PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro was going to release the Turbo Tank.

Battle Droid
09-23-2006, 11:36 AM
From, http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=5183.180

2) What is the top 3 things that Hasbro has wanted to do, but were shot down, whether it be by LFL, costs, time, etc?

Usually cost, time, and item count limitations are the culprits in having to lay aside a good idea. For 2007, there are two concepts we wanted to pursue but couldn't make work at the time: 1) Poster packs, built around the original theatrical posters matched to 3-3/4" figures, was a victim of item count and costing. These were conceived for '07 because of the widespread anticipation of the 30th Anniversary, but because of their size and cost we had to put them aside. We may look at this some time in the future, possibly as an exclusive farther down the road; and 2) A 3-3/4" Turbo Tank. Yes, it will pain some people to hear that we were working on a model that will not make it to market in 2007, but we just couldn't make the timing work. Now that we are looking at the animation, we will re-visit which large-size hero vehicle or playset we do. It may not be the Turbo Tank first...but we love this vehicle and will eventually get to it...patience will be rewarded.

Kidhuman
09-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Well that bites, at least it wasnt an AT-TE they were working on, I would be more pi55ed&

Slicker
09-23-2006, 12:30 PM
From the sound of that answer it seems like we may be getting the Turbo Tank in 2008.&

kool-aid killer
09-23-2006, 02:16 PM
The good news appears to be that we will be getting a large size vehicle or playset (Death Star?) within a year or two. and that the turbo tank is somewhere down the line. Thats better than hearing that it wont ever happen.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Even if the Turbo Tank was the same size as their Sandcrawler, that would be nice. They're really getting excited about the animation, though, aren't they?

Tycho
09-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Both the TurboTank and AT-TE would be awesome!

Meanwhile, the Separatists have stuff they need to do, which would require less shelf-space and a lower price-point for customers:

large Homing Spider Droid (Geonosis)
Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (Kashyyyk)
Clone Swamp Speeder (Kashyyyk)
Wookiee Catamaran (Kashyyyk)
Gunship Delivery Vehicle (retool existing gunship, Geonosis)
Gungan Bongo Sub (Naboo)
Ody Mandrell's pit droid firing Podracer (Tatooine)
Teemto Pagules spin-out crashing Podracer (Tatooine)
Mars Guo's exploding engine podracer (Tatooine)

(I know that Gasgano and Dud Bolt need their vehicles, but these others did stuff in the movies that could run as a cheap toy action feature).

Anakin's racer could even be re-released with a revamped spin-out feature - twist the starboard engine knob to make the pod spin upside down repeatedly (when detached from the port engine cable).

Sebulba's racer is pretty complete the way it is.

Other low price points could include:

Lars Family Landspeeder (Tatooine)
Rebel Pilot Ground Transport (Yavin or Hoth)
Clone AT-PT (Fallucia or Mygeeto)

Mid-range could be a covertible star yacht for Padme, with parts to make both the AOTC and ROTS crafts. Folks would buy 2 on many occasions (I would).

Jargo
09-23-2006, 09:57 PM
That the multi-wheeled thing? leftover design from ESB battle of Hoth re-used.

Kidhuman
09-23-2006, 09:59 PM
It was in ROTS, looked like an AT-TE on wheels basically.&

click me & (http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/turbotank/index.html)

Jargo
09-23-2006, 10:08 PM
ah so my memory isn't so bad then.

incidentally why do all your posts end with an ampersand?

dindae
09-23-2006, 11:10 PM
They're really getting excited about the animation, though, aren't they?

Yeah they are but if you are looking to market to kids there is no better way than with a hit cartoon. If it is half as good as the clone wars episodes it will be pretty good. I still hoping they will be something I would like to watch. The fact that they were working on this for a release this year makes me really eager to see what we are getting next year.

Turbowars
09-23-2006, 11:16 PM

Yeah, no crap what's up with that?

Kidhuman
09-23-2006, 11:18 PM

What ever do you mean?&

Tycho
09-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah, no crap what's up with that?

You know, I asked him a month ago and never got a real answer either.

I was going to take it out on him by ending every one of my posts with "Mouse Droid," but I forget. Besides, I try to make intelligent points (some of the time) and it spoils them being taken seriously if I make one of my religious or political points and then end my post with "Mouse Droid."

Besides, I've seen KH slip up and forget to put the "&" symbol after his post now and then, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Besides, I can annoy everyone here just by posting, so I don't need to add anything extra. "False / True" usually does it! :D

oh, and MOUSE DROID!

Phantom-like Menace
09-24-2006, 12:05 AM
From the sound of that answer it seems like we may be getting the Turbo Tank in 2008.&

Agreed. I can't get too worked up when that all but promises it will come out as soon as they can make it viable. Besides, I still have two AT-ATs to buy this year and have no idea how to make that affordable.

Tycho
09-24-2006, 12:11 AM
How were you going to use 2 (two) AT-AT's?

I pulled Hoth off with 1 and 1 AT-ST (vintage so I didn't have grass stains painted on the feet).

Your idea interests me though - because I always like to hear about someone doing something different.

I turned down more AT-ATs even when TRU cleared them out for $10 each back in '99 I think. (I bought them, but for a friend of mine who I only charged my own cost to).

TheDarthVader
09-24-2006, 12:17 AM
It seems like Hasbro has been slacking in the vehicle department lately. I mean, they couldn't get a turbo tank released in time? C'mon. They are a toy company with deep pockets. They can do it!
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Tycho
09-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Supposedly, we're getting the V-wing and Sith Infiltrator next year - but we've yet to see any pictures still.

Phantom-like Menace
09-24-2006, 02:17 AM
How were you going to use 2 (two) AT-AT's?

The number is arbitrary. I showed up at TRU the day after they sold out of them for $10 back when, and I would have happily purchased as many as they had at that price.

How would I plan to display them? I don't have any specific plans for them. I'll stand them up in the corner of the extra bedroom if I have to. However, there is a guy on anotheR Site who has turned cheap The Corps tanks into pretty cool hover tanks. I want to get four of these tanks and modify them into hover tanks, and if they were displayed in formation with AT-ATs, a 2-1 ratio of tanks to walkers sounds just about right. Since I'm not too concerned about whether or not AT-AT walkers could have existed during the clone wars (scouts and speeder bikes did, so I don't care about detractors), I think they would look cool as the core of a Clone Wars armored formation. I'd probably be looking to get a few more AT-RTs (eight total, including those I already have) for a recon component. I have the floor space in the extra bedroom to put down some form of wooden base onto which I would then display two AT-ATs, four hover tanks, eight AT-RTs, and some of my clones which otherwise are just standing around due to the lack of armored vehicles.

Tycho
09-24-2006, 02:23 AM
That sounds way cool. Please post some pictures when you get that completed. I understand it may be a while. It sounds like the hovertanks double as your swamp speeders?

BTW: there were AT-ATs in the Clone Wars - they're shown being used on Jabiim in the Dark Horse Comics.

Phantom-like Menace
09-24-2006, 02:57 AM
That sounds way cool. Please post some pictures when you get that completed. I understand it may be a while. It sounds like the hovertanks double as your swamp speeders?

I'll see what I can do on getting it together and taking pictures. As you say understatedly, it may be a while. It depends not only on my swinging finances for AT-ATs before TRU stops selling them but also finding enough tanks, finding fodder for the tanks that is not only cheap but duplicable for four tanks, and finding time around two jobs to get the customizing done. I don't really think of the tanks as replacing swamp speeders because I would add swamp speeders to the mix if Hasbro were to put some out.

BTW: there were AT-ATs in the Clone Wars - they're shown being used on Jabiim in the Dark Horse Comics.

Awesome. Ah, Expanded Universe, how I love that you indulge me. So there it is: a Clone Wars armored collumn around two AT-AT's. Four swamp speeders and two Turbo Tanks would be welcome additions if Hasbro were nice enough. However, if Hasbro were to put out AT-TE's, I would have to replace the AT-ATs with AT-TEs, not because I would consider them "more accurate" necessarily but because they would probably become my two favorite toys, and they would have to be in the coolest display. The AT-ATs could then better be left to OT era display.

JediTricks
09-24-2006, 03:04 AM
Gah, they were considering the Clone Sucko Tank but not the AT-TE?!? The Turbo Tank is not only the stupidest vehicle name in Star Wars, but it's the only traditionally-wheeled vehicle in the series as well, Joe Johnston's original design was so boring, the only way it could be saved is to turn it around and give it legs. And it's barely in the movie anyway, at least the AT-TE gets play in 2 movies. Plus, LEGO released the Turbo Tank last year and it bombed, Hasbro released it as a Titanium 3" vehicle and it's the only one that sold poorly.

Tycho
09-24-2006, 03:33 AM
I think they're going to try using the AT-AT's body and adding the wheels and maybe some changes to the cockpits and weaponry.

Somehow that would be cheaper than making the AT-TE???

Phantom-like Menace
09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Gah, they were considering the Clone Sucko Tank but not the AT-TE?!? The Turbo Tank is not only the stupidest vehicle name in Star Wars, but it's the only traditionally-wheeled vehicle in the series as well, Joe Johnston's original design was so boring, the only way it could be saved is to turn it around and give it legs.

If I had a choice of the two, I would put out the AT-TE too, so I agree it was an odd choice. As far as the vehicle itself, I've got no real problem with it, but half of its appeal is its massive size, and the Hasbro offering is going to reduce that considerably. Otherwise, with flip-out missile launchers and lots of cool action features (vehicles and playsets: the only places action features are welcome Hasbro!), it would be a welcome place to stick some of my clones. As I mentioned above, I'd be inclined to get two regardless of size issues.

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I think they're going to try using the AT-AT's body and adding the wheels and maybe some changes to the cockpits and weaponry.

Somehow that would be cheaper than making the AT-TE???That wouldn't work at all, the AT-AT body is significantly different from the Turbo Tank, it would have to be so extensively retooled that it'd be cheaper to start from scratch, it'd be like trying to retool the X-wing to make an ARC-170.

Tycho
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
The latest Q&A from one site or another, marks the second time Hasbro has brought up their desire to produce the Turbo Tank. I totally see this as the next (New) large vehicle we're getting if they get the chance. They've probably called everyone up to Lucy Wilson at Lucasfilm begging them to feature the Turbo Tank in the animated TV series so they can release it.

That's cool if you ask me! Large vehicles I'd like to see include:

Jabba's Sailbarge
Imperial Landing Craft
Sandcrawler re-designed
Millennium Falcon
Radiant-7
Senator Amidala's flying wing
TurboTank
AT-TE!!!!!!!!
Large Homing Spider Droid
Droid Gunship (I dont' know if it was that big)

probably more. I didn't include capital ships, as they'd be really big compared to a turbo tank.

jedi master sal
10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I still contend that this vehicle would make a cool and fairly accurate toy chest. It WOULD have the wheels on it! It WOULD open up. Not just to store toys, but have interactive environments in them, like both cockpits.

Same goes for Jabba's Sailbarge as a toy chest idea. Remove the sails on top when you want to open it up and store things, then attach them back on.

Large vehicles CAN work. Hasbro just needs to become MORE inventive with how they are going to accomplish it. At least making these interactive toy chests, also gives parents a place to store all (or much) or their kids SW collection. As well we get some cool large sized vehicles.

Make these "some assembly required," then the box needn't be as large. Then maybe retailors like WM and Target would bite. Otherwise, it's yet another reason for TRU to have an exclusive on it.

Tycho
10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Sal, you and I usually DON'T disagree, but here I'm going to have to.

I don't want Hasbro to dare sacrafice play environment features for action figure storage in a toy-chest type of manner!

You of all people, with your armies, should know that toy chests don't work for Star Wars anyway. As a kid even, I wanted multiple troops and there wasn't as much variety then as there is today (Kenner vs. Hasbro). So if a sailbarge was a viable toy chest / carrying case, a kid would need a FLEET of them to store the modern SW collection.

The original Rebel Transport http://www.rebelscum.com/vintRebelTransport.asp

held only 24 action figures in hardly a play-pattern environment anyway. Each year, the modern line churns out nearly 60 figures nowadays (granted some are repacks that loose collectors don't bother with) - but you can't include play features and hold even 60 figures in a toy chest concept type of capital vehicle. I'd opt to build my own Sailbarge or Star Destroyer if that was the offering. (I already did build my own Blockade Runner as many of you are aware).

Furthermore, a themed toy chest vehicle (Jabba's, Imperial, GAR, whatever) that did hold 60 some figures, could hardly keep up with even its own genre - like as if you were to store Jabba The Hutt related figures in a sailbarge case. Out of some 60 figures in a year's release, maybe even 10 can be loosely affiliated with Jabba, and perhaps only 2 or so are that scene specific (Boba Fett can be related to Cloud City, the Star Destroyer, etc. but Klaatu is very "Jabba's.")

So I don't want to see Hasbro go there.

Yeah, I'm OK with underscaling things like the Sith Infiltrator that are not really important to me (I just want it done so Darth Maul can ride in it) - but if you're going to make a vehicle like the Sailbarge, then make it. It's not a carry case / toy chest - it's a vehicle / playset! (see the Black Pearl)

jedi master sal
10-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Sal, you and I usually DON'T disagree, but here I'm going to have to.

I don't want Hasbro to dare sacrafice play environment features for action figure storage in a toy-chest type of manner!

Who says I'd sacrifce play environments?? I see that I haven't fully explain my vision for these. I'll try to in this post, but I'm at work at the moment and might not be able to accurately reflect what I'm thinking for these toy chest.

You of all people, with your armies, should know that toy chests don't work for Star Wars anyway.

??? I know there's NO way these would work for ME specifically, that is to say to hold all of my armies, but I'm the exceptino to the rule here. I DON'T see kids owning hundreds of SW figures, unless their parents are huge fans/collectors as well. I think one vehicle based toy chest per movie would do for the majority of kids, and I dare say many collectors as well. (That is if Hasbro allows for maximum storage space, WHILE still having play options.)

Quickly the six would be:
TPM - MTT
AOTC - SPHA-t
ROTS - Turbo Tank
ANH - Sandcrawler
ESB - Rebel Transport
ROTJ - Jabba's Sail Barge

Now much of the insides of these WOULD be hollow to allow for maximum storage, HOWEVER, there would be various parts of them that would be actual playsets.

Briefly again these would be:
TPM - MTT (opening cockpit to hold a few Pilot Battle Droids-much like the action fleet playset, plus it would have the round door at the front that could open, and maybe even a pullout droid rack that could be detachable to hold more toys inside.) This toy chest rolls.
AOTC - SPHA-t (The bridge are-seen in the movie-at the top)
ROTS - Turbo Tank (Both cockpits are playsets with sliding doors, pilot chair, and controls/computers and the "walls" of the main body of the Turbo tank are lined with "benches" for figures to sit on. Could even have benches in the middle as well to have more troopers sit on.) This toy chest rolls.
ANH - Sandcrawler The bridge opens, the front door opens, a side panel comes off, the top comes off. When viewed from the side, the Sandcrawler has THREE levels. Each with different Jawa work stations and droid holding areas. This toy chest rolls.
ESB - Rebel Transport A reissue of the vintage would be fine, but I'd prefer a NEW version. More sleek and not at tall as it is wide like the vintage one. Who says figures have to sit? You can "cram" in more figures if they stand and at the size I'm thinking, you should be able to get at least 50 figures in there, if not more.
ROTJ - Jabba's Sail Barge Comes with various peices that move or can be removed. Many of the side panels could be lifted and locked into place so as to look like the scene from teh Sarlaac pit. A good portion of the side can be removed and be able to place 30-40 figures in on TWO levels. The top "sails" and deck can be lifted off so as to have access to the storage/playset area. The top level in the toy chest looks much like the movie, while the lower deck is mostly just for storage. This toy chest rolls.

As a kid even, I wanted multiple troops and there wasn't as much variety then as there is today (Kenner vs. Hasbro). So if a sailbarge was a viable toy chest / carrying case, a kid would need a FLEET of them to store the modern SW collection.

The original Rebel Transport http://www.rebelscum.com/vintRebelTransport.asp

Not a Fleet, just the six mentioned above-buy one a year and people can afford it. Especially if to parents their kid has somewhere to store their toys and yet it has a function as a toy/playset.

held only 24 action figures in hardly a play-pattern environment anyway. Each year, the modern line churns out nearly 60 figures nowadays (granted some are repacks that loose collectors don't bother with) - but you can't include play features and hold even 60 figures in a toy chest concept type of capital vehicle. I'd opt to build my own Sailbarge or Star Destroyer if that was the offering. (I already did build my own Blockade Runner as many of you are aware).

You're assuming that kids would buy all the figures in a year? Look we're not talking about storing EVERYTHING. Certainly there's NO way we collectors could do that, but dang, these toy chest would go a long way in cleaning things up and giving us some much needed room space back.

Furthermore, a themed toy chest vehicle (Jabba's, Imperial, GAR, whatever) that did hold 60 some figures, could hardly keep up with even its own genre - like as if you were to store Jabba The Hutt related figures in a sailbarge case. Out of some 60 figures in a year's release, maybe even 10 can be loosely affiliated with Jabba, and perhaps only 2 or so are that scene specific (Boba Fett can be related to Cloud City, the Star Destroyer, etc. but Klaatu is very "Jabba's.")

So why do you HAVE to store just Sailbarge related figures in it?? Come on man, have some imagination AND practical sense. If these are storage units as wellas toys, then you store OTHER toys in it too...

So I don't want to see Hasbro go there.

Yeah, I'm OK with underscaling things like the Sith Infiltrator that are not really important to me (I just want it done so Darth Maul can ride in it) - but if you're going to make a vehicle like the Sailbarge, then make it. It's not a carry case / toy chest - it's a vehicle / playset! (see the Black Pearl)

Well, I'm not talking about the Infiltrator in this respect and we've gone over that ad naseum in the other thread dedicated to it.

As for these MUCH bigger ships, there will be no other way beyond a miracle decision from Hasbro, that we would have them made, unless they were something like toy chest.

Again since much of the insides are hollow, they could be disassembled in the box so as to save space on retail shelves. As well as save money on the packaging.

Tycho
10-09-2006, 01:47 PM
We'll agree to (strongly) disagree.

As for these MUCH bigger ships, there will be no other way beyond a miracle decision from Hasbro, that we would have them made, unless they were something like toy chest.

I'm going to keep hoping for a miracle or build one myself.

jedi master sal
10-09-2006, 05:39 PM
We'll agree to (strongly) disagree.

Ah, has the love died??

Shall I get JediPartnr for you. He's always up for giving you a hug. (We have proof in pictures!!!)

S'okay by me if we disagree. Really I WOULD prefer a toy version, but a scaled toy that would do justice to the vehicle would be very expensive. That's why I propose the toy chest idea. Much cheaper, we still get the vehicle and it has elements of a playset built into it, plus it can store toys. Wins all around to me.

pbarnard
10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm still holding out hope they'll fix yet another DK Visual Dictionary/Cross section book screw up and give it the name it's had for the past 15+ years from WEG and WOTC, A5 JUGGERNAUT!!!

El Chuxter
10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
It should come with a CommTech chip.

"You silly Wookiees cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, b****!"