PDA

View Full Version : Commercials for the new DVDs

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
What the hell is up with those commercials of the family talking about SW? I thought these were WM commercials; I expect that kind of weird crap coming from them but not directly from Lucasfilm. I mean, it's good to share it with your family and all, but these are just weird.

And someone needs to tell that little girl that you DO NOT freakin' keep Wookiees as pets. :hurt:

General_Grievous
09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
And someone needs to tell that little girl that you DO NOT freakin' keep Wookiees as pets. :hurt:

Yeah, she might get her arms ripped out of their sockets. But it is a really lame commercial. I'll bet The Rick is behind this one.....

2-1B
09-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Whenever I hear that first dude talking, I look up expecting to see James Cameron.

Kidhuman
09-14-2006, 08:32 PM
I hate em&

bobafrett
09-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Plus if they poop, you got to hose down the fur back there, otherwise it gets on your couch when the Wookie sits to watch TV. Bad Wookie!

JediTricks
09-15-2006, 03:54 PM
I thought these were Wal-mart commercials too, they reek of that style, knowing that these are Lucasfilm ads makes me think they dropped the ball here, those WM ads always feel low-rent but it's WM so it makes sense - this is SW though. And my sister pointed out something, that father says he "grew up with Star Wars" but SW is 29 years old and the guy has gray hair and looks to be into his 50s, so unless he "grew up" at the age of 20... :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2006, 06:39 PM
The weird thing is, I actually like the WM commercials more. They're the ones where Vader, Chewie, and a Stormtrooper go to WM and hilarity ensues.

There are other "official" SW commercials that are more dignified and are just clips of the films; I wish they just made more like that.

JEDIpartner
09-17-2006, 02:03 AM

Apparently you didn't realise that the family also still has slaves working for them. :laugh:

And my sister pointed out something, that father says he "grew up with Star Wars" but SW is 29 years old and the guy has gray hair and looks to be into his 50s, so unless he "grew up" at the age of 20... :p

Well... how many fanboys are still living in their parents' basements into their 30s. I can actually name one-- but I won't 'cos he's kinda nice. ;)

JediTricks
09-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Well... how many fanboys are still living in their parents' basements into their 30s. How many 30-something fanboys later move out and get a successful life? :p

JEDIpartner
09-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Only about 1/3.

Luuuuuuke
09-17-2006, 01:32 PM
The commercials are corny as hell, but they don't really bother me. As for dad, assuming he's 50 or so, he only had to be in his early 20s when Star Wars came out. But I wouldn't say he could have "grown" up watching Star Wars. I'm pretty sure that fools bones fused long before that!:D

stillakid
09-17-2006, 04:22 PM
What the hell is up with those commercials of the family talking about SW? I thought these were WM commercials; I expect that kind of weird crap coming from them but not directly from Lucasfilm. I mean, it's good to share it with your family and all, but these are just weird.

If I was in charge of marketing these things (and I'm not :D ), I would think about who was out there right now. They know that the fanboys A) already know that the DVDs are coming and B) will buy them no matter what or C) won't buy them. The point is, the built-in audience won't be influenced by marketing no matter what is said or done. Why waste valuable time and money on that segment?

That leaves the non-fanboy crowd. So you look at what you're trying to sell. There are one or two generations (at this point) who have grown up with Special Edition versions of the classic films. These people (kids) would likely pass over these "old" versions because "why buy these? the newer ones have all the cool effects and stuff!" Okay, so maybe you've lost THAT crowd no matter what. Why try to sell to that segment?

Who does that leave? It leaves the non-fanboy adults who remember enjoying the old films (and were most likely disappointed by the new ones and the Prequels ) who want to "share" them with their kids ("Kids! These are the movies that I remember seeing when I was a kid. Let's sit down tonight to watch them!)

Ergo, the commercials you see. Annoying? Yes, but we're not the target.

El Chuxter
09-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I hate any WM-styled "bunch of stupid people just blabbering" commercial, regardless of who produced it or what it's for. Especially those damned Honey Bunches of Oats with the shot of Slicker's Mom saying, "It's a mouthful of joy!"

pbarnard
09-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Could be the Burger King commercial, :The King, unleashing the Double Whopper.

I don't even want to know how it could be doubled.

stillakid
09-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Could be the Burger King commercial, :The King, unleashing the Double Whopper.

I don't even want to know how it could be doubled.

Multiply by two?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey, I didn't even know these DVDs were coming out until I saw the commercials. :p

Some ponderings...

During the part when Nostalgic Dad is talking about how he loves that his kids are getting into the movies, you see the scene when Luke and Vader are in lightsaber battlin' mode in Cloud City. Made me wonder, if he envisions himself cutting off his son's hand. :eek:

Why aren't the kiddies cheering when Alderaan blows up, like what happened when I first saw the SE of ANH in '97? Aren't all Gen-'Y'ers happy when stuff gets all blowed up?

You really want to get the public interested? Show slave Leia, Oola-la's fall, the Tonnika Sisters, and Yarna! :rolling RRs:

Why don't the all-grown-up parents have their iron-on shirts and '70s era hairstyles, huh? True fans, my buttocks. :rolleyes:

2-1B
09-18-2006, 11:46 PM
The real Wal-Mart ads that are playing are just terrible, the thing with Chewie looking at a Sasquatch centerfold pic was dumb. :dead:

bobafrett
09-19-2006, 12:02 AM
My Wal-Mart has the commercials playing, but they have also been running the DVD's of the movies on the large screen TV's. It's very distracting when passing the electronics department for me to not stop and wath some of the movie.

stillakid
09-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Why don't the all-grown-up parents have their iron-on shirts and '70s era hairstyles, huh? True fans, my buttocks. :rolleyes:

It's similar to suited tie wearing during the week business guys putting on their "costumes" as they jump on their Harley's for the weekend. Can't be a geek all week.

General_Grievous
09-20-2006, 07:40 PM
You really want to get the public interested? Show slave Leia, Oola-la's fall, the Tonnika Sisters, and Yarna! :rolling RRs:

Hey, if it turns you on...:lipsrsealed:

tagmac
09-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I just try to ignore the comercials when they come on. They were nice to see the first time, but now they're quite annoying.