PDA

View Full Version : College Football, 2006 Edition

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2006, 10:48 AM
It has begun! And there were virtually no upsets (UT a home-underdog to a Pac-10 team traveling most-way across the country? I do not call Cal's loss an upset).

OSU vs. the other UT next week... think it'll be called
THE GAME OF THE NEW CENTURY
before it even kicks off?

Brag, bemoan, belittle... or just be. Onward to the probably-soon-to-be-debated Nat'l Champ!

Kidhuman
09-03-2006, 11:00 AM
OSU baby!!!!!&

UKWildcat
09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
The Ga Tech - ND game last night was a pretty good one although I was hoping for GT to pull out the victory.

Va Tech crushing N' Eastern was nice too, had to listen to that one on the radio. Good to see Tech has a pretty good new QB in Glennon, a good rusher in Ore and the solid defense is still intact. I know they didn't play the best opposition, but still, all of these are good things. Plus, it probably made kh's weekend. ;) :p

I'm really looking forward to the FSU Miami game on Monday night. :yes:

LusiferSam
09-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I never watch college football and rarely pay any attention to it either. But one game this week caught my attention, Montana St. vs. CU. Boulder is where I did my undergrad at and Montana St. is where I'm at right now. I was stunned to learn of MSU's 19 to 10 victory. A 1-AA school isn't supposed to beat a Big 12 school.

JetsAndHeels
09-03-2006, 08:17 PM
We should have beat Rutgers yesterday...that's all I'm sayin.

How about that dumba$$ for Georgia who dropped the ball right outside of the end zone on his kick return? Granted he did return the next one for the TD but I know his coach had to be on him like white on rice for showboating so much.

Oh yeah..I do NOT think Brady Quinn wins the Heisman this year unless ND gets going on all cylinders..last night he played well but the Irish had too tough of a time with GT and that kind of performance won't work against other teams later in their schedule.

Slicker
09-03-2006, 08:21 PM
We should have beat Rutgers yesterday...that's all I'm sayin.I was actually at the NC State/Appalachian State game and the entire stadium (both sides) erupted when they said UNC lost. I take it that the entire state hates UNC?

How about that dumba$$ for Georgia who dropped the ball right outside of the end zone on his kick return? Granted he did return the next one for the TD but I know his coach had to be on him like white on rice for showboating so much.I saw that and was rolling. I immediately thought of Leon Lett and Don Beebe from the Super Bowl. Different situation but kinda the same.

Michigan looked like *** but they still managed to pull the game out (yet didn't make the damn spread and messed things up).

And, gee, how about Texas stomping all over Northern Texas.:rolleyes: Do you really have to wonder how they can go undefeated? That's the BCS for ya.:rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
09-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I was actually at the NC State/Appalachian State game and the entire stadium (both sides) erupted when they said UNC lost. I take it that the entire state hates UNC?

Of course they hate us (not the entire state but the nc state losers and dook fans)...we are superior in every way..they are the little lost retarded brother of NC.

Slicker
09-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Of course they hate us (not the entire state but the nc state losers and dook fans)...we are superior in every way..they are the little lost retarded brother of NC.You'd think that since UNC has a good basketball squad they could muster a football team good enough to beat Rutgers...:p

JetsAndHeels
09-03-2006, 08:34 PM
You'd think that since UNC has a good basketball squad they could muster a football team good enough to beat Rutgers...:p

Rutgers is no slouch..theyve got 2 rbs on that team that could easily win the heisman.

figrin bran
09-04-2006, 03:07 AM
not that any of you care about the Pac 10 but Ben Olson looked pretty good.

Booty looked pretty good as well (there, at least i provided the setup for someone. on a board full of punchline closers, ya'll should appreciate the setup people like me. ;) )

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2006, 05:34 PM
not that any of you care about the Pac 10 but Ben Olson looked pretty good.

Booty looked pretty good as well (there, at least i provided the setup for someone. on a board full of punchline closers, ya'll should appreciate the setup people like me. ;) )Hey, as a supporter of teams from where I grew up, but a resident of Pac-10 and Mountain West country, I have a slight affinity for those teams... as long as their success dosen't negatively impact MY teams, of course. :D

And you can't have great humor without everyone playing their roles, so I appreciate you, FB! But I'll turn the other cheek and avoid any booty-related jokes. :rolleyes:

On a poll-related note, do any of you think that the preseason polls should remain frozen until each team's played about 2 or 3 games? Just because a school has talent, experience, or potential doesn't mean they'll win. It's tough for a team that isn't on people's radar to move up, just as highly ranked but disappointing teams hang around the top 25 just on account of their early ranks. :sad:

figrin bran
09-04-2006, 08:55 PM
BCJ, i hate hate hate the trojans so make all the Booty jokes you want.

if preseason rankings didn't exist, what would all the media people be talking about? ;)

Kidhuman
09-04-2006, 10:08 PM
They would rank em anyways, you know that&&

kool-aid killer
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I never watch college football and rarely pay any attention to it either. But one game this week caught my attention, Montana St. vs. CU. Boulder is where I did my undergrad at and Montana St. is where I'm at right now. I was stunned to learn of MSU's 19 to 10 victory. A 1-AA school isn't supposed to beat a Big 12 school.

Colorados got a lot of problems. While this loss was shocking, im sure the writing was on the wall that this team is going to suffer this season.

Nebraska won their opener. It was close until the end of the second quarter, than they ran away with it. They play Nichols State (or something like that) this weekend, then onto USC. Should be an exciting season for us Cornhusker fans.

Kidhuman
09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Great game by OSU tonight, completely man-handled Texas. I do think it should have been a shut out as the penalty was stupid. That wasnt an intentional helmet to helmet. At most, Texas should have only scored three points.&

Bel-Cam Jos
09-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Great game by OSU tonight, completely man-handled Texas. At most, Texas should have only scored three points.& Hey, what do they say? "Everything's bigger and better in Texas" (even the visitor victories, apparently). I think Texas would have found a way into the end zone; they're too good a team not to have at some point. But that was a great game for Buckeye fans.

mtriv73
09-10-2006, 11:53 AM
What the heck is wrong with the ACC this year? Everyone keeps talking about how equal all the teams are, but they're becoming equally bad.

UVA barely won yesterday, FSU didn't even show up until the 4th quarter of their game, NC state lost to Akron. No offense to Jetsandheels intended, but UNC should be way more competitive against a rebuilding Hokies team. Yes, the defense is good (or at least it's supposed to be, they really haven't had any competition yet this year-including scrimmaging against the Hokies offense.) But I wasn't terribly impressed with either team. I hope the Hokies can get there offense started soon. They're going to need it against GT, BC, and Miami. The defense won't be handed so many big plays on a platter like they were against UNC against those guys.

I can't believe all the hype I'm hearing (here in MD) about the UMD-WVU game this thursday. It's going to be an absolute slaughter. Maryland hasn't shown any signs of even really wanting to be there in their 2 games so far this year. Friedgen may just be holding his cards until he needs them, but I'm wondering if he has any cards to play.

kool-aid killer
09-10-2006, 04:59 PM
The Huskers beat IAA Nichols State yesterday, 56-7. It wasnt much to listen to, i only tuned in for about the first half. But this weeks game is at USC, should be a good one. Im of the belief the Huskers will win that game, theyre looking like they are poised to have a good season.

InsaneJediGirl
09-10-2006, 11:30 PM
While I didnt get the FSU game,I saw "highlights" and couldnt believe it. Just coming off a win from Miami,a much better team than Troy,and they nearly lost. At least someone got some brains to score,because that would have been a sad,embarassing loss.

UNC/VT was the worst game I've seen in awhile. Dailey likes throwing the ball to the opposing team way too much. Even the Georgia/SC game was more interesting,and South Carolina was shut out.

UKWildcat
09-10-2006, 11:46 PM
GO HOKIES!!!!!

;)

It will be interesting to see what happens when they face a quality opponent, which is several weeks away. They still have a good defense and they have a hella good running back in Ore. Hopefully they'll continue to do well.

I was hoping for more from Texas but Ohio State proved they are the ones who are going to make a run for the championship. Considering Ohio States remaining schedule, I'd be shocked if they didn't play for the championship.

figrin bran
09-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Come on Huskers, kick U$C's Booty. (pun intended. too bad mr. john david doesn't play TE or else we could make jokes a plenty at his expense)

Kidhuman
09-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Or wide receiver, or any position with -end on it&

JetsAndHeels
09-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Ok, ok, ok...I have read enough here!!

UNC will bounce back tomorrow against the mighty team of Furman. Look for them to then build off that momentum and beat Clemson, Miami, and Notre Dame.

figrin bran
09-16-2006, 03:23 AM
come on cornhuskers, knock booty on his booty.

UKWildcat
09-16-2006, 03:56 PM
VA Tech looked good today against a carpy Duke team.

GO HOKIES!!!!GOHOKIES!!!!GOHOKIES!!!!!

There are a bunch of good games on right now. LSU - Auburn, Loui - Miami, ND - Michigan... I don't know which one to watch. :crazed:

Slicker
09-16-2006, 11:35 PM
How 'bout them Wolverines!!!!!

UKWildcat
09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
No kidding Slick. Great stuff there!

What about the finish b/w Oregon and Oklahoma? You all catch that? Talk about some bs calls. Throw that out, OK still had a chance at the end and blew it with a missed field goal.

Great game b/w Clemson and FSU. Glad to see Clemson pull out the victory! That was awesome, such a good game.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Finally, the YSU Penguins get some national airplay... by getting whoomped on by a ranked I-A team! Last year, they were shut out by unranked Pitt 41-0; this year they've improved, increasing their scoring by an infinite amount of 3, and reduced their points allowed by almost 10%. Hope this doesn't drop them in the I-AA poll.

That OK-OR game ended poorly (call it "Okay Oregon" we'll let you win at home), from a call standpoint. But from an excitement level, only way it could've been better is if the last-second field goal attempt wouldn't have been blocked, but hit the cross bar and... and... [insert ending here... press one if you are a Sooners fan, press two if you are a Ducks fan, or press any number if you are indifferent]

InsaneJediGirl
09-17-2006, 12:27 PM
UK,Duke hasnt won a game since Nov 2004,VT had a easy win.

The Seminoles were sleeping through the first half and I think it cost the game. Exciting to watch,but certainly disappointed with the end result.After the win at Miami,I thought we had a good team this year but Miami seems to be doing worse than the Noles. Hopefully the FSU can turn around and at least win the ACC Championship,by the looks of things thats hard to say though lol

JetsAndHeels
09-17-2006, 01:03 PM
The Seminoles were sleeping through the first half and I think it cost the game. Exciting to watch,but certainly disappointed with the end result.After the win at Miami,I thought we had a good team this year but Miami seems to be doing worse than the Noles. Hopefully the FSU can turn around and at least win the ACC Championship,by the looks of things thats hard to say though lol

Carolina is getting that acc title.
Be afraid..very, very afraid. :D

kool-aid killer
09-17-2006, 02:56 PM
come on cornhuskers, knock booty on his booty.

I thought Nebraska would too. And im not even a hard core Husker fan either. I didnt catch the game until a little after 9pm (it started at 7pm in my time zone) because i was a lot more interested in a soccer game. But when i did tune in i was a bit down by how they were playing. Oh well, the Huskers will get a rematch next year when they come to Lincoln.

UKWildcat
09-23-2006, 11:25 PM
I swear, if Mich. St. blows this game I'm gonna stab somebody!

2-1B
09-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Go Irish ! :D

UKWildcat
09-23-2006, 11:27 PM
BOOOOOO Irish!!! :D

UKWildcat
09-23-2006, 11:29 PM
I don't believe it! :eek:

Slicker
09-24-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't believe it! :eek:Neither do I. And the worst part is that the damn game was a push in our league!!!!

2-1B
09-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Kinda like your sig line ? lol lol lol

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2006, 04:24 PM
I swear, if Mich. St. blows this game I'm gonna stab somebody!I got this off the wire reports...

Sunday, September 24, 2006
Somewhere near University of Kentucky
A person, also referred to as some body, was stabbed last evening, but police have no leads. Police are looking for assistance, so that anyone with any information leading to the arrest of this individual is asked to contact the police at the police department there. The victim had wounds on him (or her?) that look as if they came from a cat, perhaps even a wild one. That is all.:p

OSU looked strong defensively. Next week vs. the Ioawks will be a true test.

UKWildcat
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
That was hilarious!!! Good job Bel-Cam! lol

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2006, 10:25 AM
THE Ohio State Univ. looked really good last night. Iowa is a quality program, and they forced some TOs, pushed them back on the defensive line, and were unaffected by the huge crowd. With a fairly light schedule upcoming, they look like USC did last year: heading for their main rivalry game and hopefully the BCS title bowl (is it the Fiesta this time?). I just hope, that unlike the Trojans, the Buckeyes are victorious.

Pitt trounces Toledo, and Youngstown St. has an easy time with Missouri St. A good weekend for me.

UKWildcat
10-06-2006, 03:00 AM
Good game b/w Nc State and FSU tonight. Glad NC State pulled out the upset victory!

There are a lot of good matchups this weekend.

LSU - FLA
Texas - OK
Tenn - GA
and Mich - Mich ST. - always a good one!

figrin bran
10-14-2006, 05:34 PM
what a time to get injured - at the end of your TD run! i'm talking about adrian peterson, obviously.

Kidhuman
10-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Thats what ya get for showboating and diving into the end zone.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2006, 10:11 AM
what a time to get injured - at the end of your TD run! i'm talking about adrian peterson, obviously.I felt bad because it was the first time in 9 years that his dad saw him play, and possibly see his son's college career come to an end. I didn't see it as showboating into the end zone; it seemed he was just stretching to cross the goal line to me. In that game, one of the announcers said something like "Peterson will be OU's all-time leading rusher by season's end. You can chalk that up." Dude will get fined by the university now. Still sad to see kids get hurt in school. :(

Does anyone know if any sportcasts showed the Navy QB's dislocated knee injury on screen? I hope not; it sounded bad from some verbal descriptions, and I don't want to see it if it's bad.

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Did anyone else see that insane melee between Miami and Florida International? That was probably the biggest fight I've seen in a college football game. One guy got a helmet slapped against his head, while someone else was body slammed. 31 total players have been suspended for it.
At about the 42 second mark on this video, close to the middle of the screen you can see that body slam
The video of it is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWeE9KqZjQ).

Slicker
10-16-2006, 10:22 AM
I saw the replay on ESPN and couldn't stop rollin' when that guy hit the other guy with his damn helmet. These are supposedly grown men doing this carp.:rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
10-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I saw the replay on ESPN and couldn't stop rollin' when that guy hit the other guy with his damn helmet.It reminded me of an old lady warding off a would-be attacker with her purse. Or, for you only Slick, "I saw whatchu did!"

My favorite was the beating with the crutch of doom by the injured player.

Everyone of them tards should be kicked off the team. That's completely unexcuseable on any level.

mtriv73
10-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Well, if enough Miami players are suspended for a long enough time, maybe my Hokies have a shot at beating someone else this year.:thumbsup:

pbarnard
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Scholarship revokation. Playing (even being recruited) is a privelage. Having your tutition paid, food that isn't available to other students, private/isolated gyms from the rest of campus etc. The inhouse Miami commentator (a former player) should be fired for saying they should take the fight out to the parking lot.

I used to not like the Bobby Bowden method of player discipline till I read an indepth investigation by Sports Illustrated. He banned players from their food, made them have to pay for their own room and board a semester, and than ran those players up the steps of the stadiums. Any player who went through that once never had any other run ins with the law (although plenty of academic wash outs).

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2006, 08:08 PM
One of the Miami broadcasters was fired today for his comments during that brawl Saturday.

Analyst fired, comments during telecast of brawl to be edited

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
October 16, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- Former Miami player Lamar Thomas lost his TV analyst job Monday over comments he made during a sideline-clearing brawl involving the Hurricanes and Florida International.

Comcast Sports SouthEast, a regional cable network that hired Thomas before the season, also decided to edit out his comments before the game is replayed later this week.

"We were disappointed in the incident that happened on the field and regret the way it was handled in the broadcast booth," CSS general manager Mark Fuhrman said. "We do not support or condone the inappropriate comments made by color analyst Lamar Thomas and have taken the necessary steps to prevent a similar situation from ever occurring again."

CSS, which is available in 5.5 million homes, will replay the game twice Wednesday.

Thomas made his comments as dozens of Miami and FIU players stormed the Orange Bowl field and fought during the third quarter of their teams' game Saturday night, an incident that led to the suspension of at least 31 players and forced officials from both schools to publicly apologize for the melee.

"Now, that's what I'm talking about," Thomas said as the brawl raged out of control. "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing."

Miami and Florida International have campuses 9 miles apart in Miami-Dade County. It was the first meeting between the two programs, and the Hurricanes went on to win 35-0.

As the fight slowed, Thomas' comments continued.

"I say, why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel after the ball game and get it on some more? You don't come into the OB, baby," Thomas said. "We've had a down couple years but you don't come in here talking smack. Not in our house."

A tape of the fight, including Thomas' comments, was available on the Internet on Sunday and Monday. The game was available for viewing Saturday night on a pay-per-view basis.

Thomas was a third-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1993 and spent six seasons in the NFL, three with the Bucs and three with the Miami Dolphins.

He has a Gainesville address, but there was no listed telephone number for him in that area. He could not be reached Monday.

Fuhrman said CSS consulted with Miami officials before determining what action needed to be taken. Miami recommends on-air personnel for its broadcasts, Fuhrman said.

Kidhuman
10-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Thomas desewrved to lose his job for what he said. HE basically condoned the whole melee. What a jerklover

pbarnard
10-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Thomas desewrved to lose his job for what he said. HE basically condoned the whole melee. What a jerklover

Let's see, from the Dan Patrick show today, 4 arrests, all agrivated assaults with weapons against the women he was involved with. One time was in the presence of his kid. All day when I tuned in to espnradio between classes today, the line was, "There was a brawl in college football this weekend. I bet if you didn't hear about it before, you already know who one of the teams was".

Miami once threatened to shut down the football program because of players like Thomas. Butch Davis did come in and clean up some of that. But hey, they had their chance with his pupil, Coker. The effort failed. This is a pattern with the players they recruit and the school attracts. END IT.

Send a message that a university exists to educate, not provide sports. Don't give me the money that athletics brings in. The athletic budget of any school is a paltry sum compared to the federal research dollars that graduate students (like me) bring in to the university. The facilities taken up can than be given over to the general student population, donated to local schools (which creates revenues and more tax breaks), or torn down to modernize some other aspect of the first mission of any university, to further expand knowledge and educate the next generation of leaders. Show some leadership.

figrin bran
10-21-2006, 06:22 PM
The Fighting Irish are who we thought they are! If you want to crown them then crown them.

the fighting irish are who we thought they are. and we let them off the hook

kool-aid killer
10-21-2006, 06:28 PM
The Cornhuskers came so close to beating Texas. I hate to blame players, but Terrence Nunn had a bad game, from letting punts go by to coughing up the ball that led to Texas' winning score. Hes going to have a hard time sleeping tonight. But, the team as a whole should have played better in the second and third quarters. There is a potential for both of these teams to meet in the Big 12 title game though. Tough loss today.

pbarnard
10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I hope a meteor strikes Ohio State and Michigan while they're playing...

Disgruntled Hawkeye.

CaptainSolo1138
10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
I hope a meteor strikes Ohio State and Michigan while they're playing...

Fan of CNN :p

HOLY CARP! How 'bout them MSU Spartans today?! Forty one unanswered points, setting a Division I-A record for biggest comeback.

Slicker
10-21-2006, 11:03 PM
I saw that. I guess it's payback for the loss to Notre Dame earlier in the season.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Well now the bowl picture starts to clear up. I was really rooting for Rutgers to keep its loss column as 0 to mess with the BCS, but once again luck (not predesigned quality) saves the Better Change SeveralTimes from total disaster. It's just mostly disaster right now.

So it'll be Ohio St. vs. ...
USC?
Florida?
Arkansas?
Notre Dame?
Texas?
Michigan II?
Boise St. :confused: :D

Kidhuman
11-19-2006, 10:24 AM
I too was bummed that Rutgers lost, I was hoping they would go undefeated. OSU secured there spot, now I think it will be eitehr a rematch of OSU/Wolverines or USC/OSU.

2-1B
11-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I was hoping the OSU Mich game would end in a tie...since I hate both teams.

Slicker
11-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Obviously I'm hoping for a rematch but it's gonna be either USC or Florida.

USC has a tough game next week against Notre Dame and if they win then they're in.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Go Penguins! #4 Youngstown St. hosts a 1st round I-AA playoff game; James Madison, you might've been a good president, writing the Declaration of Independance or something, but you're gettin' impeached and censured by a flightless, aquatic bird! :pleased:

Could Tressel's OSU and the YSU squads both win nat'l titles this season? Hmm... :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2006, 10:02 AM
What? No love for the student athletes? Where's the endless bickering over who's #1, especially after a rivalry weekend? Oh, right. The BCS stopped all that useless time wasting, with its foll-proof system. :rolleyes:

But, USC looks really good. A Pac-10/Big TeLEVENn matchup for the crystal football should be an awesome game.

And YSU pulls one out against Mr. I-Wrote-The-Constitution. That was a great gut-check contest, and now there are 3 Gateway Conference teams in the quarter finals (37.5% of the remaining schools, for all you math majors out there :lipsrsealed: ) for the I-AA... um, excuse me, "Divison I Collegiate Football Championship." Go Penguins!

2-1B
11-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I was hoping the Domers could knock off USC...lousy Condoms. :frus:

JetsAndHeels
11-26-2006, 07:26 PM
USC will move upto #2 behind Ohio State...with Michigan in the #3 spot.

edit....It is official, they are indeed #2. I had not read the standings once they came out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AiQr3LYfmFI7PolIQ67xJTk5nYcB?slug=ap-t25-collegefbpoll&prov=ap&type=lgns

JimJamBonds
11-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Could Tressel's OSU and the YSU squads both win nat'l titles this season? Hmm... :thumbsup:

Didn't Tressel coach at YSU and win a number of national titles while there?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Didn't Tressel coach at YSU and win a number of national titles while there?Yup. He was the coach for 4 I-AA nat'l titles (I think it was '91, '93, '94, and '97). Tressel replaced Cooper at OSU and has done fairly well since then. :D

figrin bran
12-02-2006, 09:06 PM
The Trojans are who we thought they are!!!!

i've waited years and years for this day

JetsAndHeels
12-02-2006, 09:43 PM
The Trojans are who we thought they are!!!!

i've waited years and years for this day

I figured you would be happy today. Congrats.

figrin bran
12-02-2006, 11:15 PM

thanks and the best things about it are that we kept $C out of the BCS title game and we did it with defense. defense being a traditional weakness of bruins football *still has memories of ron dayne and edge james running for 500 yards against us*

figrin bran
12-02-2006, 11:17 PM

thanks and the best things about it are that we kept $C out of the BCS title game and we did it with defense. defense being a traditional weakness of bruins football *still has memories of ron dayne and edge james and $aint Reggie running for 500 yards against us*

JetsAndHeels
12-02-2006, 11:29 PM
thanks and the best things about it are that we kept $C out of the BCS title game and we did it with defense. defense being a traditional weakness of bruins football *still has memories of ron dayne and edge james and $aint Reggie running for 500 yards against us*

Carson palmer carving up the secondary? :)

Slicker
12-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Now us Michigan fans just have to hope that the BCS doesn't f**k up again and give the title game to Florida.

Natural selection dictates that if the #2 team loses that everyone moves up one slot but we'll see...:rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
12-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Butch Davis will be coaching Carolina this upcoming season.
I expect to have something to talk about football-wise at that time. :)

figrin bran
12-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Carson palmer carving up the secondary? :)

hey! that's enough already! many QB's have lit us up, heck i think even Andrew Walter-yes the same one on the Raiders has put up numbers but it's farrrrr worse when it's done via the ground.

2-1B
12-03-2006, 01:23 AM
I liked Butch Davis in Cleveland.

JetsAndHeels
12-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I liked Butch Davis in Cleveland.

I did too actually. In fact I thought he might could turn it around but they let him go too quickly.
However I am glad he is coming to UNC because I think he may be better suited as a coach on the collegiate level.
He addressed the crowd yesterday during halftime of the basketball game. Everyone is receiving him very well, and anticipation of the '07 football season is already high.

DarthQuack
12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I really hope Florida gets Ohio St. instead of Michigan, they had their shot at the Buckeyes and lost. Florida by far plays in a much tougher conference as well, no doubt.

Kidhuman
12-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Florida got OSU, watching the selections now.

Slicker
12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Florida got OSU, watching the selections now.
I saw that.:rolleyes:

Everyone was completely dead set against a rematch so I guess they got there way.:rolleyes:

I also don't understand how Florida can jump ahead of Michigan like that.:rolleyes:

Quite convienient seeing as it was the last game of the season.:rolleyes:

2-1B
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
This could be a good year for the Big Ten, hopefully 1, 2, 3 will end up being
Buckeyes, Wolverines, and Badgers :)

Slicker
12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Buckeyes, Wolverines, and Badgers :)What's funny is that it's 100% possible too.

I almost feel bad for the poor Badgers. They're ranked #7 but don't get a BCS bowl because each conference can only get 2.:rolleyes: Yet another problem with the BCS. Luckily Wisconsin had the forsight to take an early bowl bid knowing that they'd never be placed higher than Michigan or Ohio State.

pbarnard
12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Buckeyes, Wolverines, and Badgers :)

The problem will be Michigan. Neither them or USC will want to play in the Rose Bowl. Most bowls are sloppy due to the lay offs (about the only positive of the early games, those teams execute better). In the we got a big pay off but don't care game, can either win? My bet is Lloyd Carr will try harder than Pete Caroll only for the fact his job is more on the line for not beating Tressel than anything. Go with most his bad bowl record, and well, there you go.

2-1B
12-03-2006, 10:55 PM
What's funny is that it's 100% possible too.

I almost feel bad for the poor Badgers. They're ranked #7 but don't get a BCS bowl because each conference can only get 2.:rolleyes: Yet another problem with the BCS. Luckily Wisconsin had the forsight to take an early bowl bid knowing that they'd never be placed higher than Michigan or Ohio State.

Bucky did get screwed but those are the rules and we all knew it would end up that way...even though I don't like the Buckeyes or Wolverines, I'm gonna root for the Big Ten teams in the Bowls. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
12-04-2006, 12:23 PM
South Bend is a &hore, why did they get into the BCS? Ohhh right becasue Regis Philbin gets what he wants!

kool-aid killer
12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
I saw that.:rolleyes:

Everyone was completely dead set against a rematch so I guess they got there way.:rolleyes:

I also don't understand how Florida can jump ahead of Michigan like that.:rolleyes:

Quite convienient seeing as it was the last game of the season.:rolleyes:

I cant explain the jump, but the fact that Florida had to play in the SEC championship game (and risk possibly losing that game and dropping out) while Michigan got to stay home with nothing to lose this past weekend probably helped Florida out. Cant say i wanted to see Michigan in the championship game anyways, they had their chance and lost. College football isnt (and shouldnt) be a best of series like basketball, hockey, and baseball. You get one shot to do it.

pbarnard
12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Everyone knows the reason why the Big 10 won't play after Thanksgiving right? It's got something to do with NCAA President/Indiana President Miles Brand. They start playing before school begins so that the season ends before finals. While hypocritical if they could be enticed by money, they are saying that academics around final exam time matters. Everyone know why the Big 10 won't play the SEC out of conference in any sport? Has to do with admission standards and the Big 10 producing the average ACT/SAT score of the SEC except Vanderbilt being insufficient to meet the minimum required scores of all 11 Big 10 schools (but yet they can't count) and alleged benefits athletes get. But digressing...

So what, Florida played one more game but after you get past the top tier in each division of the SEC, the bottom to middle schools are mediocre at best. Nothing changed on Michigan and they probably play in more rivalry games than any other school in the nation (in this part of the country Ann Arbor is a ***** shirts are a cottage industry the week of a Michigan game).

As to Notre Dame getting in, history 101. Without Notre Dame there is no college football period. National university reflecting the population of the states, rich alumni, and guaranteed ratings because half want them to win and half want them to fail. Also, able to sell out their ticket allotment, which is why the bowl system will never be replaced.

And finally, the one reason why the coaches don't want a playoff system (no matter how much Urban Meyer whines): the coaches get an extra month of practice in on average. If you are not bowl eligible and not invited, you have to stop practice and the maximum amount of contact time coaches are allowed with players is 3 hours/player (last i looked). Bowl teams get the benefit of (unlimited) practice hours, extra time for their HGH/dietary programs to be implemented, able to welcome in transfers and high schoolers who graduate in december without being subject to things like rules, clearning houses, and what not before spring and fall practice times.

These communities that host bowls go to great lengths to line up sponsors, entice fans to come with travel packages, etc. They want two things: your school to sell out it's package and bring more fans (why iowa gets to play in a bowl game and minnesota doesn't in the big 10 despite the Gophers winning head to head), and having close to all those left behind watching (so why you see Nebraska or LSU or Notre Dame going). 2 of those schools are regional, 1 leaves a peppering of people all over. Ratings and notariaty for your city/game.

2-1B
12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm on the side of Notre Dame, I'll have words and a hidden unsheathed blade for JimJam if he decides to keep up that talk.

JimJamBonds
12-06-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm on the side of Notre Dame, I'll have words and a hidden unsheathed blade for JimJam if he decides to keep up that talk.

Bring it on Rhegis! :p

Mad Slanted Powers
01-02-2007, 01:03 AM
What a finish to the Fiesta Bowl. Boise State is undefeated. Another monkey wrench in the BCS.

kool-aid killer
01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
One of the best football games ive ever seen. I was rooting for the Sooners, but i give credit to Boise State for trying even when the faces on their sideline looked beat. Its too bad one of them had to lose.

figrin bran
01-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Apparently, $aint Reggie was denied tickets from U$C to yesterday's Rose Bowl game because his request "came too late". This has prompted speculation within the LA media that the university is deeply concerned about the ongoing NCAA investigation into the improper benefits that Mr. Bush received last year.

It has also fueled speculation that Carroll will be heading to that coaching vacancy with the Arizona Cardinals, whose starting QB was given tickets to the Rose Bowl.

congrats to Boise State on their stellar 13-0 season! what are you going to do now, BCS? :p

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2007, 12:13 PM
What will the BCS do? Continue to ignore legitimate criticism and claim that "the best two" still play each other. By "the best two," I mean what a decimal determines is the best.

Boise State is a great story. I was rooting for them because a) I always like an underdog, b) FOX was dissing them from the start with their "fair and balanced" coverage, so see "a" above, c) I love multiple undefeated teams (go Buckeyes in ONE WEEK from now :confused: ), and d) a blue Astroturf school has to get some support. That game was as heart-stopping as last year's Indianapolis-Pittsburgh playoff game. Awesome, awesome.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-02-2007, 08:02 PM
What will the BCS do?I propose the BCS should defer to BCJ.

Boise State is a great story. I was rooting for them because a) I always like an underdog, b) FOX was dissing them from the start with their "fair and balanced" coverage, so see "a" above,I believe all the Rose Bowl pre-game commentators picked Michigan, and they got whooped.
d) a blue Astroturf school has to get some support. Indeed. I watched a little bit of the MPC Computers Bowl at Boise St. Something about that blue field made it seem smaller, like they were playing Arena ball.
That game was as heart-stopping as last year's Indianapolis-Pittsburgh playoff game. Awesome, awesome.Most definitely. I was rooting for Boise St., so that interception return kind of made things look bleak. However, they still had a minute left. That lateral play worked to perfection. Then they go for two in OT and pull another trick out of the hat. Amazing.

JetsAndHeels
01-03-2007, 12:30 AM
The TarHeels will be going bowling either next season or the one after it. Mark it down.

JimJamBonds
01-03-2007, 12:20 PM
congrats to Boise State on their stellar 13-0 season! what are you going to do now, BCS? :p

Well after they get done swiming in the pool of money they made they'll realise its about time to make more money hand over fist with March Madness.

On a serious note there will be another BCS game in the next year or two (not sure when it starts) but it won't really solve anything. They won't change the system because it makes too much money plain and simple. All of the other divisions have a playoff system so the cries about "student athletes" is bunk and they know it.

Luuuuuuke
01-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't get carried away thinking Boise State deserves a shot at the national title(though I like the idea of a playoff). Boise State does not play the schedule of top flight Pac 10 or SEC schools, so they don't get banged up from week to week like USC or Florida. Look at USC. They beat up a very good Cal team, destroyed Notre Dame and Oregon, then lost to UCLA. Then they proceeded to kill Michigan, a team a lot of people thought should play Ohio State.

I'm sure Boise State is a fine team and they played in one of the greatest football games ever, and I would not mind seeing them in a championship playoff, but I still think they would lose, and probably badly, to teams like Ohio State, USC, LSU and Florida. And they wouldn't go undefeated in those conferences.

Kidhuman
01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Plus Boise state wears uniforms to match the smurf turf, so you cant see em coming to tackle you

Mad Slanted Powers
01-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't get carried away thinking Boise State deserves a shot at the national title(though I like the idea of a playoff). Boise State does not play the schedule of top flight Pac 10 or SEC schools, so they don't get banged up from week to week like USC or Florida. Look at USC. They beat up a very good Cal team, destroyed Notre Dame and Oregon, then lost to UCLA. Then they proceeded to kill Michigan, a team a lot of people thought should play Ohio State.

I'm sure Boise State is a fine team and they played in one of the greatest football games ever, and I would not mind seeing them in a championship playoff, but I still think they would lose, and probably badly, to teams like Ohio State, USC, LSU and Florida. And they wouldn't go undefeated in those conferences.

Ohio State's non-conference games: Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, and Bowling Green.

Northern Illinois lost to TCU 37-7
TCU lost to Utah 20-7
Utah lost to Boise St. 36-3

Cincinnati is playing in the Cotton Bowl, but they were only 5th in their conference. Bowling Green was 4-8.

Florida's non-conference schedule included the powerhouses Western Carolina and Central Florida.

Boise State's non-conference schedule: Sacramento St., Oregon St. and Wyoming.

Sac St was only 4-7 (4-4 conference) in the Big Sky, but Boise St. shut them out 45-0.

Oregon St. was 10-4 (6-3) for third in the Pac-10 and won their bowl game over Missouri. They lost to USC by only 2 points, 33-31, but Boise St. beat them 42-14.

Wyoming was 6-6 (5-3) in the MWC.

Other WAC teams in bowls:

San Jose St beat New Mexico 20-12
Hawaii beat Arizona St. 41-24
Nevada lost to Miami 21-20

My point is that if given the chance to play the better teams, these other conferences can do well. Sure, on average the major conferences will win more and maybe win big. That doesn't stop the basketball tournament from inviting teams with no chance. The system that is in place for football seems to reward the usual teams from the usual conferences. I can understand the major conferences getting more bowl berths because of the depth of quality teams there, but when a team ends a season unbeaten they should be champion, or co-champion if they aren't given a chance to play for the championship.

Slicker
01-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Just because one team plays well against one team than another means nothing. When Ohio St. beats the s**t out of Florida it doesn't mean that Michigan would necessarily beat Florida (although they would ;)) it just means that Ohio St. can play Florida better than other teams.

It all depends on how well you play against a certain defense/offense.

Just because I'm better than Caesar, and Caesar is better than KH, and KH is better than Cappy, doesn't mean I'm better than Cappy (although we ALL know that's true.)

figrin bran
01-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Slicker, you and Cappy are from a weaker conference and so the BCS deducts .45 for that. :p

JimJamBonds
01-04-2007, 01:10 AM
On a serious note there will be another BCS game in the next year or two (not sure when it starts) but it won't really solve anything. They won't change the system because it makes too much money plain and simple. All of the other divisions have a playoff system so the cries about "student athletes" is bunk and they know it.

EDIT:

Yeah... so... ahhh...... that extra game starts this year. :rolleyes:

How 'bout them Golden Domers ehh! :p

Mad Slanted Powers
01-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Just because one team plays well against one team than another means nothing. When Ohio St. beats the s**t out of Florida it doesn't mean that Michigan would necessarily beat Florida (although they would ;)) it just means that Ohio St. can play Florida better than other teams.
Exactly, and that is why you can't discount a team just because of their conference or who they played. I just read an article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=fiesta87) on ESPN's website about the 1987 Fiesta Bowl.
[Jimmy Johnson] saw no real reason for his team to leave Florida, home of the Orange Bowl, the Citrus Bowl and the Gator Bowl. His team had outscored its opponents 420-136, had already beaten Oklahoma, the defending national champion, and had been No. 1 ever since. Whoever they played, wherever they played, it would be a formality, a culmination of a season guided by destiny. What was the point in hauling across the country to play a team that might have been undefeated, yes, but had nearly lost to Cincinnati and barely beaten Maryland?
Penn State's QB had a terrible game, but their defense kept them in it, and Miami turned the ball over too many times, including 5 INTs by Testeverde. Penn State won 14-10.

JetsAndHeels
01-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Miami turned the ball over too many times, including 5 INTs by Testeverde.

That is the Vinny I know and love!!

I didn't see ND/LSU tonight bc I was at the Carolina game, but I heard on the radio what a sick night Russell had for the Tigers. That guy may have just pulled a Vince Young and raised his stock in the NFL Draft should he decide to declare.

Kidhuman
01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Just because I'm better than Caesar, and Caesar is better than KH, and KH is better than Cappy, doesn't mean I'm better than Cappy (although we ALL know that's true.)

Dude, I am better than you and would beat you any minute of the day.

Slicker
01-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Dude, I am better than you and would beat you any minute of the day.Not according to my BCS ranking you aren't!!!

figrin bran
01-04-2007, 12:08 PM
That is the Vinny I know and love!!

I didn't see ND/LSU tonight bc I was at the Carolina game, but I heard on the radio what a sick night Russell had for the Tigers. That guy may have just pulled a Vince Young and raised his stock in the NFL Draft should he decide to declare.

He's going to see his stock skyrocket for a bit but then the draft pundits are going to criticize his throwing motions and then he's going to score a 10 on the wonderlic :p

JaMarcus, you better think long and hard about entering the draft b/c you might end up a Raider and be surrounded by less talent than you have currently!

CaptainSolo1138
01-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Not according to my BCS ranking you aren't!!!For now. Your constant beating of it will, however, lead to fewer "strength of schedule" points in the future.

figrin bran
01-09-2007, 12:05 AM
THE Buckeyes choke again.

if there are such things as the Football Gods, then this was punishment for their incessant "THE Ohio State University" talk.

2-1B
01-09-2007, 12:54 AM
pretty much, Fig ! :thumbsup:

The Suckeyes prove once again that "Columbus is a w hore." lol lol lol

kool-aid killer
01-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Im happy, ive got a disdain for Big 10 teams. Seeing their two best get busted up in their bowl games was great.

figrin bran
01-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Don't worry about it, Dwayne Jarrett, you're making the best decision of your life! :thumbsup:
you'll love your new boss Mr. Millen.

false congratulations but a full hearted thank you for never ever torching the bruins again.