PDA

View Full Version : What about a Droideka.....

Engineernerd
09-02-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not big into Transformers. I love the idea but collect way too many other things....

How bout this a Droideka that turns into a Droideka? If they are using Transformer features for SW characters why not give us a droid that changes from rolling to fighting mode. Just a thought....

Engineernerd
http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com

2-1B
09-02-2006, 03:55 PM
That would be the most sensible TF...

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Hasbro did a transforming Droideka in '01 in their Mega Action line of 7" figures (a sub-line of the POTJ line), it was the 3rd and final figure in the line so it was harder to get, and there were problems with the back leg being too stiff and some folks had it break, and the transformation while very convincing is technically backwards with the droid "face" ending in the ball "waist" rather than touching the back leg.

Engineernerd
09-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Hasbro did a transforming Droideka in '01 in their Mega Action line of 7" figures (a sub-line of the POTJ line), it was the 3rd and final figure in the line so it was harder to get, and there were problems with the back leg being too stiff and some folks had it break, and the transformation while very convincing is technically backwards with the droid "face" ending in the ball "waist" rather than touching the back leg.

I've never seen one of those. Wonder how I missed it? I'd love to see a new one though.

2-1B
09-02-2006, 06:01 PM
I remember seeing that thing advertised on the back of the shelfwarmer Obi and Maul figs...I never did see it in person.

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 06:12 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/potjmegaddroid.asp
(the figure is a bit mistransformed in those photos)

The problem with the Mega Action line was that they released Maul as wave 1 all by himself, so there was nobody in that scale for Maul to fight and thus he didn't sell, by the time wave 2's Obi-Wan came out (he was supposed to be in wave 1 but got held back, I don't remember why) the stores were flooded with Maul, Obi-Wan's case had Maul in it so it was just compounding the problem, by the time the Droideka came out it was too late - stores were flooded with Mauls and some with Maul and Obi-Wans so few ordered the Droideka.

Engineernerd
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the pics! I remember the Obi and Maul, but would've picked up a destroyer if I'd seen it.

El Chuxter
09-02-2006, 09:05 PM
The Mega Action Droideka also required a PhD in rocket science to transform without using the instructions, which is ridiculous for something we actually see transform onscreen by merely unfolding.

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 11:11 PM
The Mega Action Droideka also required a PhD in rocket science to transform without using the instructions, which is ridiculous for something we actually see transform onscreen by merely unfolding.
Well, it would seem that way to you. ;) It's actually pretty straightforward, the arms and shoulders being the most to think about.

Engineernerd
09-03-2006, 05:20 AM

What's wrong with rocket scientists?

El Chuxter
09-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Nothing at all. I merely meant that the transformation was needlessly complex, since onscreen the droideka literally just unfolds itself. It doesn't need a transformation so detailed it puts the Alternators to shame.

Engineernerd
09-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Nothing at all..... I was kidding with you...

COMMANDERCODY2795
09-16-2006, 01:43 PM
and how bout making it an actual figure, and i think some one will kill me for saying it but put a smaill swicth or button t start the unfolding process for play. and now your all going to yell "Heresy, and blasphemy! Cease the Non-Beliver!"

JediTricks
09-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't think it'd be possible at the 4" figure scale, there's not much mass to the Droideka for a motor or springs.

And if you're going to have a gimmick do the unfolding process, do it all, not halfway.

darthscribe
10-08-2006, 08:53 PM
I got that Droideka off ebay at the time. Terrific figure...I had it on the shelf in "roll" mode. Now in storage, pending a "recycle" on the shelf. Well worth tracking one...best Droideka to date.