PDA

View Full Version : Collecting

LUKE_SOLO
09-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm fairly new to the expanded universe of Star Wars as well as collecting, as far as that goes I have two Star Wars figures... And some books. I was wondering if any of you would have any idea of stuff for me to buy. I'm gonna get all of the new saga collection, but other than that I'm lost... I want figures that have bases, as I want them to look nice out of the box. Anyone know anything that would be good for me. I much prefer the original trilogy to the prequels, so I don't really want any prequel items. Thanks in advance.

Kidhuman
09-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Only the recent figures had bases. Most of them you will have to buy them for. As far as figures that look good the Power of the Jedi(POTJ) line is the best. Each line has it good looking figures and its duds. Your best option is too search the photo database for the ones you like and get them. Also check the trading section for people trading or selling stuff. Welcome ot the borads. &

LUKE_SOLO
09-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Do you know where I can buy bases from?
Or even better, is it possible to get blank named SAGA bases?

LUKE_SOLO
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Anyone help? Please...

stillakid
09-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Anyone help? Please...

Some figures over the past few years have come with stands/bases and others haven't. I never figured out if there was a pattern to it all myself.

Look for REALSTANDS somewhere on the internet. I'm not sure where you can buy them anymore, but some "fan" somewhere finally got tired of his figures falling over and starting making these small flat plastic circles with little pegs in them for the figures to get "stuck" on. They are relatively inexpensive and worth it if you want to display your figures.

Kidhuman
09-10-2006, 05:42 PM
You can try www.entertainmentearth.com for stands or anyone of the sponsors on the pages.

LUKE_SOLO
09-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks. I'll take them into account. Before I buy some; so there's no stands resembling the SAGA stands?

stillakid
09-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks. I'll take them into account. Before I buy some; so there's no stands resembling the SAGA stands?

Just other Saga stands. :D (But don't tell them that. They have pretty low self-esteem as it is)

dindae
09-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Hasbro did state resently they are going to be selling bases in 2007 through their site but they didn't give any details yet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2006, 08:36 PM
A brief history of action figure stand/bases:

*Commtech chips - These play poor-sounding recordings of bad voice actors reciting lines from the films with a Commtech reader. The chips double as stands with pictures of the character on them. They are quite bulky and kind of shiny. Available with all figures in the Episode I line, as well as around 10 figures from the Power of the Force line.
*Scene bases - These are more or less small diorama pieces that enhance the look of the figures, and are based on locales from the film. They often interlock with one another, though sometimes it doesn't quite work. Available with certain figures in the "Saga" line, certain figures in the Original Trilogy Collection, and Collection 2 figures in the Revenge of the Sith line (several of which are now being re-shipped as Greatest Battles or Heroes and Villains figures).
*Star Wars bases - These are rectangular bases that look somewhat futuristic and have a small Star Wars logo on them. They interlock with one another, but the first several batches just didn't work. They come in clear, gray, and black colors. Available with several figures in the "Saga" line, all figures in the Hall of Fame assortment, and several figures in the Original Trilogy Collection.
*Name bases - These are the ones that are currently shipping with figures in the Saga Collection. They are the thinnest bases so far and feature a movie name on their top and the character's name on the front. Hasbro will be selling these next year without the names. They do not interlock with one another.

There are other, third-party companies that also sell various kinds of stands.

stillakid
09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
A brief history of action figure stand/bases:

*Commtech chips - These play poor-sounding recordings of bad voice actors reciting lines from the films with a Commtech reader. The chips double as stands with pictures of the character on them. They are quite bulky and kind of shiny. Available with all figures in the Episode I line, as well as around 10 figures from the Power of the Force line.
*Scene bases - These are more or less small diorama pieces that enhance the look of the figures, and are based on locales from the film. They often interlock with one another, though sometimes it doesn't quite work. Available with certain figures in the "Saga" line, certain figures in the Original Trilogy Collection, and Collection 2 figures in the Revenge of the Sith line (several of which are now being re-shipped as Greatest Battles or Heroes and Villains figures).
*Star Wars bases - These are rectangular bases that look somewhat futuristic and have a small Star Wars logo on them. They interlock with one another, but the first several batches just didn't work. They come in clear, gray, and black colors. Available with several figures in the "Saga" line, all figures in the Hall of Fame assortment, and several figures in the Original Trilogy Collection.
*Name bases - These are the ones that are currently shipping with figures in the Saga Collection. They are the thinnest bases so far and feature a movie name on their top and the character's name on the front. Hasbro will be selling these next year without the names. They do not interlock with one another.

There are other, third-party companies that also sell various kinds of stands.

I think I read once that the ancient Greeks had some primitive type stands made from marble that they modeled from even older wooden ones which were rumored to come from Sumeria. Those designs migrated through Norway with the Vikings and somehow integrated with Pilrim society in the New World. History gets fuzzy after that, but at some point, Eli Kenner settled in the Ohio Valley and designed a child's doll which revolutionized the hole in the feet concept. Kenner later found the stand design and history was made....

El Chuxter
09-10-2006, 10:23 PM
And somewhere, off in the distance, a lone drum sounded a rimshot. . . .

TheDarthVader
09-10-2006, 11:24 PM
I thought it was the ancient Romans, but I could have been mistaken.

LUKE_SOLO
09-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Ah. That's good news! I'll order some plain ones from ebay, and wait until 2007 for Hasbro, before replacing them.

stillakid
09-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Ah. That's good news! I'll order some plain ones from ebay, and wait until 2007 for Hasbro, before replacing them.

Yeah, they're good for 50,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.