PDA

View Full Version : Report from the UK Toy Fair...

JEDIpartner
01-29-2002, 08:09 AM
TFN( :Pirate: ) posted a news blurb about the UK Toy Fair 2002 and what was displayed. Here is a link to the article...

http://www.theforce.net/collecting/index.html

Nothing that we really haven't read or seen in some capacity, but I thought it would be worth a look if you haven't kept up on what is going on in the collapsing world of AOTC merch-mania. :frus:

Jargo
01-29-2002, 12:23 PM
Interesting that this listing states there is to be a deluxe Boba Fett as well as the abysmal basic version. I've seen various listings for a deluxe jango Fett but never anything for boba before now. And yet this person who reported on the figures seen at the UK toyfair says there is to be a deluxe Fett. Very peculiar. They also wished they'd taken a camera but were obviously diligent enough to take along a pen and paper....

And yes, TFN = :Pirate: I probably shouldn't say that but I'm past caring. Very shonky behaviour. :mad: :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
01-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO- edited
Interesting that this listing states there is to be a deluxe Boba Fett as well as the abysmal basic version...

And yes, TFN = :Pirate: I probably shouldn't say that but I'm past caring. Very shonky behaviour. :mad: :rolleyes:

Very shonky, indeed!!! As for the figure... I have not seen, but have heard about a Boba Fett with a rocket pack that is supposed to be coming out at some point. We've all seen the one with the plastic bin liner poncho thingy, so I don't believe they are one and the same.

Jargo
01-29-2002, 01:56 PM
The deluxe figure of Boba is supposed to come with the backpack, Jango's helmet and twin blasters. How this makes him deluxe is beyond me unless he comes with one of those flipping bases like Dooku and Obi, or comes with a small beast or droid. If all he packs with is a few measly accessories then I think it's a rip off. Especially if the price is going to be so high on these deluxe figures. So far I haven't seen anything even remotely deluxe about any of the figures. Packing mace with a battle droid doesn't make it deluxe, that's what they were giving away as a pack-in with the episode one figures they tried to flog off cheap. What you Americans laughingly call a 'European exclusive' we call a rip off deal we wouldn't touch with a pooey stick. That's why they hung around in comic stores for months on end gathering dust because they couldn't give them away.
So to call a pack-in figure deluxe is just risible. To call a tiny small titchy minute figure like Boba that only packs with four teeny tiny minute titchy acessories deluxe is plain insane and scandalous and the straw that breaks the camels back.
How dare Hasbro treat loyal consumers this way. Not only have they changed the line to resemble McFarlane toys because of the influence over the star wars department by new employees/ex McFarlane employees, they over charge for figures by an extortionate amount, they make the figures out of cheap nasty materials and claim to be making them from better materials which is patently not true, they blurb out some crap spin doctoring crap and expect us to buy this emerging teen market line. Then they rip us off trying to tell us what used to be a plain carded two pack that cost the same as a regular figure is now a deluxe pack and will cost that extra internal organ thank you very much! Dirty disgusting behaviour that makes me sick to my stomach. If there was a regulatory authority I could complain to I would. I think Hasbro have reached the point of no return and it's time they accounted for this disgusting move on the consumers.

How inappropriate that Hasbro should choose a fat potato for their corporate figurehead. They should have chosen a cat. A very smug, fat and very rich cat. As far as I'm concerned Hasbro are dead meat. And rotten dead meat at that.

Beast
01-29-2002, 02:08 PM
Ummm, guys. May wanna re-read that list again. You'll notice that Jango isn't even listed on the list. Obviously they put Boba Fett (who as of right now, only has one AOTC figure) instead of putting Jango Fett. Jango does have a regular and deluxe figure coming out at the same time.

The Basic Boba Fett figure will come with extra accessories, due to his small size. Jango's Helmet, Jango's blasters, Jango's Jetpack and that Black Poncho originally pictured in the Prototype figure shots.

Hope this clears up the confusion. Obviously The Force.net's source made a mistake in his report. Don't Panic everyone, everything is ok.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

INDIANA
01-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Hey...isn't England , like, a pretty big place? And ain't they kind of smart?

NO ONE TOOK ANY F***ING PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

Jargo
01-29-2002, 05:19 PM
January 28, 2002
Report from U.K. Toy Fair
Philip: I've just returned from the UK Toy Fair and there were plenty of spoiler-filled items at the Hasbro stand. On display were the following 3-3/4" figures in their cool new packaging:

Zam Wesell
Padme Amidala (Arena Escape)
Anakin Skywalker (Outland Peasant Disguise)
Jango Fett
Battle Droid
Super Battle Droid
Boba Fett (standard and deluxe)
Tusken Raider w/child
C-3PO (with attachable coverings)
R2-D2
Taua We
Orn Free Ta
Shaak Ti
Mace Windu
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Coruscant Chase)
Count Dooku
Padme
The Reek

Vehicles for the 3-3/4" figures included Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, Slave 1 (with new paint job), Anakin's speeder and Zam Wesell's speeder. The new Star Wars Unleashed series was present, as were a bunch of electronic games and toys

Both Anakin's and Count Dooku's full-size light sabres were there to be played with, along with 12" figures of Anakin, Obi-Wan and Clone Trooper.

Most impressive (unbelievably) was the Episode II Monopoly set! Why? Well, the box, the board and the cards all featured real spoiler material I'd never seen before such as pics of the Jedi Library, Yoda brandishing a light sabre, Clone Troopers in action. Republic Gunships, Dooku's Solar Sail and more.

Wish I'd had a camera!

MattYUK

That's what the report that was ORIGINALLY posted at rebelscum said, before the thunder stealing tf.n got hold of it and claimed it as theirs like they do with everything.

The list clearly states Boba Fett (standard and deluxe). Maybe it is a mistake, but I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to shove out a million and one Boba Fett figures with crapola pack-in accessories and call it a deluxe figure just because it's Fett. Cash cow springs to mind with that particular character.

England isn't that big and cameras you can conceal on your person cost a fortune. small is pricey large is cheap and cheerful. (Golden rule of trading that is :) ) plus with most people gushing about how great the figures are :rolleyes: I don't suppose anyone had the time think about taking pictures. If I'd been there I would have taken the bloody toys let alone take pictures. coulda made a fortune on the black market with those..... :D

JonoFett
01-29-2002, 10:56 PM
I concur with my fellow Brit on this issue: peculiarity certainly surrounds the inclusion of Boba Fett as a basic assortment AND deluxe version. Why? Presumably, the kitted-out Boba with his 'father's' attire (rocket pack, etc) is the post-beheading- Jango Boba. Is Jango's head, I wonder, a likely addition inside the helmet? :D

Beast
01-30-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
That's what the report that was ORIGINALLY posted at rebelscum said, before the thunder stealing tf.n got hold of it and claimed it as theirs like they do with everything.

The list clearly states Boba Fett (standard and deluxe). Maybe it is a mistake, but I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to shove out a million and one Boba Fett figures with crapola pack-in accessories and call it a deluxe figure just because it's Fett. Cash cow springs to mind with that particular character.

Oh, ok. Well, notice that they don't have (standard and deluxe) listed next to Jango Fett. I still think it's a definate case of the reporter making a mistake on the list. I guess we'll know soon, but from all the lists I've seen, Boba Fett only appears once.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
01-30-2002, 01:52 AM
I thought you weren't allowed to take pictures at Toy Fair.

Anyway, TF.N is overrated, and too inflated with worthless crap that no one really cares about. I honestly don't care if the guy who got coffee for the production designer's assitant is now working on some other project. I believe someone once said, "They post news everytime they find the word "star" and the word "wars" in the same article."

Jargo
01-30-2002, 08:49 PM
http://www.thefarce.net/

The biggest laugh I've had in ages. I keep going back to laugh some more. Simple pleasures I know but then I am an old man. can't believe I turn 34 in about a fortnight. how in gods name did I get to be this old?

Anyway, It doesn't really matter what they shove out as a deluxe figure because I won't be buying it. I'll just look at the pegs full of stuff when next year comes round and all these bow legged wonders are sitting dusty on the floor andin the bargain bins and being given away to get rid of them and I will laugh so hard it hurts. I will laugh at hasbro for employing idjits who thought it might work to take the action ability out of action figures and pose them in action instead. I will laugh at the thinking behind a toy company trying to make collectors statues and sell them as toys thereby breaching trading standards regulations in the UK. I will laugh as Hasbro says yet again that they are addressing the distribution issue by sending more figures out - to Moscow and Siberia and Tibet. Anywhere but where they're wanted. I will just laugh all year me. Silly silly silly Hasbro. :crazed:

and getting back to TF.N:Pirate: I spotted that every story on their collecting page was originally a rebelscum story. how pathetic and sad and just plain tacky is that? lol :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :crazed:

http://www.theforce.net/collecting/index.html#14104