PDA

View Full Version : Han vs. Greedo: THIS is what everyone's been yelling about?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Last night, I watched the original version of ANH (er, SW, as it were). I've only seen it once before, and it was, I think, in the summer of 2004.

Anyway, in the cantina scene, I was expecting to actually SEE Han shooting Greedo and not have Greedo even get a shot off, due to the fact that everyone's been b*tching about showing Greedo shoot. I didn't remember that it was only a big confusing puff of smoke. The way people have been complaining about it for the past nine years made it seem that it was absolutely, 100% clear that Greedo never shot (or shot slightly after Han) in the originals.

Personally I don't care whether Greedo or Han shot first; I'm just glad that you can actually see the shooting at each other in the new version. Plus, now that the terrible-looking old version is on DVD, people can just watch that one and shut up about it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Terrible looking old version? you serious? So, you prefer the newer, more hip version where Han's body does a random arse jerk (that looks really awful) and Greedo somehow misses Han even though his blaster is a mere a few inches from Han?

Different strokes, I guess. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
09-16-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't care about who shot first either. Actually I watched it and it was nice to see the old cantina aliens, but over all, the sound quality is terrible (when using a fiber optic/digital sound). Picture is grainy, the effects shots, especially the X-Wings look slow and dated.

I ask this...if the Han/Greedo thing wasn't changed, but the rest of them were still there would you care at all? Or would it still upset you?

jjreason
09-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Mr Jabba, the problem is this: when Han shoots first, he's introduced as a cold-blooded person, willing to do whatever it takes to look after himself. That's KEY.... because no one expects he'll come back to help Luke at the end. It should be surprising, and totally out of (what we thought was Han's) character for him to rescue Luke. By giving Han just cause to shoot Greedo (Greedo trying to kill him makes it "okay" for Han to blast him), you're completely changing the way the character is introduced.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Mr Jabba, the problem is this: when Han shoots first, he's introduced as a cold-blooded person, willing to do whatever it takes to look after himself. That's KEY.... because no one expects he'll come back to help Luke at the end. It should be surprising, and totally out of (what we thought was Han's) character for him to rescue Luke. By giving Han just cause to shoot Greedo (Greedo trying to kill him makes it "okay" for Han to blast him), you're completely changing the way the character is introduced.
Yeah, I know that, but what I'm saying here is that we never actually SEE Han shooting Greedo, there's just a big explosion and then Greedo's dead. So there's no way of knowing whether Greedo shot or not.

And as far as the justification goes, well, Greedo did have a gun in his face and was threatening him anyway ("Over my dead body!" "That's the idea!"), so I kind of see it as justified whether or not Greedo shot first.

Terrible looking old version? you serious? So, you prefer the newer, more hip version where Han's body does a random arse jerk (that looks really awful) and Greedo somehow misses Han even though his blaster is a mere a few inches from Han?
I was more referring to the overall film, not just that scene. The cleanup on the 2004 version is just miles ahead of the 1977 one. And I hate Han's jerk in the 1997 one; they re-did it in 2004 and it looks better. Plus, if you take the EU into account in this one, Greedo was young and inexperienced (Han was his first would-be bounty) so it's not that unlikely that he missed.

stillakid
09-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I know that, but what I'm saying here is that we never actually SEE Han shooting Greedo, there's just a big explosion and then Greedo's dead. So there's no way of knowing whether Greedo shot or not.

The implication is quite clear. We see Greedo's gun pointed at Han. Then Han's hand going for his own gun under the table. The dialogue builds to a climax...

"Over my dead body"

BLAM!

No question about it, Han had no intention of having the green guy shoot first. Han Solo was a rogue who had his own concerns as a priority. He wouldn't give 2 sh**s if Greedo had 10 Greedlings at home to feed, Greedo was going down.

But Lucas was very clear that he understood what the original version showed, but in his elder gentler years, the flanneled-one didn't want to have a cold-blooded killer's blood on his hands. Han had turned into a hero and Lucas didn't want kids to think that killing in cold-blood was cool, so he made a character arc change that also fails technically.

Just a big mistake.

bigbarada
09-16-2006, 06:55 PM
It was a ridiculous PC change by Lucas, and as Mr. JabbaJohnL pointed out, you can barely see what is going on; so it was also completely unnecessary.

Even if Han shot first, it wouldn't make him a cold-blooded killer, he had a gun aimed right at him being wielded by an alien who voiced every intention of killing him. Anything Han did at that point would have been considered self-defense in any court of law.

So it was a pathetic attempt at backtracking on Lucas' part and something that never should have been added to the movie.

El Chuxter
09-16-2006, 07:54 PM
What makes it dumb is that in a 2004 interview with Entertainment Weekly, Lucas said he changed the scene (to match what he supposedly always had in mind :rolleyes:) because he said it was impossible to redeem in the eyes of the audience someone who's introduced as a cold-blooded killer.

Um, hello? Did you forget that, taken as a whole, the series is about the redemption of Anakin Skywalker and, like it or not, the first time anyone saw him he was strangling prisoners with his bare hands?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2006, 07:57 PM
The implication is quite clear. We see Greedo's gun pointed at Han. Then Han's hand going for his own gun under the table. The dialogue builds to a climax...

"Over my dead body"

BLAM!

No, it goes:

Han: "Over my dead body!"
Greedo: "That's the idea! I've been looking forward to this for a long time."
Han: "Yes, I'll bet you have."

And then the shot(s) and/or cloudy explosion.

Even if Han shot first, it wouldn't make him a cold-blooded killer, he had a gun aimed right at him being wielded by an alien who voiced every intention of killing him. Anything Han did at that point would have been considered self-defense in any court of law.
Right, so the whole supposed character arc of going from a dirty killer to a nice guy was never really there. As stillakid said himself:

The implication is quite clear.
So it was all implied that Han shot first anyway. It wasn't outright stated, yet everyone came to the conclusion and then started complaining (and still are complaining) about the change are moaning about how Han shot first and there's no two ways about it. But it was a big confusing mess in the old version, and there wasn't any REAL reason to tell who shot first, just implications.

As far as being cold-blooded, I mean, if someone came up to you with a gun and threatened you, what the hell would you do? It's not like Han shot Wuher in the face for overcharging him for a drink; he killed Greedo, a bounty hunter, who had planned on killing him. He didn't give Greedo the peace sign and stick a flower in his gun, he still blasted the crap out of him.

So why does it really matter if Han shot first or not? He was in a life-or-death situation and it was his only option.

Han Solo was a rogue who had his own concerns as a priority.
But that was still shown throughout the film anyway; that point is driven home whether or not Han shot first.

stillakid
09-16-2006, 08:39 PM
No, it goes:

Han: "Over my dead body!"
Greedo: "That's the idea! I've been looking forward to this for a long time."
Han: "Yes, I'll bet you have."

And then the shot(s) and/or cloudy explosion.

Right, so the whole supposed character arc of going from a dirty killer to a nice guy was never really there. As stillakid said himself:

So it was all implied that Han shot first anyway. It wasn't outright stated, yet everyone came to the conclusion and then started complaining (and still are complaining) about the change are moaning about how Han shot first and there's no two ways about it. But it was a big confusing mess in the old version, and there wasn't any REAL reason to tell who shot first, just implications.

As far as being cold-blooded, I mean, if someone came up to you with a gun and threatened you, what the hell would you do? It's not like Han shot Wuher in the face for overcharging him for a drink; he killed Greedo, a bounty hunter, who had planned on killing him. He didn't give Greedo the peace sign and stick a flower in his gun, he still blasted the crap out of him.

So why does it really matter if Han shot first or not? He was in a life-or-death situation and it was his only option.

But that was still shown throughout the film anyway; that point is driven home whether or not Han shot first.

No, it wasn't. It was diluted by the pu**ywhipped version where Han has to be shown to be shooting in self-defense. There's a HUGE difference. I used the word "implied" but the scene is very specific in telling the audience that Han Solo was going to blow Greedo away before the bounty hunter could get a shot off.

Lucas's own "redeux" PROVES that the original had Han shooting first. Two things had to be "fixed" to make it look like Han didn't shoot first. Number one is Greedo's shot. His gun is pointed right at Solo in both versions, but Lucas had to "tweak" the blast so that it flies far right. Not a chance that could have happened. Solo would have had a blast right in his chest judging by the aim of Greedo's gun. So to help "fix" that a little more, Han is "fixed" by being moved slightly to his left by the FX team. Lucas had to fix those elements because it was never filmed in a way that would allow Greedo to shoot first and have Han live.

JimJamBonds
09-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Yes there was smoke but I think the we'd be able to see the "lazer" through the smoke. Although at the moment I can't remember if that is the case or not. :D

Kidhuman
09-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Greedo was packing some C4 when Han shot him, simple explanation&

2-1B
09-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I disagree with both sides of the issue. lol

I disagree with Lucas because I believe Han is not a cold blooded killer, he was perfectly justified in taking down G-bone for waving that gun in his face.

I disagree with the anti-Lucasites in this thread because even in changing it to Greedo shooting first, I don't believe it changes Han's "character arc" because he was perfectly justified in taking down G-bone for waving that gun in his face.

I disagree with myself for even posting in this thread on a topic that's been talked to death with the same people laying out their points of view for the 10th time (myself included). lol

I do like JabbaJohn's energy though, gotta give him credit for that. :)

Speaking of *******, nobody talks about Luke shooting first at the Stormtroopers who drew down on the Death Star. lol

JEDIpartner
09-17-2006, 12:39 AM
This was the only change with which I didn't agree. It really destroys the character development of Han Solo. He was a cynical mercenary who only cared about himself and what he was out for but, in the end, realised that he'd grown to care about others and was willing to put his own life on the line for them. It's a HUGE transition!

2-1B
09-17-2006, 12:44 AM
It's not like they deleted all of his snarky ;) comments and other acts of selfishness. :confused:

JEDIpartner
09-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah... but they seemed to carry less weight... kinda like the 1997 SE ANH Jabba. ;)

2-1B
09-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah... but they seemed to carry less weight... kinda like the 1997 SE ANH Jabba. ;)

He really did "let himself go", didn't he? :D

JEDIpartner
09-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Just a bit... and he was almost an L.A. Weight Loss Clinic success story, too!! LOL

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2006, 12:50 PM
No, it wasn't. It was diluted by the pu**ywhipped version where Han has to be shown to be shooting in self-defense. There's a HUGE difference. I used the word "implied" but the scene is very specific in telling the audience that Han Solo was going to blow Greedo away before the bounty hunter could get a shot off.

As Caesar said, all his other acts of selfishness are still shown in their entirety.

But I'll ask again: what would YOU, or anyone else, do if someone came up to you with a gun in your face? If you shot them, it's still self-defense whether or not they shot at you.

Apparently Lucas doesn't feel that way, though, so he wanted to show them both shooting at each other to soften the blow. If it makes him feel better about his films, then that's fine, but I personally don't think there's a difference; Han was completely in the right either way.

Lucas's own "redeux" PROVES that the original had Han shooting first. Two things had to be "fixed" to make it look like Han didn't shoot first. Number one is Greedo's shot. His gun is pointed right at Solo in both versions, but Lucas had to "tweak" the blast so that it flies far right. Not a chance that could have happened. Solo would have had a blast right in his chest judging by the aim of Greedo's gun. So to help "fix" that a little more, Han is "fixed" by being moved slightly to his left by the FX team. Lucas had to fix those elements because it was never filmed in a way that would allow Greedo to shoot first and have Han live.

No, the reason they had to redo all that stuff was because there was never a shot like that in the original film. We never actually see either of them shoot their blasters in the 77 version; as I said, it's just a puff of smoke and then Greedo explodes and is dead. It was never filmed to show either of them shooting at all; it's all left to the imagination, and everyone's been yelling about what they thought happened in that scene when there's no real way to tell. Go watch that scene in the DVD really quick, it's right there. Er, well, it's not there, but you know what I mean.

I disagree with myself for even posting in this thread on a topic that's been talked to death with the same people laying out their points of view for the 10th time (myself included).

The reason I started this new thread was because I realized that they don't even show Han shooting at all in the old version, but everyone made it out to seem like they did. I just find it odd that everyone's been fighting for ten years about something they thought they saw.

stillakid
09-17-2006, 01:17 PM
The reason I started this new thread was because I realized that they don't even show Han shooting at all in the old version, but everyone made it out to seem like they did. I just find it odd that everyone's been fighting for ten years about something they thought they saw.

You're still missing the point. There's something called "film language" or "leading the audience" or "foreshadowing" which is what was done in the original ANH. The shot sequence combined with the dialogue indicates very clearly that Han pulled the trigger first. I understand that modern young audiences need things rammed down their throats, but subtlety does still exist and is appreciated.

Greedo is just sitting there with his gun drawn the whole time. We SEE Han pull Greedo's attention to his left hand which is playing with the wall so that Greedo doesn't pay attention to Han getting his gun out with his right hand.

Meanwhile, the dialogue is leading up to someone shooting someone. Greedo says something like, "I've been looking forward to this for a long time." Han, with gun drawn secretly under the table, leans forward and says, "Yes, I'll bet you have" and BLAM, Greedo is down. Now, had Greedo actually fired first, Han would have been toast no matter if he had gotten a shot off or not. Han leaned into the table while uttering his line. He didn't move away from the barrel which was pointed right at him.

So if you want to believe that Greedo still did fire and magically missed Han's torso in that confusion of smoke, then go ahead. The Zapruder case might interest you as well. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-17-2006, 01:17 PM
No, the reason they had to redo all that stuff was because there was never a shot like that in the original film. We never actually see either of them shoot their blasters in the 77 version; as I said, it's just a puff of smoke and then Greedo explodes and is dead. It was never filmed to show either of them shooting at all; it's all left to the imagination, and everyone's been yelling about what they thought happened in that scene when there's no real way to tell. Go watch that scene in the DVD really quick, it's right there. Er, well, it's not there, but you know what I mean.

LEFT TO THE IMAGINATION?!?! Are you stoned?!! Do you think Greedo just magically died at that exact some time at which Han was pointing his blaster at him under the table?!! Or perhaps, by some sort of Mercenary Magic, Han used his MIND POWER to cause a malfunction in Greedo's blaster and it backfired, thus making Greedo shoot himself!??!?!? Holy crap, it FINALLY makes sense!! After all these years!! Baby Jesus, YES! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

This is a pretty lame argument, good sir. Han shot Greedo, plain and simple. You're grasping for straws. :D

JEDIpartner
09-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Maybe Greedo had one too many shots of Jawa juice and it hit him at the precise moment he was going to shoot Han and he passed out???

pbarnard
09-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Supposedly the blaster that Greedo was using was prone to misfiring/jamming/etc in the Arms and Equipment Guide.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2006, 12:12 PM
LEFT TO THE IMAGINATION?!?! Are you stoned?!! Do you think Greedo just magically died at that exact some time at which Han was pointing his blaster at him under the table?!! Or perhaps, by some sort of Mercenary Magic, Han used his MIND POWER to cause a malfunction in Greedo's blaster and it backfired, thus making Greedo shoot himself!??!?!? Holy crap, it FINALLY makes sense!! After all these years!! Baby Jesus, YES! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

This is a pretty lame argument, good sir. Han shot Greedo, plain and simple. You're grasping for straws. :D
I agree with this version of the story. :D

LusiferSam
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Beside how crossed eyed, drunk, and/or blasted out of your mind to you have to be to miss a shot at point blank range when you have your gun pointed at somebody's chest? I don't care how fast you can move I should be able to doge a shot like that.

Bacta Beast
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
What??!!!!!! Somebody shot Greedo?!!!!!!!!!!
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!:cry:

stillakid
09-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!:cry:

Hey, that's Vader's line! :upset:

bobafrett
09-18-2006, 10:59 PM
And by far one of the lamest lines in Vaders history, except when he was younger and said "Weeeeeeee" or something like that. But Lucas will change that line to "I'm going to score with Padme someday, I can feel it."

I am one who was upset with Lucas changing that scene. I think Han should have been left, like others have mentioned, to be the only one to get a shot off, as what Lucas did changed the way Han is percieved.

I'm just a rambling, as I just got home from a long day in the salt mines.

JEDIpartner
09-20-2006, 09:43 AM
You are rambling. And the offending utterance was "Yippee!" and not "Wheeeeeee!"

:whip:

:D

stillakid
09-20-2006, 11:11 AM
You are rambling. And the offending utterance was "Yippee!" and not "Wheeeeeee!"

:whip:

:D

I think that "Wheeeeeeeeee!" was the Canadian translation.

JEDIpartner
09-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Well, I guess that's possible... Watto did say "Eh" at the end of his sentences a lot! LOL

Turambar
09-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I think one of the reasons it was so annoying to change the scene is because it wasn't exactly a "cold-blooded" murder. The guy is pointing a gun at him and from the dialogue, has made it clear that he is about to shoot. In the butchered revision, Han just sits there like a school girl and lets him shoot first before pulling the trigger.
His character is changed to one who would rather die (as he definitely should have by letting Greedo fire off a shot from point-blank range) than go through life thinking that maybe they could have worked something out. . . That was totally against Solo's character. In the original version he is smooth-talking and makes up his mind midway through the conversation, pulling his pistol, and finally when he gets bored with the conversation, BANG! Hehe, looks like Greedo was shot by a starship rather than a pistol.
Maybe Lucas changed it because of the intent when he wrote it was for Han to make the kill shot with less need than it is depicted in the movie. Possilbly Lucas hadn't watched the movie in a long time and forgot how it actually went. I think he just wanted to mess around with his FX technology as he did with much of the prequels and such, so made up the reason for this "fix". Anyway, it sucks, and its nice that there is a original version out now.

Bacta Beast
09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Regardless of the psychological aspects of the scene (I can't agree that changing that one scene changes Han's character drastically), the change is completely annoying on the basis that it was executed soooooo poorly! It bumps! It's not smooth at all! It looks like crap!

And why do us fan boys spend so much time dicussing the finer points of the issue?!!

plasticfetish
09-25-2006, 04:54 AM
And why do us fan boys spend so much time discussing the finer points of the issue?!!Well, I'm not sure what else you're supposed to talk about at a Star Wars fan site. ;)

-----

This issue has been talked to death though... but I'll toss my 2 cents out there. It isn't about the specific changes for me, it's that Lucas was fighting the idea of putting out a genuine "archival" edition of the film. It wasn't so much about Han shooting first (or not) for any specific reason. It's that the scene that made history, the one we all saw when the film was first released, should always have been available. (The scene where Han plugs Greedo gunfighter style from under the table.) For Lucas to prattle off excuses about why the original versions couldn't be put to DVD, and to then go ahead and release them anyway, is pretty hard to forgive. I'll admit, this whole thing has put a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm not surprised. I expected them to toss a new version of the OT out eventually. Having them do it just a year after the last version is what really sucks.

...that's what some of us have really been "yelling about" anyway.

CaptainSolo1138
09-25-2006, 06:55 AM
I think that "Wheeeeeeeeee!" was the Canadian translation.
The Canadian translation is "Eeeeeeeeeeh!". Sorry to prove you wrong. :p

Deoxyribonucleic
09-25-2006, 12:19 PM
YELL YELL SCREAM YELL!

I feel better now!

;)

plasticfetish
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Who said the secret word?

jlw
09-26-2006, 05:44 PM
If you have ever seen the Behind the Magic CD of the original cantina scene it is obvious that Greedo has every intention of killing Han. The original lines have Greedo telling Han to get up, or must he finish it here. Han replies that he doesn't think they'd like another killing in the Cantina. Greedo states that he doesn't think they'd even notice. So the original dialogue shows that Greedo had every intention of killing Han, and Han shot in self defense.

The problem comes in where they could not put the Jabba scene in the 1977 version so, they changed Greedo's dialogue to that of Jabba's, and they added to Han's dialogue of "Hey even I get borded sometime." With the Special Edition, it makes it almost seem as if you are watching the same scene twice due to the dialogue.

My suggestion to fix it, would be for Lucas to make a Super-Special Edition with all the cut scenes added and just change Greedo's dialogue & Han's dialogue about "getting borded", then Lucas wouldn't need the whole Greedo shot first bit, because the implications would be there! Then the whole dialogue between Han and Jabba wouldn't seem redundant.

You can see still images from the original (cut) Cantina scenes on my website, click the link below then go to the Cantina Resource Page.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-26-2006, 06:20 PM
For Lucas to prattle off excuses about why the original versions couldn't be put to DVD, and to then go ahead and release them anyway, is pretty hard to forgive.
I believe that George thought that the fans wouldn't react the way they did to the changes. I think that he never really intended to release the originals, but so many people were asking for them that I think he decided he might as well just release them anyway.

plasticfetish
09-26-2006, 07:13 PM
You know, I have a lot of respect for George Lucas. I grew up in Marin, and to be honest, he really was a hero to a lot of kids like me who grew up in the bay area in the '70s/'80s. The guy's brilliantly creative, a super smart business man, and it's truly amazing just what he's managed to do over the years.

But just the same, I have a hard time thinking that this was an, "Oh, what the heck, we'll go ahead and release the original theatrical versions on DVD to make the 'fans' happy." kind of situation.

As a fan of all of these movies (all six of them), I'd like to think that's true, but I don't. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but it seems pretty obvious to me, that even back when the gang at Lucasfilm were saying that decent copies of the original original trilogy didn't exist anymore, that they were full of c***.

I'd bet that they had already started to work on putting this edition together, and knew perfectly well (as many of us had guessed anyway) that they'd be putting this version out also. It's nothing new, and ordinarily I'd let it go, but I really do feel manipulated here... more so that I'm used to I suppose.

But hey... whatever. This is a great version, I'm happy to have finally gotten a chance to own both versions of the films. Heck, why am I complaining? I've had a chance to own a dozen versions of each film. Nothing better than choice, huh?

2-1B
09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
as a fan of all of these movies (all six of them),

don't you mean all nine of them ? lol

plasticfetish
09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Hah! Feels like we're pushing 20 at this point.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-01-2006, 05:38 PM
I too, noticed the big puff of smoke on the Original Version when I watched it, and was thinking something similar to what Mr. JabbaJohnL said. I don't believe that changing it to Greedo shooting first alters Han's character. We still see him drawing his weapon, and the shots are so close together that Han must have already decided to fire. It certainly wasn't enough time to react. Of course, there still is the problem of how Greedo managed to miss. That's a legitimate question. Maybe, as was said earlier, it was a problem with the gun. Maybe it was Greedo's inexperience or nervousness. Maybe Han kicked him under the table. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. He still walks out of there saying "sorry about the mess" as if shooting Greedo was no big deal.

Phantom-like Menace
10-04-2006, 01:44 AM
No question about it, Han had no intention of having the green guy shoot first. Han Solo was a rogue who had his own concerns as a priority. He wouldn't give 2 sh**s if Greedo had 10 Greedlings at home to feed, Greedo was going down.

Absolutely!

I've never in my life had any doubt that Han blew the guy away before Greedo even saw it coming let alone thought to shoot. I'm also not sorry to say I'm among those who found it totally justified. I don't care if that makes me seem like a bad person. In fact, I find it so justified, I don't think the act speaks to Han's rogue character, I think it just meant he had a gun. If you have a gun and can shoot first, that's just what you do in that scenario.

I've mentioned in various discussions that Han is even less justified in shooting Greedo if Greedo can't hit him from three feet away. If Han were such a nice guy, he should have just decked Greedo and walked away laughing at how inept the "bounty hunter" was. As it now stands, he killed someone who was absolutely no threat to him.

Turambar
10-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Wow, didnt know we'd still be beating this dead horse. . .
Han blowing Greedo away was one of my favorite memories of the trilogy. Maybe because it was a great intro to his character, or maybe because it looked like greedo got shot by the deathstar instead of a pistol.
I never thought for a second that Han was the "cold-blooded killer" that Lucas cried about before distorting the scene. A bounty hunter has a pistol pointed 3 feet from his chest. The last bit of dialogue led to the notion that Greedo had every intention of killing him right there. Maybe Lucas felt guilty because he originally planned to show Han as being more ruthless then is actually shown onscreen? I'm led to believe he was just looking for a reason to screw with the originals and saw this as an opportunity to play with his new computers.
Anyway, I thought it was the most ridiculous thing to alter in the movies, and am glad I own a copy of the originals so I can always watch Greedo go up in smoke the way Han intended, hehe.