PDA

View Full Version : Does the AT-AT not leave on Endor?

Battle Droid
09-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Vader tells the Imperial Officer to leave and bring Luke's companions to him, but we never hear the AT-AT leave or nothing.

We can still even see it's head in the shot at the end.

Jargo
09-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I would assume that the imperial officer is looking at his subordinates and all of them are shrugging their shoulders and thinking WTF!? it's a big place and one AT-AT sent to find them is gonna take a loooooong time. :)

seriously i'd imagine they would have to muster some kind of team to go looking and set up scanners and so on. so it wouldn't have gone immediately. Also at that precise point there only seems to be a skeleton service crew on the moon. It's only when the Emperor knows vader has Luke that he sends his legion of finest troopers down there in readiness for the 'surprise' attack by the rebels. so any search would probably wait until those troops had arrived. maximum backup sort of thing.

Or the large set piece of the At-At they built for the scene looked so nice they wanted it in shot for a few seconds longer.

Slicker
09-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm sure they were talking matters over and trying to get a plan of attack. They can't just run off and search the entire planet so they probably stayed in the relative safety of the platform until further notice.

Or perhaps the AT-AT wasn't even part of the search party and it's home "port", if you will, is the platform. Maybe it's from there that the search will be commanded.

Rocketboy
09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Maybe they were in the middle of refueling.

El Chuxter
09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I think I read somewhere that only a couple of AT-ATs were commissioned on Endor, and they turned out to be useless for everything except short-range transport and security of the front entrance. The Rebels attacked the rear entrance, avoiding most of the larger ordnance.

stillakid
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Maybe they were in the middle of refueling.

Or dumping the "blue water."

bobafrett
09-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Or dumping the "blue water."

Or perhaps it was a display, like those museum pieces where you can take the kids through a submarine or a 707, or an AT-At with a guided tour!

tagmac
09-07-2006, 03:53 PM
I think I read somewhere that only a couple of AT-ATs were commissioned on Endor, and they turned out to be useless for everything except short-range transport and security of the front entrance. The Rebels attacked the rear entrance, avoiding most of the larger ordnance.

Makes sense, since the size of the trees would have made for too many obstacles blocking the way of the lumbering walkers. The smaller, more maneuverable AT-ST's obviously fared much better in negotiating the smallish spaces between the trees (when compared to a walker, that is).

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 06:56 PM
The weird curve of the AT-AT head makes me think it's partly a matte painting or a set backdrop and can't go anywhere.

The in-universe excuse could be any of the above, the AT-ATs maneuvering Endor really made no sense with all those tall redwood trees, maybe they were used more as semi-mobile command bases and they were sending out the communications from there.

stillakid
09-07-2006, 07:34 PM
How do the guys get in and out of those things anyway when there isn't big convenient gantry nearby? I mean, I guess we assume that the Hoth troops came via the AT-ATs, no? So how did they get down from there?

Blue2th
09-07-2006, 07:47 PM
How do the guys get in and out of those things anyway when there isn't big convenient gantry nearby? I mean, I guess we assume that the Hoth troops came via the AT-ATs, no? So how did they get down from there?
I can imagine them repelling out of the AT-AT. Unless there is a hovering platform to lower them?

shammykenobi
09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I believe I remember reading somewhere that at-at's legs fold up and they 'kneel' down to let troops out...I think I saw that in one of those incredible cross section books or something.

Blue2th
09-07-2006, 08:28 PM
I believe I remember reading somewhere that at-at's legs fold up and they 'kneel' down to let troops out...I think I saw that in one of those incredible cross section books or something.
Wow, that's cool. Sounds logical though. Kneeling like an elephant with the front two legs, or a camel with all four would be better. I imagine they would repell if they were in a hurry like the Utapau clones.

Jargo
09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
I could imagine a section of the body lowering on pneumatic/hydraulic 'poles' so the troopers in a pod section are delivered to the ground without having the AT-AT make a really clumsy kneeling manouvre like kneeling. They carry quite a number of speeder bikes in the rear too so without flying out of the rear end how do those get on the ground if not by being lowered? Again a lowering pod would seem most logical to avoid damage. The only other way would be if the AT-AT parked at some convenient ridge or cliff predetermined by a thorough terrain scan. it'd be just like the landing platform gantry ramp, it parks the door slides open and the troopers unload then progress on speeder or by foot from there.
The whole kneeling thing seems like it would require way too much structural support in the legs as those things must weigh in at enormous tonnage. it could possibly kneel down but it would be jarring and structure shaking. I can imagine getting it back up would be troublesome.
using natural platform features in landscape just makes more sense. and failing that dropping pods carefully out of the bottom of the body section. You don't want your troopers damaged physically before they even get into battle, there has to be a more cushioned way of delivering them to the ground.

shammykenobi
09-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I guess with real-world physics, everything you just said is true Daddypants, but with sci-fi you can do whatever you want, like explosions in space and what-not, but you already know that...anyhow, i'm gonna see if i can't find some more info on how at-at's offload...if i find anything I will post the link.

shammykenobi
09-08-2006, 07:07 PM
O.k...here' we go this is from wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt...looks like the cable was for the troops and kneeling was for ordinanance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-AT

El Chuxter
09-08-2006, 11:28 PM
There's at least one book (a pop-up book, I think) that shows Snowtroopers disembarking from a kneeling AT-AT on Hoth.

This article is even more spotty than the usual Wikinonsense. It left out Davin Felth totally. Yeah, EU, but if you're going to bring up all this other EU info, throw in the guy who discovered that the legs were a weak point and was demoted to a Sandtrooper for pointing this out to his superior officer.

stillakid
09-08-2006, 11:35 PM
There's at least one book (a pop-up book, I think) that shows Snowtroopers disembarking from a kneeling AT-AT on Hoth.

This article is even more spotty than the usual Wikinonsense. It left out Davin Felth totally. Yeah, EU, but if you're going to bring up all this other EU info, throw in the guy who discovered that the legs were a weak point and was demoted to a Sandtrooper for pointing this out to his superior officer.

He said pop-up. :yes: