PDA

View Full Version : What are the Top 5 Boy's Toy Lines of all time?

fullmoon_13
09-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Just wondering if any one knows the answer to this and if yes, their source for the info. I have a current argument with a college prof. who believes that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the #2 boy's toy line after G.I. Joe. I think Star Wars has to be at least #2 if not #1.

Thanks

pbarnard
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Based on what? Sales? Name/brand recognition? Duration on the market? Excluding video games and bicycles

Based on observation of availability 1) LEGOs 2) Matchbox/Hot Wheels 3)GI Joe 4)Star Wars 5) Power Rangers

2-1B
09-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Is this a side argument with the prof or something actually going on in the classroom? lol lol lol

jjreason
09-08-2006, 01:25 PM
If it's revenue based, I'm sure Hot Wheels has to be first. They've been around longer than SW, and move so many units that it's absolutely scary. SW has been around long enough to make a lot of money though, I'd wager more than GIJoe. I can't imagine that anything like TMNT, Power Rangers or whatever else has come out since the late 80s can possibly compete with the money made by those 2 lines. GI Joe has also been around forever, but again there hasn't been anything significant going on with the line for years. They sell enough to stay afloat, but you don't see it everywhere like SW and Hotwheels.

Lego I can't even speculate on, but it's another animal entirely. Building toys seem seperate somehow.

fullmoon_13
09-08-2006, 01:59 PM
It's possible he meant all toys. I took it at the time as just action figures. He just made a blanket statement in class that G.I. Joe was the best selling boy's toy line followed by TMNT. I fully agree with the Legos and Hot Wheels/Matchbox being above all of them. Anyone know where I can get some solid sales figures or even just a reputable source with rankings to argue with?

stillakid
09-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Madonna, Britney Spears, and Kirk Douglas in Sparticus (for "special" boys)

Droid
09-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I'll bet Transfomers has done more business than TMNT.

LusiferSam
09-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Based on what? Sales? Name/brand recognition? Duration on the market? Excluding video games and bicycles

Based on observation of availability 1) LEGOs 2) Matchbox/Hot Wheels 3)GI Joe 4)Star Wars 5) Power Rangers

pbarnard brings up a good point. What is this based on? TMNT is not number two no matter how you figure it. Sure in '89 or '90 it might have been one number, but of all time? I high doubt it. TMNT is in the Top Ten for sure, but not the Top Five.

Based a combination of sales, brand recognition, longevity, and what I've seen kids play with, I'd say GI Joe is number one. Lego (which is more androgynous, but tiled towards boys) and Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars are 2 and 3 (but which is which I can't say). Star Wars being number four and Erector at number five. This is for the US only. GI Joe fairs pretty poorly out the the US market. Lego does better, but again it's much more androgynous than the others. I have no clue on the toy cars or Star Wars.

JediTricks
09-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Power Rangers was the #1 the longest among a truly competitive market (you can't say the same about GI Joe since when it started it was the only toy of its kind), I think PR was the #1 seller for a dozen years straight through the '90s and into this decade.

Also, GI Joe faltered after only a few years in the '60s, Hasbro revamped it into that 8" adventure line in the '70s where all the guys had flocked hair, and then revamped it again into 12" and then into the beloved 4" GI Joe: A Real American Hero line in '82.

TMNT, while a top seller in the early '90s, only had a few solid years and a lot of lesser ones.

Star Wars has I believe made the most in action figure revenues overall, Hot Wheels has made more unit sales but I'm not sure if it's made more money (they still only sell for a buck today, not a huge profit per unit, so they have to move a lot of units).

stillakid
09-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Star Wars being number four and Erector at number five. This is for the US only. GI Joe fairs pretty poorly out the the US market. Lego does better, but again it's much more androgynous than the others. I have no clue on the toy cars or Star Wars.

He said Erector. :yes:

Kidhuman
09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Just go and look at VH1's top 100 toys of all time.

fullmoon_13
09-08-2006, 05:44 PM
The problem with the VH-1 list is that it took into account online voting which doesn't help me much. This was brought up in a History course called Material and Popular Culture, and I guess what I'm looking for are hard numbers such as units sold and or total revenue.

Kidhuman
09-08-2006, 05:46 PM
In that case you could say alot of things are top ranked such as lincoln logs which have been around for many decades as compared ot power rangers which is less than 15 years. Judging it on revenue is not a good thing.

fullmoon_13
09-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Units sold would be best. I'm just looking to prove to him that Star Wars out sells TMNT but he won't believe it (since he's a History prof., have to document everything) without numbers and a reputable source.

2-1B
09-08-2006, 05:59 PM
What numbers does the prof offer to prove HIS point about tmnt? :confused:

fullmoon_13
09-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Why none of course...he's the prof.

I didn't call him on his sources after he poo pooed my petition that Star Wars outsells TMNT because I wanted to have some hard numbers to back up my claim.

And I didn't need the entire class thinking I'm a complete geek on the first day of class. I have the whole semester for that.

stillakid
09-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Units sold would be best. I'm just looking to prove to him that Star Wars out sells TMNT but he won't believe it (since he's a History prof., have to document everything) without numbers and a reputable source.

He said unit. :yes:

bigbarada
09-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I would guess if you were talking about pop culture recognition, then I think GI Joe would rank #1 easily. It seems to be the boy's toy equivalent of Barbie. Also it seems to be almost as univerally appealing to boys of any country/culture as toy cars (which includes Hot Wheels).

When I was in Korea, the young boys of an orphanage that I visited absolutely loved Hot Wheels type cars (basically small, metal, toy cars; not necessarily the Hot Wheels brand). It was similar for an orphanage that I visited recently in Mexico as well. Not much interest in action figures, just toy cars, stuffed animals and bicycles/skateboards/etc.

TMNT was just a fad in the late-80s/early-90s, nothing more. It's been revived somewhat but is nowhere near as popular as it used to be.

But then again, some might claim that Star Wars was just a late-70s/early-80s fad that has been revived for collectors only. But if you're talking about sales, then Star Wars really has to be #1 or #2.

I'm not sure where LEGO fits in, since I don't think they're considered strictly a "boy's toy."

El Chuxter
09-09-2006, 12:30 AM
TMNT was huge for a few years, slightly popular now. But SW was vastly popular from 1977-1984, and again from 1995 to the present. SW has easily outperformed TMNT, though I couldn't provide concrete numbers.

JediTricks
09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
In that case you could say alot of things are top ranked such as lincoln logs which have been around for many decades as compared ot power rangers which is less than 15 years. Judging it on revenue is not a good thing.Keep in mind though, while Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets have been around a very long time, until the time of GI Joe there was no year-round toy business, toys were sold almost exclusively only at Christmastime, toy stores were small mom & pop places that were few and far between - Toys R Us essentially invented the year-round toy business which heavily increased units sold (it helped that the population of the US exploded right around then too).

Plus, technically Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets and Mister Potatohead are not "boys toys", they are marketed as genderless. Boys toys from before GI Joe would be doctor and policeman sets.

As for hard numbers of TMNT vs SW sales in terms of units, I don't know where to find them, they require more research than a simple google search or wikipedia entry, Playmates Toys does not have the info on their corporate history page.

I'm not sure where LEGO fits in, since I don't think they're considered strictly a "boy's toy."Originally not, but as the company switched from offering bricks and idea books to selling actual kits, they slowly grew a divide in their product between boys toys, genderless toys, and even several lines of girls LEGO sets (Scala, Belleville).

TMNT was huge for a few years, slightly popular now. But SW was vastly popular from 1977-1984, and again from 1995 to the present. SW has easily outperformed TMNT, though I couldn't provide concrete numbers.I was going to respond to BB's claim with the same statement, Star Wars toys sold from '78 to '85 and then '95 on, but TMNT actually had a longer first run from '87 to '96 ('97 if you count the briefly-lived live action show's toys), though the total run is shorter than SW because SW currently is enjoying an 11 year rebirth while TMNT has had 2 years of medium sales, and the last few original years of TMNT were pretty slow too.