PDA

View Full Version : The Official Sportscard Thread

JetsAndHeels
09-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Ok, here it is....hopefully in the right place on our forums as well.
I know there are some other sportscard collectors on this site, so lets discuss the hobby, trades, whatever here.

Kidhuman
09-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Actually the trading cards section would have been ripe for this thread. :D I dont have the power to move it though:( &

JetsAndHeels
09-20-2006, 07:47 PM
My mistake guys...I thought the card section here was for SW movie cards and the CCG.

Ok well lets get it started then.
I picked up some packs of topps total and a retail box of upper deck at wal-mart today. Best rookies out of the total packs were Reggie Bush and Brad Smith (go jets).
Out of the Upper Deck box I got a Leon Washington rookie (holla), a Brodie Croyle star rookie limited, a Willis McGahee jersey card, and a Sinorice Moss rookie jersey card.

Now I am fixing to open one of those retail "fat packs" from Wal Mart of more Upper Deck...here's hopin for some mojo!!

figrin bran
09-21-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm always looking for any Marcedes Lewis/Drew Bennett/Maurice Drew/Tab Perry/Deshaun Foster cards that i don't have. and if you have any Aikman autos for trade, i'll take those as well.

JetsAndHeels
09-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm always looking for any Marcedes Lewis/Drew Bennett/Maurice Drew/Tab Perry/Deshaun Foster cards that i don't have. and if you have any Aikman autos for trade, i'll take those as well.

We need to go ahead and get that trade worked out in the next week or two if we can.

figrin bran
09-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Heels, unfortunately i don't have a current beckett so hopefully you do and can determine the card values for our deal

JetsAndHeels
09-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Heels, unfortunately i don't have a current beckett so hopefully you do and can determine the card values for our deal

I have the online guide and I just bought a Tuff Stuff yesterday so that will not be a problem.

figrin bran
09-23-2006, 12:37 AM
i also collect basketball if anyone out there does as well.

figrin bran
09-30-2006, 01:40 AM
if anyone collects baseball, i'm looking for Troy Glaus, Chase Utley, Garrett Atkins.

Rogue II
09-30-2006, 10:21 AM
if anyone collects baseball, i'm looking for Troy Glaus, Chase Utley, Garrett Atkins.

Any card in particular? I have a 2001 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Troy Glaus Jersey card. I'm sure I have a bunch of other Glaus cards. I'm not too sure about Chase Utley and Garrett Atkins because I've been backing off baseball.

Luuuuuuke
10-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I used to have quite a few sports cards, but I sold most of them because I was broke and I needed to finance dates with the next door neighbor. What can I say, it was an idiot teenage moment.

figrin bran
10-08-2006, 02:37 AM
What were you thinking Luuuuuke??? going out with the next door neighbor? if you're out late, you have your parents and her parents waiting at the front porch ;)

anyhow to get back on topic, i got some assorted football and basketball packs today. the best thing i got out of them was an AJ Hawk auto. i have no idea who he is but i also pulled a Dontrelle Moore auto and since he's on the Jets, maybe Mr. Jets&Heels would be interested in this card?

Luuuuuuke
10-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I used to have the John Elway rookie card, but for all I know, that's one of the cards I sold on the cheap. And I also had a Dan Marino. I had a couple of Barry Bonds rookie cards, though not the Fleer one I don't think. And of course, I had rookie Greg Jeffries cards, when everyone thought that Met was going to be the next big thing.

JetsAndHeels
10-09-2006, 12:12 AM
FB, yeah I would be interested in the Moore auto. I don't think he is on the squad now, but I will take it anyway if its available.

figrin bran
10-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Heels, no problem i'll hold that card for ya.

i got some retail packs of topps chrome at target today and made out much better than the 2 hobby boxes i broke a few weeks ago. i got a maurice drew refractor (!!!), maroney base, jay cutler refractor

figrin bran
10-14-2006, 02:19 AM
i don't suppose anyone would be interested in a damaged Bernard Berrian rookie year auto? i dug it up out of a storage box the other day and much to my horror, there's a part of the cardback that's ripped. i'm pretty sure when i pulled the card that i put it straight from the pack to a holder and so i guess it was factory damaged.

it seems like i'm not the only one collecting maurice jones-drew now since i've lost out on quite a few auctions for his autos.

Rogue II
10-16-2006, 03:40 PM
This weekend, I was going through some of the card manufacturer's websites. What happened to the industry? Upper Deck now owns Fleer and Donruss is gone? Is it pretty much down to Topps, Upper deck, and a few smaller sport specific companies?

figrin bran
10-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Rogue, Donruss still exists. If you ask me, there's just too many products out there...each company makes a few low end products, a few "premium" products and then a few super premium products. it makes complete-ism, whether you're going for complete sets or all the cards of a particular player, just about impossible.

Game used memorabilia cards used to be great things to pull but since they're in just about every product line, there are so many of them out there that they're not worth all that much.

vader68
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I agree FB. There is so much out there I can't keep track of it. Special editions, limited editions,gold, black, silver,etc. I can't even find cards in the price guides, because it is just so confusing. That's why I have held back on collecting like I used too, it just got too much. Just like with SW figures.

figrin bran
10-18-2006, 02:18 AM
there really is too much out there and even with autographs, sometimes you have blue ink, red ink, black ink, "numbered out of 50" variants. just like with SW figures, i guess the key is to narrow down what you really want to collect.

Rogue II
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I just won an auction for a lot of old 1970s Sabres hockey cards. I got a lot of hair and side burns for my money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290042398279&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

figrin bran
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Jets&Heels, i have these cards if you need 'em - Anthony Schlegel bowman chrome, Brad Smith finest.

Rogue II
11-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I like the Bowman football so far. I've bough about 6 packs, and I have most of the Bills' Rookies.

JetsAndHeels
11-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Jets&Heels, i have these cards if you need 'em - Anthony Schlegel bowman chrome, Brad Smith finest.

I will take the Brad Smith.

figrin bran
11-20-2006, 01:21 AM
okay, J&H, i'll reserve that Brad Smith card for you.

i like getting bowman football as well...within just a few packs, i already got all the rookies i wanted - maurice drew, marcedes lewis, drew olson, spencer havner.

Rogue, do your local Targets have these pegwarming diecast Saints and Cardinals cars with a rookie card included?

Rogue II
11-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Nope. I haven't seen any card/card combos here. Last time I checked, Walmart still has plenty of those team sets of the Cards & Saints.

figrin bran
11-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Mr. Jets&Heels, i pulled a Kellen Clemens Bowman rookie rewind jersey for you today.

with all the Jet auto/GU pulls i get, i oughta start collecting them! ;)

JetsAndHeels
11-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Mr. Jets&Heels, i pulled a Kellen Clemens Bowman rookie rewind jersey for you today.

with all the Jet auto/GU pulls i get, i oughta start collecting them! ;)

I guess you could start collecting them. Of course once its official you don't pull them as often. :)

Let's get our trade worked out sometime before Christmas. I keep seeing this Drew Olson auto and I want it out of here. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
12-01-2006, 10:53 PM
i got my 2nd Maurice Jones-Drew auto in the mail today and should be getting my 3rd Marcedes Lewis auto in the mail in the next few days.

before the season started, i would never have guessed that bidding would be so fierce on mr. jones-drew's cards!

Rogue II
12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
I got a few packs of Topps Heritage football. Other than Lendale White, nothing that great. Of all the cards I got, all of them had a red box on the back, except for two that have black. Any idea what is up with those two?

figrin bran
12-09-2006, 08:25 PM
i got a blaster box of Turkey Red football today...got a $aint Reggie rc and a jersey of Brady Quinn's bro in law. of course, i never pull the players i actually want to collect. and from a blaster box of Bowman Basketball, i got a card that J&H is just dying to own, i just know it. an official NBA jersey card of drum roll please...JJ Redick!!!!

Rogue II
12-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I bought a couple more packs of Topps Heritage. I got a Reggie Bush and a D'Brickashaw Ferguson(Let me know if you need this one, J&H).

I figured out why some of them have black backs. It is a lame parallel set.

JetsAndHeels
12-09-2006, 09:31 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson(Let me know if you need this one, J&H).

Yes please.

I finally got my redemption card from Bowman for my 2005 bowmans best cedric houston auto. Yay!!

figrin bran
01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Mr. Heels, i got 2 more Jets RC's for you - Leon Washington and Brad Smith from an Upper Deck Rookie Exclusives fat pack. they're the same as the regular UD cards but stamped with "rookie exclusive" on them.

JetsAndHeels
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Mr. Heels, i got 2 more Jets RC's for you - Leon Washington and Brad Smith from an Upper Deck Rookie Exclusives fat pack. they're the same as the regular UD cards but stamped with "rookie exclusive" on them.

Cool....those can go in what I like to call my "big freakin' book of jets cards."

figrin bran
01-21-2007, 08:32 PM
of all the jersey cards to pull from a bowman basketball blaster box, i got ron artest. previously i've pulled JJ Redick and Mike Bibby. (hated him since his U of A days)

at least i got a Farmar rookie as well as a gold refractor auto Ryan Hollins.

figrin bran
02-04-2007, 09:11 PM
J&H, i got a Bowman Chrome D. Ferguson RC if you need it.

i've been seeing way too many pack searchers at target lately...have they no shame at all?

timmae
02-07-2007, 01:17 AM
J&H, i got a Bowman Chrome D. Ferguson RC if you need it.

i've been seeing way too many pack searchers at target lately...have they no shame at all?

i used to see them all the time. i guess i have not been going as much lately. the workers have to think they are opening them or doing something more. 40-60 year olds fondling packs. i have not collected cards for a long while, but remember seeing/feeling them fanned vertically.

DarthQuack
04-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Thought it'd be nice to revive this thread a little since I'm getting the itch to collect a little bit....found a couple nice spots near me, one guy has a mail order business that he opens up on Saturday's for open door business, has lots of boxes of all sports, picked up a couple old factory sets, 1990 and 1991 Upper Deck baseball. At another place where a guy just bought out a dealer, picked up 3 Donruss factory sets, 1988, 1991, and 1992. I like collecting around this area because it's not too expensive and it's primarily when I collected.

Devil King
04-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Are Cal Ripken Jr Cards worth anything, anymore? I've got a bunch of Alex Rodriguiez and Derek Jeter cards as well as some Michael Jordans. Oh, and some of those Mickey Mantle chase cards from the time around his death. I wasn't really into sports cards, but my uncle owned a card shop and I picked up a few along the way.

JetsAndHeels
04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
I saw some boxes of SAGE 2008 football at Wal-Mart today. At first I thought it was from last year but it had a pic of a Matt Ryan auto card on it.

Normally I would buy this, but I want to wait until tomorrow to see who the Jets draft, then I will focus on buying those specific cards.

Oh, and Devil King: Most of the Ripken cards that are worth anything significant are his rookies, autographs, or jersey cards.

JetsAndHeels
04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Just scored this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160232304098&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006) off of ebay.

Bidding on 2 other players' autos right now.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Bump!!

I have yet to buy a single football card for this current year.

It makes no sense, as this is the year the Jets got their qb of the future, Mark Sanchez.

So, you guys still into sports cards? :)

figrin bran
06-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Not as much as I used to be.

I'm only doing UCLA Bruin alumni (actually, it's regardless of whether they graduated or not ;) ) now and with an emphasis on autos. However, Russell Westbrook is quite expensive and Chase Utley is super expensive. Fortunately, I got Trevor Ariza's during his rookie year when the cards were super cheap.

DarthQuack
06-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Haven't bought any cards in a few years...but when I did last it was to get some old sets I had as a kid that got ruined in a basement. I would eventually like to get a Topps baseball set for ever year I've graced this planet.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, I do OWN many cards, but I think the early 90s was the last time I remotely "collected" sports cards. If I find some Steelers, Pirates, Penguins, or Ohio St. or Pitt. rookies, I'll keep 'em.

JetsAndHeels
08-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I got my first new cards of 2009 today. I'm only 4 months behind my normal schedule!!

One of my best friends sent me a bubble envelope and inside were a bunch of new Jets cards. Included were 2 Mark Sanchez rookies, a Shawne Greene rookie, and a Kellen Clemens jersey card. There were also about 50 base cards in there as well.

Has anyone else gotten any new cards lately?

DarthQuack
03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm heading to a local mall tomorrow for a sports card show. I'm pretty excited about it....I haven't been to one in years.....just gotta grab a Beckett and maybe $60 and be on my way! :thumbsup: