PDA

View Full Version : "28 Weeks Later"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-31-2006, 07:02 PM
(i thought we had a thread on this, but i couldn't find it. I guess i was wrong?)

Yup, it's official: a sequel is going to happen. Here is the plot synopsis:

"The film picks up six months after the end of the first pic, in which a virus spreads, leaving few survivors. Special Forces is working to restore order and helping repopulate London when a carrier of the virus unknowingly ignites a reinfection."

Eh, i was leary at first, but: Alex Garland is writing the sequel as well. The directors? Not Boyle, but a guy named Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is taking the reigns. Apparently, he's a pretty good indie director.

Lastly, Harold Perrineau (from LOST) has joined the cast as a Helicopter Pilot who brings families back into London after they believe it's been quarantined and fixed.

Movie is aiming for a release of next summer, I believe.
Thoughts?

2-1B
09-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I hope we don't have to see see Cilian's Murphy again ? ;)

My thought is that I wasn't much of a fan of the first one to begin with, so this one will be a rental for me.

UKWildcat
09-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I was definitely a fan of the first one, although the mixed/alternate endings added a different element and view to it. Overall, I really enjoyed though. IMO, it's one of the better "newage" zombie films even though it breaks the more traditional stereotypes of zombies being slow and what not. I love how they move fast. Makes things more interesting and suspenseful. Hell, I love zombies!

I am a little skeptical on the sequel. I may or may not see this on the the theater. A lot will depend on ratings and the such. I'll probably end up getting of my arse and seeing it unless the ratings/word of mouth tear it a new one.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-01-2006, 02:03 AM
I hope we don't have to see see Cilian's Murphy again ? ;)

As far as i know: no. From what i've read, only Selena is RUMORED to make an appearance, but nothing is confirmed. Frankly, I would like to think that those characters have the common sense to stay the hell out of London.

I was definitely a fan of the first one, although the mixed/alternate endings added a different element and view to it. Overall, I really enjoyed though. IMO, it's one of the better "newage" zombie films even though it breaks the more traditional stereotypes of zombies being slow and what not. I love how they move fast. Makes things more interesting and suspenseful. Hell, I love zombies!

That's nifty and all, buuuuuuuuuut, these folks weren't zombies. They were Infected and didn't eat the living. Not zombies...NERD DEBATE, COMMENCE! :crazed:

I'm not sure how to read your comment: did you like the alternate endings or no? I did like the one where Jim doesn't make it and the one with blood transfusion was really crazy, even from the schematics. But still, the one in the movie is the one i prefer to this day.

But if we got Garland on the job and some good directors on the job, i think it'll be a good flick. I got hopes cos i really dont' think Garland would be on the project if he didn't believe in it. I do kinda wish Boyle was directing. However, if they keep that gritty hand cam style to it, i'll be more than pleased. :thumbsup:

2-1B
09-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Sorry, I couldn't resist making a pun with regard to Cillian's nude scene. :crazed:

UKWildcat
09-02-2006, 03:51 PM
That's nifty and all, buuuuuuuuuut, these folks weren't zombies. They were Infected and didn't eat the living. Not zombies...NERD DEBATE, COMMENCE! :crazed:

No, you're right. I just wasn't sure how else to classify them. Maybe "Infecteds" will do. :D

I'm not sure how to read your comment: did you like the alternate endings or no? I did like the one where Jim doesn't make it and the one with blood transfusion was really crazy, even from the schematics. But still, the one in the movie is the one i prefer to this day.

I too like the "original" ending that we see with the film. The others were okay, I guess. Didn't they do the same thing with 28 Days Later that they did with "The Descent"? Change the original (foreign) ending to an "Americanized" ending? Hince, the two different endings/versions of both films? I could be mistaken, but I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Darth Jax
09-03-2006, 12:26 AM
the first film wasn't anything special. i particularly don't care for the superspeedy attackers (same thing that tempered my enjoyment of the dawn of the dead remake). slow shambling, but never tiring pursuit is much, much more frightening.

as for the "nerd debate" according to the zombie survival guide the infected in the movie may or may not be zombies. we know they're infected, but we don't know if it's the offending virus responsible for creating zombies.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-03-2006, 06:29 PM
More cast info:

Robert Carlyle, Rose Byrne, Catherine McCormack, Imogen Poots, Idris Elba and Mackintosh Muggleton all join Jeremy Renner and Harold Perrineau in Fox Atomic's 28 Weeks Later, which will be directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo. Hitting theaters May 11, 2007, the film opens six months after the rage virus has annihilated the British Isles, the US Army declares that the war against infection has been won, and that the reconstruction of the country can begin. In the first wave of returning refugees, a family is reunited -- but one of them unwittingly carries a terrible secret. The virus is not yet dead, and this time, it is more and there BD cuts the word off. We'll say, "more fun" or "more deadly." I'm really happy that Carlyle is in the flick as he's been nothing short of great in "Trainspotting" and "The Full Monty."

More info as it comes! :thumbsup:

2-1B
09-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Idris Elba ? :eek: This film just got more interesting for me...that guy was AWESOME on The Wire. :)

JEDIpartner
09-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I don't know that a sequel was necessary for the original.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-02-2006, 01:38 PM
First Look!: http://www.foxatomic.com/#PAGE_101:movie=/cols/cols_1600_1_28wclip.flv&movie_id=1601

I'm chuckling how for the preview footage/montage, it's just music from the first one. That of Carlyle running is AWESOME. Gettin' giddy for this flick! :love:

2-1B
11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Wait - Sandra Bullock isn't gonna be in the 3rd one ? :eek:

lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Comingsoon.net got to see 28 minutes of the film and they seem pretty enthusiastic.

Those feverish for the follow-up to Danny Boyle's immensely successful revisionist horror film 28 Days Later will get their cake and eat it too on May 11th when Fox Atomic releases the anticipated, and aptly titled, 28 Weeks Later. This writer was granted "Atomic" clearance to view 28 minutes of the sequel's opening under the pretense that what was shown was still in its rough stages - which it was, clues being the "property of" visual burns and the wall-to-wall temp music, some taken from the soundtrack of its predecessor, to set the tone.

What was seen was nothing short of a promising start as we're introduced to Don, played by Robert Carlyle, a man fortified within a country home living with other "survivors" of the first film's viral "rage" outbreak. You get the sense these survivors have adapted to a new pattern of living (by candlelight, hushed tones) and know the do's and don'ts of avoiding/attracting outside "infected" attention which is readily apparent when an orphan arrives on Don's doorstep thus compromising the shelter. During this time, director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo sustains an optimum sense of heightened frenzy and confusion - via a handheld camera throughout - maintaining that the bloodied, gore-spewing infected are a still a force to be reckoned with.

And with this introduction Fresnadillo will not only rattle the newcomers to the 28 Days Later universe but will have successfully reacquainted its fans to a whole new chapter with a ferocious start. More importantly, he roots his narrative in emotional complexity from the get-go (how the script does so is a spoiler, so just trust us) which is further supported when we meet up with Don 28 weeks after the initial infection. England's Isle of Dogs is being repopulated thanks to the U.S. army - the infected have all but starved to death and it's high time for London to be re-built.

Unlike the first film's haunting visions of isolation and desolate streets, Fresnadillo switches gears offering us images of bittersweet hope - some shots ringing eerily familiar to those that have played on our television post-Hurricane Katrina. Soldiers line the streets. Clean-up bags and burning rubble clog avenues. Pleas for help painted on rooftops from residents long gone are sandblasted away. All of this comes with a palpable air of melancholy. But, amidst the steady flow of progress we meet Don's kids, flown in to be reacquainted with their father much to the chagrin of a cautious military nurse (Rose Byrne) who believes the "new" London isn't ready to be populated by children just yet. Then we get a few introductory moments with Jeremy Renner's Sgt. Doyle, a trigger-happy sniper - there's very little connection with him, although he plays a much larger role, we're told, through the rest of the film.

As quickly as the footage started, it fades out leaving many questions and an eager curiosity for more. With the audience empathy for Don grounded, what terrors are in store for him and his kids?

Fresnadillo, it's obvious, is eager to work on a larger canvas, however, he has easily adopted the visual language of 28 Days Later making the transition from that film to this one an effortless task. Carlyle sells his emotional plight and, thankfully, child actors Mackintosh Muggleton and Imogen Poots are unobtrusive factors (so far). Overall, an affecting, yet unsettling, exploration to Boyle's world...

Sources: CS.net

Also, the official trailer hits this weekend with "Hills Have Eyes 2" which I have no desire to see. It should be online soon after that. I'll post it when it hits the web. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Sweet! Sounds promising! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-25-2007, 03:41 PM
No online sources for the trailer yet and I'm not gonna sit through HHE2 to see it. I did find this pic on imdb that was FANTASTIC.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0463854/Ss/0463854/4.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0463854

AWESOME. Simply awesome. :thumbsup:

I'll keep looking for the trailer and post when I have it/it's up! :D

UKWildcat
03-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow! That is an amazing screenshot. :thumbsup:

2-1B
03-25-2007, 08:59 PM
That DOES look very creepy, wow !

Kidhuman
03-25-2007, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=28+weeks+later&search=Search

Havent watched any yet, but check em out.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-25-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=28+weeks+later&search=Search

Havent watched any yet, but check em out.

Thanks for the try, KH, but that isn't anything new. The "first look" has been on Foxatomic.com for months. They also posted about 10 rough seconds of the trailer to tease us. Bastids. :crazed: Thanks though!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-27-2007, 07:26 AM
TRAILER IS UP!!! http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_atomic/28weekslater/
Pretty impressed with what i'm seeing thus far. VERY VERY excited now!! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
03-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Looks pretty frickin sweet.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
In case ya didn't know: there is a graphic novel out that is a spin off of "28 Days Later" and bridges the gap between the first flick and "28 Weeks Later." The first story elaborates on the story behind the creation of the virus, the second is about a family in London during the outbreak, the third is after most of london is in ruins/deserted and the forth flick takes place "38-42 days later" so around the same time the events of the first flick took place.

I picked it up at a local Book store and i enjoyed it quite a bit. It has some good history and details on the creation of the virus and how those animal rights folks got wind of the lab. The stories afterwards are all pretty brutal, nice and bloody, lots of infected goodness, etc. If you're a fan of the flicks/genre, i recommend reading this one.

Info: http://www.amazon.com/Days-Later-Aftermath-Steve-Niles/dp/0061236764/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-9306305-4719248?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176156173&sr=8-3 and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_Days_Later:_The_Aftermath

:thumbsup:

Hellboy
05-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm really looking forward to the feeling I got when I first saw 28 Lays Later. That edge of your seat uneasy feeling that everything could go wrong at any given time. Where nobody is safe, not even the main characters. I love the self sacrifice vs. self preservation dynamic and I'm sure it will be played to maximum effect in 28 Weeks Later.

I think this film is going to surprise a lot of people. Even those who weren't a fan of the original. I actually haven't been this excited to see a movie since ROTS. Based on what I've read and seen I'm expecting a movie that has an interesting and engaging storyline, well developed characters and pulls no punches. A sequel that builds upon the original and doesn't feel like a studio cashing in on the success of it's predecessor. Even if I'm wrong Friday still can't come soon enough. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Here is the lengthy arse, positive review I posted on the blog.

"28 Weeks Later"- The first film, "28 Days Later" is high on my list of favorite horror flicks. It was something that as a devout zombie fan, I couldn't help but love (even though they're NOT ZOMBIES). In fact, a small part of me takes credit of getting the film released in the States. It came out in November of 02 in the UK and had no mention of being released in the States. I watched the flick thanks to "other means" and chatted about it with various fans and friends. That next June, the flick gets limited release in the US, including Columbus, OH. Coincidence? I think not! And as good as it sounds, it makes my tummy warm, so just agree with it!! But what made "Days" fantastic was the vision, the scope of humanity on the decline and the scene with Jim walking through a desolate London is still a great movie moment. Plus, the movie was filmed in DVD camera style, which gave the film, a grainy, somewhat bleak documentary look. The film looked like it was cleaned up a shade on the DVD release (in my opinion at least), but not enough to complain about. The film to me is near perfection in a horror/drama flick. So, "28 Weeks Later" has some mighty big shoes to fill. Does it yes? For the most part, yes. The film opens in a small, reinforced cottage during the main leg of the outbreak. A couple, Don and Alice (Robert Carlyle and Catherine McCormack) are joined by an elderly couple, a woman who still believes her boyfriend is alive, and a man. They talk softly, are surviving on canned goods and pasta (sounds like me in Toledo). We learn that the couple have two small children who were out of the country on a field trip and are alright. The folks are eating when there is a knock at the door, begging that they be let in. They let him in and find out it's a small boy, who is not infected and is being chased by his parents and family, possibly giving the Infected a sort of conscious. This wouldn't be that far of a stretch though as even in Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" it's speculated that the infected/undead have some sort of reaction or instinct that makes them go after or chase who they do. The boy begins to eat when the cottage is attacked and begins swarming with the infected. The survivors began to scatter and Don attacks what infected he can before heading upstairs and trying to save his wife. Alice is trying to track down the little boy who came into the cottage when their room is overrun with infected, creating a barrier between Don and his wife. In a moment of decision, Don opens the window and flees, deserting his wife and leaving her to her fate. He runs off into the english countryside (the scene from the trailer) and is able to flee the infected via a small boat. This is a pretty intense scene that gives many jumps. It's fast, intense, and delivers the sense of chaos that we've seen in "Days." The scene where Don leaves his wife is pretty brutal as well. Could he have saved her? Why not? It paints a scary picture as you can't help but wonder what you would do in the exact same moment.

Flash forward six months and a US led NATO force has invaded Britain and trying to clean up the mess, destroying any infected who had survived after dying out from starvation. They begin repopulating the country in the Isle of Dogs, a small peninsula that is heavily guarded on the one side, just in case, but for the most part, all seems quiet. The small group of new citizens includes Don's children, Tammy and Andy (Imogen Poots and Mackintosh Muggleton; seriously, i'm not making these up). Don has been given a job in the new surroundings, put in charge of maintenance, power, etc, on the entire Isle and as a result, has access to everything, including military posts and establishments. The family have a new apartment and the children begin asking questions regarding their mother. Don, still ashamed, gives them a brief, albeit edited encounter of what happened. The children accept it and the next day, sneak out of the Isle to visit their old home and pick up some of their things. I'm sure some folks will have trouble with this scene, but it didn't bother me. They're small, have cover, and seriously, what soldier would expect two children to want to get out of their protected environment? Plus, I can't blame the kids for wanting to go back as one of the first places i'd want to go after a disaster like this would be my house; i mean, where does Jim do in the first one? They find their old house and begin collecting clothing and pictures of their family and Andy comes across a familar survivor in the attic who has been bitten, but seems to be immune to the Rage virus. They bring this person back to the US post and study them, realizing that the person has the virus, but seems to be able to control their emotion and this brings hope of studying them, hoping they could present a cure through their antibodies. But before yo can say "Cillian murphy," the Rage is ultimately spread throughout the encampment and soon hits the streets of the Isle. What follows afterwards is a solid hour of rage infected attacks and US soldiers who are unable to bring peace to the region. These US soldiers include Doyle (Jeremy Renner), a sniper who doesn't agree with the final command of killing everybody; a reluctant helicopter pilot Flynn (LOST's Harold Perrineau), Major Scarlett Ross (Rose Byrne), and the no nonsense General Stone (Idris Elba). The outbreak soon spreads and the children are in danger and are soon looked after by Doyle and Ross, who attempt to get them out of the country as they are very important to possibly containing the outbreak and destroying the virus.

The action is pretty top notch and intense with each attack being incredibly gruesome and fast. Remember in the first flick, where the one survivor, Mark, was talking about his folks trying to buy their way out and how the infected just spreads like wildfire? We see it here, up close and personal and it's pretty horrifying to see just how fast and chaotic the outbreak was and is. Director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo takes the reigns from Danny Boyle and he proves to be a great choice. The shots are wide and bleak, emphasizing the emptiness and hellish landscape of this post apocalyptic London. He also uses slow mo in several scenes, allowing the viewer to see the details of how the infected attack and infect their victims. There is also John Murphy doing the score again and he actually uses one of the tracks from the first flick, "The House/In a Heartbeat" in three or so scenes. They fit really well and I really dug how they were merged into this flick as well. The scenes of the group running through London is exciting as not only does our group deal with the infected, but they have to face a military that has deemed them as targets. It begs the idea of examining what would really happen times like these and who would be the monsters: the infected or the regular humans? There is also a great scene involving a chopper which we saw in GRINDHOUSE, but was far more effective here.

The cast is fairly solid with Robert carlyle, who keeps his clothes on in this film, setting up the emotional charges of the film. He's distraught, ashamed at his act, and wanting to protect his children. The kids are also pretty solid as we follow them around. The US soldiers we meet are pretty standard, trying to do their job with Doyle and Scarlett trying to save the kids, doing whatever is necessary.

My problem with the film comes with some of the stuff that just really isn't elaborated on. The ending of the film is one of them as leaves room for a sequel (yes please), but there isn't any definite idea as to how things happen. In the end of the first flick, we at least got a brief 9 second montage of the group at the hospital before it returns to them in the mountains, making their sign. Here, the ending of the flick comes after a small black out screen and the caption "28 days later..." across the bottom of the screen. Those who have seen the flick, please drop me a line and let me know what you thought went down. It's meant to leave the scenario to the imagination of the viewer, but I wanted a definite, "yes, here is what went down" set up. Also, the last attack of the film felt almost too coincidental to me. I can understand that the infected have some sort of thought process, which would explain why the boy in the beginning was being hunted by his parents, but the ending scene here just felt off to me. It didn't take away anything, but it just didn't sit right.

Still, this flick is 100 minutes of fast, brutal, rage infected gore and action that should leave horror fans pleased. It's a very worthy addition to the genre and a fine follow up to "28 Days Later." Check it out. Rating- *** out of ****

Anybody else here catch it? :thumbsup:

Hellboy
05-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Great review Guyute. Your comments echo my feelings even in regards to the ending. The more I've thought about it the more I like the open ended finale. It makes for some interesting speculation thats for sure.

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

It wasn't a big deal but I too thought Don catching up to the children was a stretch but I think you explained how it could be possible nicely.

So, is that the chunnel that connects England to France or just the Paris Metro that we see the infected emerge from in that last shot? I would imagine the French would have blocked the chunnel after the initial outbreak of infection but I could definitely see the US air strike clearing a path for the infected. This was my initial thought of how infection spread when I saw the film.

Another theory could be that Andy, being a carrier now, spread the infection himself. We do see him, Tammy and Flynn fly over the Cliffs of Dover so its likely they landed in France. There didn't appear to be any signs of a struggle at the chopper though so if Andy did indeed spread the virus it must have happened elsewhere. After seeing this scene I wondered if the shot of the abandoned chopper was just a prop to allow the viewer to hear the announcement over the radio.

Either way the last minute or so of the movie leaves a lot to the imagination and I agree it would be nice to get a definitive answer clarifying the pieces we do see. Would love to hear more thoughts?