PDA

View Full Version : Lucas donates $175 Million to USC film school

decadentdave
09-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Don't let it ever be said that rich man Lucas never gave anything back BUT could this be the whole point of releasing the OT DVD's so he could channel profits from sales into a tax-free charitable donation? Hmmm...

JimJamBonds
09-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I doubt this edition has pulled in $175 mil. only one week into its release. lol

decadentdave
09-21-2006, 12:05 AM
And what about sales of Lego Star Wars II? Lucasfilm is really giving a big push this quarter.

pbarnard
09-21-2006, 12:59 AM
I doubt this edition has pulled in $175 mil. only one week into its release. lol

Except it came from the LucasFilm Foundation. So it was money already in the bank.

decadentdave
09-21-2006, 01:40 AM
The DVD and game were released on Sept. 12, and one week later Lucas makes a donation. The funds from retail and vendor pre-sells were purchased in advance of the release date and were probably already deposited into the corporate account which is a pretty big pot anyway. My point is, it's hardly a sweat off Lucas' back. Whenever he needs more cash for something say... the Letterman Arts complex... he just pushes even more merchandising to get it.

2-1B
09-21-2006, 06:58 AM
So what exactly is being discussed here, then? :confused:

JimJamBonds
09-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Except it came from the LucasFilm Foundation. So it was money already in the bank.

Exactly my point!

Jargo
09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Anyone with that amount of cash to donate has to have some pretty heavy tax bills to pay. I'd go with the tax free charitable donation theory. It just happens that there was a notable film school handy to donate it to. and whether it's personal cash or cash from a foundation you set up. it makes no odds. same story coloured differently.

I should just point out that i have no beef here just saying that it's a common practise and makes sense. Rather than being a sudden grand gesture of largesse.

JimJamBonds
09-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Anyone with that amount of cash to donate has to have some pretty heavy tax bills to pay. I'd go with the tax free charitable donation theory. It just happens that there was a notable film school handy to donate it to. and whether it's personal cash or cash from a foundation you set up. it makes no odds. same story coloured differently.

I can believe that one Mr. Daddy. However the "lets release the OT to finance a gift to the USC film school" angle I don't.

JetsAndHeels
09-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Hmm...wonder if Reggie Bush has accepted any of these gifts also. :D

JediTricks
09-21-2006, 06:16 PM
This isn't the first donation Lucas has made to USC film school.

Then again, $175 mil is nothing compared to what Richard Branson just donated: $3 billion to fight global warming, including all future profits from Virgin Airlines - http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/09/21/branson.global.warming.ap/index.html

Take that Lucas! :p

2-1B
09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
At least Lucas' donation will actually get something done.

El Chuxter
09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
It's funny to watch these ridiculously rich people fight over who can donate the most.

Like a certain Mr Gates. Will any amount of charity make up for the unspeakable evil he has wrought over the last two decades?

figrin bran
09-21-2006, 10:47 PM
i believe the correct spelling of that university should be U$C ;)

JimJamBonds
09-22-2006, 09:46 AM
This isn't the first donation Lucas has made to USC film school.

Then again, $175 mil is nothing compared to what Richard Branson just donated: $3 billion to fight global warming, including all future profits from Virgin Airlines - http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/09/21/branson.global.warming.ap/index.html

Take that Lucas! :p

Warren Buffet donation (approx 30 billion) beats the pants off of Branson and what he is giving...

Take that Branson! :p

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 04:24 PM
At least Lucas' donation will actually get something done.Yeah, it'll give a whole new generation of kids the chance to sit around watching movies all day and getting class credits for it in a high-tech environment at the University of Spoiled Children's new George Walton Lucas jr building for THX-certification.

decadentdave
09-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Not to mention paying tens of thousands of dollars in tuition for a degree that's not even worth the paper it's printed on in the industry.

2-1B
09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Buffet donation

Ponderosa ? :confused:

Yeah, it'll give a whole new generation of kids the chance to sit around watching movies all day and getting class credits for it in a high-tech environment at the University of Spoiled Children's new George Walton Lucas jr building for THX-certification.

Agreed, and isn't that better than sitting around watching movies in an environment that isn't going to be improved upon by all that money Branson is spending ? lol

JimJamBonds
09-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Yeah, it'll give a whole new generation of kids the chance to sit around watching movies all day and getting class credits for it in a high-tech environment at the University of Spoiled Children's new George Walton Lucas jr building for THX-certification.

I took a German Cinema course at the University of Wisconsin Non Spoiled Children at Green Bay. I didn't sit around all day watching movies just Tuesday's and Thursday's from 3:30 - 4:45.

Originally Posted by JimJamBonds http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=501776#post501776)
Buffet donation

Ponderosa ? :confused:

Warren.

JediTricks
09-24-2006, 03:05 AM
German cinema? Why not just major in knitting and waste your tuition money faster? :p

JimJamBonds
09-25-2006, 12:03 AM
German cinema? Why not just major in knitting and waste your tuition money faster? :p

Don't worry Sir I did an great job of waisting the $$, and yes I took a German cinema CLASS not a MAJOR.

figrin bran
09-25-2006, 02:23 AM
at least knitting gives you an employable skill.

especially if you're willing to relocate to less developed nations ;)

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Don't worry Sir I did an great job of waisting the $$, and yes I took a German cinema CLASS not a MAJOR.
Yeah, I got that it wasn't your major, but a knitting class would be no faster waste of your tuition, so I took it to the next level. :p

at least knitting gives you an employable skill.Just like in Demolition Man. :D But you wouldn't need to MAJOR in knitting to be a professional knitter.

2-1B
09-25-2006, 11:42 PM
I majored in Underwater Basket Weaving.