PDA

View Full Version : Smallville Season 6 begins Sept. 28th

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tycho
09-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey Superman fans: Smallville Season 6 is coming. We have a week until Sn5 will be out on DVD, and it all will amp us up for the return of Clark from The Phantom Zone! (All bow before Zod!)

I read an interesting interview with (show creator and executive) Al Gogh that says this season will see Lex Luthor turn completely evil (Awesome!) and the overriding theme will be the descent into darkness as even Clark's mom turned politician is corrupted by life's circumstances, and Lex drags Lana down with him! But we all know that ONE MAN will stand up against it all!

So get ready for this year's amazing Smallville thread on SSG (Smallville Story Guide.com).

Slicker
09-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I so meant to ask in the Smallville thread last night.

I can't wait to see the new season.

JetsAndHeels
09-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah, i like superman a little.

Tycho
09-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Anyone know when Superman Returns will be available on DVD?

I'm sure it will be a Christmas item, but may come out well before that.

JetsAndHeels
09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
It will be out sometime in November, along with the video game.

figrin bran
09-06-2006, 02:39 AM
it just seemed like yesterday that JT and J&H were having a discussion over the finale not being all that grand.

i was only joking at the end of last season about lana saying "you're going down a path i can't follow!" but it looks like it's coming true! anyone else with me in the "i love kristen but !@#!#)*8 hate lana" club? ;)

Tycho
09-06-2006, 02:47 AM
I love Kristin too much to ever dislike Lana.

Kristin is the first example of a perfect girl for me! No one tops her!

figrin bran
09-06-2006, 11:18 AM
so i guess you're not in, tycho? ;)

oops, i spelled her name with an "e" at the end and not an "i".

JetsAndHeels
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I love Kristin too much to ever dislike Lana.

Kristin is the first example of a perfect girl for me! No one tops her!

Erica Durance has her beat. She is not only superior in looks and personality but she is also much more important to the Superman story as a whole.
Sorry bud, thems the facts. :D

Slicker
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Don't let him fool you Tycho. I'm in the same boat as you. Lana is flippin' hot and I think she deserves an appreciation thread...but I'm too lazy to make one right now.

JetsAndHeels
09-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah Lana is hot and all, but my point is that her character has pretty much become the center of the show. I think where I first had a real problem with her was in the 100th episode where Clark has her saved and then when Jonathan dies he hardly shows the grief he did after losing Lana the first time.
Those of you who know alot about the Superman story will know that Lana Lang's character is a childhood crush; a sweetheart, a good friend. Clark isn't obsessed with her. He does not stay down and depressed thinking about her and acting like a whipped puppy. He moves on, he embraces his powers, becomes Superman and falls in love with Lois Lane.

Tycho
09-06-2006, 08:57 PM
He's getting there. But we each aren't born with our adult personality - Clark had to develop it. Smallville explores just that:

- his upbringing by his Mom and Pa.

- his first crush and real girlfriend - where Lana fits in.

- his best friends: Pete, Chloe, and Lex who will turn on him.

- his feelings of responsibility to deal with the consequences of meteor freaks, Kryptonian enemies of his natural father, and just plain old bad guys - plus what will utlimately evolve from Lex Luthor (as Lex is making a similar journey down his own darker path).

Now Lex is getting really bad and Lionnel Luthor is being pushed out of the story's way, Lana has become detached from Clark and they're both moving on, and perhaps the beginnings of an attachment with Lois Lane will form - though remember she is in love with Superman and traditionally doesn't recognize him as Clark. Smallville can turn all of that on end if they want to - I mean Lois is smart on the show and she'd be able to tell Clark and Superman are the same person even if Superman put on nerd glasses and acted clumsier than we ever saw Clark behave (unless Lois gets a Kryptonite necklace like Lana had).

figrin bran
09-06-2006, 10:37 PM
1. Kristin
2. Allison
3. Erica

at some point Lois is going to have to stop calling Clark "smallville" all the time and i refuse to believe that Chloe will ever turn on him.

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I am a card-carrying member of "Kristin good; Lana bad" club, and I'd add that "Erica a'ight; Lois bleah" club to the roster as well.

figrin bran
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
anyone for allison good, chloe good?

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I'm down. They need to write more for Chloe though, they been getting kinda slack there like they were with Martha & Jonathan where they never left the farmhouse.

JetsAndHeels
09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Anybody buy season 5 yet?

Tycho
09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Anybody buy season 5 yet?

I wasn't planning on it for a while.

First, I'm watching the end of Season 5 as it airs on TV each Thursday night because I missed last season's finale and don't want to try and watch the whole season out of order in the next 14 days to play catch up. I saw most of Sn 5 anyway - just need to view a few episodes.

It's been fun, too: I saw that one with the invisible hitman killer dude that tried to do favors for Clark and date Lois. It was my first time seeing that one and it was fun tuning into a fresh show even though a lot of you had already seen it.

Second, I'm busy watching all 5 years of The A-Team on DVD. I'm just starting Season 3 of the show. Season 5 of the A-Team comes out October 8th, but I can pick up Sn. 4 any day I'm ready now. I forgot how enjoyable that show was. I'm hardly wanting ANYTHING else to watch! (Like I noted: I have Smallville every Thursday night). I'll get Smallville Sn 5 sooner than later - just probably not until October or I'm all done with The A-Team and likely re-watching all my "Shield" DVDs. (I don't think Sn 5 of The Shield will be out until November or December anyway).

But along with Star Trek, these are my favorite shows and the only ones I collect on DVD - though I'm considering getting Miami Vice, though I think I've settled on shunning Knight Rider.

JetsAndHeels
09-18-2006, 03:06 PM
The September 25 issue of TV Guide magazine (hitting subscriber mailboxes today!) features a new scoop from Michael Ausiello that Tori Spelling (Beverly Hills 90210, So NoTORIous) will be making an appearance on Smallville this season.

I wonder if Dylan, Steve, and Brenda will show up too!!

She will be playing a Daily Planet gossip columnist. Apprarently its been discovered her character will also have super powers involving turning herself into water.

At first I thought they may be casting a Cat Grant character, but it doesn't look like that now.

figrin bran
09-28-2006, 11:26 AM
don't forget the premiere is tonight!

Tycho
09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Tonight was awesome. That was one heck of a season premier!

I'll have to wait and digest it for a while before I have any more specific comments. But there was no part of it I did not like. Nice job, Smallville!

Oh - one thing - when Zod was banished at the end, with Clark holding the crest of the House of El - I could just hear the Superman John Williams theme music start to play.

figrin bran
09-29-2006, 01:43 AM
how come lex gets the benefit of a doubt from lana but not clark???

for a brief instant, there was actually hope for lana when she set off on her crusade to rid the world of zod. lana, you shoulda tried to stab him with a dummy knife and then before he can react, stab him with the real knife.

pbarnard
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I like all the little allusions to previous Superman. There was the obvious "Kneel before Zod" that's Superman II. There was Jimmy Olson refering to Clark Kent as C.K from Lois & Clark. I missed any to the George Reeves TV superman, but it had to be in there as well.

Oh, and the music was building up to the Fortress of Solitude/Krypton theme, but it never quite resolved itself.

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 07:58 PM
how come lex gets the benefit of a doubt from lana but not clark??? No kidding, that was totally lame! If nothing else, she knows Lex has some sort of personal interest in this, he told her to meet him at the Luthorcorp roof, that should suggest he was complicit or expecting this.

I was annoyed with this episode, just about everything was a contrived plot device, it's like the whole episode was deus ex machina.

The end battle annoyed me, it should have been a crazy knock-down drag-out, it's not like Zod knows anything about his Earth powers yet, Clark's out-witted other new-to-their-powers guys before even when they're willing to be more direct about their powers.

That was so wacky when the CG Zod spirit blasted out of Lex and it was the Superman II movie version.

I thought Michael Rosenbaum totally sucked in this ep, very disappointing performance. Tom Welling fared better, but had little to do because of how little time we got to spend on his storyline. And why is it that Clark is ALWAYS too stupid to clean up and look for important debris after the big battles? I'm totally sick of that plot device - he's got superspeed and xray vision, it can't be that hard!

Tycho
09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
That was so wacky when the CG Zod spirit blasted out of Lex and it was the Superman II movie version.

No way! That was seriously crazy-cool!

I thought Michael Rosenbaum totally sucked in this ep, very disappointing performance.

I saw "Terrence Stamp" in Mike's performance. He did great, actually. And it helped finally make me see Lex Luthor as the threat he'll become.

Now that I've seen Kevin Spacey and Mike perform, I'd say they ran circles around Gene Hackman (though I love most of everything else that Hackman's done)

figrin bran
09-29-2006, 09:57 PM
I thought Michael Rosenbaum totally sucked in this ep, very disappointing performance. Tom Welling fared better, but had little to do because of how little time we got to spend on his storyline. And why is it that Clark is ALWAYS too stupid to clean up and look for important debris after the big battles? I'm totally sick of that plot device - he's got superspeed and xray vision, it can't be that hard!

looking for important debris after big battles??? what do you think this is? Lego SW II??? :p

JediTricks
09-30-2006, 08:43 PM
No way! That was seriously crazy-cool!Well, it was "crazy" anyway. :p

I saw "Terrence Stamp" in Mike's performance. He did great, actually. And it helped finally make me see Lex Luthor as the threat he'll become.I think you saw what you wanted to see there, I don't see any parallels between them at all. I always thought Lex was an awesome potential threat on this show, didn't need some Kryptonian general to bring it out.

looking for important debris after big battles??? what do you think this is? Lego SW II??? :pHeh heh! But come on, he knows there's a Kryptonian artifact at the scene, he knows Lex tries to reverse-engineer that sort of stuff when he finds it, this happens over and over on the show.

Droid
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I think it would have made a significant amount of sense for Lana to have taken some KRYPTONITE with her. I think she used it in the episode with the two Kryptonians last season. Also, if she doesn't know about Kryptonite then Martha could have told her. (Does Lionel know it is Clark's weakness? I don't remember.) Also, when Clark went to confront Zod why didn't he take some in a lead case or something? Zod might have been surprised by it.

I thought the Zod-Clark fight was pretty decent. But yet Clark still doesn't think he can fly? At this point is she just CHOOSING not to?

I did not care for the Phantom Zone business. I like the Zone more as just being trapped in the spinning crystal for all eternity. I don't think of it as a wasteland of some sort and definietly not as a place you can die. I thought the fact that Jor-El designed it so that his descendants could get out was pretty cool. (Poor Lara couldn't have escaped without Jor-El or Kal-El though!)

Did it look like the other Kryptonians escaped with Clark? Was the spirit at the end Zod, one of the other Kryptonians, or just a disembodied criminal? Why would the other Kryptonians be disembodied? If it was Zod, why would he be on the loose and why on the other side of the world?

Did Jor-El bring the plane to the Fortress? I thought Fine flew it off course. Is it just a ridiculous coincidence that the plane crashed near the Fortress?

Riddle me this. When Jonathon had superpowers it left his human body permanently weakened and it eventually killed him. What do you want to bet Lex doesn't have the same problem?

I hate how they set up these enormous cliffhangers and then always wrap it up in the first episode. Why not take some time with it? They always drag the plot along episode by episode when they could space the big developments out a bit more.

Why did Lex destroy the ship if he could have used it to remake Earth? It seemed like the whole Pentagon trip was just a unexplained plot device.

So now Clark likes Chloe, but she is over it and into Jimmy? Even though Jimmy supposedly was a mistake in her life?

I liked Martha's conversation with Jor-El. "We have both lost much Martha Kent."

Once again, I am tired of Jor-El as a God who can pretty much do anything.

Pity Lionel is likely evil again. I always think he is more interesting as a reformed man.

JediTricks
10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I did not care for the Phantom Zone business. I like the Zone more as just being trapped in the spinning crystal for all eternity. I don't think of it as a wasteland of some sort and definietly not as a place you can die.
The zone has been portrayed several different ways, the LEAST of which was the Superman movie version which was WAY off the mark (oddly, the Supergirl movie version of the Zone rectified that making that zone more similar to the one we got on Smallville).

Did it look like the other Kryptonians escaped with Clark?They definitely did, Jor-El's back door concept was really badly designed since it could just filter El bloodlines out anyway.

Was the spirit at the end Zod, one of the other Kryptonians, or just a disembodied criminal? Why would the other Kryptonians be disembodied? If it was Zod, why would he be on the loose and why on the other side of the world?Definitely Zod.

Did Jor-El bring the plane to the Fortress? I thought Fine flew it off course. Is it just a ridiculous coincidence that the plane crashed near the Fortress?I thought Fine was flying it intentionally to the Fortress.

Riddle me this. When Jonathon had superpowers it left his human body permanently weakened and it eventually killed him. What do you want to bet Lex doesn't have the same problem?That was the cost Jor-El gave Jonathan for bringing back Clark.

I hate how they set up these enormous cliffhangers and then always wrap it up in the first episode. Why not take some time with it? They always drag the plot along episode by episode when they could space the big developments out a bit more.Totally agree! This one was among the worst, no time for story, just show stuff happening with the thinnest of pretexts.

Why did Lex destroy the ship if he could have used it to remake Earth? It seemed like the whole Pentagon trip was just a unexplained plot device.The Pentagon thing was to get control of the Army satellites, also to explain how Lana could get away without Zod noticing. It was really thin. No idea why he toasted the ship.

So now Clark likes Chloe, but she is over it and into Jimmy? Even though Jimmy supposedly was a mistake in her life?Yeah, more cheesy soap opera BS, that part sucked.

Once again, I am tired of Jor-El as a God who can pretty much do anything.Yeah, I am sick of him being a character at all really, he's just a computer program.

Pity Lionel is likely evil again. I always think he is more interesting as a reformed man.Is he evil now? I hadn't picked up on that.

JetsAndHeels
10-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Here is the CW's official description for Thursday's episode, entitled "Sneeze":

CLARK DEVELOPS A NEW SUPERPOWER — Clark (Tom Welling) works hard to clean up the destruction done by Zod and develops what he thinks is his first cold. However, he soon discovers it is a new power – super breath! Lois (Erica Durance) lands a job at The Inquisitor, the local tabloid, and Lana (Kristin Kreuk) moves in with Lex (Michael Rosenbaum, who believes someone is following him, which quickly proves to be true after he is kidnapped. Allison Mack, John Glover and Annette O’Toole also star. Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer wrote the episode directed by Paul Shapiro.

Droid
10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Is he evil now? I hadn't picked up on that.

I thought at the end when Lionel had said that Jor-El had left him and he was shown looking at/writing the Kryptonian symbols and had written, "POWER." that it meant that Lionel was back to his old ways.

pbarnard
10-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I thought it had more to do with developing a power source...LexCorp is an industrial business that branches out into things like that (sort of a Bell Labs/Lucent Technology/BASF)

Tycho
10-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Wasn't LexCorp bought out by LuthorCorp several seasons ago?

Lex created LexCorp with an employee buy-out from his father's division in LuthorCorp as sort of a rebellion. But I thought Lionnel got him back and retook all the divisons that were his before. Then Lex was offered a position back in LuthorCorp, but when he sent his father away to prison (season 4), Lex inherited all of LuthorCorp and became its owner-president and CEO. He gave Lionnel a place back inside the company when he got out of prison, but Lex runs the show.

JediTricks
10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I thought at the end when Lionel had said that Jor-El had left him and he was shown looking at/writing the Kryptonian symbols and had written, "POWER." that it meant that Lionel was back to his old ways.
I took that as another ZOD-esque warning that he didn't realize he had in his head.

I don't want to judge tomorrow's ep based on its brief synopsis, but the synopsis sounds meh.

Tycho
10-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I caught this episode last night. It was the superbreath one. Pretty good actually. I usually enjoy Smallville. I liked Lois in her short jogging shorts.

figrin bran
10-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Green Arrow!

Droid
10-06-2006, 11:01 AM
So is the ability to produce cold breath a different power or does Clark now know he has the ability to freeze stuff with his breath?

I kept waiting for there to be a cold element to his breath. I thought when Martha took his temperature that the temperature would be low or freezing.

It really is laughable that the government hasn't pieced together that Lex Luthor attacked the Pentagon, even if electronics weren't working.

And why was Green Arrow's satellite working?

I thought it was a pretty good episode.

I tire of the way Lana treats Clark. Even if he wouldn't ever be totally straight with her, she has never known him to be a bad person. And she knows he saved her life about a billion times. You think she could cut him some slack.

JetsAndHeels
10-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I tire of the way Lana treats Clark. Even if he wouldn't ever be totally straight with her, she has never known him to be a bad person. And she knows he saved her life about a billion times. You think she could cut him some slack.

I am just sick of Lana period. The show would be alot better if she wasn't on there anymore.

JediTricks
10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Freeze breath... one of the powers I really hope they don't bother with, it's related to super-breath but adds "cold" through unexplained means, it's very Silver Age in that they pull this unrelated power out of their behinds willy-nilly without any rhyme or reason - Superman's "super hypnotism" and "super ventriloquism" are others.

I didn't care for this episode, it was too soon for jokey stuff, they did an awful job explaining why Clark was sick and how he never noticed he had super-powered lungs before, Lois becoming a reporter was such a piece of junk, and the Lex plotline just felt out of place. Plus, Lana is no longer even remotely the character that Clark will meet again as an adult, there's no way to connect Kristin's character to the actual character (and it shouldn't have been that hard, Lana wasn't that well developed as a character in the comics) - no way in hell I buy she'd get all nasty with Clark over saving Lex, and how can she not consider that Lex's camera in her bedroom has TIVO'ed a scene of her topless??? That's not innocent! They need to write this character an "out" quickly, maybe have her still possessed or have some secret long-term plot to catch or defeat Lex where she has to act like a total jerkface.

If they can't do anything else to redeem her character, then at least she should realize the error of her ways, make nice with Clark and then run off to see the world again so that Clark gets to move on with his life without that dumb soap opera bullcrap hanging over him.

I didn't buy Ollie "Green Arrow" Queen in this ep, hopefully they repair the damage they did with the bad casting and writing by writing him better next week.

Tycho
10-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Wasn't he the actor that didn't get Milar and Gogh's unbought Aquaman series?

figrin bran
10-07-2006, 12:37 AM
oops i forgot to post my share of the lana bashing comments.

JT, you took the words right out of my mouth. WHY does peeping lex get the benefit of a doubt from her while she acts like a total wench towards Clark all the time???? how many times have we seen him save her sorry little life while remaining unseen in the shadows? if i were him, i'd show myself and tell her look lana, i've saved your life billions of times. i even went back in time just to save you only to end up losing my father. and then just walk away.

Tycho
10-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Underneathe it all, Lana still loves Clark and wants him on her terms. Thus his lying to her wounds her more. She probably expects that behavior from Lex as she's been in business with him already (The Talon) and knows him pretty well).

JediTricks
10-07-2006, 05:03 PM
One of the things I think is going on is that Kristin Kreuk is a "star" of the show but the writers just don't know what the hell to do with her character, it's a pretty 1-note character and they never moved her forward in life really, and it doesn't help that Kristin is getting badly outpaced in the acting category by nearly everybody else on the show (Even Erica "Lois" Durance who is a pretty "meh" actor is playing more of an adult than Kristin). They can't get rid of her and they don't know what to do with her, so - straight out of the soap opera playbook - they just move her on to the next available guy which is the ONLY guy in this case, and since it's Lex that means she has to be enemies of Clark.

JetsAndHeels
10-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Once again, here are the things about Lana that annoy the hell outta me:

-She is NOT this much of a major character in the Superman story
-She does NOT make Clark act like a depressed little whipped puppy everyday of his life, yet the writers have taken it upon themselves to go that route
-If she is going to be this big on the show, at least make her character somewhat likeable...Sorry folks, but good looks will only get you so far. Yeah, it was great and all for a season or 2 but now her little act is getting very old
-If they can get rid of a guy like Pete Ross they can definately get rid of Lana Lang...in the end they were about the same in Clark's life. In fact they got married in the comics so lets have Lana move to Wichita and hook it up with Pete so we never see her again.
-Lois Lane, not Lana Lang is the single biggest female character in Clark's life second only to Martha Kent.....however this show has received the "wb treatment" and made it more into Lana's show than anything else. Its time to move on from Lana and get other people involved

Tycho
10-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I love Kristin Kreuk - she's the single-most attractive girl I can think of!

However, I have to agree with many here about where Lana's character may be lingering / stagnating.

Perhaps she does need to disappear for a while? Though things need to get reconciled with Clark so they can be "just friends." I think she also eventually learns Clark's secret.

As to Lois, remember that she is in love with Superman and thinks there's a distinct difference between "the man of steel" and Clark Kent, farm boy turned major nerd in metropolis.

Smallville does not have to follow the movie premises, any comic book pattern, or any of that, however, it might. We'll just have to wait and see.

If it does stay true to anything movie or comic related, Lois and Clark will not get together and somehow she never identifies him as Superman.

figrin bran
10-08-2006, 02:13 AM
-Lois Lane, not Lana Lang is the single biggest female character in Clark's life second only to Martha Kent.....however this show has received the "wb treatment" and made it more into Lana's show than anything else. Its time to move on from Lana and get other people involved

well it's no longer the "wb treatment" but the "cw treatment" :D

JediTricks
10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
As to Lois, remember that she is in love with Superman and thinks there's a distinct difference between "the man of steel" and Clark Kent, farm boy turned major nerd in metropolis.The Superman Returns movie got this wrong - in the Superman mythos, Lois essentially has a crush on Superman but over time falls in love with her co-worker Clark Kent - strange how SR got it wrong since Superman II was closer to the mark when Clark even gave up his superpowers to court Lois (and being a mere human now, one has to wonder how Clark could impregnate Lois with a Kryptonian super-son, but that's a carefully-treaded discussion for the movie thread).

Tycho
10-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Still, in Superman I and Superman II (the Christopher Reeve movies), Lois barely starts to suspect Clark is Superman by the Niagara Falls incident and she barely pays attention to him before then. If she's known him for years, as is now being asserted by Smallville, would a pair of glasses really fool her into not recognizing Clark and Superman as one in the same?

The only way I see around this is something happens to Lois towards the end of Smallville - maybe a stay at Summerholt where she gets her brain fried? Then she loses her memory of being Chief of Staff to Senator Kent (isn't she still doing that? So how does she have time to be a reporter?) And she loses her memory of finding Clark naked in a field and living with the Kents on their farm.

If they can do this, then perhaps Clark Kent won't be so familiar to her anymore - and maybe - just maybe - Clark encourages her to stay at the Daily Planet so he can keep an eye on her?

JediTricks
10-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Still, in Superman I and Superman II (the Christopher Reeve movies), Lois barely starts to suspect Clark is Superman by the Niagara Falls incident and she barely pays attention to him before then. If she's known him for years, as is now being asserted by Smallville, would a pair of glasses really fool her into not recognizing Clark and Superman as one in the same?He also combs his hair on the other side, and acts like he has a different personality. Then there's the ridiculous pre-'80s comics reasonings - he has super-hypnotism which fools people into seeing him differently, he can compress his spine to be several inches shorter. But really, Lois has never known Clark without glasses until this Smallville thing, and it's pretty lame.

The only way I see around this is something happens to Lois towards the end of Smallville - maybe a stay at Summerholt where she gets her brain fried? Then she loses her memory of being Chief of Staff to Senator Kent (isn't she still doing that? So how does she have time to be a reporter?) And she loses her memory of finding Clark naked in a field and living with the Kents on their farm.

If they can do this, then perhaps Clark Kent won't be so familiar to her anymore - and maybe - just maybe - Clark encourages her to stay at the Daily Planet so he can keep an eye on her?Yeah, and maybe the mindwipe will erase all the news articles about her and photos of her and Clark and the minds of all the casual friends she has who might say anything to her. :p

Tycho
10-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah, and maybe the mindwipe will erase all the news articles about her and photos of her and Clark and the minds of all the casual friends she has who might say anything to her. :p

Like who? Chloe? She is either going to get killed towards the end of Smallville, or she will forever keep Clark's secret. My bet is that she will get killed and it will be related to keeping Clark's secret, thus he clamps down tighter on controlling who knows what about him.

But: Pete's out of the picture. Lex will probably know but will be Clark's enemy. If Chloe's dead? Who? Lana? She might or might not know - but her romantic life with Clark seems to be over - and I'd predict it will end badly with Lex anyway. But Lana and Lois are not really friends anyway. (They don't dislike each other - they just don't mingle, that's what I mean).

The only other casual friends the show has let Clark and Lois have in common, who know anything, might be Aquaman - off the top of my head. Lois never met The Flash. It remains to be seen whether she'll meet Green Arrow - and I know very little about the latter two of these SuperFriends anyway.

I would like to see Batman / Bruce Wayne brought into the picture somehow. And would it be impossibly costly to get Christian Bale to do a TV appearance?

Droid
10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't see what is so ridiculous about freeze breath. No more silly than heat vision.

I don't think Lex will know Clark and Superman are one and the same at the end of the show, though I would love to know how Lex could be so dumb as to not figure it out.

Good point about Lois working for Martha, Tycho! Does she really want her chief of staff writing for a tabloid?

Tycho
10-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Martha is a STATE Senator, right? She serves in Metropolis I guess (if that's the ficticious capital of the state in Smallville as opposed to Topeka or something)?

She can't be the US Senator to Washington, D.C.

Meanwhile, who the heck runs the farm? I'm sure Clark can do all the farm chores with superspeed, however, that would be suspicious.

If Martha serves in the Senate, she must make enough that she can afford to hire some farm hands. In turn, by paying them to run the ranch, she'll make additional money from the ranch proceeds (invest and take the return). (Introducing a farmhand here or there might make a good plot or b-story, just to at least add to some realism)

She may not always serve in the Senate, as the legend goes that Clark sends his paychecks from the Daily Planet home to her - not "Mom's rich - so she doesn't need my money. I'm going to get the new pickup truck of the week."

Lex Luthor is supposed to eventually either become President or take over the United States by a short-lived coup stopped by Superman of course. If it's the former, a political path for Lex should be presented:

1) state government (Senate or Governor of Kansas)
2) Federal legislature (US House or Senate representing Kansas)
3) President of the US (if he's ever elected to that position)*

*Lex will try to invade Krypton to search for weapons of mass destruction. When his military spending with his own companies are criticized and word gets out that Krypton does not exist anymore, Lex will say "you see: they destroyed themselves with weapons of mass destruction. And they are religious fanatics as they all must kneel before Zod!" :p

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't see what is so ridiculous about freeze breath. No more silly than heat vision.Heat vision was conceptualized by the x-rays heating things up, he was able to focus the x-ray vision into a heat-powering vision. Heat is a by product of radiation, Clark absorbs radiation from the sun, that makes some small amount of sense - but freeze breath, what does that come from, reverse-radiation? Clark's arctic lungs?

Droid
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I agree that super-ventriliquist and super-hypnotist are dumb. I have always hated how Superman made Lois forget he was Superman by kissing her at the end of Superman II. I also hate turning the world back in Superman I by the way.

But I always thought Superman had freeze breath. He did on Superfriends. He did in Superman II and Superman III (I know Superman III sucked). I thought I had read that in the comics since the relaunch in the '80's. Has he not done that in the comics in the past twenty years?

Here are two theories I found on the web, neither of which I really understand:

I:

Super Breath: Superman has the power to release gail force winds from his lungs. It has also been shown that he can create ice blocks from his breath, as well as freeze objects and opponents. Again, the psionic portion of his powers are made evident by these depictions. The only way for objects to freeze is if their molecular composition slows down in motion at an incredible rate. The application of intense winds from Supeerman's breath is not sufficient to freeze things. Since Superman can agitate molecules to increase in motion, it is possible that he can do the reverse. He may even be using the same effect that amplifies converted solar energy in reverse. It's obvious that the actual energy content of the solar energy he's absorbed over 30+ years isn't enough for even one superfeat. He must be using it as a catalyst to access higher-order energies through an unknown physical mechanism. That same amplification mechanism could also be reversed to dampen or neutralize energies in the environment to produce freeze breath. Addtionally, his vast lung capacity is not physically possible given the dimensions of the humanoid physique. This implies that his super-breath also includes tesseract type properties."

II:

Assuming he metabolizes oxygen at a rate similar to to natural human rates, and can hold his breath for 12 hours, this means he has taken in about 360 times the oxygen a normal human can take in.

It is possible that his natural biotelekinetic field can allow him supercompress air into his lungs while still allowing him to utilize it to metabolic processes. When expelled forcefully this air would immediately vaporize, or even sublimate depending on its compression, creating very, very strong winds, at subzero temperatures.

Tycho
10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Maybe he has midichlorians? :rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
10-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Here is what the Ultimate Guide to Superman says concerning his freeze-breath powers:

With careful training, the Man of Steel has developed amazing breathing powers. He is able to condense oxygen in his lungs to a pressurized and super-cold state, or hold his breath in outer space for long periods. He can exhale a super-concentrated gust to snuff out blazing fires or flash-freeze violent villains into submission.

JediTricks
10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
I agree that super-ventriliquist and super-hypnotist are dumb. I have always hated how Superman made Lois forget he was Superman by kissing her at the end of Superman II. I also hate turning the world back in Superman I by the way.Yeah, I hated both as well, made no sense at all. And how come only in the last few years folks have been asking what the hell that cellophane S shield gimmick from Superman II was about.

But I always thought Superman had freeze breath. He did on Superfriends. He did in Superman II and Superman III (I know Superman III sucked). I thought I had read that in the comics since the relaunch in the '80's. Has he not done that in the comics in the past twenty years?I dunno, I guess he has, but not as much.

Super Breath: Superman has the power to release gail force winds from his lungs. It has also been shown that he can create ice blocks from his breath, as well as freeze objects and opponents. Again, the psionic portion of his powers are made evident by these depictions. The only way for objects to freeze is if their molecular composition slows down in motion at an incredible rate. The application of intense winds from Supeerman's breath is not sufficient to freeze things. Since Superman can agitate molecules to increase in motion, it is possible that he can do the reverse. He may even be using the same effect that amplifies converted solar energy in reverse. It's obvious that the actual energy content of the solar energy he's absorbed over 30+ years isn't enough for even one superfeat. He must be using it as a catalyst to access higher-order energies through an unknown physical mechanism. That same amplification mechanism could also be reversed to dampen or neutralize energies in the environment to produce freeze breath. Addtionally, his vast lung capacity is not physically possible given the dimensions of the humanoid physique. This implies that his super-breath also includes tesseract type properties."This IMO is totally ludicrous, it requires you accept "well, if he can ____ maybe he can do the exact opposite", it's illogical, it's like saying since you can swim forwards maybe you can swim backwards too, or worse, like since you can breathe through your mouth maybe you can breathe through your ears too, there's no basis for the statement: "Since Superman can agitate molecules to increase in motion, it is possible that he can do the reverse. He may even be using the same effect that amplifies converted solar energy in reverse."

Basically, it's saying since Superman couldn't lift a train, car, or building the way he does under normal laws of physics, he has some wacky 'tactile telekenesis' which he doesn't even know he's using; so he has similar subconcious telekenetic powers which can make him fly, give him a secret identity, and also let him freeze stuff.

Assuming he metabolizes oxygen at a rate similar to to natural human rates, and can hold his breath for 12 hours, this means he has taken in about 360 times the oxygen a normal human can take in.

It is possible that his natural biotelekinetic field can allow him supercompress air into his lungs while still allowing him to utilize it to metabolic processes. When expelled forcefully this air would immediately vaporize, or even sublimate depending on its compression, creating very, very strong winds, at subzero temperatures.This one is somewhat plausible, but then Superman's breath wouldn't blast cold and super speed, it'd just go poof in a big vapor cloud a few feet in front of him like a fire extinguisher.

Droid
10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I hated both as well, made no sense at all. And how come only in the last few years folks have been asking what the hell that cellophane S shield gimmick from Superman II was about.

Or how the Kryptonian villains could lift things with a ray from their finger in Superman II. Or when Superman rebuilt the Great Wall of China with a blue ray from his eyes in Superman IV. Or how the Kryptonians were all appearing and disappearing all over the Fortress of Solitude in Superman II.

And why did Ursa act hurt when the snake bit her in Superman II?

JetsAndHeels
10-11-2006, 02:31 PM
And why did Ursa act hurt when the snake bit her in Superman II?

The snake is a primitive earth creature, I imagine she was surprised to see something so "inferior" try to attack.

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Or how the Kryptonian villains could lift things with a ray from their finger in Superman II.I had forgotten about that. Maybe it's because they are using the Dark Side which gives them powers some might consider to be... unnatural.

Or when Superman rebuilt the Great Wall of China with a blue ray from his eyes in Superman IV.Come on now, you can't really expect anybody to take that movie seriously. That's certainly not its greatest flaw. :D

Or how the Kryptonians were all appearing and disappearing all over the Fortress of Solitude in Superman II.Um... superspeed? It was pretty lame, but that might be the answer.

And why did Ursa act hurt when the snake bit her in Superman II?She wanted attention. :p

Droid
10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Um... superspeed? It was pretty lame, but that might be the answer.

Ya, but it seems like they appeared to be in two places at once. I can live with not seeing them move from place to place because they are so fast, but are they so fast they appear to be in the same place at once?

It's funny, my strongest connection with Superman is through Superman I and II, but there are some really terrible parts of both of those movies.

JetsAndHeels
10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Ya, but it seems like they appeared to be in two places at once. I can live with not seeing them move from place to place because they are so fast, but are they so fast they appear to be in the same place at once?

They weren't very gracious guests in the FOS, were they?
I guess Non deserved the big cellophane "S" afterall!! :)

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Ya, but it seems like they appeared to be in two places at once. I can live with not seeing them move from place to place because they are so fast, but are they so fast they appear to be in the same place at once?They're faster than the speed of light? You know how these movies are, Kryptonians are so fast they can turn back time... and not like Cher, for reals!

Tycho
10-13-2006, 12:18 AM
So what happened tonight after approximately halfway through the episode?

I had an emergency pick-up call to get certain Star Wars items from a toy manager before he left for the evening. Unfortunately, that required I miss the end of Smallville.

So the sexy girl in the woods who seemed to be a forrest ranger fed people to vines that trapped people in some sort of plant?

Who was she? What did she want?

What happened to the guy they brought into the hospital?

What happened to Jimmy Olson?

Lex was cool being bad tonight asking Clark to get the heck off his property.

figrin bran
10-13-2006, 12:44 AM
they sell devices to record tv shows you know :p

Tycho
10-13-2006, 04:03 AM
they sell devices to record tv shows you know :p

1) my uncle had all my stuff packed up and put into storage while I was over a month in the hospital and touch-and-go with whether I was expected to survive.

2) I found and took out my VCR and DVD player.

3) This area is not serviced by a cable company but people have satelite-fed Direct-TV. I think TIVO is included with my service, but I'm not sure.

4) I don't think I connected correctly to use my VCR right with Direct TV, or I cannot program it with the universal remote I got to run my equipment (I still have not found the dedicated remotes that my machines came with - they must be in a different box in storage - and with the size of my Star Wars collection - there's a lot of stuff to go through)

5) I only watch 2 TV shows: The Shield and Smallville (Tue and Thu nights) so I don't really need to record much anyway - I can usually be home for those programs (I have viewing parties for The Shield anyway and because I get it through satellite, it comes on from 7-8 pm anyway and that doesn't interfere with my evening plans - plus FX repeats it from 8-9, also). And Smallville runs from 8-9, so I can usually be home. I still went out tonight - just got home (it's about 2am now) - but I had to leave during the show tonight to pick up a big stash of Endor2/Naboo figures that my local toy manager was holding for me. Incidents of getting figures in this manner doesn't happen too often. I can usually take care of this in the mornings, but...

JetsAndHeels
10-13-2006, 09:55 AM
The forest ranger was banned from her world (which I believe to be Krypton) and placed in the Phantom Zone. She was one of the criminals that escaped when Clark opened the portal to get out.
She was attempting to raid the event at the Luthor mansion and find some suitable mates...of course she tied up Clark when he tried to stop her.
The guy at the hospital turned into a human seed. Vines sprouted all out of his body and took over the entire hospital room. In that scene Chloe saw a particular part of the vine that had been fried by the electrical outlet...therefore she figured out how to stop the vines from taking over.
She catches up to clark in the woods where he has been wrapped up and even impaled by the vines. She uses her taser to free him, and also Jimmy is in one of these traps as well, so she helps him while Clark takes off to the mansion.
He confronts her in the greenhouse and she spreads somemore of her joy in order to kill Clark.
While tied up, he uses his heat vision to trigger the sprinklers and they set off the heat lamps that were sitting on the floor, therefore electrocuting her and killing her.
The episode basically ends with Lois and Oliver Queen, Chloe and Jimmy in the ambulance, and Lana and Lex in a very intimate moment.
Clark, however, is sitting all alone in the barn.

Tycho
10-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Aaawww. Poor Clark.

Thanks for the synopsis J&H. How were those vine special effects? Why does that sound like Poison Ivy, as well? (She's a DC character, so it's possible, though she's really Batman's enemy).

Oh, and what is the deal with Green Arrow? I'm not familiar with him and I don't know what his story is, what his powers are, or why he does what he does.

That actor was the guy originally tapped to play Aquaman for the series you know?
On Smallville, a different actor played Aquaman though.

And DC's main heroes are SUPERMAN, BATMAN (and Robin), and WONDERWOMAN, with Aquaman coming up sort of 2nd tier. The Flash fits in there somehow (and was on Smallville previously) So will Smallville actually go a superhero route? Does anyone want to see that? Haven't they tapped out "Kal-El's Creek?"

JetsAndHeels
10-13-2006, 10:27 AM
The vine effects were pretty good. Basically what you would expect from a wb, i mean cw show. :)

Next week we will get more of a look into the Green Arrow. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to his character, so I will leave that to someone else here who may know more.

There will be an episode later this season, entitled "Justice", that will bring the Flash and Aquaman back to work with Clark. I imagine by then Green Arrow will be in that group as well.

Tycho
10-13-2006, 10:33 AM
They need to bring in Christian Bale!

Here's the deal: Lex was always wealthy. Bruce Wayne inherited a fortune. Make the two of them know each other from private school days. They should be about the same age I guess.

I don't like the traditional WonderWoman costume that much for this realistic DC universe. If "Dianna" appears, she could be plain-clothed as well.

Bruce however, could go either-or, and this could take place before or after Batman Begins. He would be trained as a Ninja though.

JetsAndHeels
10-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Couple of points here...

Oliver Queen and Lex were acquaintances from their boarding school days. An upcoming episode will shed more light on that. "Reunion" is the title of that, and I believe it airs in 2 weeks.

As far as Wonder Woman goes, the Smallville producers cannot use her character. Joss Wheldon is overseeing the new movie that will be coming out so its sort of a no fly zone when it comes to her character. Al Gough said he wanted to include her, and possibly even do a series about her if he had the authority.

JediTricks
10-13-2006, 04:42 PM
This episode was a huge letdown to me, they apparently thought they could rip off Batman villain Poison Ivy by making her a Kryptonian and a plant-woman, it didn't work for me at all. The soap opera stuff totall sucked and dominated the episode. There were a lot of really off-the-mark actions taken by everybody. I just didn't like any of the outcome at all. That ending totally sucked, when she got zapped and poofed out, I literally yelped "that's it?!?", what a complete load!

She was attempting to raid the event at the Luthor mansion and find some suitable mates...of course she tied up Clark when he tried to stop her.I don't think that's right, the event was in Metropolis, she was at Luthor Mansion to raid the greenhouse where her seedpods were. That part didn't make any sense to me though, why she was at the greenhouse in the first place.

She catches up to clark in the woods where he has been wrapped up and even impaled by the vines. She uses her taser to free him, and also Jimmy is in one of these traps as well, so she helps him while Clark takes off to the mansion.That didn't make any sense, why didn't Clark try his heat vision or other powers when the vines first grabbed him? How did he survive being impaled through the chest? There's not enough power in the taser to zap 'em the way they were zapped in the hospital.

Thanks for the synopsis J&H. How were those vine special effects? Why does that sound like Poison Ivy, as well? (She's a DC character, so it's possible, though she's really Batman's enemy).The vines looked ok for most shots, but anything close-up and moving looked bad, like snakes. She was a ripoff of Ivy to the point where I bet the story originally had that character as the villain.

Oh, and what is the deal with Green Arrow? I'm not familiar with him and I don't know what his story is, what his powers are, or why he does what he does.Green Arrow has no superpowers, he's just a costumed crimefighter with great agility, strength, and above all, archery skills. He doesn't kill with his arrows, and often has trick arrows that have gimmicks on the tip (Batman with a bow, he has a boxing glove arrow, a net arrow, etc,). Green Arrow's secret identity is Oliver Queen, a rich socialite who eventually loses his money and becomes a gritty hero for the common person, essentially Robin Hood without the robbing. Green Arrow has long had a van dyck goatee, but started without one.

And DC's main heroes are SUPERMAN, BATMAN (and Robin), and WONDERWOMAN, with Aquaman coming up sort of 2nd tier. The Flash fits in there somehow (and was on Smallville previously) So will Smallville actually go a superhero route? Does anyone want to see that? Haven't they tapped out "Kal-El's Creek?"DC's had surges of popularity, Green Arrow and his sidekick Speedy have been more popular than Wonder Woman for some periods. Also, you left out Green Lantern, he was among the toppers. I believe there are plans to have some early version of the Justice League on this season, but it'll probably be modified and simplified since they can't use certain characters and have to be limited to the "reality" of this show. They need to actually show other cities and these guys fighting crimes though.

figrin bran
10-13-2006, 10:36 PM
for a brief moment, it looked like miss lang was going to come to her senses. there's no longer any hope for her.

JediTricks
10-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Maybe Clark will kiss her and revert her back to a non-lame character with his Super-Kiss power. :p

Tycho
10-14-2006, 04:54 AM
My group leader on MySpace's Smallville page posted a link to the complete episode. It did end rather abruptly with him stopping the Phantom Zone girl - I take it she might've not been Kryptonian, but something else. She was hot though. I wish Clark had more time to teach her to control her nature.

Lana have sex with Lex? (well they don't strip each other for any other reason, do they?) I don't know. She's hot and I'm very jealous of Michael Rosenbaum now. But she's as brainless as many girls I've met. At least that part is realistic moreso than plants from outer space.

But why did Green Arrow miss the can on purpose? I guess that was chivalry - but Lois is no angel and she doesn't deserve chivalry.

JediTricks
10-14-2006, 02:18 PM
He didn't miss the can, he shot the pop-tab off the top.

JetsAndHeels
10-14-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't think that's right, the event was in Metropolis, she was at Luthor Mansion to raid the greenhouse where her seedpods were. That part didn't make any sense to me though, why she was at the greenhouse in the first place.

Wherever it was...I'll have to go back and give it another look.

JediTricks
10-15-2006, 03:29 PM
My point wasn't so much that it took place somewhere else, but that she wasn't after the people at the party.

Tycho
10-15-2006, 07:00 PM
I learned a pretty big spoiler about a character from my MySpace group. I'll ask everyone's permission before I post it. It's not a character death, but it's big news. So yeah, do you want me to post a rumored spoiler? Does it matter to anyone?

pbarnard
10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
I learned a pretty big spoiler about a character from my MySpace group. I'll ask everyone's permission before I post it. It's not a character death, but it's big news. So yeah, do you want me to post a rumored spoiler? Does it matter to anyone?

You mean beyond how predictable the writing and plot usually is?

Tycho
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
You mean beyond how predictable the writing and plot usually is?

It won't be if this rumor is true. I won't post anything until Wednesday I guess - when anyone who wants to complain about a pretty big spoiler should have enough time to post their objection to it.

This plot point is not predictable, however, they might resolve it in a predictable fashion. But it will have big consequences for at least 3 characters.

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2006, 09:29 PM
I say post it Tycho. If the group here opposes to that then PM the details to me please.

JediTricks
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Post it with inviso-spoiler text, use this code only replace the { with [ obviously...

{color=F0EDED} INVISIBLE SPOILER TEXT HERE {/color}

And it will come out like so (highlight to view):
::: INVISIBLE SPOILER TEXT HERE :::

...didja see it?

Tycho
10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
OK, spoiler is being posted with the invisible spoiler textscript. In the post above, JT demonstrates how to do this. Since many of you might want to discuss this huge spoiler, I'd request that you use the same textscript.

JT meant that you use [ ..... ] around your HTML codes instead of the { } that he used - he just used those { } 's so that it would appear in normal text instead of also being invisible.

K - here comes the spoiler. I'll look forward to discussing this one: (highlight to read below)

LEX WILL GET LANA PREGNANT THIS SEASON!

Now my feelings are that she'll lose the baby, and an "Anakin - Obi-Wan situation" will play itself out, only with Lex blamin Clark or Kryptonians for the tragedy, Clark being jealous, and Lana being through with both of them. She won't die "ala Padme Amidala." But everything will return as they almost were in Season 1 with Clark and Lana being separated, only Lex and Clark will be mortal enemies.

JediTricks
10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Replied
::: Ugh, that is super ultra mega lame! If true, they're really working to go out on a whimper. Plus, this show already had a miscarriage once, that should have been enough baby nonsense, but you're right Tycho, that seems like the only way they'll pull out of that nosedive. :::

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I haven't seen anything about this where I read spoilers, but still it's a possibility. I really hope it isn't true, because I just don't think there is any reason to go that route on this show.

Tycho
10-16-2006, 08:23 PM
The next episode or so is about Green Arrow, as most of you saw the preview for this week's upcoming show.

The big spoiler events we're talking about happen either just before the holiday break for re-runs, or afterward. I'm not sure.

One other spoiler: (highlight to read)

The Justice League will make their first appearance this season as the actors who played The Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman will all return for a reunion TOGETHER in an upcoming episode. Now I know the show can probably NOT afford "Bat-effects," but is Christian Bale really so high-priced and busy to be Bruce for an episode?

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Dude, go back to post #69 in this discussion. That isnt a spoiler lol

pbarnard
10-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Actually spoiler 1 is one of the surest plot devices of TV shows on the way out/1 more season to go use. So PREDICTABLE!

Spoiler 2 isn't that much of a spoiler as there was some conventions where this was mentioned but never who.

figrin bran
10-17-2006, 01:23 AM
i've already read about spoiler 2 elsewhere.

spoiler 1 i hope does not come to fruition. at some point in the past i made jokes about Lana saying "stop it Lex, you're making me go down a path i can't follow...you're breaking my heart..." but they were meant to be just jokes ;)

Tycho
10-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Haha:

Lana: "You're going down a path I can't follow."

Lex: "Why? Because of Obi-Wan? [becomes Mike Rosenbaum*] Whoops. Uh, let me retake that scene."

*Mike Rosenbaum is a huge Star Wars fan and a collector - read it in the Star Wars Insider or Toy Fare, Lee's, or Action Figure Digest - one or two of those. In it he said that Darth Vader could defeat Lex Luthor easily - and he could use the Force to hurl Kryptonite at Superman. It was one of those "who would win in a fight?" questions.

Rosenbaum and Leonardo DiCapprio (who has sold most of his collection now) were two such celebrities that were just as crazy about this stuff as all of us here are.

Droid
10-17-2006, 08:03 PM
1. I am sorry they are back to Freaks of the Week, but I find it interesting that they are people Clark let out of the Phantom Zone rather than people "infected" by Kryptonite.

2. Cyborg could be in the Justice League episode too.

3. If they were going to have Batman I would rather they used a young actor, with the character in his formative years, than Christian Bale.

4. I have not read the spoilers.

Tycho
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Cyborg IS in the Justice League episode.

It is hard to say how old they would cast Bruce Wayne if he gets to ever make an appearance. Until Christian Bale dons the costume in the modern continuity (21st Century Batman that is), Wayne is not Batman.

Someone younger than Bale could play Wayne before he decides to fight crime in Gothan (or train under Rhas Ghul to be a Ninja), but that all depends on Wayne's age difference with Luthor and Kent.

I know that he's older then Clark. They went with Oliver Queen being Lex's old acquaintance from boarding school. That's the role I would have envisioned Wayne playing.

Is Green Arrow the substitute for Batman on Smallville because they can't use him? Or is Batman going to be a season 7 grand finale as Clark becomes Superman?

Since WB owns both properties, I don't believe there's a legal conflict of interest.

JediTricks
10-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Something dawned on me that I thought of during the season premiere but let go until just now...

The Fortress of Solitude's version of Jor-El is voiced by Terence Stamp who played General Zod in Superman 1 and 2, the Fortress' Jor-El has sent mixed messages about who Clark is - such as being there to conquer Earth - Smallville finally had Zod on the show but inside Lex's body, when he finally escapes, they show a CGI version of the Superman 1 & 2 character coming out of Lex's body, and right around this time the Fortress dies out. If they hadn't tied Zod to the way he looked in the Supes movies, I wouldn't have considered this likely, but once they did it opened the door all the way to the idea that the persona in the Fortress - being voiced by Stamp - was actually that of General Zod and not Jor-El, when Zod was vanquished that persona dies in the Fortress as well.

Tycho
10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
You could be onto something JT. Your idea is plausible.

pbarnard
10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Something dawned on me that I thought of during the season premiere but let go until just now...

The Fortress of Solitude's version of Jor-El is voiced by Terence Stamp who played General Zod in Superman 1 and 2, the Fortress' Jor-El has sent mixed messages about who Clark is - such as being there to conquer Earth - Smallville finally had Zod on the show but inside Lex's body, when he finally escapes, they show a CGI version of the Superman 1 & 2 character coming out of Lex's body, and right around this time the Fortress dies out. If they hadn't tied Zod to the way he looked in the Supes movies, I wouldn't have considered this likely, but once they did it opened the door all the way to the idea that the persona in the Fortress - being voiced by Stamp - was actually that of General Zod and not Jor-El, when Zod was vanquished that persona dies in the Fortress as well.

Actually I always believed the Cave Jor-El was really Zod and that the Fortress Jor-El was Jor-El. Explains why the Cave seasons were so sadistic.

Tycho
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
4 shows into the new season and we're already (just about) hitting 100 posts! This is going to be an eventful season and possibly the longest Smallville thread!

Tonight's episode was awesome! I actually liked Lana being involved in Luthor family intrigue. Who the heck knows what any of them are really up to now? (Well, Lex is pretty straight forward - he wants infinite knowledge and infinite power - what's new? Lana and Lionnel's angles on this could be the food for surprises in episodes to come.)

Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) was awesome. I really like the casting done there and the effects for his weapons and abilities. His dialogue with Clark at the end "the world needs us," was great!

Lois' line "You don't know the Green Arrow like I do!" was classic!

They did this episode right! I don't think Clark will return the neckless to Lionnel Luthor either.

Wow I enjoyed tonight. Now I really can't wait for "Justice" with Green Arrow, Aquaman, Cyborg, and farmboy.

figrin bran
10-20-2006, 12:23 AM
i loved the ending! "if you want in, you know where to find me" or something like that.

ironically in the JL animated series, they had to pull GA's teeth in order to get him to join and yet here he's the head recruiter.

also, it's funny how Clark handled GA so easily and yet had such a hard time with last week's meteor freak

JediTricks
10-20-2006, 08:12 PM
I didn't care for last night's episode, Green Arrow was merely a Robin Hood guy, not a vigilante superhero, and they went a bit heavy on the Batman ripoff with him (granted, GA was created initially as precisely that, but it's been a long time since it actually was that way) down to the secret lair and musical themes. How come Clark couldn't just x-ray through the guy's sunglasses to see his face? Why didn't Clark race to Lois' rescue like he does everybody else when he gets information like that? Chloe semi-stealing information from Lois' story, what was that? Clark usually suffers about folks knowing his secret identity but here he shrugs it off like it's nothing, that was non-writing at its finest. What the hell was Lana up to in those scenes??? That felt like they weren't even writing the same character anymore. Lionel's playing along seemed kinda out there.

I would say the only thing I really thought worked was Green Arrow's speech to Clark about saving his loved ones vs saving everybody else, would have been nice to actually see GA practicing what he was preaching though.

figrin bran
10-20-2006, 09:58 PM
well, we always comment on how perplexing lana is and so what's a little from way out in left field wrinkle?

seriously though, i would never ever imagine her capable of any sort of scheming like that.

Tycho
10-20-2006, 11:01 PM
seriously though, i would never ever imagine her capable of any sort of scheming like that.

Now she behaves how just about any girl I've liked (for physical attraction reasons) behaves, in my paranoid suspicions.

figrin bran
10-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Now she behaves how just about any girl I've liked (for physical attraction reasons) behaves, in my paranoid suspicions.

While I too have known girls like Lana, this is the Smallville Discussion Thread. Please stay on topic. :p

so they've got a stellar barrel bottom scraping lineup of guest stars coming up...Batista, Tori Spelling (as a Daily Planet columnist no less. and you thought Lois' reporting was fluff???)

Droid
10-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I thought Lana's threatening that guy and being Luthorish was so stupid. What are they doing to her character? I haven't felt a shift in a character that felt so forced and under explained since Anakin. :D

I think Stamp is really voicing Jor-El. I don't think Zod would have been so nice to Martha and Lois in the Fortress, told Martha to kill Zod using the knife, and sent her back to Kansas.

JetsAndHeels
10-21-2006, 11:19 AM
I thought Lana's threatening that guy and being Luthorish was so stupid. What are they doing to her character? I haven't felt a shift in a character that felt so forced and under explained since Anakin. :D

This is mostly why I do not care for her character anymore. She used to not bother me, but after a while I grew tired of the constant moping Clark did over her (and it still hasn't really stopped). Once again, the LL character is just a friend...a childhood and adolescent crush, nothing more.
Then in Reckoning my hate for her really came full circle because of the circumstances around her and Clark's choice to bring her back and then losing Jonathan Kent. If it were up to me, Pete and Pa Kent would still be on the show and Lana would be gone.

JediTricks
10-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I think Stamp is really voicing Jor-El. I don't think Zod would have been so nice to Martha and Lois in the Fortress, told Martha to kill Zod using the knife, and sent her back ton Kansas.Those are good points, but it could have been a way to manipulate Kal-El, or to get the knife into Zod's hands.

Once again, the LL character is just a friend... Lex Luthor? Lois Lane? :p

JetsAndHeels
10-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Lex Luthor? Lois Lane? :p

Lana Lang...Lex and Lois actually contribute to the story.

JediTricks
10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
I was just sayin' that you can't use the initials "LL" without confusion in Clark's life, plus there's Lois' little sister Lucy Lane, and Superman's cousin Linda "Supergirl" Lee and mermaid girlfriend Lori Lemaris, who have yet to appear in the series.

JetsAndHeels
10-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Here is the official description for this week's episode:

"As teenagers, Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) and Oliver (Justin Hartley) went to the same prep school, where Oliver and his friends bullied Lex and his friend Duncan (guest star Bryce Hodgson). Lex eventually turned on Duncan to gain their acceptance, prompting Duncan to throw himself off the roof. Lex and Oliver return to the school for a reunion and are startled when Oliver's old pals are killed in violent and mysterious accidents that point to Duncan. Meanwhile, Clark sees satellite photos that show four other craters were created the day he escaped from the Phantom Zone, causing him to believe that others may have followed him."

Tycho
10-24-2006, 10:26 PM
So Oliver wasn't always a good guy and this guy Duncan's come back from the dead to "Go Columbine." Cool.

figrin bran
10-25-2006, 12:37 AM
from the proverbial certain point of view, oliver queen still isn't a good guy.

if any of you don't watch it already, you really should check out Heroes.

figrin bran
10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
(edited from prior post.)

it looks like lana is settling into her role as lex's trophy

i loved ollie's "i care...that she's a nice girl with a bad guy like you" line

i was not rooting for justice for lex. frankly between this and Lost, i've had too much this week of people mauling someone else and the victim doesn't so much as punch back probably since they've been bloodied up so much already.

JetsAndHeels
10-26-2006, 10:12 PM
There was less Lana in this episode, which is ok by me.

Anyone else think it was cool how that giant sword impaled the dude at the beginning? Perhaps I am too much into that slasher/gore thing. :)

So this Duncan kid was being kept alive in a vegetable state by the kryptonite injections...and had the ability to attack people and do other things with his brain impulses. Pretty creative, but kind of weird.

I am actually more interested to see these PZ creatures....I know that WWE wrestler Bautista will be playing one of them...not sure of the rest.

Tycho
10-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Oliver Queen was a jerk in grammar school. Who was rooting for justice for Lex in this one?

I like how the show twisted your sentiments in that way.

Oh, and did Erica Durance look like she was getting a little fat in tonight's episode?

JediTricks
10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
This ep had me shaking my head, the amount of conveniences and the ripoff of the "Final Destination" movies was too much for me, and the way the meteor freak ended rivaled plant woman for lamest villain defeat ever. This one felt like it was on autopilot. Oh, and how soft are Lana & Lex's heads? I swear someone should make a drinking game out of any time someone is knocked unconcious just in time for the hero reveal on this show. The stuff between Lois & Clark felt like it came straight out of the TV show of the same name.

So this Duncan kid was being kept alive in a vegetable state by the kryptonite injections...and had the ability to attack people and do other things with his brain impulses. Pretty creative, but kind of weird.He wasn't being kept alive by kryptonite injections, he was being kept alive through conventional means and it was only the new kryptonite therapy which he had received 2 days prior which had given him powers.

Droid
10-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I forgot to rant about this from an episode or two ago: Martha Kent is running for U.S. Senate? I complained when Jonathon ran for State Senate. These people do not want a light shined on their lives. Won't someone ask how Clark runs the farm by himself? Won't someone look into the adoption? This is just so stupid.

And it is stupid that Lois is Martha's Chief of Staff and writing for a tabloid.

I thought the flashback stuff was pretty cool.

I was surpised at the gore in this one. I laughed out loud when the sword impaled the guy and when Duncan got hit by the car. I was just so surprised!

Neat how they mentioned Gotham again.

It's funny to me how with Chloe, Lionel, Martha, and Oliver knowing about Clark the main characters who know now outnumber the characters who don't (Lana, Lex, and Lois).

JetsAndHeels
10-27-2006, 04:11 PM
He wasn't being kept alive by kryptonite injections, he was being kept alive through conventional means and it was only the new kryptonite therapy which he had received 2 days prior which had given him powers.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Duncan kind of reminded me of that kid from Xmen 2 who was able to get into people's minds and make things happen.

figrin bran
10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
well it looks like we'll have no shortage of meteor freak episodes since we have so many PZ denizens on the loose.

Lana and Lex's HMO must love them!

JediTricks
11-04-2006, 06:16 PM
That totally sucked! The whole world is plunged into darkness and chaos, but these 2 kids in Oakland are just playing b-ball like it's any other day? I'm sick of "ally of the week" characters who are "here today-gone today". And how exactly did Raya die? A few weeks ago Clark is impaled through the chest by a vine for hours, yet as soon as he's pulled off of it he heals back up - Raya, who is equally superpowered and of the same Kryptonian physiology, gets shot through the chest for a few seconds and dies... not to mention, was that the best way they could go about shooting her? Seemed pretty random. Lana just keeps getting worse and worse. Bow Wow is a "meh" actor, nothing to get excited about, and I hate when aliens use street lingo. Oh man, and the way Clark defeated the villain... another lameass battle that ended cheaply.

Tycho
11-05-2006, 12:39 AM
They're going to be revamping the dialogue on the new re-releases of the Superman movies too.

Terrence Stamp: "Yo whaddup Dog? You be kneelin' 4 Zod now, ya hear blt@h?"

figrin bran
11-05-2006, 01:05 AM
yo tyko, tak dat 2 da cell phone planz threadd! ;)

what was also lame was how Clark talked about Raya at the end being the one person that made him feel not so alone. and yet we saw her in a grand total of 2 episodes. definitely not enough time for Clark's statements to have any validity whatsoever.

JediTricks
11-05-2006, 03:56 AM
Well, to be fair, that is the speech he gives 2/3rds of the state of Kansas. :p

Tycho
11-05-2006, 08:10 AM
what was also lame was how Clark talked about Raya at the end being the one person that made him feel not so alone. and yet we saw her in a grand total of 2 episodes. definitely not enough time for Clark's statements to have any validity whatsoever.

I know she wasn't from Krypton, but did Clark just forget about Alicia? What the hell? He was in love with her! (as were many fans)

A good scene would be to have him looking at a photograph of Alicia after Raya had passed. Newbies might not draw the connection, but hardcore fans would know. Raya was far too old for her to be a love-interest for him (she had to be at least 20 years older than Clark - though a discussion in the MySpace group suggests that time doesn't pass in the Phantom Zone, so she might have not aged at all in 20 years in there - not to mention Kryptonians age very slowly anyway). But Clark knew Alicia way better anyway.

JetsAndHeels
11-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I guess I am the only one who thought this episode was pretty good. It had its moments as all do, but overall I thought it was decent. I liked the scene towards the end where he discusses his destiny with Martha. It reminded me of the scene in the first Reeve film where Clark is telling her its time for him to go.

Tycho
11-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Don't take my "Alicia suggestion" to mean I didn't think the episode was great. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, but I did like it.

Droid
11-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I really thought Lana was once again absurd in this episode. The way they are just having her fit right into the Luthor behavior we usually see from Lex and Lionel is just stupid. It's like they started writing Lana from scratch this season, with no episodes coming before it. I don't remember her being manipulative or devious in past seasons.

So maybe this could be the last season. Clark destroys the last escapees of the Phantom Zone and then goes to do his training at the Fortress. In Superman: the Movie many years passed in between Clark going to the Fortress and moving to Metropolis. It could be Clark going to the Fortress is how the show will end.

Ya, it should be a part of the Smallville drinking game that you drink if Clark tells someone how alone he is despite all of the people he has met with powers and abilities. That and him bursting into the mansion to confront Lex about something. Somone gets knocked out so they don't see Clark use his powers. Lex or Lana go to the hospital. Lex's security guards get disabled or killed. DRINK!

JediTricks
11-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Do you know how drunk people would be by the end of 1 episode?!? :D

figrin bran
11-09-2006, 01:01 AM
heh, yeah i think most of us would like to watch an entire episode and not pass out in the middle of watching smallville. :p

figrin bran
11-10-2006, 12:54 AM
raise your hand if you said "no #@*)" when clark told ollie that "lois isn't lana" ;)

Tycho
11-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, tonight didn't surprise me because I knew the spoiler about Lana getting pregnant. I don't think Kristin is pregnant in real life, but I'm so jealous anyway. She's my girl, Lex! My girl!

The episode was overall very well done with Green Airhead taking super-steroids because he wished he could be like Clark, and his talks, even in anger, influencing Clark.

Lois looked hot in her little dress and then her teddy-time outfit. Someone didn't give her the memo: it's the Hall of Justice and not the Whhore of Justice. Ah well - it's great she's having fun. The show doesn't have to keep so PG rated. The characters are all adults now and I've behaved much worse even when I was still in high school.

Whatever though.

figrin bran
11-10-2006, 01:25 AM
we ALL knew that spoiler thanks to you

i'd like it if there were at least one episode without a visit to Smallville Medical Center. i work at a hospital and that's the last sort of environment i want to see on tv when i get home.

Tycho
11-10-2006, 08:44 AM
we ALL knew that spoiler thanks to you

I hope no one resents that. I think I used invisible text so you all had a choice whether you read it or not.

With Star Wars movies being over, it's sort of strange for me to get a feel on how seriously people take spoiler policies. Smallville and Transformers are about the only areas where I might ruin something for someone, so I try to use invisible text.

But in the 7th Episode of the Star Wars Live Action Series, Darth Vader discovers he got chewing gum stuck to his left boot and he gets so angry he starts cutting Imperial Officers' feet off with his lightsaber.

He thunders, "Several pieces of chewing gum were found on board this ship! I want to know what happened to their wrappers!"

JetsAndHeels
11-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Enough with this pregnancy crap...I wanna see more of the stuff we caught a glimpse of last week. The phantoms from the zone that got out, Clark embracing his destiny, etc. And quite frankly the tension between Martha and Lionel has gotten quite awkward if you ask me.

And to touch on what FB said about the Smallville Medical Center...does anyone else find it odd that even when a person is injured in Metropolis (like Lois last night for example) they are sent to Smallville? I thought Metropolis had all those "experts and specialtists" that Lex always had access to.

Tycho
11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
They didn't explain it on screen, but Oliver Queen was the only one who knew Lois was hurt (well - she did call 9-1-1 herself), but Oliver could have taken her to Smallville so her injuries wouldn't point suspicions in his direction, and so Lois would wake up close to friends. Who knows?

Anyway, I've worked in government and politics and find it odd that Martha Kent has time to cook, still lives on the farm (maybe), they haven't shown her hiring any help for the farm though she has a state government paycheck, and Lois is supposedly her Chief of Staff, but she has time to live in Smallville at the Talon and moonlight as a reporter. Plus, who's serving coffee at the Talon?

Is the whole cast going to stay out of college for the rest of the series because of Dark Thursday? That's lame and unrealistic as well.

JetsAndHeels
11-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I hate to think about it, but honestly this show has to be on its last leg. They will stretch out the whole pregnancy issue with Lana of course...and then they will go in depth with Clark fighting the phantoms, but then after that I don't see what much more there could be. I expect a season 7, but after that I doubt there will be much more to show.

pbarnard
11-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Anyway, I've worked in government and politics and find it odd that Martha Kent has time to cook, still lives on the farm (maybe), they haven't shown her hiring any help for the farm though she has a state government paycheck, and Lois is supposedly her Chief of Staff, but she has time to live in Smallville at the Talon and moonlight as a reporter. Plus, who's serving coffee at the Talon?

Is the whole cast going to stay out of college for the rest of the series because of Dark Thursday? That's lame and unrealistic as well.

Well she is only a state senator. And some states consider these people to be part time. Some one from Kansas will have to confirm that.

As to the college thing, I think it's lame how all shows that have high school centered casts to start contrive ways to keep them together into college and wonder why the show goes to crap. If you have a high school themed show, you got a 4 year window and than should focus on 1 character (Clark in this case) and follow him with a new casts.

I hate to think about it, but honestly this show has to be on its last leg. They will stretch out the whole pregnancy issue with Lana of course

Predictable. And want to be that the improbable falling down from a height causes her to miscarry (which I'm told is physiologically unlikely/unrealistic).

JediTricks
11-10-2006, 05:52 PM
SUUUUUUCKED! I couldn't stand watching that episode, so much soap opera bullcrap, so much undelivered promise, so wishy-washy, and Lana's issues get stupider by the minute - "I can't hear anything else about Lex", why not?!? Friggin' idiot writers. The only thing missing was meteor rock making the serum work so Clark gets a beatdown. Oh, and a tumor in Lana's brain straight out of "All My Children" - "I'm pregnant... and I have a brain tumor! cue music" And how cheap was it that it was the thug guy who killed Dr Black and they just throw us that mention at the end all casually??? The only good thing about this episode was Lois in that satin dress at the beginning.

JetsAndHeels
11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
SUUUUUUCKED! I couldn't stand watching that episode, so much soap opera bullcrap, so much undelivered promise, so wishy-washy, and Lana's issues get stupider by the minute

Yep, that's what I've been saying about her for going on 2 and a half seasons now. I wish they would just find a way to boot her annoying a s s off the show already. The drama she brings is so trivial..yet for some reason the writers of this show have decided it is more important to have her worn out routine burned into our brains each week. Here we have her character still bringing the show down, yet quality characters like Pete and Jonathan Kent are gone.
Enough with Lana, get her off the show immediately so what's left of this series can actually be focused on Clark's journey into becoming Superman. She gets in the way.
Why some of you like her character and enjoy seeing her on the show is beyond me.

Tycho
11-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Why some of you like her character and enjoy seeing her on the show is beyond me.

Umm. I'd get my post deleted from these all-ages forums if I explained why I really like seeing Kristin on the show.

Let's just say it makes me happy. :love:

JetsAndHeels
11-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Umm. I'd get my post deleted from these all-ages forums if I explained why I really like seeing Kristin on the show.

Let's just say it makes me happy. :love:

Okay...I see.

Yeah, she's attractive. So what? For the past season or so (at least) what has she added to the show?

figrin bran
11-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Tycho, i was only kidding about with that statement and probably should have inserted some sort of emoticon to indicate that! ;)

i don't think any of us would deny that Kristin is attractive but let's face it, Lana's just an unnecessary dark cloud always hovering over Clark. to me, and this could be extreme wishful thinking on my part, at the end when Lana pushed Clark away (figuratively) yet again, Clark cast a glance at her for a few seconds and to me that suggests that it was the final nail in the coffin and that he's closing the book on trying to having any sort of relationship with Lana, be it friendship or whatever.

come on Clark, close the book already!!!

JediTricks
11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Yep, that's what I've been saying about her for going on 2 and a half seasons now. I wish they would just find a way to boot her annoying a s s off the show already. The drama she brings is so trivial..yet for some reason the writers of this show have decided it is more important to have her worn out routine burned into our brains each week. Here we have her character still bringing the show down, yet quality characters like Pete and Jonathan Kent are gone.
Enough with Lana, get her off the show immediately so what's left of this series can actually be focused on Clark's journey into becoming Superman. She gets in the way.
Yeah, she really is a non-entity on this show, pretty girls are a dime a dozen on TV, there has to be more reason to keep her around than just that, otherwise she's just a ring girl holding up round cards.

It's funny, when I thought they might give her a brain tumor, it almost felt like a relief - "oh, so that's why Lana is acting so weird!" But the truth is that the Lana character has been pushed aside by the unintentional addition of Lois Lane (who was supposed to be in only a handful of eps but the audience liked her so they shoehorned her into the series), now Lana has no real role while Clark, Lois, and Chloe are building up a new version of the "Lois & Clark" tv series dynamic, so they make up new problems for Lana which essentially takes her into a separate realm, and then they hook her up with Lex to keep her tied to the show but all that does is distance Lex from the show.

Bottom line, they had only a handful of episodes left to find Lana's true purpose on the show this season and instead they went the opposite direction, there's no way Clark is ever going to feel about her the way he did in the comics now that she's pregnant with Lex's baby, and there's no way to believe that this is the woman who Clark turned back time for and let his father die over.

Tycho
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
there's no way Clark is ever going to feel about her the way he did in the comics now that she's pregnant with Lex's baby, and there's no way to believe that this is the woman who Clark turned back time for and let his father die over.

That's one reason it makes Clark's growing pains lessons all the more tragic.

Anyway, watch: Lana will have a miscarrige and then decide to leave Lex. He'll blame Clark. On top of that, Lionnel will get killed and Lex will also blame Clark. Everything coming together like that, plus Lex's non-love for Oliver Queen and Clark's friendship with him, will come together to make Lex Luthor vow to destroy Clark, know how to try and do this, and know Superman's true identity.

It makes perfect sense to me. Lana's a catalyst in between them, as Padme came between Anakin and Obi-Wan (and all other Jedi). Lex's jealousy plays the role of Palpatine in this one. It's the Dark Side either way you look at it anyway.

While I think this is predictable, it can be dramatised really well and thus be entertaining to watch unfold. But "I told you so."

JediTricks
11-13-2006, 03:14 PM
That's the thing though, Clark never gets over Lana in the comics nor does he have bad feelings with her, Lana Lang remains his close friend with underlying romantic interest into their adulthood (ignoring post-crisis Lana where Clark doesn't have feelings for her beyond friendship even though she feels romantically towards Clark).

Tycho
11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
OK, this was prompted by an invite for a friend request on MySpace from someone disillusioned with where Smallville has been headed. I'm actually not, and love the show still, but I had the opportunity to rip on it just the same. So here goes:

An Open Letter to Clark Kent:

Dear Clark,

I know you want to do something to improve your television show.

So please consider the following suggestions I so very humbly offer you at this time:

Walk into Lex's house and accuse him of something new every episode.

Have someone like Lana, Lois, or Lex faint and never witness your super-powers.

Have your mom take 10 minutes of every episode to tell you that you're special.

Have the women in your life that wanted you, hook up with characters that are just all wrong for them from Jimmy Olson, Lex Luthor, and Oliver Quinn on down to your Mom and Lionnel Luthor.

Have your dead (natural) father talk to you from an ice sculpture and assign you nearly impossible tasks that make your life even more miserable.

Have the perfect girl for you show up only to get killed 40 minutes later, leaving you more lonely than you were before.

Whine about all of the above to your Mom or Chloe.

Have Lois make fun of you to pile on.

Or have you ever thought about slipping on a ring full of Red-K and getting back at these people?

1) use super-speed to slip into Lex's mansion and use latex glue to affix a wig of green hair onto his bald head!

2) put Nair in Lana Lang's shampoo to see how cute she looks after her next shower!

3) Use heat vision to disassemble the glue holding together Lois' jogging shoes, and then stick around to watch what happens the next time she goes out for some exercise.

4) Use superspeed to add crazy glue to the backs of Oliver Queen's arrows just before he launches them. See who's the Super-Retard now!

5) Write an article for the Inquisitor alledging that Chloe Sullivan secretly married David Hasselhoff - photoshop the pictures.

All this is just for starters! Film it now and imagine your ratings around April 1st. Every other show has its own holiday specials. Why can't Smallville have a special for us fools still watching it?

JediTricks
11-15-2006, 02:59 PM
D'oh! They left out going to Smallville hospital to visit injurred friends only to have important conversations with third parties out in the hallways.

JetsAndHeels
11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
This episode sucked. I am so sick and tired of this Lex/Lana crap. It is ruining the show that I once loved. Its obvious that the CW (which also sucks) is more enamored with writing a soap opera than advancing the story of how young Clark Kent evolves into Superman. Correct me if I am wrong here people, but isnt that what the show and the story is supposed to be about?
Another thing that is ****ing me off is the lack of time Clark has been in the last few eps. Tonight he was nowhere to be found!! He is wondering around Seattle, looking for a WWE wrestler and then when he does find him Martian Manhunter has to bail him out. What is going on here?
Where was Martha? Where was Lois? Once again 2 of the major characters in the Superman story totally ignored by this show.
I am so frustrated with the direction this show has been headed in. I will argue with any of you Lana lovers to the end. Mark my words, she is ruining this show, and it will be off the air soon. It was cute for a while..the girl nextdoor who young Clark adored and wanted to be with. Now 5 seasons later she has been the main focal point of a once well writen show.
So in summary..CW sucks, Lana sucks, this soap opera "Im pregnant" bs sucks, no Clark Kent sucks, and bad writing sucks.
I have been a faithful fan of this show since it debuted. I have never missed an episode. Well guess what, I will still watch but when I bought season 5 that was the last of this show I spent my money on.

InsaneJediGirl
11-16-2006, 10:16 PM
I normally dont post here,but tonight, I thought Smallville was replaced by Gilmore Girls(before they sucked too). I'm really tired of the love story,it should be a background piece instead of the main focus.

Sadly,I doubt things will get better. The CW has taken all the good shows and turned them into pure crap.

JetsAndHeels
11-16-2006, 10:19 PM
The CW has taken all the good shows and turned them into pure crap.

The CW has been in existence less than 2 months and I hate it already.
Thanks alot CW....bunch of jerks.

figrin bran
11-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Veronica Mars is still alright as far as CW shows go.

but i agree that tonight's ep was an utter waste of time. the only thing i liked was seeing J'onn Jonnz/Martian Manhunter

JetsAndHeels
11-16-2006, 11:06 PM
the only thing i liked was seeing J'onn Jonnz/Martian Manhunter

Seeing him was cool, but Clark examining a crushed oreo=stupidest Smallville moment ever
(and yes, I know MM likes oreos in the comics)

Tycho
11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm not going to argue - everyone has their entitlement to their own tastes.

I like the Lex / Lana development and thought their part of the story was the most interesting. The Professor Plumb job they did with Jimmy Olsen was sort of far-fetched - that he'd be able to wheel his mobile radio lab from City on the Edge of Forever into Lex's mansion really defies logic - else Lex's security should have been there helping them - or at least standing guard. A security man was cast and seemed to have speaking lines if I recall. Anyway, Lex had a cool fight and they showed him kill.

The victim of a Luthorcorp lab that disappears is an old cliche however.

Meanwhile, the idea of a lost Martian civilization and the last member is a crime fighter is the most far-fetched if you ask me. If they expand on that it could be cool, but the show becomes Justice League and not Smallville at that point. So far, the other super heroes seem to have been handled much more realistically than the back story for this guy.

Anyway, there's another point of view out there. No one is right or wrong. I'm just sharing what I think.

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 02:23 PM
This episode sucked. I am so sick and tired of this Lex/Lana crap. It is ruining the show that I once loved. Its obvious that the CW (which also sucks) is more enamored with writing a soap opera than advancing the story of how young Clark Kent evolves into Superman. Correct me if I am wrong here people, but isnt that what the show and the story is supposed to be about?Well, this is 1 Superman-themed item you and I can definitely agree upon, last night's episode was such a waste of time! What kills me about it is that it's even ruining Lex, one of the strongest characters on the show before Lana's evil writing staff got their hooks into him.

Another thing that is ****ing me off is the lack of time Clark has been in the last few eps. Tonight he was nowhere to be found!! He is wondering around Seattle, looking for a WWE wrestler and then when he does find him Martian Manhunter has to bail him out. What is going on here?And Clark doesn't DO anything during all that, he doesn't save anybody, he doesn't learn anything, he doesn't stop the bad guy, he has 1 super-moment and it's jumping out of a crane he was just thrown into, total non-entity in this episode. And the Martian Manhunter?!? Talk about a WTF! Not that the core audience would even get who that is.

Where was Martha? Where was Lois? Once again 2 of the major characters in the Superman story totally ignored by this show.What would they have added to this crapfest anyway though?

I am so frustrated with the direction this show has been headed in. I will argue with any of you Lana lovers to the end. Mark my words, she is ruining this show, and it will be off the air soon. It was cute for a while..the girl nextdoor who young Clark adored and wanted to be with. Now 5 seasons later she has been the main focal point of a once well writen show.Well, the show will run till the end of the season, but I thought this was the season the producers wanted to end on anyway so I doubt the crappy Lana writing will doom the show. But it should not be there, no doubt at all, worst thing to happen to this show, way worse than "freak of the week" complaints.

The writers on this show are so blind with this Lana crap they can't even think straight - "you've been honest with me more than anyone"... uhhhhhhhhhh riiiiiiight, aren't you the same character who caught him lying about big stuff last week and said she couldn't hear anymore because she was pregnant? Almost every episode has been Lex lying to Lana about something, and she KNEW he was lying about the "code 142" crap just by looking in his face. Awful awful awful!!!

And Lex killing the meteor freak guy was way way out there, how the hell does that knife get turned around, and how does it get plunged into his ribcage from such a short distance and slow speed with someone fighting it? No way that's gonna happen, Lex could have balanced himself off the floor on the knife's handle and it still wouldn't have gone in that way. Plus, why is this mess the only fight scene when there's a famous wrestler facing off against Superboy?!?

but i agree that tonight's ep was an utter waste of time. the only thing i liked was seeing J'onn Jonnz/Martian ManhunterYeah, VM is still good, but the stupid CW won't commit to the whole season, they bought 13 eps and then renewed it for only 3 more. As for the Manhunter, talk about out-of-nowhere left-field nonsense, no setup, no payoff, no reason to be there, and we don't even really get to see him.

Seeing him was cool, but Clark examining a crushed oreo=stupidest Smallville moment ever
(and yes, I know MM likes oreos in the comics)They had to do it though, they weren't clear enough explaining it the first time around in Seattle, it was sloppy cinematic-storytelling and they needed to carry the story thread through to the audience a little more to try to button it up. It was a loser move on the director's part I think.

Bottom line, this episode was shameful from start to finish. Oh, and this ep proved that Kristin Kreuk is quite possibly the worst actor on the show, including extras - she's just awful here. I'd describe what Lana's done to the show, especially this Lex's baby nonsense, as "grotesque".

pbarnard
11-17-2006, 02:24 PM

but i agree that tonight's ep was an utter waste of time. the only thing i liked was seeing J'onn Jonnz/Martian Manhunter

So that's who that was? I thought it was the Erradicator from the Life and Death of Superman. Although that makes more sense if somehow at the end of this season something that resembles the Justice League will form/meet.

JetsAndHeels
11-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Well, this is 1 Superman-themed item you and I can definitely agree upon, last night's episode was such a waste of time!

Besides the thing about the Superman Returns figures, what have we disagreed about? I forgot.

Martha and Lois wouldn't have made the episode any better (its a lost cause at this point) but what I was saying is that once again 2 of the main characters of the Superman story are ignored. The Lana/Lex thing is priority #1 for the show's writers.

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Besides the thing about the Superman Returns figures, what have we disagreed about? I forgot.Superman Returns the movie. ;)

Martha and Lois wouldn't have made the episode any better (its a lost cause at this point) but what I was saying is that once again 2 of the main characters of the Superman story are ignored. The Lana/Lex thing is priority #1 for the show's writers.I see what you mean, but Martha and Lois are hardly main characters on the show, never were more than secondary characters. I could have gone the whole series not seeing Lois really, nor Perry, Jimmy, the Flash, Green Arrow, Lucy Lane, J'onn J'onzz, Zod, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Aquaman, Cyborg. Anyway, getting back to my point, it's not too surprising some cast members can't be in episodes where there's a lot going on - why Lana/Lex has to always overwhelm that ever since the 100th episode, I do not know.

figrin bran
11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Bottom line, this episode was shameful from start to finish. Oh, and this ep proved that Kristin Kreuk is quite possibly the worst actor on the show, including extras - she's just awful here. I'd describe what Lana's done to the show, especially this Lex's baby nonsense, as "grotesque".

Lana's bursting into tears scene makes Padme in ROTS look Shakespearean by comparison! :p

"i know i had doubts about our relationship but blah blah blah.."

Tycho
11-18-2006, 01:14 AM
"Some day I will become the most powerful bald guy ever!"

"You're going down a path I cannot follow."

"Because of Clark?"

"Because of your hair. How I could never cut off all of mine."

figrin bran
11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
"Ani-errr Lex, i'm pregnant..."

"that's...wonderful...our baby will be a blessing..."

"oh hold me Lex, just like you did at the lake in metropolis..."

Droid
11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't read comics much, but I didn't get that it was the Manhunter either. I thought it was the Eradicator from the Reign of the Superman line of comics (I did read the Death and Return of Superman).

Does Martian Manhunter kill like that in the comics?

Is Clark going to explain to the Manhunter, who is also the last survivor of a lost civilization, how he just can't understand how alone Clark is?

Tycho
11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Is Clark going to explain to the Manhunter, who is also the last survivor of a lost civilization, how he just can't understand how alone Clark is?

No, Martian Manhunter is going to be the next male on the show to fall in love with Lana Lang. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
11-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Heh heh, those were pretty good.

I believe MM has phased his hand into enemies to kill them before, but I am not sure as I really don't pay much attention to the guy.

Tycho
11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Smallville's going to get preachy when we get back from the break on Dec. 7th.

From the Official CW's description: Clark is shocked to discover his neighbor Jed McNally is holding migrant laborers captive and forcing them to work on his farm. Feeling guilty since he sees himself as the ultimate illegal immigrant, Clark seeks help from Martha to allow a young boy and his mother to stay in the country.

Now as everyone knows, I love political problems and solving their quagmires. It's my area to try and use my brain to play super hero in the absense of my having super-speed, x-ray vision, super strength, invulnerability, etc.

I think this sounds like a really good episode. I can't wait!

JediTricks
11-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Ugh! I wish you were kidding, but I just checked the listings and saw this: "An illegal immigrant comes to Clark for help, escaping from a nearby farm where he's working... a farm that houses a dark secret."

WHYYY???????!!!!!!???????

Tycho
11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
WHYYY???????!!!!!!???????

Because illegal immigration is a very current event right now, and current events and politics are fascinating.

We've long hailed Star Trek as having superior writing on the show, and you'd begrudge Smallville the chance to do a story that's similar? (using science fiction to mirror reality).

I think you might be re-evaluating that position. Maybe. We do have to see how they handle the episode.

JediTricks
11-28-2006, 04:16 PM
The reason Trek has been able to get away with it (although ever since Voyager, they've completely dropped the ball here) is because Trek takes place in a distant future where they can use parallels and metaphors to explain concepts. Also, it helped that the writers of Trek were idealists. The writers of Smallville are anything but, and they're not really at that level of writing in general that they can say something on it, so instead they take a popular position and they wrap their soap opera stories around it, putting it sub-par to an After School Special. Worse, these episodes striving to be "important" also end up lessening their place in the series' storytelling as well, so they come up short on both counts.

Tycho
11-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Once Manny Coto was helming the last season of Enterprise, Trek was getting back on track - either too late for that show, or in spite of UPN's desire to change its programming to sitcoms. (That worked for them, huh?)

Voyager actually was a Tom / B'Ellana soap in quite a few episodes which played a little more warmly than Clark / Lana or Lex / Lana.

Also, it helped that the writers of Trek were idealists.

Sometimes. They proved the resurrected Kah'less was a clone, a fraud, but even Worf went along with the cover-up to install the "Klingon's new pope."

There were a few episodes that took on Conservative slants actually, whereas Trek is more often viewed as a Liberal show. But you'd get different opinions on that depending upon who you were talking to. I know there are fans still waiting for Sisko to find Jesus in the wormhole or something.

As to Smallville, given Clark's status, there is no doubt the show HAS to come out in favor of amnesty towards illegal alliens. Plus they are not going to show Ka-El as the Super-Deporter, but make a touchy-feely show featuring illegals that everyone can like, unless a Phantom-Zone criminal shows up without a VISA. I guess that would re-define Clark's border patrol jurisdiction, but nevermind he looks the other way towards Raya or Martian Manhunter.

The bottom line is that this works on a case-by-case basis - just like legitimate appeals for immigration do.

I think it's an interesting subject for Smallville to explore. It's a uniquely situated show to handle that subject.

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Here's an idea...

Lets scrap the alien immigration, Lana/Lex relationship, and all the drama bs.
Next, lets go back about 3 or 4 eps to where Clark embraced his destiny and with the help of his father's crystal brought the FOS back to life.
Now let's pick up from there, with Clark pursuing the remaining phantoms....once this is done he can then move closer to his eventual status as Superman.

*This is just the direction of how I would like to see the show go. I think everyone here knows my feelings about the current drama that is going on, so I will not repeat it again. I just feel that the show has lost its focus, which should be Clark and his journey.

Tycho
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
What if:

Lana loses the baby because of some Phantom-Zone / Krypton thing?

Lana dumps Lex and Luthor Jr. loses his last chance for someone who would've influenced him to do good in this world?

Lex finally turns into Clark's mortal enemy. Before, Lex just started to despise him and banned him from his property (not that this does any good for Lex). Now Lex will actively want to kill Clark - who when he resurfaces as Superman, will have the mortal arch-enemy he was always supposed to have?

I think this is an obvious direction for the show to take.

What do you think?

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2006, 07:41 PM
What if:

Lana loses the baby because of some Phantom-Zone / Krypton thing?

Lana dumps Lex and Luthor Jr. loses his last chance for someone who would've influenced him to do good in this world?

Lex finally turns into Clark's mortal enemy. Before, Lex just started to despise him and banned him from his property (not that this does any good for Lex). Now Lex will actively want to kill Clark - who when he resurfaces as Superman, will have the moral arch-enemy he was always supposed to have?

I think this is an obvious direction for the show to take.

What do you think?

I can tell you that I believe this would be better than what is going on currently. I am not sure how the writers are going to resolve the issue with Lana's unborn child but I have a feeling it's not going to end well. This could be the last straw that sends Lex over the deep end for good.

Tycho
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I think that what's going on currently is that Smallville will take the entire 6th Season to conclude the plotline I just described in a few sentences above.

Remember the stones and the drawn-out thing with "Isabel," Jason and Genovieve Teague?

In the end that was to establish the Fortress of Solitude which we all think is awesome now.

At least this drama involves the major characters of the Superman legend: Lex and Lana Lang.

I'm not the die-hard comic expert, but I'd guess the Teague's were not part of the Superman mythos, but something Smallville's writers added.

Lex and Lana have always been part of the legend.

Oh - and there's the chance that Lana will actually have the baby, but it will be killed later in the Phantom incident that Lex blames on Clark. It will trigger his "Julian-brand psychosis" that we were introduced to before. Remember?

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm not the die-hard comic expert, but I'd guess the Teague's were not part of the Superman mythos, but something Smallville's writers added.

Lex and Lana have always been part of the legend.

No, the Teagues were never in any comics..just like Chloe Sullivan's character wasn't.

Yes, Lex & Lana are part of the story, but the way that the show has portrayed them (more Lana than anything) is skewed.
First of all Lana Lang is more of a first-time love or crush for Clark. As they get older they stay in touch as good friends but she marries Pete Ross. None of the elements in the show have ever portrayed Lana as she is in the comics.

And that is where my whole problem with her lies. I do not have a problem with Kristin, its the character and how they have made her a central part of the show, even more than Clark himself. The last episode is a great example of that. I went back and re-watched it, timing Clark's parts and adding them together. There were just a little more than 9 minutes of Clark time in that episode. How ridiculous is that? This show is about HIM...about HIS journey. 9-10 minutes of air time for an episode just won't get it done.

Tycho
11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree with you there. I think that Kristin became so much of a fanboy attraction, that her popularity was more than the producers originally expected perhaps? That is not the case now. But it was seeing Kristin for my first time that caught my eye and got me to watch the show in the first place. I wasn't even really a Superman fan before Smallville (maybe at one point when I was a child - but Star Wars always ruled for me).

So I became a "Kristin fanboy" and started tuning in, waiting for John Ashcroft to die and television standards take a dive into European-style softcore on American airwaves that would bring me the Lana episodes I always wanted!

The Luthor's father-son mechanism intrigued me as The Sopranos' fans are probably hooked on their own version of "a crime family." Finally, as a Dukes' fan when I was a kid, I was thrilled to see what John Schneider brought to this series as Clark's dad, and he reminded me of a father figure in my own life.

Anyway, that was the evolution of it all for me.

Tycho
12-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Well, no comments about the single-solitary-new-episode-in-a-field-of-re-runs for Smallville?

I heard that George Bush watched it and has determined that the best way to stop illegal immigration from Krypton is to build a fence around the earth! Karl Rove has explained to him that most of the Phantom Zone escapees always get caught comitting crimes while they're on this planet.

"Extra-terrestrials hate our freedom!" the President was quoted as saying.

In any case, if Congress votes to fund the fence, construction will begin with the first space shuttle flights in 2007. In approximately 2107, legislators expect completion of the fence surrounding the earth. Scientists have suggested using chainlink material so as to not block the sun or trap in more greenhouse gasses. Barbed wire was discouraged, as it wouldn't really be effective against silicon-based life forms.

JediTricks
12-08-2006, 08:43 PM
This episode sucked, lamest meteor freak yet, and that kid was pretty white, and then "oh boy, more Lana & Lex stuff" thrown in for vomit's sake. The less said about this turkey the better.

figrin bran
12-09-2006, 12:47 AM
i did a bunch of errands around the house while feigning to pay attention to the episode ;)

the upcoming episode preview looks promising, though.

JetsAndHeels
12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
This episode sucked.

The preview following it looked nice...I particularly liked the scene of the Justice League at the end.

Droid
12-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Terrible, terrible episode. JediTricks, Javier struck me as kind of Italian.

Were they saving money during the ending fight? A bunch of rumbling from off screen, Clark shoots out of the ground and that's it? The original Wampa sequence in The Empire Strikes Back showed more action.

Did anyone buy Martha's initial reaction to Javier? It seemed like they wrote it that way just so she could make a 180 at the end of the episode.

I do think Tycho is right that Superman would probably be pretty much on the immigrant side in illegal immigration.

And what is with Lana? The power, ah, the power. I must have it. Insert insane laughter here. I am totally not buying this character "development".

JediTricks
12-10-2006, 08:45 PM
The actor's name is Tyler Posey, according to IMDB his heritage is Irish, English, Mexican and French.

Were they saving money during the ending fight? A bunch of rumbling from off screen, Clark shoots out of the ground and that's it? The original Wampa sequence in The Empire Strikes Back showed more action.Unfortunately, that's been a running theme this season, fights that don't happen at all, very frustrating, lots of buildup and then no on-screen payoff, just quick nuthin'.

Did anyone buy Martha's initial reaction to Javier? It seemed like they wrote it that way just so she could make a 180 at the end of the episode.Martha's reaction did seem out of character, only because they've written her as SUCH a pureheart character. I found her reaction somewhat believable as a farmer from Kansas though, but yeah, it was too much for this character.

I do think Tycho is right that Superman would probably be pretty much on the immigrant side in illegal immigration.Well, the conflict would be whether to side with the people or with the law, and I think on this one he'd be torn and eventually side with the "legal" aspect, because of all the other immigrants waiting their turn to come into the country.

Tycho
12-10-2006, 10:46 PM
But Clark didn't wait to come into our country: his father crash-landed him here. That is a lot like a lot of Mexican mothers who desperately try to have their babies here so they are born US citizens, though I think Congress is (or did) close that loophole. (?)

As to the fights, Smallville was never a huge combat / action show - never. We all want it to be - similar to the way the tables turn in some protracted Batman combat scene. But Clark is Superman and folks cannot really harm him and he can "just throw someone" and knock them out or break their neck if it so happens that way (though they make a huge effort to not show Clark killing anyone).

Clark has no need for a Bat Plane with automatic weapons or armor piercing arrows, etc. For that reason, he's actually a less charismatic super hero as he is in a lot less danger from humans that don't know about Kryptonite.

This is different from Luke Skywalker who uses weapons, has killed people in personal combat, and flies war machines in mass-death assaults.

You'll never see Superman require a fighter jet, tank, or plan an infantry assault. So Smallville doesn't portray Clark that way.

I'm not sure how far the Justice League will go in so far as those kinds of missions, but Green Arrow (as a Batman knockoff) is the most interesting in that regard (CyBorg being a possibility too). I'm not as familiar with these characters in the comics or cartoons - I was a Batman fan. But aside from Phantom Zoners and maybe 33.1's will develop that way (maybe), there isn't much of a challenge to get Superman into an action sequence save for Zod or Lex Luthor discovering Kryptonite.

Droid
12-11-2006, 09:09 AM
I really don't think Superman would take a side in the immigration debate. I think he would avoid disobeying the law, but would also avoid doing border patrols. I think he would look the other way. Kind of sounds like the official foreign policy in the matter right now. What Clark did in the recent episode felt true to the character for me.

I think as he has grown as a character Superman now transcends nation. I think he would just claim humans should make a better world for all and try to end poverty as that is the reason people sneak across borders.

Tycho, if Zod discovers Kryptonite he'll dislike it as much as Clark.

JediTricks
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
But Clark didn't wait to come into our country: his father crash-landed him here. That is a lot like a lot of Mexican mothers who desperately try to have their babies here so they are born US citizens, though I think Congress is (or did) close that loophole. (?)No, that is still the law, if you're born here you're a citizen, but that doesn't give any special treatment to the parents.

Anyway, although Smallville suggests Clark's ship was destined for the Kent family even before it took off, regular Superman lore is not so specific, Kal-el could have landed anywhere on the planet really. Anyway, Clark's situation is different, there's no intergalactic immigration laws.

As to the fights, Smallville was never a huge combat / action show - never. We all want it to be - similar to the way the tables turn in some protracted Batman combat scene. But Clark is Superman and folks cannot really harm him and he can "just throw someone" and knock them out or break their neck if it so happens that way (though they make a huge effort to not show Clark killing anyone). There used to be action, usually meteor freaks would do something wild and Clark would stop them and whatever. Now it's just the villain makes the big move and 5 seconds later Clark has beaten them while barely lifting a finger.

Clark has no need for a Bat Plane with automatic weapons or armor piercing arrows, etc. For that reason, he's actually a less charismatic super hero as he is in a lot less danger from humans that don't know about Kryptonite.Batman does not generally have automatic weapons except in the pre-Begins movies and a few rare instances in the cartoons.

Superman's biggest weakness has often been trying to do too much at once, save too many people, so their suffering is his weakness.

I think as he has grown as a character Superman now transcends nation. I think he would just claim humans should make a better world for all and try to end poverty as that is the reason people sneak across borders.Ah, but here's the catch, illegal immigrants generally do not find a better life here, and like the episode showed, they're exploited and live worse lives, so he might see the laws as just both for legal immigration and for protecting illegal immigrants.

Droid
12-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I am pretty sure that the immigration laws would apply to extra-terrestrials; they just have never been applied that way because as far as we know there has never been an extra-terrestrial in America.

I don't think an extra-terrestrial could murder or steal and argue the law didn't apply to him or her because the law only applies to humans.

I don't see Superman as a cop or a member of the executive branch. It is not his duty to uphold or enforce all laws. I could see Superman deciding not to break the law (though he has never been too concerned with eavesdropping or breaking and entering laws or air traffic control laws for that matter), but I don't see him feeling the need to enforce a law he didn't agree with to further a policy he couldn't stand behind.

JetsAndHeels
01-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Smallville is back on ABC Family now, airing repeats at 7pm est for those who are interested.

And don't forget the next new ep is a week from tomorrow on CW.

Tycho
01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I've been watching my entire DVD collection during the hiatus. I'm about in the middle of season 2. I just kind of choked up and cried in my eyes when Kayla died. That was a great episode.

JetsAndHeels
01-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I just kind of choked up and cried in my eyes when Kayla died. That was a great episode.

Hopefully the writers come up with an episode like this for Lana.

figrin bran
01-04-2007, 10:09 PM
happy belated birthday Kristin

(December 30th was Kristin Kreuk's 24th birthday. )

(just thought i'd throw that out there in light of all the beating that her character takes on this thread)

Tycho
01-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Well I don't beat on Kristin or Lana. But I'd sure love to be able to give Kristin a birthday present! :love:

JetsAndHeels
01-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I will remind everyone here again.....

I do NOT have a problem with Kristin herself. She seems to be a good actress.

The LANA character is the one that bothers me.

Ok, having said that....

Happy belated to you Kristin.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Alright, i've been playing catchup since November and here I am, 5 and a 1/2 seasons later, ready for a new episode! Random thoughts about the episodes up till now:

A. I've really enjoyed everything up until the last few episodes. As Jets posted earlier, we're not getting enough Clark time and when we do, he's helping immigrants, especially ones with no sort of accent? I think with the kick off of the JLA we are going to see Clark finally stepping into his role as the eventual Superman.

B. Lana needs a muzzle and a kick in the shins. You love Lex, we get it, end of discussion. Her wench persona and attitude towards Clark is getting pretty assinine and repetitive. I do hope she suffers some serious trauma....well, just because she's becoming a wench. Which leads me to....

C. Clark needs to grow a pair and stand up for himself from time to time. He's constantly taking lip from Lana AND Lois. From time to time, he needs to kinda remind them, "hey, remember when i saved you..like eight times? knock it off!" I've always been a fan of Chloe since the first season and her loyalty and non wench attitude to Clark just reinforces my love of her. And seriously, how delusional and blind can Lana really be?!??! I get a feeling that when Lana falls out of love with Lex, man, she's going to fall hard.

D. Jonathan Kents funeral: yeah, really really hard to watch.

E. This is a geek thing, but c'mon Jimmy olsen: where is your bow tie? Although, I did laugh my arse off at his macho chat with Clark with the hoops and "ring that bell." It looked like Allison Mack could barely stop herself from laughing hysterically.

F. I get a gut feeling that with the show only has a seventh season left and then it's probably done. This season will (at least, I hope) revolve around Clark and his training and DESTINY. Next season should show Clark in his early stages of Metropolis life and then end the show with Lois and Clark at the planet, Lana out of the picture and in good mode versus super beyatch mode, and hey, maybe Chloe in the area too.

G. Clark needs a love interest. Plain and simple.

H. I don't know if I trust Lionel just yet. He seems legit, but I don't know.

and that's it. I'll have to torrent/watch tonights episode online as my thursday's belong to NBC. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Tycho
01-11-2007, 01:57 PM
H. I don't know if I trust Lionel just yet. He seems legit, but I don't know.

Lionnel is now more confusing than the girls on this show - and that's saying something. I don't trust him at all.

JetsAndHeels
01-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Tonight's episode is gonna be doo doo. Just a prediction, since next week is the big Justice one.
I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling it's gonna be bad.

Tycho
01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I thought tonight is the one SPOILER ALERT (not a big deal though) .......

SPOILER

where Clark dresses up as Green Arrow to keep Oliver's identity secret from Lois and she kisses Green Arrow thinking it is Oliver instead of Clark?

JetsAndHeels
01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Ugh, someone wake me up for next week. That is the only ep I am really looking forward to seeing.

figrin bran
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
tonight's episode can't possibly be thatbad...though i too have been waiting for Justice/"save the speedster, save the world" for weeks.

figrin bran
01-11-2007, 10:48 PM
so it wasn't the greatest ep but Chloe's fight with Linda Lake was better than Clark vs. the phantom zone freak played by Batista. then again, almost anything is.

so how many people has Lana hit with her car?

Tycho
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM
There's a cow on the Kent farm that Lana has yet to crash into...

Anyway:

Yes, she said "yes" to Lex's marriage proposal. That was predictable. She'll come between Clark and Lex and be part of the reason they become such bitter enemies.

No, Lana won't die. For those that aren't familiar with Superman...

But the baby will. Lana eventually becomes a single-mom, but Lex is not the father of her surviving child. It's some other guy who hasn't been on Smallville yet.

Tonight's episode was great. Chloe saved herself and didn't need Clark to come to her rescue, but all the cast got some action (save for the parents) and Clark did fight (as Green Arrow's imposter) and Jimmy was cool, as was Lois - it all came together well. No it wasn't the best episode ever, but it was definitely good.

JetsAndHeels
01-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Lana eventually becomes a single-mom, but Lex is not the father of her surviving child. It's some other guy who hasn't been on Smallville yet.

Yep, so that means there will be an episode called "Maury", where Lex and Lana and Clark all go on the Maury Povich show. They do the whole paternity test thing and come to find out that neither Lex nor Clark are the father...what do you know!! The drama is neverending!!

Tycho
01-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I think that Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnel with Barbara Walters should also be in that episode!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I really enjoyed tonights episode! It was great how it took all the random Lex and Lana drama and brought back home to Clark; it made the last two episodes forgiveable for setting everything up. I got a kick out of Jimmy kinda beating some a-- in the alley (the grabbing of his hand in pain was great) and Chloe has some moments where she just cracks me up. Exhibit A: her nuances and comments to Clark during Lois's spiel about the kiss were GREAT. Very well done.

And i enjoyed the drama between Lana/lex/Clark tonight. Clark bringing Lex down a level with the comment about how it must be irking Lex that she won't answer and then Lex retorting with how she's bearing his hideous bald spawn. Snap! Hopefully, we'll get Clark doing an x-ray shot on Lana so we can see that demon child in her belly. hehehehhehe that'd be great, but I don't see the CW letting that one go down. :thumbsup:

Although, the reporter story was slightly unresolved as she just went down the sewer. Is she done now that somebody knows her secret?

Chloe kicking some arse was GREAT and I loved her finally telling Clark to back of with the secret business. He sometimes does take her for granted.

excellent one tonight. JLA next week kids! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-14-2007, 04:32 AM
I thought this was a really good episode until the last 10 minutes when the Lex and Lana stuff came back real bad like a hemorrhoid flaring up and kicked this ep hard down to "ok" territory. There was a lot of fun to it, it felt like a comic episode, and I loved Chloe busting on Clark for being the Green Arrow - though she doesn't yet know Ollie is GA so that should have tipped her off.

Tycho
01-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Think Carrie Fisher will be back on Smallville? Isn't Pauline Khan the Editor-in-Chief still until Perry White re-establishes his career and rises up?

Tycho
01-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Gold Kryptonite makes an appearance in Smallville!

While doing farm chores, Clark accidentally unearths gold Kryptonite.

The new meteor rock has a strange effect on him and Clark is suddenly drawn towards acquiring "bling."

He starts by stealing his mom's jewelry, but then his infection gets progressively worse as he rips off Lois, Lana, and Chloe of their ornaments. The gold-K that allows Clark to get piercings and the nose, lip, eyebrow, chin, earings, and especially the belly-button rings give Clark away as the Super-Thief. He even wears a large "$" piece of bling like the infamous "S."

So the ladies and Martha Kent all band together to try and stop Clark, but he proves to fast to catch.

When Clark rips off Lionnel Luthor though, the former business tycoon uses his knowledge and powers as the embodiment of Jor-El to stop Clark and return everyone's jewelry (though he struggles with his own inner-criminal which wants to fence the stuff in Suicide Slums).

In the end, everything is restored back to normal and Martha won't even let Clark wear one earring. However, in a cliffhanging ending, she is perplexed as it appears that one of her evening dresses and a pair of high heels are missing from her closet.

The show ends with a fade-out shot of Clark smiling.

figrin bran
01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Don't forget - the episode we've all been waiting for, "Justice", airs tonight

Tycho
01-18-2007, 12:01 PM
MySpace Smallville's group had a promotional link to the first 12 minutes of it and it is awesome. I so cannot wait until I can watch the full hour tonight!

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
This is the episode that will either make or break season 6 for me. It looks great, and hearing your praise for it Tycho that makes me excited..lets hope its a good one.

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Ok, "Justice" totally rocked!! I will now go on official record and say season 6 looks like it has been saved...of course alot of that depends on how they take things from here.

I will hold any further discussion until our west coast friends here have seen it.

Tycho
01-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Ok, "Justice" totally rocked!! I will now go on official record and say season 6 looks like it has been saved...of course alot of that depends on how they take things from here.

I will hold any further discussion until our west coast friends here have seen it.

Thank you! I have 10 minutes to go before it starts - I can't wait! I'm really glad to hear the whole thing is that good!

I dared to come into this thread before I viewed it because I can't stand waiting any longer. OK - 9 more minutes - One passed while I was typing this post!

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Tycho, I i will be waiting for you here once its over.
We gotta discuss it.

Tycho
01-18-2007, 09:57 PM
3 minutes until FLASH! ;)

Believe me J&H, this is my first stop after the show!

K - I'll be gone for an hour.

Tycho
01-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Geeze!!!! Right now I think that was the best episode of Smallville ever!

It was such a masterpiece!

I was amazed at how well they involved almost all the cast in it (No Lana it seemed, Martha Kent just barely). Chloe was awesome actually. That was so cool to involve her the way it went down.

Lois played Lois.

The show really was a great curtain call for Oliver. He dominated the episode, even over Clark. That arrow shot that skinned Lex Luthor was too cool.

I wished Aquaman had more to do. He was the least utilized.

Bart was great. I loved the comments about how they got their nicknames. (huh-huh - BoyScout. I was waiting for Clark to tell Chloe over the comm "don't call me Boy Scout" and her to go, "OK, Superman." That should have been in there.

Cyborg was good. You could see Clark's friendship with Victor was still there, as was his big brother role to Bart.

A.C. and Oliver never really got into any Lois discussion and she never saw A.C. in the episode, but Clark made the snide comment.

It was such a great shot when you saw the Justice League walking out of LuthorCorp as it blew up into a thousand pieces. The way they've engineered the plot towards Section 33.1 over the seasons has been ingeniously building up towards this. As is whatever Lionnel's "deal" is (Jor-El or what?)

Fortunately, MySpace's Smallville group posts the episodes because I'm going to want to watch this at least a few more times!

figrin bran
01-18-2007, 11:19 PM
it rocked!!!! :thumbsup:

i can't remember the last time Smallville was this good! coincidentally, nary an appearance from miss lang.

i loved Chloe in the Watchtower playing the Mr. Terrific (or miss terrific i should say)/J'onn Jonzz role.

they've set things up pretty well...clark agrees to join up with them once he takes care of the phantom zone mess. hopefully they don't drop the ball on this and we get more JL episodes next season.

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2007, 11:23 PM
See what happens when the story stays on the character and doesnt focus on the Lana and my babymama drama?
You end up with a good show. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Pretty fantastic episode!! I was happy to see Cyborg, Impulse and Aquaman back using their abilities. Although, AC has always been a weird spot with me cos ya know, he can swim fast and is strong........neat. Just seemed useless at times and i'm happy he was used here. Very fast paced and a lot of good action. However, I SLIGHTLY wish they would've shown more of Clark slapping around some guards, just for good measure, maybe some slow mo action of him punching them or something, just for kicks! But still, this was an awesome episode.

I also really enjoyed the lack of Lana for once. Hey, nothing against her, but c'mon, we needed more action!! It was also great to see Chloe in on the action.

Great episode! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm still playing catch-up on the forums, which is why I haven't posted about "Justice" until now.

This was a pretty nifty episode, I'm not thinking it's the best ep of Smallville but I'd rather see them just do this on a new show than go back to the soap opera bullcrap. It also cements Tom Welling as Superman in my book, he looks the part far more than Routh by looking more mature without looking older, and he has a square jaw, plus he's got a bigger build. Funny how this ep worked so well and Lana was nowhere to be found... :p Not sure why they dressed Chloe up so dowdy, her hair and makeup too, like she was a librarian. Nicknaming her "Watchtower" was a good play on the Justice League thing, as was one of the shell corporations for Ollie being "JL Enterprises".

"Justice League" as a live TV show with this cast and style is something I'd tune in for, Lex made a great villain here, the heroes were awesome, the costumes were good (but they need better costumes, no more sunglasses, and we need Supes in the classic costume finally). Chloe as basically their version of Oracle would work.

Droid
01-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't think we'll ever see Batman, Robin, or Wonder Woman on Smallville, but I wouldn't mind seeing Green Lantern for a few episodes (though I've always been partial to Hal Jordan and I'm sure they'd go with someone else, then again, I like Barry Allen as the Flash...)

I have always wanted to see a live action Green Lantern. I think a Hal Jordan movie would be great.

JetsAndHeels
01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't think we'll ever see Batman, Robin, or Wonder Woman on Smallville

You're right, and it is probably due to movie issues or things of that nature. Since there is a sequel to Batman Begins coming out and supposedly a Wonder Woman movie in the works, these two characters will probably never make an appearance.

It would be nice though.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't think we'll ever see Batman, Robin, or Wonder Woman on Smallville, but I wouldn't mind seeing Green Lantern for a few episodes (though I've always been partial to Hal Jordan and I'm sure they'd go with someone else, then again, I like Barry Allen as the Flash...)

I have always wanted to see a live action Green Lantern. I think a Hal Jordan movie would be great.Does that include the Emerald Twilight/Parallax thing? It'd be pretty controversial, but it would give the movie a real story arc. I can't see a GL movie really working too well without a real story arc that has real development, though at least it'd be a good excuse to do nifty green CGI. :p

I also prefer Barry Allen as the Flash.

You're right, and it is probably due to movie issues or things of that nature. Since there is a sequel to Batman Begins coming out and supposedly a Wonder Woman movie in the works, these two characters will probably never make an appearance.

It would be nice though.That's why Smallville exists at all, Warner wanted to do a Gotham City show called "Bruce Wayne" but they were worried it might interfere with their next Batman movie, which they wanted to start over from scratch, the Batman tv show actually went into pre-production before WB pulled the plug, but it gave the production company the idea to do the same thing with Superman and thus "Smallville". However, WB is very protective of how they use their major superheroes, since Batman Begins was ramping up and there was a Wonder Woman movie in preproduction (and still is), those 2 were never allowed to be on the show. They've optioned other heroes to movies as well that they wouldn't allow.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-24-2007, 08:07 PM
I had always *heard* and *read* that we would one day see a young Bruce Wayne making his way to metropolis for business and whatnot. I mean, i highly doubt that the Batman would appear, but it would be kinda nifty to see Bruce in metropolis and maybe busting some heads if necessary. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
That's why Smallville exists at all, Warner wanted to do a Gotham City show called "Bruce Wayne" but they were worried it might interfere with their next Batman movie, which they wanted to start over from scratch, the Batman tv show actually went into pre-production before WB pulled the plug, but it gave the production company the idea to do the same thing with Superman and thus "Smallville". However, WB is very protective of how they use their major superheroes, since Batman Begins was ramping up and there was a Wonder Woman movie in preproduction (and still is), those 2 were never allowed to be on the show. They've optioned other heroes to movies as well that they wouldn't allow.

Well good, I am glad it worked out. If it hadn't I would not have my favorite show on tv today.
Thanks WB. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
I had always *heard* and *read* that we would one day see a young Bruce Wayne making his way to metropolis for business and whatnot. I mean, i highly doubt that the Batman would appear, but it would be kinda nifty to see Bruce in metropolis and maybe busting some heads if necessary. :thumbsup:Nope, never gonna happen, but yeah, it's always been rumored by the fans. Basically, using Ollie Queen the way they did (using a modernized version of his golden age-style backstory where he's a Batman ripoff), that's as close as we're gonna get.

Well good, I am glad it worked out. If it hadn't I would not have my favorite show on tv today.
Thanks WB. :thumbsup:Thank the show's production company who realized it'd be possible to recycle the idea after their Bruce Wayne show tanked, Tollin-Robbins Productions. Then again, if they hadn't done it, we wouldn't be forced to endure the insufferable Lex-Lana thing, so it is a trade-off. :p

Droid
01-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I hated Emarld Twilight. I know they've spent years "fixing" it, but I hated that like nothing else I can think of in comics. So no, I'd leave that out of the movie. I agree you'd need a good script beyond "wow, look what this neat ring can do!"

Tycho
01-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Creepy, almost boring episode tonight, with very little Martian Manhunter in spite of the hype.

I was impressed with Bud The Dog's acting as Shelby though. He really plays a convincing canine. I truly believed he was a dog in this episode (and not rather the writer behind this fiasco).

The music (if you could call it that) was terrible - an ongoing droning that caused my speakers to buzz.

The best and only good acting in the show was the Phantom "doctor" and Michael Rosenbaum's very small bit part as Lex in the wheelchair.

Other than that, boy was this a letdown after last week!

figrin bran
01-26-2007, 01:25 AM
i haven't watched tonight's episode yet (good old fashioned videotape) but if you thought tonight's was lackluster, just wait until that clark under the spell of red kryptonite episode that's coming up.

Droid
01-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I really liked last night's episode! I thought it was well done. I thought a Lionel scene would have been good and since it was all in Clark's head I would have liked them to have Jonathon Kent in it, but I thought it was great.

I am so sick of Lana I can't stand it How many times is Clark going to discover he still has feelings for her, and be so insensitive as to make Chloe listen to it?

It would have been neat to me if Jonathon would have been the one urging Clark to get the treatment, but then they kind of did that last year with Fine urging Clark to kill Lionel.

I thought the Lex-Lana-Clark scene in the coffee house was good.

I liked that Chloe believed in Clark even in the fantasy.

Jor-El Soap, every home should have some.

I do dread next week's episode. I get tired of the "everyone acts weird for an episode and then nothing changes once everyone gets over it" episodes.

Also, I think having an episode where people aren't themselves is a bit much two episodes in a row.

How did the Martian Manhunter get in Clark's head? I'm not that familiar with his powers. And where did he get a device that sucks up creatures?

This Phantom Zone thing reminds me of Ghostbusters. ("I looked at the trap, Ray.")

figrin bran
01-26-2007, 11:14 AM
How did the Martian Manhunter get in Clark's head? I'm not that familiar with his powers. And where did he get a device that sucks up creatures?

This Phantom Zone thing reminds me of Ghostbusters. ("I looked at the trap, Ray.")

I still haven't watched it yet but i can tell you that Martian Manhunter/John Jones or J'onn Jonnz has telepathic powers, not to mention shapeshifting, flight and super strength.

Droid
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I still haven't watched it yet but i can tell you that Martian Manhunter/John Jones or J'onn Jonnz has telepathic powers, not to mention shapeshifting, flight and super strength.

Thanks! That explains "being in Clark's mind".

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Kind of a silly episode last night. I enjoyed seeing the cameo of Martian Manhunter, but c'mon Clark, get over Lana already. She's knockin' boots with LEX, it's OVER! And my God, how many times can he admit to Chloe that he has feelings for Lana. Chloe has supported your silly a-- 110% the whole series Clark, open your damn eyes!

Next week's looks kinda crazay! Lookin' forward to it! :lipsrsealed:

Tycho
01-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Hehe. The Idiots' Guide To Smallville:

Clark discovers he has feelings for Lana
Clark discovers he can run really, really fast
Clark discovers he is affected by meteor rocks
Clark discovers he has X-ray vision
Clark discovers he has super-hearing
Clark discovers that the stones unlock his transporter to the Fortress of Solitude
Clark discovers that Lionnel Luthor is keeping his secret
Clark discovers the Phantom Zone
Clark discovers that Oliver Queen is the Green Arrow and is forming the Justice League
Clark discovers that his home viewing audience is getting tired of his same old routine
Clark AGAIN discovers he has feelings for Lana

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 04:51 AM
I hated Emarld Twilight. I know they've spent years "fixing" it, but I hated that like nothing else I can think of in comics. So no, I'd leave that out of the movie. I agree you'd need a good script beyond "wow, look what this neat ring can do!"Heh heh, I told you it'd be controversial. :p Yeah, it should be left out, I was just goofing around with that comment, taking the "story arc" thing to an extreme. Plus, realistically it'd be impossible to tell in a single movie anyway, far too high-concept and complex, and all it does is serve to damage the character and screw with the DCu.

Then again, I really don't want to see yet another origin story, so little to actually see get done in those.

Creepy, almost boring episode tonight, with very little Martian Manhunter in spite of the hype.I quite liked it, among the most comic-booky episode they've ever done and Welling brought his A-game to the acting, I even believed him buying into the mind-screw. And I was ok with Manhunter until the end in "real life", I wanted like 30 seconds more with him there.

I was impressed with Bud The Dog's acting as Shelby though. He really plays a convincing canine. I truly believed he was a dog in this episode (and not rather the writer behind this fiasco).I liked the dog barking being the source of the sound, that was a good trick.

i haven't watched tonight's episode yet (good old fashioned videotape) but if you thought tonight's was lackluster, just wait until that clark under the spell of red kryptonite episode that's coming up.Haw! I saw the coming attraction and even though they didn't say it was red k, I actually yelled "oh no, not another red kryptonite story!" :p Maybe they'll make it more interesting though this time... maybe.

How did the Martian Manhunter get in Clark's head? I'm not that familiar with his powers. And where did he get a device that sucks up creatures? Jonn J'onnz (that's his name) basically has the majority of Superman's powers plus psychic powers and the ability to turn invisible, phase through matter, and change his physical appearance. Like all Martians, he has an instinctual aversion to all forms of fire, hence the lighter scene.

Kind of a silly episode last night. I enjoyed seeing the cameo of Martian Manhunter, but c'mon Clark, get over Lana already. She's knockin' boots with LEX, it's OVER! And my God, how many times can he admit to Chloe that he has feelings for Lana. Chloe has supported your silly a-- 110% the whole series Clark, open your damn eyes!Clark's had feelings for Lana long after they parted ways in previous media of the characters, though not all. I got the feeling that this episode where he realizes how much he still gives a crap about her is "the real mccoy" turnining point on the issue, he can't lie to himself about it anymore. Yet we know that's not going to turn out as he wants since he'll eventually marry Lois.

I'm more sick of Clark having momentary feelings for Chloe right when she turns her back, that's getting really stale. Plus, c'mon, she's been with Jimmy Olsen, there's no dignity there!

Tycho
01-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Like all Martians, he has an instinctual aversion to all forms of fire, hence the lighter scene.

JediTricks, how many other Martians do you know?

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 09:24 PM
JediTricks, how many other Martians do you know?Within the context of the DC Universe, there is an entire Martian civilization of both green martians and white martians (sometimes J'onn is the last of a dead race, but I believe currently that's not the case and there are other martians out there).

figrin bran
02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
it's rather unsettling to see Clark act like such a jerk, even if under red k influence...more thoughts to come...

JetsAndHeels
02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
it's rather unsettling to see Clark act like such a jerk, even if under red k influence...more thoughts to come...

Really? Well Lex is an even bigger jerk. :)

figrin bran
02-01-2007, 11:11 PM
well of course lex is a bigger jerk. and now that it's settled in a bit, i take back what i said. i'm glad he said those things - way to go Clark!

anyhow, "Crimson" was better than i expected it to be. "this is not your typical pregnancy" as said by the doctor leads me to speculate that Lana might be carrying some sort of 33.1 baby.

at this point i'm divided between feeling that Clark should just heed Martha's advice about forgetting all about Lana or he should do everything he can to break Lexana up to spite Lex, if nothing else.

lastly, Hello Lois!!! :love: :p

JediTricks
02-02-2007, 04:18 PM
anyhow, "Crimson" was better than i expected it to be. "this is not your typical pregnancy" as said by the doctor leads me to speculate that Lana might be carrying some sort of 33.1 baby. Yeah, I think that was finally a good twist with the Lex-Lana that we've been suffering through so long lately.

Well, I have to admit, for a soap opera episode, this was deliciously trashy and worked so well on that level, like Melrose Place was back in its day. I was disappointed that their cheat getting Lois to forget about everything that happened was so basic, but what are you gonna do? Erica looked really great in her boots and short skirts, but the makeup they gave her and the close-ups they put on her did her NO favors. Clark telling ieverybody off was great even if we had to hear Lana say "he's on something" not once but twice just so we'd know the other characters won't ask why it all happened. This episode moved so well it took me a long time to notice that Lionel wasn't at the party or in the episode at all - I think he would have been a distraction as a character but he SHOULD have been there none the less for continuity's sake.

How the hell did Lana get that tool which Lex bent against Clark's side by the end of the episode? Then again, how did Lex have enough strength to bend it? If he had slammed it against concrete as hard as he could it still wouldn't have done that.

The comment early on about the search for their favorite Martian Manhunter was not very well done, they didn't connect the dots very well and using that phrase like it's a reasonable nickname is too far out there.

The actress who played the mysterious potionmaker looked a little like Kristin Kreuk and sounded a LOT like her, I suspect she might be a relative on Kristin's mother's side.

All in all, it's not something I'd want to see them try yet again, and it was far from a perfect episode, but it was kinda fun (until about the last 5 minutes when all that relationship crap with everybody got all somber).

JetsAndHeels
02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Seeing Clark on Red K is very fun to watch. Its really the only time you see him speak his mind and act on his desires...he doesn't have the weight of the world on his shoulders as Lana once said.
Its fun to see him confront his feelings and speak the truth, like what he said to his mother and then to Lex and Lana. Watching him hurl Lex through that table was fun to see also. I want him to give Lex a butt whoopin so bad. :)

Tycho
02-03-2007, 03:08 AM
I enjoyed the episode. I think everything I thought about it has been already spoken. But Lois did look pretty good dressed as she was. Now that's the way I like my women!:love:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Seeing Clark on Red K is very fun to watch. Its really the only time you see him speak his mind and act on his desires...he doesn't have the weight of the world on his shoulders as Lana once said.
Its fun to see him confront his feelings and speak the truth, like what he said to his mother and then to Lex and Lana. Watching him hurl Lex through that table was fun to see also. I want him to give Lex a butt whoopin so bad. :)

That's why I like Clark on the red stuff too cos he never takes the time to speak his mind or be like, "alright, this is crazy: Lana, you're being an idiot. mom, you're getting closer to lionel, knock it off" etc. etc.

Overall, I loved the episode. The beginning had me laughing hysterically with Clark and Lois being so angry at Valentines Day. Especially when Clark and Lois had their backs turned and were nearly pouting like kids. That was great.

I did feel bad for Chloe and Jimmy splitting though. Hopefully, this'll EVENTUALLY open the door for some Chloe and Clark? Cos, c'mon, Chloe needs a tad bit o' happiness. And yeah, Clark needs to leave Lana alone. She got her a-- into this, its' her fault and her doing. If she wants to give birth to Lex's creepy possible mutant doomsday child, so be it.

and yeah, Erica Durance was lookin' quite hot. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Its fun to see him confront his feelings and speak the truth, like what he said to his mother and then to Lex and Lana. Watching him hurl Lex through that table was fun to see also. I want him to give Lex a butt whoopin so bad. :)I didn't get the feeling the first Red K ep was really Clark speaking his mind and acting on his desires, that time I felt like he was pretty much a totally different personality. Then again, real Red K never affects a Kryptonian the same way twice.

As for hurling Lex, I wanted to see him break Lex's arm or something, that would have been wild. But I am getting a little tired of regular humans getting tossed about like that and basically being ok 2 seconds later, or being choked by Superman and not dying immediately. :p

Droid
02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I echo a lot of JediTricks' comments.

I think it is fun to see Clark tell people off, but I think they took it too far. Once again, Lex's security is nowhere to be seen. So Clark is "on something" in everyone's minds, but the police are not involved at all? He can bust into the mansion, kidnap Lana, everyone thinks he's on something, and sheepish apologies cover it all?

How DID Lex bend that bar and how DID Lana get it?

I am sure that it would be classified as a super jump, but it sure seems like Clark flew over to Oliver's. Then again maybe on Red Kryptonite he isn't afraid of heights and accepts he can fly. I guess they wanted to get one last use out of an expensive set, Oliver's apartment.

If Lex thinks he stabbed Clark with that bar wouldn't he wonder why Clark didn't need medical attention?

So is the baby odd because Lex was infected by Zod at one time or is there even the slightest chance that it is Clark's? Why would it be "special"?

Lionel really should have been in the episode.

I am also tired of Clark showing no restraint in how he tosses people around. It may look neat, but it would kill some people. And ya, if he was choking Lex with the slightest murderous intent Lex's throat would have disintergrated in Clark's hand and his head would have fallen off his shoulders.

It seemed like Lois got over her blind lust and acted in character a little bit during some of that Oliver talk, and why was she trying to slow Clark down?

I appreciate that Jimmy acts normally for a person who doesn't really know what's going on with Clark. What he did was a huge unacceptable criminal act and everyone just moving on unless they know Clark's secret is absurd.

But some of Clark's slams were great. And why exactly wouldn't Lana have just said, "I don't love you, Clark" when Lex was standing there and Clark was challenging her to say it?

Droid
02-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Did anyone read the Q&A with the Smallville creators on TVGUIDE.COM where someone asked how Dr. Swan got the key out the wall (which was never explained and I say has no explanation) and they basically answered, "Watch your DVDs carefully. Dr. Swan is very smart." Riiiiiiight.

Tycho
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I just watched all my Smallville DVDs last month and I agree with Droid: no explanation was given on how Dr. Swan got the key. They're just trying to sell more DVD sets and cover up their own continuity error.

We can presume that a man with Swan's resources could get it, but on this kind of show, it's often better to show it than let the audience assume anything.

Droid
02-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I thought this week's episode was a total mess.

It was pretty easy to guess that Lex's security guard was the one stalking Lana (which by the way brings the number of times that Lex's security has been useless off the charts).

I think it is stupid that everyone acts like Clark has a big secret all the time and that Chloe basically admits it to Lana.

Chloe keeps files on Clark on her computer?

Lana is really slimy digging through Chloe and Clark's stuff.

Are we really to believe that Lana would go hide out at the Kents under any circumstances? That was so stupid.

I thought it was cool how they panned over to show Clark had caught Lana. Of course I think Superman would be fast enough to have caught both of them and put the first person he caught down in time to catch the second.

Clark threw somebody (that reporter) again. Someday he is going to kill someone.

But my biggest Smallville pet peeve happened twice this episode, people walk up and Clark doesn't know they are coming and acts surprised. Chloe just appears, "Oh hey Chloe." Lex shows up, I would assume DROVE to the Kents, and Clark is surprised by it? Where is the super hearing? Clark would hear the car, the footsteps, Lex's heartbeat.

And Lex left when Lana was in danger? That makes no sense.

Tycho
02-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I liked the episode, but I admittedly didn't think as hard about it as Droid.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, pretty "eh" episode. I just hope this marriage ENDS the whole Lex/Lana/Clark triangle, at least for, oh, a season or so. I just want the story to get back to CLARK, and hunting down the Zoners and such. And I really hope the season ends with the JLA group having a showdown with Lex in some way shape or form. Here's to a decent episode next week. :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-09-2007, 01:51 PM
So how many Zoners are left? It would seem only 1-2 remain.

There appeared to be 7-8 "star bursts" when Clark escaped the Phantom Zone.

1) Clark (counts as one of the star bursts)
2) Raya (counts as one also)
3) the vine girl that posed as the park ranger
4) the guy Martian Manhunter eliminated (Batista)
5) the guy Martian Manhunter helped Clark destroy in the insane asylum
6) Little Bow-Wow's character
7) ??
8) ??

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-09-2007, 01:54 PM
So how many Zoners are left? It would seem only 1-2 remain.

There appeared to be 7-8 "star bursts" when Clark escaped the Phantom Zone.

1) Clark (counts as one of the star bursts)
2) Raya (counts as one also)
3) the vine girl that posed as the park ranger
4) the guy Martian Manhunter eliminated (Batista)
5) the guy Martian Manhunter helped Clark destroy in the insane asylum
6) Little Bow-Wow's character
7) ??
8) ??

True, but those would make for great episodes. Also, i forgot to point out how much i enjoyed the exchange between Clark and Lex at the end of the episode. It was pretty intense and was by far the best part of the episode.

Tycho
02-09-2007, 02:05 PM
True, but those would make for great episodes. Also, i forgot to point out how much i enjoyed the exchange between Clark and Lex at the end of the episode. It was pretty intense and was by far the best part of the episode.

Yeah, that's right. I liked that part, too. It surprised me that Lex would come there to give Clark an invitation to the wedding! I actually like being surprised once in a while. But the way in which Lex did was definitely "classic-Lex style." Michael Rosenbaum is such a capable actor and the writers do a great job for him.

Hey, do you guys think Lex is secretly seeing some other girl during this time? He and Lana are not sleeping together and there might be the surprise that she is not pregnant with specifically HIS child. I don't think Lex is the type to wait 9 months to indulge his passions. Meanwhile, it was Blade the TV series that had a woman presumably pregnant with another Daywalker vampire that was actually only carrying some sort of fluid one Vampire house was going to use to eliminate another. Complicating that, it was revealed to actually be a syrume that was to be used to kill the Pure Bloods and impose the reign of the converts.

How do we know Lana is actually pregnant with a baby? How much Smallville time has passed on the show as well? The season goes 9 months or so, but Lana doesn't really look even 4-6 weeks pregnant.

pbarnard
02-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, that's right. I liked that part, too. It surprised me that Lex would come there to give Clark an invitation to the wedding! I actually like being surprised once in a while. But the way in which Lex did was definitely "classic-Lex style." Michael Rosenbaum is such a capable actor and the writers do a great job for him.

Hey, do you guys think Lex is secretly seeing some other girl during this time? He and Lana are not sleeping together and there might be the surprise that she is not pregnant with specifically HIS child. I don't think Lex is the type to wait 9 months to indulge his passions. Meanwhile, it was Blade the TV series that had a woman presumably pregnant with another Daywalker vampire that was actually only carrying some sort of fluid one Vampire house was going to use to eliminate another. Complicating that, it was revealed to actually be a syrume that was to be used to kill the Pure Bloods and impose the reign of the converts.

How do we know Lana is actually pregnant with a baby? How much Smallville time has passed on the show as well? The season goes 9 months or so, but Lana doesn't really look even 4-6 weeks pregnant.

I keep waiting for her to fall down the stairs and miscarry (and that really isn't medically possible under most circumstances).

Tycho
02-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Unconfirmed Spoiler (highlight to read): :::

Lana has already lost the baby.

This leaves open the speculation that she is testing Lex's love for her, or her ulterior motive to learn the truth about Clark because she still loves him. But she has not told Lex that she has lost the baby. And it still may not have ever been his to begin with - though I don't see it being Clark's, and Lana has only slept with those two. ::: (end spoiler)

To respond to this and protect spoilers, type {color=foeded} whatever you're going to type, and {/color} but use " [ ] " instead of { } and let people know where your text is by using ::: and ::: to indicated where they should start and stop highlighting.

Or just run with it. It's "just a TV show" versus a movie whereas people get hyper-sensitive about spoilers and they pay money to view the film, unlike TV, but especially true with Star Wars around these parts.

It's funny, because of popular anti-Michael Bay sentiment, anything goes in the Transformers movie thread. But I'll let you guys determine how far Smallville Spoilers go in this one.

Meanwhile, in the next Batman movie, Batman has a sex change and species change and becomes Gopher-Girl, takes on Chevy Chase, and...

No - I don't want to spoiler that movie for you... :D