PDA

View Full Version : Bothan in 2007 says Hasbro!

Battle Droid
09-22-2006, 04:46 PM
From, http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=5183.180

3) Bothans are widely talked about in the Star Wars universe, yet we have never seen a definitive image of one, nor have we ever gotten a figure of one. Can we ever hope to see some Bothans?

Yes, yes indeed. If the schedule holds, you will see one at the very end of 2007.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Cool, I can use them in scenes where many of them die to bring the rebels some information. :cool:

Kidhuman
09-22-2006, 05:07 PM
They can also capture five rebels. &

Jargo
09-22-2006, 05:08 PM
yeah but it'd be an EU Bothan. I want to know what LFL would have made a Bothan look like. The way it played out in the movie I always just assumed Both or Botha was a planet and they were human spies seeing as they'd have to infiltrate an Imperial stronghold. So they'd need to be in uniform and the Imperials don't have alien personnel. Not at the level where they'd be able to gain access to classified data anyway. The death star plans would have been under strict need to know and even if the Emperor wanted the plans leaked to fool the rebels, there's still no way they'd have been freely available as that would have been too easy and would have rung alarm bells in the mind of any spy.

Unless Bothans are really really reeeeeeeeeeally stoopid.

I mean the EU Bothan doesn't look so bad, interesting enough design concept but... To me at least any Bothan based on EU drawings aint a real Bothan.

Darth Jax
09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
i imagined bothans to look like human sized ewoks or wookiees based on their EU descriptions. the SW databank entry for them makes them look like a non-blue Beast.

would be hard to imagine many of them being able to prowl an imperial establishment without being recognized as intruders.

Phantom-like Menace
09-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I figured within two seconds of reading the title this thread would be largely about how the Bothan design is EU.

Infilitrating enemy facilities is such a small percentage of espionage that it would literally be the second to last way one would expect to gather intelligence, the last being phoned up by the enemy leadership and told their confidential plans in detail. You can look no farther than Midway which is largely considered the greatest intelligence coup ever, and it was no more glamorous than, "Midway is out of water" broadcast in a simple update comunication.

Otherwise, EU sources didn't involve any Bothan walking around in Imperial facilties. If I recall correctly (and I may be wrong on some details), they learned a freighter was transporting a computer that carried a copy of the plans (though obviously they didn't "learn it" so much as were allowed to discover it). In the course of taking the freighter, some Bothans were killed.

figrin bran
09-22-2006, 11:45 PM
they have bothans in battlefront 2. i'm too lazy to find a photo link right now

mabudonicus
09-23-2006, 07:16 AM
They can also capture five rebels. &
LMFAO my goodness, too bad that joke is so obscure, cos that post is TOTALLY HILARIOUS with the backstory :beard: &

2-1B
09-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Cool, then maybe they can do the bounty hunter from Ord Mantell or that ice cream maker guy. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
09-23-2006, 10:29 AM
And still no Ewoks or Yarna or Tey Hwo? Nice to see they've got the priorities straight up in Rhode Island. I think they got into some organic spinach and unpasteurized milk recently. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
09-23-2006, 11:17 AM
And still no Ewoks or Yarna or Tey Hwo? Nice to see they've got the priorities straight up in Rhode Island. I think they got into some organic spinach and unpasteurized milk recently. :rolleyes:

I suppose you havent seen this thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32831) yet?&

El Chuxter
09-23-2006, 11:54 AM
IWe can't specifcally comment on any upcoming Ewoks, but we have
gone on record as saying there are Ewoks planned for next year. The new ones will be correctly scaled as Chirpa was.

First, we need about forty Ewoks to make up for the lack of Ewoks so far.

Second, I have a bad feeling that the second part of that answer means "Wicket & Logray Resculpts."

2-1B
09-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Wait'll they start resculpting Bothans.

kool-aid killer
09-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I wouldnt mind a bothan, though i wonder what the bothan will look like. A politician bothan (that probably wouldnt sell well) a bothan spy, or a bothan rebel soldier. Either way, im excited that we will finally be getting a bothan.

El Chuxter
09-23-2006, 01:19 PM
My money is on one Borssk Fey'la figure.

Jargo
09-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Whooooooooooooooo?

Kidhuman
09-23-2006, 04:32 PM
My money is on one Borssk Fey'la figure.

Ditto for me&

Whooooooooooooooo?

He is from EU and was in the Thrawn trilogy&

Tycho
09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Borssk Fey'lya would be cool. So would the Bothan Spy Master from SOTE - forgot his name for the moment. You know who I'm talking about. A Bothan soldier would round off the really necessary Bothans for an EU collection, though a Bothan female (from Rogue Squadron comics) might be interesting - but we need Hobbie and Janson figures to try and date them ;)

Jargo
09-23-2006, 08:51 PM
mmm still means absolutely nothing to me. Only thing i know about thrawn is that he has a blue head. and red eyes. and some stupid critter round his neck. but repainting the figure of him gave me a background crowd filler Imperial officer. Since dumped.

Only thing i know about the EU Bothans is that facially they look like a cross between a German shepherd dog and a Llama.

Tycho
09-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I kind of thought of a cross between a cat and a goat, myself.

Jargo
09-23-2006, 09:35 PM
depends who draws them.

pbarnard
09-25-2006, 12:03 PM
It will probably be based loosely off one of the WotC designs either for the miniatures or in the artwork to many of their books since they've already gone through the aproval process.

Tycho, the name you seek: Koth Melan. Either way, it's one of the most talked about aliens but never seen.

Tycho
09-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks Banard - you were right: Koth Melan rings a bell.

I think that Lucas threw out bones like that ("Bothans in ROTJ - namesake mention only") just to feed his marketing / licensing industry. A whole WOTC game could be sold out of "Bothan Spy Net," or a book could be written. Look no further than Aurra Sing for another example.

Darth Jax
09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Look no further than Aurra Sing for another example.

but aurra actually has a split second of screen time. bothans are only mentioned - we never have any more information from the movies than when referenced by another character.

Tycho
09-25-2006, 10:08 PM
"Seluca Meya has fallen and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity." (spelling problems aside.)

Quinlan Vos is rumored to be a figure next year as well - but only mentioned in the movie - well, alright his onscreen inspiration was seen in Mos Espa in TPM. But it's a similar thing.

The Lucas merchandising machine working overtime.

Darth Jax
09-26-2006, 12:43 AM
darth plageuis would be a better example, if he should ever get a figure. we have a single mention of him in ROTS (and upcoming EU story) but no movie appearance to judge a likeness from.

with vos there is a complete backstory in the comics and yes his appearance is based on a blink-and-you-missed-it character from TPM. ventriss makes an appearance in the clone wars cartoons, but has no movie mention

pbarnard
09-26-2006, 09:33 AM
darth plageuis would be a better example, if he should ever get a figure. we have a single mention of him in ROTS (and upcoming EU story) but no movie appearance to judge a likeness from.

with vos there is a complete backstory in the comics and yes his appearance is based on a blink-and-you-missed-it character from TPM. ventriss makes an appearance in the clone wars cartoons, but has no movie mention

Except Ventress and Durge appeared months before in the comics before the Clone Wars cartoon.

evenflow
09-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I think its about time we get a bothan, now we just need Yarna :)

2-1B
09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
How goofy is that - they'll actually make a Bothan before they'll make Yarna...odd. :ermm:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-29-2006, 12:37 AM
but aurra actually has a split second of screen time. bothans are only mentioned - we never have any more information from the movies than when referenced by another character.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that is a Bothan piloting the air taxi in the scene that was added to the Episode I DVD.

El Chuxter
09-29-2006, 01:44 AM
No, Lucas himself denied that one. It's a hairy crocodile alien creature thing, which makes a brief appearance on the Separatist Council in AOTC. Though it looks pretty dead on like the EU Bothans.

Battle Droid
09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
It's a hairy crocodile alien creature thing, which makes a brief appearance on the Separatist Council in AOTC.

That's a Holwuff.

Jargo
09-29-2006, 10:27 AM
A what? Says who? TELL ME!!!