PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Plo Koon!

Bosskman
09-01-2006, 05:28 AM
He's the next in the Order of the Jedi Figures. I never was able to find the Hasbro one and just as well because the guy looks saweeet. Man I love the freakin sideshow 12 inchers, if only I could track down me a Luke.....

Blue2th
09-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Yay, I was hoping Plo Koon was in the works. No more wishing I could scrape up the $150.00 plus for a Hasbro one. A good decision on Sideshow's part. I wonder if he would have even been considered if it hadn't been for the scarcity of the Hasbro Plo?

Jayspawn
09-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Woohoo!

I almost caved and dropped the $ for a Hasbro Koon. This is even better! Koon is one of my favorite b-team Jedi, cant wait for this one!

Darth Cruel
09-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Great news! Where is the preview?

Darth Instigator
09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I had the Hasbro one, it was quite nice

evenflow
09-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I wonder what the exclusive will be.

Blue2th
09-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I wonder what the exclusive will be.
The only possible accessory would be his pilot headgear. What else is there?

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 04:43 PM
They could go the cheesy route like they did with Kit and include a damaged battle droid part.

Blue2th
09-02-2006, 05:04 PM
They could go the cheesy route like they did with Kit and include a damaged battle droid part.
Yeah, only I want a torso this time. By the time SS does all these Jedi, we might get a complete die-cast red battle droid.:laugh:

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 05:09 PM
That seems like a pretty good idea really, BAF (build-a-figure) is a popular gimmick with Marvel Legends, and even if you miss some of the pieces you still have free battlefield debris accessories (the exclusives costing no more than the regulars from Sideshow).

Turbowars
09-03-2006, 02:18 PM
This is the time when the exclusive items will be stretched. I'm happy that Plo is next. SSC can really blow us away with Alien likenesses. I just can't wait to get Cantina Aliens! I really want ANH Obi though.

evenflow
09-08-2006, 10:05 PM
I am hoping for a Jedi council chair.

Turbowars
09-09-2006, 01:16 AM
In your dreams.

JediTricks
09-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Anybody see the newsletter-subscribers gallery for Plo yet? His exclusive accessory is... interesting. I won't spoil it, but it reminds me of something that the fanboys would blather on about back in the old days, like the "gun that shoots lightsabers" ;)

Turbowars
09-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Anybody see the newsletter-subscribers gallery for Plo yet? His exclusive accessory is... interesting. I won't spoil it, but it reminds me of something that the fanboys would blather on about back in the old days, like the "gun that shoots lightsabers" ;)
It wont let me log in.:cry:

Darth Cruel
09-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Interesting choice of exclusive. Don't look to the movie to guess what it is. I'm hip though. I like it.

Blue2th
09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Hope we still get his pilot headset.

Darth Cruel
09-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Did Plo Koon have a headset in the movie? I didn't pay attention to that.

maatu
09-15-2006, 12:05 PM
i just got mine ordered. first time i have ever been this lucky or stupid.....what is a double bladed lightsaber gauntlet? this is the exclusive. i am not dissappointed or complaining.. i just don't remember this weapon. But it looks cool.

Blue2th
09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Did Plo Koon have a headset in the movie? I didn't pay attention to that.
Yes, I think just before he gets shot down.............Well my Priority Pre-order took about four minutes. That's the quickest so far. I followed the link from SSG this time. Maybe that's why. :thumbsup:

jedi master sal
09-15-2006, 12:17 PM
I was in and out in literally less than 30 seconds. Pays to have your info already in the system. Just a couple of clicks and it was ordered. Got the confirmation e-mail right away too.

Darth Cruel
09-15-2006, 12:18 PM
I got 3 orders placed in 11 minutes each for a different person who couldn't get to it. And on a dial-up modem that connects at 31200 at the best. Hmmm.

Warstar
09-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I am in Dayton Ohio- Eastern Time- got in to Sideshow at 1:15 PM Eastern, ordered Plo, was in and out in 30 seconds, too!

He's sold out as of now, though- 1:45 PM Eastern :p

Bravo to Sideshow for the ordering speed! I'M impressed! :thumbsup:

jedi master sal
09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Bravo to Sideshow for the ordering speed! I'M impressed! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's definitely one thing they have over GG.

Man, no muss, no fuss.

AND you had to have the e-mail to direct you to the pre-order, IIRC. (GG take note there!) So hopefully that means that the great majority of them are going to true fans/collectors, instead of scalpers to resell.

JediTricks
09-15-2006, 02:36 PM
It wont let me log in.:cry:It is a dopey page, it says "your password" but they actually mean the password in the newsletter email about Plo, which doesn't matter now but it was jediplokoon.

Maatu, the newsletter gallery shows its origin, it's from concept art: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?p=1989

Is Plo Koon here the most expensive regular 12" figure in the SW line so far? I'm not counting Jabba because he's not on a regular Sideshow body.

Darth Cruel
09-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I can't tell from that pic...but I hope it has the handle Plo is supposed to wrap his fingers around on the other side of it. And I wonder if it will come with the non-ignited version like every other lightsaber has so far. I am thinking not this time.

Darth Instigator
09-15-2006, 04:04 PM
darn it! I forgot to order, now I have to get on the wait list!

jedi master sal
09-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Here's a quick comparison between SSC's and Hasbro's Plo Koon figures:

http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/Plo-SSC-Hasbro-Comp.jpg

maatu
09-15-2006, 05:20 PM
thank you for showing me the picture.i wonder from that picture is ki adi mundi next?

Bosskman
09-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I missed the Gauntlet but that's ok. It's cool but I can live without it. Plo Koon, however, I can't live without, and luckily, I won't have to now.

Bosskman
09-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I just saw that picture and that Hasbro one is pure garbage next to Sideshow Plo.

Darth Instigator
09-15-2006, 05:47 PM
the sideshow is on the right correct?

Blue2th
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Here's a quick comparison between SSC's and Hasbro's Plo Koon figures:

http://www.geocities.com/swsalerno/Plo-SSC-Hasbro-Comp.jpg
Man, I'm glad I didn't win the eBay auction a while ago for that Hasbro Plo (on right) itasuck. :ninja: Sideshow Plo Koon was worth the wait.

Jayspawn
09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I got mine ordered! Good gravey Marie -he's expensive! And I didnt order him from Sideshow direct either. Not sure what makes him like $10 more than the others.

That Exclusive arm accessory is -LAME! Glad I got the regular one.

nash
09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Jay if you just get the regular ones, you should get them from online retailers instead of direct Sideshow. They are usually $10 cheaper if you dont mind waiting an extra week or two.

I agree the exclusive is lame. I'd much rather them included his lightsaber from aotc along with the rots one. oh well, im getting a regular one.

Jayspawn
09-15-2006, 07:35 PM
I have the regular one on order. But I'll probably cancel when more etailers put him up for sale cheaper. But I ordered mine through BBTS for $57.99.

JediTricks
09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
I just saw that picture and that Hasbro one is pure garbage next to Sideshow Plo.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the comparison. Hasbro's Plo is touted as one of their best works, and yet the minute you put it next to the SSC version it instantly fails. From the outfit to the proportions of the body to to the paint to the sculpt, Hasbro's best work is still abysmal.

maatu
09-16-2006, 03:20 PM
not to defend hasbro. But the were producing toys for kids in general. not for the collector.we all have to keep an open mind. that sideshow is producing products for collectors.No one i hope will play with these. hasbro you can play with those suckers. they can take a beating and even survive a being shot up in the air with a toy rocket.

Darth Cruel
09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
I have to differ with you maatu. Hasbro has recognized collectors for a long time. And so have retailers. Hasbro has been out in more than a few interviews over time explaining how they work to please collectors as well as kids. Retailers show their disrespectful recognition of collectors by making space on shelves for exclusive items (that all-to-frequently never even get seen on those same shelves by collectors) to draw in collectors and then they make rude rules designed to deal with the "problems" that collectors cause.

And in the specific case of Plo Koon...his Hasbro colon roll was made as an internet exclusive that, if I remember correctly, was a part of Hasbro's lame effort to appease collectors (like me) who badly wanted the Jedi Council in the 12" format.

On the other hand...I do remember a time when I thought Count Dooku, The Retro OTC 12" Stormtrooper, The 12' EIII Clone Trooper and maybe 1 or 2 forgotten others were the 12" figures to compare all other 12" figures to. Then came Medicom to raise the bar to what was seamingly out of reach for everyone else. But that lasted about a year until Sideshow stepped in front of everyone else with the big red "S" of action figure-making on their collective chest. And then Hot Toys shoved their way to the front with their 12" "models" to show us that even Sideshow is on a very sharp knife's edge with the 12" Star Wars figures. I wonder how long it will be before Hot Toys goes the 1/6th scale "model" route with Star Wars to circumvent the license issue the way they have with Alien, Predator, Terminator and a few other licenses.

JediTricks
09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Maatu, that's a poor excuse, their 4" Plo Koon figures aren't badly miscostumed or misshapen because they're toys, why should the 12" be?

toonimator
09-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Maatu, that's a poor excuse, their 4" Plo Koon figures aren't badly miscostumed or misshapen because they're toys, why should the 12" be?
You say the 4" Hasbro Plos aren't badly miscostumed, yet you cite the 12" figure IS compared to Sideshow! Maybe you just meant the tailoring & fabrics, which do look inferior in the photo, but the costume design of Hasbro's is much closer to their 4" figures' outfits than Sideshow's (which seems to be Kit's shirt and Mace's everything-else)... so Hasbro deserves some credit for that at least :)

Tycho
09-16-2006, 09:36 PM
I didn't order the SS Plo Koon. After seeing that comparison picture, I'm coming to regret it. Dang, SS did good! I just saw my Plo Koon 12" (Hasbro) today, but I didn't really have time to take a good look at him. I thought mine looks better than that picture (of Hasbro's) - perhaps there were paint ap variations? However, the SideShow would still be superior.

I'm mulling it over, trying to justify whether I'm going to order Plo from SS yet.

JEDIpartner
09-17-2006, 01:00 AM
What the heck is that twin blade lightsaber gauntlet thing? It looks completely stupid!! There's no way he could use that thing without slicing of the top of his right hand!! :rolleyes:

JediTricks
09-17-2006, 03:30 AM
You say the 4" Hasbro Plos aren't badly miscostumed, yet you cite the 12" figure IS compared to Sideshow! Maybe you just meant the tailoring & fabrics, which do look inferior in the photo, but the costume design of Hasbro's is much closer to their 4" figures' outfits than Sideshow's (which seems to be Kit's shirt and Mace's everything-else)... so Hasbro deserves some credit for that at least :)I was referring to the awful belt and materials used. And I suspect SSC will either change the prototype or back up the outfit with official Lucasfilm pics, but who knows. There aren't many robeless source images either, Hasbro could totally be guessing just as much as SSC is, all we see besides the robe is the collar and top of the outer vest/tunic and both the Hasbro version and SSC version cover this. BTW, the inner tunic on SSC's Plo seems to be all new just for him and his crazy collar.

Tycho, just preorder the dang thing, you'll have it locked down for sure with plenty of time to think it over, and if you change your mind in the next 6 months you can easily cancel and won't be charged a thing.

I highly doubt there are significant paint variations in the 12" Hasbro release, it was a short run and probably didn't even have time for a change.

Darth Instigator
01-20-2007, 09:27 PM
I just got an email telling me my wait list for the exclusive Plo Koon has been converted to an order, not bad for missing the release. It looks good, can't wait to add it to my collection.

Darth Cruel
04-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Sideshow's newsletter pegs the ship date for Plo Koon as the end of May. Just in case anyone else wants to know.