PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Q&A for the week of September 22nd

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 04:57 PM
This article can barely contain Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for September 22nd, 2006.

Thanks to everybody for their patience, we are still endevoring to get the missing questions found and answered; and thanks again to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who actually voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers, and remember to check out ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162) for their weekly Hasbro Q&A as well (which also got an update today).

Hasbro Q&A for the week of September 22nd

Q: What does Hasbro think the current number of "collectors" versus "casual buyers" (kids, and parents who buy for them) are in Hasbro's Star Wars line?

A: We don't release numbers for our kid or collector bases, but the number of kids actively engaged in Star Wars right now is VERY high. Our challenge is to plan for some of this audience to diminish over time, but we still need to keep a solid mix of heroes and collector-targeted figures to keep kids engaged. We also acknowledge that some kids will behave like collectors and buy very deeply (if not completely) into the line, but for the most part the "kids" we're talking about are the ones who will get a few vehicles and ten or so main figures over the course of the year to continue their involvement in Star Wars. There are a large number of these kids and we keep them in mind when we design waves and greatest hits.

- -

Q: Star Wars collecting has always had heavy interest in its vehicles, the figures are 3.75" tall because that size would best allow action figures to interact with toy versions of the vehicles (a Millennium Falcon for 6" figures would be the size of a sofa, way too big). Lewis Galoob Toys made its mark on Star Wars with 2 major lines: Micro Machines and Action Fleet, both were vehicles supplimented by little mini-figures, and in their heyday Galoob was the 3rd-largest toymaker behind Hasbro but ahead of LEGO (all Star Wars licensees, perhaps not a coincidence?). In late 1998, Hasbro bought Galoob and within a couple years cancelled all the Micro Machines Star Wars lines (Micro Machines, Die-Cast, and Action Fleet), effectively ending consumers' access to Star Wars vehicle toys - many of which could never have been done in the 3.75" line. Hasbro has made several attempts to rejuvenate these Micro Machines concepts, often with sub-par results, but so far the only attempt that has not failed is the Titanium Series 3" vehicle line (which admittedly deserves many accolades, and its future appears to be getting even brighter); Micro Machines vehicles have not been re-attempted at all, while several Action Fleet relaunch attempts have lacked vehicle features and mini-figures resulting in slow sales - both the Saga Action Fleet and Titanium Series 6" Ultra Vehicles started slow with weak entries and higher prices only to pick up steam and fans right as the lines were cancelled. Star Wars collecting again lacks access to those sizes of vehicles, with that in mind, why did Hasbro buy Galoob toys if that company's main line did not meet Hasbro's sales expectations and its core lines were cast aside?

A: At the time of the purchase, the micro vehicle category was certainly very robust (I recall the days when it occupied almost an entire WALL in the Toys 'R Us planogram!) and was a very popular kid play pattern. However, the micro scale crashed and crashed hard, leaving the collector following as kids moved on to other things. Aside from the robust Titanium line, the the micro efforts you mention have been relegated to the occasional exclusive which never really gives the segment the ability to gain traction and build into something bigger. With the focus on Titanium for the vehicle extension, and with 3-3/4", Galactic Heroes, and Unleashed 2" for the figure expression of the brand, it's unlikely that we are going to try and fit in micro even though we know there is a following for it. So I'm afraid there isn't better news on the micro front.... right now, there just isn't the opportunity nor strategic focus to purse for Star Wars.

- -

Q: Will Hasbro consider making more "clean" army builders such as the ARC trooper, Sandtrooper, Republic Commando, Clone Commander, Galactic Marine, Airborne Trooper, etc., in an army building white color scheme, e.g. no color markings or non-removable pauldrons?

A: That is a good comment. Right now, we do not have plans to go back to those figures in the near future, but if we do those are good suggestions for making them different and desireable as troop builders.

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh, and I forgot to do this on the 19th, but here are the questions which were answered on ActionFigs.com:

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162

Sept 19th:
- After hearing news on both super articulated versions of Mace Windu and Qui-Gon Jinn, what are the chances of seeing a super articulated version of Luke Skywalker in his Death Star II costume? We now know this Luke was among the top 25 in the Fan Choice poll results but not the winner, yet this iconic version of Luke from the last half of ROTJ has long deserved a high-quality figure, and it'd even have several additional applications (such as a removable vest, and removable Endor helmet & poncho), so when can fans expect to see this?

- Will Hasbro ever produce a figure of the "Imperial Trooper in space" at the Death Star trench's guns watching as the Millennium Falcon is being tractored into the Death Star? This is different from the Expanded Universe Spacetrooper.

- Why does Hasbro think the Titanium Series 6" Ultra Vehicle line failed? Was it the pricepoint, the early offerings, general fan disinterest, etc.?

Sept 22nd:
- When will Hasbro make a new sculpt of the Dewback? There's no reason why it couldn't be done to scale with the 3.75" figures and be the ultimate version.

- You recently talked about the extra expense of hinged knees in action figures due to having to use nylon pins riveted through the parts. Why can't you just use a rivetless design and snap them into place the way you do with some of the Transformers line's hinges? If it's a choke-concern, most of the figures come with choke-hazard warnings anyway.

- With Hasbro concentrating on mid-sized vehicles, will we ever see an AT-ST with more accurate details, ie: opening eye windows?

Kidhuman
09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, some thought out in depth answers.&

JediTricks
09-24-2006, 01:35 AM
That's what I thought, I didn't love their answers on some of them but they really put it out there this time. I'm kinda surprised there's been no discussion on these so far.

dindae
09-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Most of the answers didn't really surprise me. On the round up I found the answer Yakface got was possibly more illuminating then the answer we got on the actionfigs question about DS Luke.

Yakface.com: Well, Hasbro, you have confirmed that there will be a new Qui-Gon next year. You've also confirmed that there will be a new Mace Windu, as well. Now can you tell us if a brand new Luke Skywalker (in his Death Star 2 outfit) is coming next year?

Hasbro: You have asked the right question, but you'll have to Wait until closer to a specific wave before we can reveal more 2007 figures. Does that help?

The fact that they say "a specific wave" and then follow up with "Does this help" makes me feel like he is planned.

Slicker
09-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah, that's quite a "definite" answer from them considering others they're given...

...now where's DSIILUKE when you need him.:whip:&

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2006, 01:03 PM
...now where's DSIILUKE when you need him.&

Crapping his pants over the TSC Endor Luke, of course.

It's cool to hear that they're going to release another AT-ST in the future, though. I nominate one with a smashed-in head. :D