PDA

View Full Version : High-End Collector Packaging for 2007

JediTricks
09-14-2006, 10:00 PM
30th Anniversary packaging for the more "classy" items, for licensees like Attakus, Gentle Giant, Master Replicas and Sideshow.

Star Wars fans recently got to preview some of the new 2007 toy packaging devised by Lucasfilm and Boston-based packaging design firm PILOT to celebrate Star Wars' 30th anniversary across several of its merchandising brands. A handful of licensed items, however, will be receiving a completely different look -- one that is more formal, refined, and classic.

According to Lucas Licensing's Director of Global Product Development Darren Phillipson, select licensees that develop high-end collector product like Attakus, Gentle Giant, Master Replicas and Sideshow will be adopting a new classic-yet-contemporary look for 2007, one that imparts a "museum-quality" feel.

Visit StarWars.com (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20060914.html) for the full article and photos.

JediTricks
09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
I kinda like the window box on this, but I think they're expecting far too much reaction out of the design, it comes off too simple and plain IMO.

Jargo
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm sure those with ridiculously large sums of disposable income will be clicking their heels with glee. More stuff for their museums of unopened items.

I'm still in favour of plain white or natural brown packaging on any item. If it saves money for the consumer. window boxes are weaker than standard boxes. I can live without the windows. I can also live without colour print on packaging. it's the contents I'm buying not the packaging. And in light of conserving natural resources the less packaging the better. Recyclable is preferable.

Considering that most products come packaged in cardboard, I'd hesitate to call printed cardboard high end. to me high end is wooden casings or metal. with glass or perspex not flimsy cellophane or polythene plastic blisters. Mayhaps I'm just old fashioned in thinking that substance over style has merits....

2-1B
09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Cool, that should give them an excuse for another 10% upcharge, then.

Blue2th
09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
So Pilot is the same firm doing the Hasbro 30th 3 3/4 card design also. They went in a totally different direction.

JediTricks
09-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah, that's them. Pilot also did the OTC and ROTS packaging I believe.

Blue2th
09-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, ROTS was a turd. I'd of fired em'. Though we gobbled them up no problemo.

JediTricks
09-17-2006, 03:33 AM
You know, I think ROTS wasn't very good in many ways, but it did its job INITIALLY - it was different and eye-catching... until 2 months later when the shelves were flooded with beat-up cards EVERYWHERE. I think Hasbro should have switched to a different look after the movie came out, kept the line name the same but just moved it to something fresher and more reasonable in the toy aisle - that sea of orange really got stale fast.

Personally, I don't like the work we've been shown from PILOT, their ideas range wildly and while some works, what doesn't work ends up sticking the hardest too often.

JEDIpartner
09-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I'd of fired em'.

I'd HAVE fired them... :o

Anyhow... it's fine. It looks sleek and clean. It's not going to matter much to me anyhow as I'm not likely to be purchasing anything at that price point. People complain too much about packaging. It's meant to be thrown away and they are proving their point by giving us what they do. It's supposed to look great on a shelf and then we're supposed to pitch it. Well... we ARE! :yes:

Blue2th
09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I'd HAVE fired them... :o

Boy howdy, yup, I been watchin' too much blue-collar TV. Mayonaise some good stuff.:laugh: