PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts?

Rocketboy
09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Anyone listen to any podcasts?
What kinds?

I looked on Yahoo's podcast page and I really couldn't find much that caught my attention right off the bat, so I decided to ask for some suggestions for, well, pretty much any type of podcast or podcast website.

pbarnard
09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm subscribed to the daily ESPN Mike and Mike best of. Real Time with Bill Maher. News Hour with Jim Leher, Meet the Press, McLauglin Group. It's the way I stay informed/entertained when in the lab monday and tuesday and switch over to streaming radio later in the week.

All are available for FREE on iTunes.

El Chuxter
09-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Call me stupid, but what is a podcast? I hear about them all the time, but usually don't want to admit my ignorance.

Kidhuman
09-21-2006, 07:22 AM
BAsically its shows or segments you can DL and listen to on your ipod.&

El Chuxter
09-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Ah, so totally useless for those of us who don't have iPods. :)

Kidhuman
09-21-2006, 10:27 AM
pretty much, I dont know if you can play them if you DL Itunes though&

Rocketboy
09-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Ah, so totally useless for those of us who don't have iPods. :)Not necessarily. You can listen to some on any mp3 player or your computer.

JediTricks
09-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Windows Media Player won't play them on my system, but Quicktime does. It's the only way I can see the Sideshow podcasts (they have tiny images of new stuff as well as the talking part). Personally, I think they're lame - I've been asked by a few people to do podcasts, I have a good voice for such things I guess, but so far I'm not really into it, it's slower than reading and not as interactive as forums - I guess they make more sense if you're always on the go and don't want to read stuff in your PDA or something, but I don't care for it.

El Chuxter
09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Call me nuts, but I'd be more than happy if all Shockwave, RSS, and image-intensive navigation systems were totally done away with. Except for the Shockwave who wants to kill Megatron. That Shockwave is kewl.

Rogue II
09-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for asking, Chux. I was afraid to ask too.

JT, are you saying that your voice doesn't sound like the Professor from Futurama? That's how I read your posts. Just add "good news everyone" at the beginning. Don't worry, you not the only one I created a voice for; I read all of Mr. Daddypants' posts with a British accent (I don't know why, but usually with Michael Palin's voice).

Rocketboy
09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
JT, are you saying that your voice doesn't sound like the Professor from Futurama? That's how I read your posts. Just add "good news everyone" at the beginning.Cappy once said the same thing to me and now I do it every time!

Kidhuman
09-22-2006, 01:03 AM
I believe we all do that.&

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Call me nuts, but I'd be more than happy if all Shockwave, RSS, and image-intensive navigation systems were totally done away with. Except for the Shockwave who wants to kill Megatron. That Shockwave is kewl.You are nuts :D Shockwave Flash and RSS are both LOWER in filesize than traditional GIFs and JPGs and Javascript applications.

JT, are you saying that your voice doesn't sound like the Professor from Futurama? That's how I read your posts. Just add "good news everyone" at the beginning. Don't worry, you not the only one I created a voice for; I read all of Mr. Daddypants' posts with a British accent (I don't know why, but usually with Michael Palin's voice).I'm afraid not, my voice is actually nothing like Farnsworth's. I appreciate the voice-casting though. :D

Rocketboy
02-23-2007, 12:10 AM
The Vadercast thread reminded me of this thread.

I've since discovered a few good podcasts.

The Forcecast (http://theforce.net/) (by TFN and RS) - A recap all the Star Wars related news from the past week with interviews and more. They typically run at about an hour and a half or so. Additional "microcasts" usually featuring an extended interview or an EU spotlight are becoming more frequent.

Comic News Insider (http://www.comicnewsinsider.com/) - Comic reviews, comic and tv and Sci-fi news, industry interviews, and more.

SModcast (http://quickstopentertainment.com/smodcast/) - Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier. Basically Kevin and Scott talking for 45 minutes and really funny. If you've seen any of the Evening With Kevin Smith DVDs, then you have an idea of what to expect. It's great hearing one odd topic evolve into another topic to another and another.

pbarnard
05-21-2007, 03:24 PM
I've pretty much dropped my older stuff and only now do Real Time with Bill Maher and Washington Post's Tony Kornheiser Show.

General_Grievous
05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I used to subscribe to the official "Lost" podcast but then deemed it pointless since they pretty much cover the same stuff as we do in the SSG "Lost" thread.