PDA

View Full Version : Some of Hasbro's 12" can hold their own with SideShow's

Tycho
09-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I just brought out of storage my Hasbro 12" figures related to Jabba's Palace. It may be a while until Sideshow processes and ships their huge Jabba, but now I'm ready.

That being said, I discovered something interesting. As I generaly don't buy resculpts, I'm not planning to get SideShow figures that I already have (good) Hasbro versions of. Thus I did not order SS's Luke Jedi figure.

But I have Hasbro's Luke Jedi figure (FAO Schwarz 2-pack version) right here, right next to me now. A few minutes ago, I took it for a walk to compare it to my SideShow ROTS Anakin figure. While perhaps Anakin has more detailed clothing and accessories, the sculpt, which I think is the most important, is on par between the two figures! I thought Anakin would totally outclass Luke, but I was wrong. This 1997 12" figure holds itself up just fine to the 2006 SideShow job on Anakin. Go figure.

Looking at my Hasbro Jabba 12", in comparison to pictures I've seen of the SideShow collection, I have this to say:

Leia Boush - I'm not ordering SS's, but it kicks the tar out of Hasbro's who's rooted hair was not done that well.

Bib Fortuna - Hasbro's (FAO exclusive) is quite good enough. I'm sure SS's is better, but...

Boba Fett - Hasbro's original sucked, but the Electronic works. SS could do better, but I don't need it.

Chewie in Chains - SideShow needs to do a good Wookiee. Hasbro has mostly failed except for the 15" OTC - which isn't Chewie in Chains anyway.

Gamorrean Guard - Hasbro's is very cartoon looking. There's a lot to like, but SideShow could get it better (though I don't really need it).

Luke Jedi Knight - he's roughly equivalent from both brands in terms of sculpts (this is the FAO exclusive one for Hasbro's). I don't have a preference, thus didn't need SideShow's.

Oh - and Han Solo Carbonite - SideShow could kick butt on a remake here! The Han figure was horrendous as far as the sculpt. The block was pretty good but nevertheless an empty sculpture.

AmanaMatt
09-09-2006, 10:28 PM
There were a few items that Hasbro made in the 12" scale that rocked:

Tauntaun :razz:
IG-88 (just lacked in paint detail) :love:
Biker Scout with Bike lol
C-3PO (not bad at all) :thumbsup:
Jango Fett was pretty darn good - one of their absolute best head sculpts.

I sure do not remember any Jedi Luke Hasbro made that could even be compared to the Sideshow Jedi Luke - he is truly amazing.

I always felt that the Gamorrean Guard Hasbro did was a great sculpt - one ruined by horrible paint apps.

Kidhuman
09-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I always liked Hasbros Dooku 12" version&

El Chuxter
09-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Jango, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, Gamorrean Guard, and especially Count Dooku are excellent figures.

Bosskman
09-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Some of the Hasbro figures are really good - for Hasbro figures - but the Sideshow ones are infinately better. I'd never display them together, in fact, I've gotten rid of over half my Hasbro 12 inchers now that I've started with sideshow and will probably widdle them down to about 10 once it's all over with.

Darth Jax
09-10-2006, 09:59 AM
all the ESB bounty hunters were done pretty well by hasbro in the 12" line.

shammykenobi
09-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Jango, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, Gamorrean Guard, and especially Count Dooku are excellent figures.

I said the exact same thing in a Sideshow post the other day. The 12" hasbro luke hoth is really good too. And I thought that both Hasbro Mace windu's were really good. The sculpts needed a little work and better color for his skin tone, but the boots and clothe's were spot-on.

maatu
09-10-2006, 11:02 AM
i think the luke on speeder bike was pretty good figure. it stands up to the sideshow.

Darth Cruel
09-10-2006, 02:35 PM
I am with Bosskman, but my opinion is even more extreme. In my own head...there is not a Hasbro 12" figure that deserves to be displayed next to a Sideshow 12" figure. Not IG-88, not C-3PO, not Ki-Adi Mundi, not Count Dooku and not even the EIII Clone Trooper who is my own favorite Hasbro turd and actually does not LOOK out of place next to the Sideshow Jedi. It may look like the turd it is once Sideshow graces us with their's, however.

Bosskman
09-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Hey Cruel, I agree 100%. Turds next to Sideshow and NEVER to be displayed next to them.

BTW, have I told you lately that I love your signature? That was one of the best SPs ever. AWESOMO 3000

Darth Cruel
09-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Hey Cruel, I agree 100%. Turds next to Sideshow and NEVER to be displayed next to them.

BTW, have I told you lately that I love your signature? That was one of the best SPs ever. AWESOMO 3000

I had tears coming out of my eyes from laughing when Butters was making Cartman help him with his supository.

jedi master sal
09-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I enjoy the vast majority of Hasbro's 12 inch figure line and STILL wish they would be making them. THe biggest reason: PRICE!!

For $50 I dang well would expect perfection in the face sculpt. I've seen a couple of the figus now and have to say that while I didn't like them from pictures I've seen on the net, in person...I like them even less.

Horrid face sculpts. It's not hard to make jedi clothes, so that's a no brainer for most of their line so far. It should really have been the heads then that got the most attention to detail.

No thanks SSC. I'll take my cheapo $10-20 Hasbro figs and be happy with them.

With the exception of the Jabba sets, which I am buying-mostly because they haven't been done before and I want them, I don't expect to buy figures from SSC on a regular basis. Now Cody or Gree, well I'll have to seriously consider them...

Tycho
09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
You know what I noticed? SideShow does not include articulated fingers to adjust their figures' handgrips.

Hasbro has articulated fingers on Lando Skiff Guard, Count Dooku, and maybe some others I believe.

I think SideShow originally intended to package alternate hands with their figures, but I'm not sure. I have Anakin, Kit, and Han from SideShow and I don't believe any of those come with alternate hands.

My Obi-Wan may arrive today (keeping my fingers crossed). But those are all the different SSs I ordered (though I got 2 Obi-Wans coming).

JediTricks
09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
For me, it's more than the head sculpt, the head sculpt is a significant portion of why I buy these but the outfits, bodies, and accessories are probably at least as significant.

The Luke Jedi figure is one of the better ones, but its head is too large and the sculpt too soft, and its paint is only "ok".

I am getting the new Leia Boushh, the Hasbro one is "good" but really this one deserves the best.

I'm not bothering with Bib Fortuna either.

I'm definitely getting SSC's Boba Fett, the electronic one's head is still too small and its body is bulky and the right arm hard to move down due to the electronic button; the VOTC 12" Fett is better but the plastic armor sucks.

Chewie in Chains is like nobody's ever tried to do it.

Gamorrean Guard's sculpt is very good, but the paint is poor and the articulation is cruddy. However, SSC Jabba's articulation is just as cruddy so if they tried the guard it may come out nearly as inarticualated.

Han Carbonite was good if a little soft, but I hated that cross hatching on the flat parts of the block.

Honestly, so far Hasbro has gotten its behind whomped by SSC because generally Hasbro's work is so far beneath even SSC's worst work.

You know what I noticed? SideShow does not include articulated fingers to adjust their figures' handgrips.

Hasbro has articulated fingers on Lando Skiff Guard, Count Dooku, and maybe some others I believe.Ugh, when they switched to those thinner Gung Ho bodies, they added the Gung Ho Grip soon after and those hands are small, misshapen, and can't hold ANYTHING.

I think SideShow originally intended to package alternate hands with their figures, but I'm not sure. I have Anakin, Kit, and Han from SideShow and I don't believe any of those come with alternate hands.Luke has extra hands.

Tycho
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
the outfits, bodies, and accessories are probably at least as significant.

All of my Anakin's accessories are stored in his utility belt. I know they're there, but you can't see them. That's my choice though, I guess.

[QUOTE]I am getting the new Leia Boushh, the Hasbro one is "good" but really this one deserves the best.

Very true, but I'll save some money. My Hasbro Leia is right next to me and I can live with her.

I'm definitely getting SSC's Boba Fett,

As far as I know, only a premium format (22" or so) has been announced. There's no 12" Fett unless I'm mistaken.

Gamorrean Guard's sculpt is very good, but the paint is poor and the articulation is cruddy. However, SSC Jabba's articulation is just as cruddy so if they tried the guard it may come out nearly as inarticualated.

Since SideShow charged nearly $400 for all of the stuff relating to Jabba and people are paying it, I'd say they can charge $120 or whatever for all the articulation a good Gamorrean would need.

Han Carbonite was good if a little soft, but I hated that cross hatching on the flat parts of the block.

Han Carbonite was one of the worst things Hasbro ever sold! He needs:

1) Extra hands to put in his "frozen pose."
2) A completely enclosing carbonite coffin
3) An alternate carbonite coffin cover to show the figure within it, as he's melting.
4) His force pike and skiff guard blaster gun

To this day I'm mad that Hasbro hasn't even done Han justice in the 3 3/4" line when they could make it as a good Deluxe figure or VOTC one already. But they've failed since 1996! Geeze.

Ugh, when they switched to those thinner Gung Ho bodies, they added the Gung Ho Grip soon after and those hands are small, misshapen, and can't hold ANYTHING.

Wrong. Lando Skiff is right next to me as well and he's doing fine holding his foce-pike. My Dooku's in storage, but I had no problem with him as well.

Blue2th
09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
I thought about selling my Hasbro collection of 12" because of the Sideshow figures. I have almost every one from the mid 90's on. There was alot of time and effort to get them, and I remember how hard it was to get all of what I have. I can't bring myself to part with them just yet. I've even been eye-ballin' a few on eBay I don't have. Some of the SS figs are really good, but some I have been underwhelmed with. Especially when the headsculpt we get is different from the prototypes we see. I have bought every one so far though.

2-1B
09-11-2006, 09:54 PM
My Obi-Wan may arrive today (keeping my fingers crossed).

Not with those non-articulated fingers, you won't ! lol

Anybody else going to display their 12" plush wireframe Chewie with their Sideshow figures? :p

Bosskman
09-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Those Hasbro "articulated" fingers don't hold crap. Mine are all loose (on my Dooku and Lando at least, don't got Palpy no more. Man I'm getting closer and closer to getting rid of all my hasbro 12 inch except for the Tauntauns, Speeder Bikes, Sith Speeder and the bounty hunters (ONLY for the the fact that's I'm seriously considering an Executor Six sub-collection)

A SIDESHOW DOOKU WOULD RULE!

JediTricks
09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
All of my Anakin's accessories are stored in his utility belt. I know they're there, but you can't see them. That's my choice though, I guess.You didn't have to store them there, you chose to.

Very true, but I'll save some money. My Hasbro Leia is right next to me and I can live with her.Bad reasoning IMO, Hasbro Leia will get worse and worse in your eyes as time passes, and then you'll be stuck without the SSC version and will have to pay a big ebay price to get it.

As far as I know, only a premium format (22" or so) has been announced. There's no 12" Fett unless I'm mistaken.Not YET.

Since SideShow charged nearly $400 for all of the stuff relating to Jabba and people are paying it, I'd say they can charge $120 or whatever for all the articulation a good Gamorrean would need.Ooookay, I won't be paying that.

Han Carbonite was one of the worst things Hasbro ever sold! He needs:

1) Extra hands to put in his "frozen pose."
2) A completely enclosing carbonite coffin
3) An alternate carbonite coffin cover to show the figure within it, as he's melting.
4) His force pike and skiff guard blaster gun

To this day I'm mad that Hasbro hasn't even done Han justice in the 3 3/4" line when they could make it as a good Deluxe figure or VOTC one already. But they've failed since 1996! Geeze.Han would also need a new head, but I am not faulting the carbonite block accessory for the figure's failures.

Wrong. Lando Skiff is right next to me as well and he's doing fine holding his foce-pike. My Dooku's in storage, but I had no problem with him as well.It depends on how light it is and how thin it is, Dooku's saber always slips out of his hand, it's pathetic, these are ugly hands that don't even do their job right.

I've been considering selling my collection as well, at least major portions of it, it takes up too much space and doesn't bring me joy anymore.

El Chuxter
09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
My Hasbro Leia Boushh cost me $9.98 on clearance and came with a frosty Han. Sideshow can't match that, regardless of quality.

Tycho
09-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I got my SSE 12" Obi-Wan today and he's out and already fighting my Anakin. That has little to do with this thread, but I just thought I'd share.

JediTricks
09-13-2006, 09:11 PM
My Hasbro Leia Boushh cost me $9.98 on clearance and came with a frosty Han. Sideshow can't match that, regardless of quality.
I know of some dog doo that I could put a Boushh helmet on and sell you for just a nickel, and SSC couldn't beat THAT either. :p Plus, at least the dog doo won't have a slightly pink outfit, barbie body, and glowing Vietnam memorial wall accessory with a picture of Han carbonite screened onto the front. ;)

Darth Cruel
09-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Especially when the headsculpt we get is different from the prototypes we see. I have bought every one so far though.

It is not the sculpt...just the paint app.

I know of some dog doo that I could put a Boushh helmet on and sell you for just a nickel, and SSC couldn't beat THAT either. :p Plus, at least the dog doo won't have a slightly pink outfit, barbie body, and glowing Vietnam memorial wall accessory with a picture of Han carbonite screened onto the front. ;)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........Go JT! Go JT! It's your birthday! It's your birthday!

(Sorry...it has been a long busy day and I am in a goofy mood)

Kidhuman
09-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Actually it was hid B-day last week.&

dr_evazan22
09-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Lets not forget Lando in Skiff disguise. Another really good hasbro fig.

Darth Cruel
09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Let's not gloss over the simple basic truth. ANY Hasbro 12" figure placed next to a Sideshow figure of the same version of the same character is a turd next to a diamond (albiet sometimes in the rough).

2-1B
09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Except for the first 12inch Chewie, right Darth Cruel ? ? ?

dr_evazan22
09-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Since it seems so hard to get a good likeness for a wookiee at the 12" (1/6) scale it might be better to go to the slightly larger Premium Format 18" (1/4) scale, to get more realistic fur. Of course at that scale Chewie would end up being closer to about 22" - 23" tall.

Tycho
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Then you can customize him with a "milk mustache" and everything will be self-explanatory. :D

Blue2th
09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Since it seems so hard to get a good likeness for a wookiee at the 12" (1/6) scale it might be better to go to the slightly larger Premium Format 18" (1/4) scale, to get more realistic fur. Of course at that scale Chewie would end up being closer to about 22" - 23" tall.
I think the 1/6 scale would be do-able. In 13" or 14" tall. Like you say though, Chewy needs some kind of real fake fur. I never bought the Hasbro plastic ones, and I've only got Chewbacca in chains which is kinda cheezy. It would be quite a challenge to get him right.

JediTricks
09-17-2006, 04:15 AM
Chewie at 1:6th scale would be 15" tall, I just did the math based on 12" in 1:6th representing an average 6' height, Chewie is 7.5' tall and 1/6th of that is 15" tall. I think Chewie's likeness is hard to capture at this size because the hair won't hang the same way it does at full size, so 1:6th or 1:4th won't really make much of a difference, it all comes down to getting the right material.

plasticfetish
09-17-2006, 06:13 AM
it all comes down to getting the right material.Guinea pig hair might work. :D (I hope they don't bother... I'm over the Chewbacca idea. They always end up looking very odd.)

-----

You know, after reading through this thread, and then giving the idea some thought, I don't think that I'm really very interested in comparing Hasbro to Sideshow. To me they're not making the same sort of product, and it's not fair to judge them by the same standards.

Hasbro was making a lower priced toy geared toward children, and Sideshow is selling a higher priced "collectible" that's made with the adults in mind. I'm not saying that Hasbro shouldn't be criticized for some of the bad figures that they've put out, but certainly they also deserve a certain amount of credit for the decent toys that they've offered us. I honestly kind of wish that they'd decided to continue putting out their own more traditional kid oriented 12" line, as well as allow Sideshow to produce the high-end figures.

jedi master sal
09-17-2006, 07:11 AM
I honestly kind of wish that they'd [Hasbro] decided to continue putting out their own more traditional kid oriented 12" line, as well as allow Sideshow to produce the high-end figures.

I agree. I bought all of their 12 inch stuff all along with less than a handfull of exceptions.

I'd still be buying their stuff today, if they would make it.

JediTricks
09-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Hasbro's 12" line failed in part because they were trying to have their cake and eat it too, focusing on collectors but using kid-quality work just in case a casual buyer ever accidentally bought one, and ultimately the 12" line was too low-quality for collectors and too dull for casual buyers.