PDA

View Full Version : What's that about a Star Trek Special Edition ?

2-1B
08-31-2006, 04:41 AM
I saw this on IMDb's news list, they cited Digital Bits in saying:

'Star Trek' May Go Where It Went Before
Rumors sped at light speed on the Internet Tuesday that Paramount is working on an enhanced version of the original 79 Star Trek episodes that it plans to sell as a syndication package to broadcast stations. According to the reports, state-of-the-art visual effects will replace those in the series, new music will be added, and the show will be offered in high definition. Presumably, the new series will also be packaged for sale on high-definition DVD after the syndication package airs. The website DigitalBits, however, observed that "rather than going with a proven effects house, CBS has chosen to do the new CG work in-house. One hopes that they've got someone with REAL Trek effects experience and knowledge involved in the effort -- and they they're taking care to preserve the look and feel of the original shots."

This ought to spark up some debate among the show's fans.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

El Chuxter
08-31-2006, 12:04 PM
I understand that the Romulans shot first.

Jargo
08-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Dammit Jim - I'm a doctor not a digital effects artist!

Enemy wessels pixellating captain...

Droid
08-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Terrible idea. Terrible, terrible.

bigbarada
08-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Considering how the original series has been available in it's entirety on either VHS or DVD for years and years, I don't think this is really a big deal. Hardcore Trekkers will undoubtedly already have the entire collection of episodes in some form, so this will just be a way to inject a little bit of new life into the show.

It's got to be better than that silly Trek 2.0 garbage on G4, and if those commercials don't tick-off hardcore Star Trek fans then I don't think anything will.

decadentdave
08-31-2006, 06:06 PM
I welcome the new digital effects. I was very pleased with the enhancements done to Star Trek the Motion Picture for its DVD release. I think new CGI effects will make the original series look less dated and make the effects something really special considering they are just CGI renderings of the original models. I can't wait to see Balance of Terror with enhanced effects and just think what they could do with The Doomsday Machine! It won't look like a paper mache kaleidoscope anymore!

Rogue II
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Is it possible to convert old footage into HD?

Anyway, it's good to know that the Star Trek fans aren't exempt from getting milked on DVDs like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings fans.

JediTricks
08-31-2006, 10:26 PM
I welcome the new digital effects. I was very pleased with the enhancements done to Star Trek the Motion Picture for its DVD release. I think new CGI effects will make the original series look less dated and make the effects something really special considering they are just CGI renderings of the original models. I can't wait to see Balance of Terror with enhanced effects and just think what they could do with The Doomsday Machine! It won't look like a paper mache kaleidoscope anymore!TMP was supervised by the original director who wanted to ensure the integrity of the project, so much so that his new FX team was instructed to only use looks and techniques that mimicked the work from the original version right down to the grain of the "film". It helped that TMP also wasn't finished when it hit theaters, the director - acclaimed Oscar-winner Robert Wise - had more shots and edits and concepts that just didn't make the deadline due to setbacks going back as far as before he joined the project, so he always knew there was a better movie in there.

This is the second time they've considered doing this to TOS, I don't exactly have a problem with it if it's done right but I fear they will go overboard, that's what worked so well with ST:TMP is the respect for the integrity of the material and the restraint in needless changes that Wise and his new crew had for the project. One of the things that makes me nervous though is the notion of changing the music, the music is one of the things I think works best about TOS, it's not that constant, drab "sonic wallpaper" that the post-TNG Trek universe suffers, it's brash and emotive only at the right times just like the stars of the series itself.

LTBasker
09-01-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm interested in seeing updated effects but dunno about their people doing it, I'm worried it will be on par with sci-fi channel's exclusive movies. In general though I would like to see TOS, TNG and DS9 updated with smoother effects, some of the stuff they had to do was a little out of their league at the time.

JimJamBonds
09-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Are you a fan of the show C or are you just posting that as an fyi???

BountyHunterScum
09-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Terrible idea. Terrible, terrible.

Ive seen the SFX they are ****ing great they literally made everything look a billion times better.

Here is a little taste.

http://www.trekenhanced.com/

BountyHunterScum
09-01-2006, 01:19 AM
TMP was supervised by the original director who wanted to ensure the integrity of the project, so much so that his new FX team was instructed to only use looks and techniques that mimicked the work from the original version right down to the grain of the "film". It helped that TMP also wasn't finished when it hit theaters, the director - acclaimed Oscar-winner Robert Wise - had more shots and edits and concepts that just didn't make the deadline due to setbacks going back as far as before he joined the project, so he always knew there was a better movie in there.

This is the second time they've considered doing this to TOS, I don't exactly have a problem with it if it's done right but I fear they will go overboard, that's what worked so well with ST:TMP is the respect for the integrity of the material and the restraint in needless changes that Wise and his new crew had for the project. One of the things that makes me nervous though is the notion of changing the music, the music is one of the things I think works best about TOS, it's not that constant, drab "sonic wallpaper" that the post-TNG Trek universe suffers, it's brash and emotive only at the right times just like the stars of the series itself.

Jedi the guy did an amazing job with the Doomsday machine and the Constellation. they look ultra realistic the Constellation even has plasma leaking and glowing battle damage.

2-1B
09-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Are you a fan of the show C or are you just posting that as an fyi???

Nope, never got into the original (much like MASH :grin: ) but TNG grabbed me when I was 9 years old. Other than that one show, I don't follow Star Trek. :)

Well, I do own Trekkies and Trekkies 2 on DVD but that's another story.

JimJamBonds
09-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Nope, never got into the original (much like MASH :grin: ) but TNG grabbed me when I was 9 years old. Other than that one show, I don't follow Star Trek. :)

Well, I do own Trekkies and Trekkies 2 on DVD but that's another story.

Same here, didn't we watch some of Trekkies and/or T:2 one time?

Jargo
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Looking at the work this guy has done I would say it doesn't mess up the look of the show. it's simply adding in a little dynamic to effects that wasn't possible all those many moons ago.

There again I'm not a Trek purist. I'd be quite happy to have the entire OS remade. I don't have anything against the OS but for me it doesn't make for a good transition now they went and did that turkey Enterprise show. How do you go from Enterprise to the OS to TNG? Doesn't work.

Fair enough this project is interesting and seems to be sympathetic to the OS. But if they did redo the OS I'd probably end up preferring that. It would have to be an episode by episode remake though. similar scripts, plots, locations. More in the vein of TMP really.

bigbarada
09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Ive seen the SFX they are ****ing great they literally made everything look a billion times better.

Here is a little taste.

I like it, I don't own any of the original series on DVD, but this will most likely be the set that I buy.

BountyHunterScum
09-02-2006, 01:14 AM
I like it, I don't own any of the original series on DVD, but this will most likely be the set that I buy.

I absolutely would buy the enhanced TOS complete series.

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 01:51 AM

Here is a little taste.

Jedi the guy did an amazing job with the Doomsday machine and the Constellation. they look ultra realistic the Constellation even has plasma leaking and glowing battle damage.He is not involved with this new project unfortunately, he is the one who pushed hard for it but in the end did not get the job, you can see confirmation of that in the current blog entry linked from the site's main page. He's also the FX supervisor on the ST:TMP revision that Paramount let Robert Wise do a few years back, so I've already praised his work. ;)

There again I'm not a Trek purist. I'd be quite happy to have the entire OS remade. I don't have anything against the OS but for me it doesn't make for a good transition now they went and did that turkey Enterprise show. How do you go from Enterprise to the OS to TNG? Doesn't work.That's a failing on Enterprise's part, not TOS's.

decadentdave
09-02-2006, 03:02 AM
That's a failing on Enterprise's part, not TOS's.

No, that's a failing on Rick Berman's and Brannon Braga's part. I hold each of them individually responsible for the death of the Trek franchise. Why is it that some producer named RICK is always responsible for the downfall of a beloved pop cultural science fiction franchise? Berman/McCallum... could they be one and the same? Hmmmm...

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Enterprise was a failing on Rick Berman's part, but so was Voyager.

JEDIpartner
09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
TMP was supervised by the original director who wanted to ensure the integrity of the project, so much so that his new FX team was instructed to only use looks and techniques that mimicked the work from the original version right down to the grain of the "film". It helped that TMP also wasn't finished when it hit theaters, the director - acclaimed Oscar-winner Robert Wise - had more shots and edits and concepts that just didn't make the deadline due to setbacks going back as far as before he joined the project, so he always knew there was a better movie in there.

Well... this is more of a movie-related question but it was touched upon here. So, how IS the director's cut version of ST:TMP? I've been wondering that for years. None of the local video shops have it for rental and the resale shops never seem to have that one on the shelf. What is different about the film as a whole?

BountyHunterScum
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Well... this is more of a movie-related question but it was touched upon here. So, how IS the director's cut version of ST:TMP? I've been wondering that for years. None of the local video shops have it for rental and the resale shops never seem to have that one on the shelf. What is different about the film as a whole?

It blows away the previous version with all new exterior shots and SFX. They redid alot of the movie itself.

JediTricks
09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Apparently the SE version of "Balance of Terror" will be airing this weekend in the syndication timeslot that Enterprise normally runs in, it's the only TOS:SE ep ready to go at this point. In LA, it'll be running Sunday night into Monday Morning at 12:05am (Ent's awful timeslot), I'll definitely be watching.

Well... this is more of a movie-related question but it was touched upon here. So, how IS the director's cut version of ST:TMP? I've been wondering that for years. None of the local video shops have it for rental and the resale shops never seem to have that one on the shelf. What is different about the film as a whole?It is largely the same in terms of storytelling, the pacing is changed a little and they added a few scenes from the extended videotape version (not all). The real fixes are the crappy sound effects and audio recordings being better, and a good number of new or enhanced FX shots to better explain premises (we get a much better idea of what V'ger's ship looks like; when the Enterprise pulls up to the main V'ger complex and the away team walks out the top, blocks start assembling to form a bridge). I liked TMP to begin with, and this improves upon that in a lot of good ways without compromising the movie, but it doesn't fundamentally change the film's tone so anybody who outright hated the original won't like the new version.

... if only they could have digitally changed their uniforms. :p

Jargo
09-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I like the way the uniform fitted Decker. Mmmmmm. He wore it well.

Though some explanation for the crazy sidestep in uniform styles might have helped. There again with any organisation new people come in at the top with crazy notions that are tried, fail and ultimately abandoned. So it's not that much of a stretch to assume similar happened with starfleet.

Lord Malakite
09-17-2006, 01:48 PM
So did anyone catch Balance of Terror SE? I saw it last night. Overall the changes in the episode didn't seem subtract anything from the episode. If anything the new exterior shots from space seemed to improve the episode some. I did find it funny that they used the original neutral zone map on screen when they could have easily updated it as well. The only problem with this episode is that they are on the Enterprise for the entire episode so with the exception of exterior shots there isn't much difference to the original episode. The true test as to whether or not these SE episodes are better improved will be when we get some alien world action and we start to see how the background paintings and aliens like the Gorn are (if any) updated with CG. For now though I'll say the Star Trek SE episodes are a tasteful improvement over the originals.

pbarnard
09-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I must have missed it/was last week. They were already showing another episode, Miri, here.

stillakid
09-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Is it possible to convert old footage into HD?

Trek was shot on film, so it isn't as if they are up-ressing standard def video. It's nearly identical to a modern film being transferred to a digital HD format (4:4:4) to go through the Digital Intermediate process, similar to the "old style" timing session.

I don't know anything about previous transfers to tape or DVD, but I'm sure that these will look much better (new effects and such aside).

El Chuxter
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Call me nuts, but I'm not a Trekkie, so I don't know, but doesn't making the special effects look decent by today's standards somehow go against the basis of Star Trek? Isn't the unintentional campiness part of the appeal? Are they honestly transferring the mediocre acting, cheap costumes, etc, to brilliantly lush backgrounds?

I'm not on board, but not for the reasons I think the SW:SE's let down. Those were cutting edge at the time, and improving them with the input of the original director makes some sense. Redoing an ancient TV series (face it, not much newer than I Love Lucy in the grand scheme of things) after the creator and much of the cast have died; to me it seems wrong.

2-1B
09-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Good point Chux, they can change the cheesy effects but they can't change the cheesy acting...in that regard I think the "quality" of the show will suffer. lol

stillakid
09-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Good point Chux, they can change the cheesy effects but they can't change the cheesy acting...in that regard I think the "quality" of the show will suffer. lol

The SW Prequels have the same issue. :D

2-1B
09-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Agreed, plus I'd add most of ANH, some of ESB, and a few chunks of ROTJ as well. lol

JediTricks
09-18-2006, 04:20 PM
I caught it last night, I thought the color quality was exceptional on the interior shots, I didn't like the new credits text, and much of the FX shots weren't really worth the time and effort, with only a few new inspired shots of the ships to bring it to a boil. I was disappointed that the "fire phasers" order still resulted in graphics more like photon torpedoes launching and the Romulan ship's cloaking being so bland.

Call me nuts, but I'm not a Trekkie, so I don't know, but doesn't making the special effects look decent by today's standards somehow go against the basis of Star Trek? Isn't the unintentional campiness part of the appeal? Are they honestly transferring the mediocre acting, cheap costumes, etc, to brilliantly lush backgrounds?No, the series isn't meant to be campy, and last night's acting nails that pretty well, the performances were taught on the Enterprise (the Romulan crew less so, but Mark Lenard's performance as the philosophical Romulan captain balances it out), they were taking the material seriously even when the network wasn't. And they didn't sweeten any of the backgrounds we were given, the Romulan Bird of Prey deck was still kinda crappy yet intentionally cramped to suggest a submarine, they didn't extend new live backgrounds that used to be walls or anything so Lucasian.

The end credits were the classic version and showed the old Romulan BOP and it looked very blurry and dated, it is not a bad idea for them to update the FX of stuff like that and the Enterprise, but some of these new Enterprise shots really weren't quite good enough - they can't halfass that, they should have updated the whole look and feel the way they did on ST:Enterprise's mirror universe episode.

El Chuxter
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
JT, I didn't mean Trek was intended to be campy (as was the case with Batman or many other shows from that time). However, at least among those of us who like the series but aren't Trekkies, the unintentional campiness seems to be a good portion of the appeal.

JediTricks
09-18-2006, 05:27 PM
That type of audience really isn't going to be loyal though, they treat the series as a joke and therefore won't come back for the long haul. The series is meant to be taken seriously, which is why CBS-Paramount is doing this update - it won't likely work, but the material still stands on its own feet when the period it was made is taken into account.