PDA

View Full Version : Willie Nelson and the Magic Russians. (A Closed Captioning Tale)

JEDIpartner
09-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Sometimes television can be so unintentionally funny. I recall this one time when I was at the gym and FOX News was running a story on Condoleezza Rice *vomits* and her trip abroad. Unfortunately for the people in the control room, they neglected to change the banner from the previous story. So, as Condy was deplaning Air Force One, the banner below read: TERRORIST CAUGHT ON TAPE! It was a good moment for me and I had a hearty laugh.

This morning, at the gym again, the local FOX channel WJW was running the story about Willie Nelson's drug arrest yesterday. You know how sometimes the person typing out the closed-captioning gets something wrong and it turns out funny? Well, apparently, "Authorities found magic Russians on Willie Nelson". You know that my fertile mind conjured a number of silly images that ranged from little Russian gnomes doing acrobatics off of Willie's arms and ponytail to a top-hatted magician and his beautiful assistant perched upon Willie's shoulders whilst performing feats of magic. Oh, in case you didn't know-- the authorities found magic mushrooms on Willie Nelson's tour bus. Not nearly as funny, is it?

El Chuxter
09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
The funniest thing I ever saw in regards to closed captioning, and I swear to God I'm not making this up, as crazy as it sounds:

About nine years ago, the original members of KISS got back together and released a new album. They were hyping it by way of a Mad TV appearance, followed by a 30-minute special (which was supposed to be a concert, but turned out to only have one live song, but that's another story). I was hanging out with about ten other folks in a friend's dorm room, and we all were looking forward to the special.

So, during Mad TV, which is terminally unfunny, the owner of the TV turned the volume way down, and for some reason (I forget why) turned on the closed captioning. After Mad TV, we cranked the volume way up, but for some reason (again, don't remember why) didn't turn off the captioning.

So the band takes the stage, and Paul Stanley starts belting out (I think) "Psycho Circus." And the captions read a little something like this:

Yeah, we're a bunch of pathetic old men, and we should have died twenty years ago. This makeup routine is stupid, and I can't believe you're watching this. You're probably wearing makeup, too. That's really sad. You should get out more, maybe go to a club and hear a decent band play real music.
I'm not sure if it was someone's last day at Fox, or maybe they figured no one would watch a concert using closed captioning, but it was among the funniest things I've ever seen. :mabs:

JEDIpartner
09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Ni-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ice!! Obviously intentional, though.

JimJamBonds
09-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Great stuff the both of you!!!

A :Pirate: for JP and a :Pirate: for Chux.

Kidhuman
09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Thats damn hilarious JP.

At my job this old man called in and got the guy who was sitting next to me. He called in to complain about the closed caption on the USA channel. HE said every time a J.G. Wentworth commercial came on, the closed captioning read "Lincoln will enslave the white man" I couldnt stop laughing at this guy.

2-1B
09-20-2006, 06:52 AM
About nine years ago, the original members of KISS got back together and released a new album.

Not technically true since they used ghost musicians to fill in for much of Ace and Pete's duties on that record. lol

JEDIpartner
09-20-2006, 09:22 AM
At my job this old man called in and got the guy who was sitting next to me. He called in to complain about the closed caption on the USA channel. HE said every time a J.G. Wentworth commercial came on, the closed captioning read "Lincoln will enslave the white man" I couldnt stop laughing at this guy.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Lord Malakite
09-21-2006, 08:11 PM
This morning, at the gym again, the local FOX channel WJW was running the story about Willie Nelson's drug arrest yesterday. You know how sometimes the person typing out the closed-captioning gets something wrong and it turns out funny? Well, apparently, "Authorities found magic Russians on Willie Nelson". You know that my fertile mind conjured a number of silly images that ranged from little Russian gnomes doing acrobatics off of Willie's arms and ponytail to a top-hatted magician and his beautiful assistant perched upon Willie's shoulders whilst performing feats of magic. Oh, in case you didn't know-- the authorities found magic mushrooms on Willie Nelson's tour bus. Not nearly as funny, is it?

Are you sure they were Russian? I could of swore they were Canadian, right Mabs?;)

JEDIpartner
10-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Russian... Canadian... it's all funny accents and cold weather to me! ;)

sith_killer_99
10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, apparently, "Authorities found magic Russians on Willie Nelson". You know that my fertile mind conjured a number of silly images that ranged from little Russian gnomes doing acrobatics off of Willie's arms and ponytail to a top-hatted magician and his beautiful assistant perched upon Willie's shoulders whilst performing feats of magic. Oh, in case you didn't know-- the authorities found magic mushrooms on Willie Nelson's tour bus. Not nearly as funny, is it?

Actually it is, because if he was doing Magic Mushrooms he might actually see "Russian gnomes doing acrobatics" or "top-hatted magician and his beautiful assistant perched upon" his shoulder.

LOL:D

Yeah, I've run into some odd stuff watching CC, I didn't realize so many people watch TV with CC on, I thought I was about the only one. I don't always like wearing my hearing aids at home.:(

El Chuxter
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
It's always funny during a fast-paced interview, when the captions start getting behind, then they suddenly are in shorthand and full of errors, and finally it seems the technician just said screw it and eliminates about two or three minutes worth of speech.

bobafrett
10-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I alays find it amusing when either the CC from the previous show is still at the bottom of the screen through commercials, or the last li8nes of another commercial are at the bottom of the next commercial.

mabudonicus
10-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I think one of 'em was of a Canadian background (likely a log cabin with some pine trees, CLASSIC Canadian background), LM, but I wasn't there in body OR spirit so I couldn't tell

Russian... Canadian... it's all funny accents and cold weather to me!
Hey, aren't you north of me on the map Bro ;)??? and Funny Accents?? Man, I will call you up soon and give you the business in Canadian-speak, tossing around hi-falutin comments like that :beard:&Isobars&

JEDIpartner
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey, aren't you north of me on the map Bro ;)???

I don't believe so. I think we're south of the Murray-Dion line.