 year old pointed out an edit. When in the Death Star and Sidious is talking to Luke everytime they show Sidious there is an obvious (now after it was pointed out) on the left side of his face near his hood. It is a thick black line, anyone else see this? We have the original Trilogy set on VHS, I didn't get around to the DVD's yet. What is it blocking?

seanmcfripp
08-30-2006, 08:59 PM
If I understand what you're talking about, then I'm pretty sure that's just a matte line against the "space" background effects shot (or was the space battle outside the windows of the set a real time projection for those scenes?). Or if you're talking about his actual face, then I'll just chalk it up to a bad make-up job. There's also a funny drape to the hood when he turns his head a certain way, which casts odd shadows at times. Looks to me like the hood is fixed to his head in a particular way to ensure the face is "framed" consistently. Again, I think this causes it to hang in ways that aren't consistent with the normal effects of gravity, so the shadows look funny.

Now if by "edit" you mean "black censor bar thingy," then no, I've never seen that in any version I've ever watched. If there is in fact a black bar over part of his face, and I'm just not seeing it, I'm sure it's not there to hide or "block" anything of significance...unless you consider an Ian McDiarmid herpes outbreak something of consequence.

Darth Instigator
08-30-2006, 09:34 PM
no i mean an obviously CGI related black line meant to look like the edge of the roge around his face on the left side. It is not a mistake but why?

El Chuxter
08-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Might've been the clean-up on the "slugs."

Kidhuman
08-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Might've been the clean-up on the "slugs."

He missed when applying his Head On. &

Rocketboy
08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
That little blob on the right side Palp's hood has bugged the **** out of me for years.
They softened it a little for the DVDs, but it is still noticeable.
It's worse than the disappearing/reappearing smudges on Vader's helmet.

2-1B
08-31-2006, 12:56 AM
"Sidious"? I love your use of the preferred nomenclature. :)

JimJamBonds
08-31-2006, 09:57 AM

I'm a big fan of "Charlotte."

Darth Instigator
08-31-2006, 02:22 PM
That little blob on the right side Palp's hood has bugged the **** out of me for years.
They softened it a little for the DVDs, but it is still noticeable.
It's worse than the disappearing/reappearing smudges on Vader's helmet.yes! sorry right side of sidious' face but left side of the screen

Slicker
08-31-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm quite sure that was added in post production because there was a light inside the hood of the cloak to illuminate his face and you could tell where the source was coming from.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-31-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm quite sure that was added in post production because there was a light inside the hood of the cloak to illuminate his face and you could tell where the source was coming from.
Yup, and as was mentioned, they covered them up with poor-looking black smudges, getting the name "Emperor's slugs." They are extremely noticeable on the 1983 and 1997 versions, but are more or less gone from the 2004 versions (which are coming out again in a week and a half).

Rocketboy
08-31-2006, 04:40 PM
They have been toned down some, but they are still easily visible in the 04's.

JEDIpartner
09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm a big fan of "Charlotte."

Oh, it's the return of CHARLOTTE!!! :thumbsup:

Didn't someone lovingly refer to that as "Palpatine's special little friend" once?

Darth Instigator
09-01-2006, 05:43 PM
ahh ok, I didn't know that thanks

seanmcfripp
09-01-2006, 08:55 PM

Ya know, I almost brought this up myself, but I didn't want to get into it with anyone. But you can't just leave well enough alone, can you?

2-1B
09-01-2006, 11:52 PM
"Donnie, please."

seanmcfripp
09-02-2006, 02:46 PM
"Donnie, please."
So we agree to substitute "Sidious" with "Asian American?" I can live that.

2-1B
09-02-2006, 03:57 PM
So we agree to substitute "Sidious" with "Asian American?" I can live that.

"Were you listening to The Dude's story, Sean-y? WERE YOU LISTENING TO THE DUDE'S STORY!? So you really have no frame of reference here do you? You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a thread..."

:grin: