PDA

View Full Version : Proto types

elsewhereillusive
09-01-2006, 07:22 AM
My best friend recently came across a fully functional AT-ST prototype and either a Tie Fighter or a Tie Interceptor prototype minus the wings. We are from Rhode Island and were told that these pieces came from an old Hasbro employee who had recently cleaned out a closet or two. The AT-ST is body is cast in a very light gray plastic, while the top hatch and legs are cast in a white, almost translucent plastic. The Tie Fighter/Interceptor body is also cast in the same white almost translucent plastic. I have checked the removable battery compartment panel on the Tie piece and it doesn't have a place of origin on it ,but instead a slight raised section there that is blank. I'm almost positive both these pieces are the real deal. I was hoping he would give them to but besides flaunting them in front of me over the past few months I know he wants to get rid of them. My question is do any of you know how much these things go for? I know they are worth a very good amount of cash,I've seen 3 3/4 figure prototypes go for a lot of money, and these are whole ships, well, at least the AT-ST is. It would kill me to see him get rid of them for a fraction of what the are worth. If any of you know of any sites or resources about prototypes or have an info at all I'd welcome all responses. Send an email to elsewhereillusive@cox.net

Kidhuman
09-01-2006, 09:31 AM
It is only worth as much as someone will pay for them. I dont know of any price guides that will list prototypes in them either. Best option is put them on ebay and see what they fetch.

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Prototypes are hard to sell, they can go for a lot if you find the right buyer, but that can be the real chore.

The age of those prototypes is probably going to be in question, Hasbro has been based in Rhode Island since their inception but did not acquire the Star Wars license until the '90s, the original toy license was held by Kenner of Cincinnati, Ohio, and even after Hasbro bought Kenner they left the division in Ohio and they were still in charge of Star Wars until the division was closed and key personnel were moved to Hasbro's Rhode Island headquarters. Since Hasbro has reused both Kenner's AT-ST and TIE cockpit molds 2 or 3 times in the past decade, it's possible you have test shots from modern runs of those pieces which might affect their value; but it's also possible they're protos or test shots from the original run and a Kenner employee kept them when he or she was moved to Rhode Island.

I would suggest checking out Gus Lopez's site, he's got a ton of knowledge on prototypes and whatnot: http://www.toysrgus.com/collectors.html

Mothman
09-30-2006, 07:11 AM
I think there is someone looking for starwars prototypes in the micromachines/titanium board. have a look there.