PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see a George Lucas figure?

hairless chewie
08-22-2001, 10:21 AM
What do you think about George immortalized in plastic? Something to take out your frustration on when you pay $100 for that Eopie.

Rick was in Phantom, when will we see George? Maybe as a Jedi Knight that gets stuck down by Anakin. That would be pretty cool!

JEDIpartner
08-22-2001, 10:36 AM
For all we know Uncle George may have been in some of the films as an alien with a mask on!

I dunno if we will ever see a Hasbro likeness of GWL, but who knows! I certainly am not looking for one to be made. I passed on that Asian one that came out a few months back.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2001, 11:06 AM
A GL doll has already been made. A few months ago, SSG posted pictures of the doll made and marketed by some company in Asia. Georgy Boy was all decked out, complete with flannel shirt and specs.

As far as SWAF go I doubt we'll ever see one of him. Although a good substitute would be to modify the Porkins figure with a good paint job and beard dye to make it look like flannel boy.

JediCole
08-22-2001, 11:14 AM
#1 This is George Lucas, not Alfred Hitchcock. There is no precedent for him appearing in a film he directs, so don't throw out your spine craning your neck as you cast about to catch a glimpse of him in Episode II.

#2 Personally I hope we do not get a George Lucas figure. Sure he is the creator of the universe we all love, but he has no place within that universe. A George Lucas figure would be right up there with those E.T. senators in my point of view. Sure it was fun to spot the reference, but at the same time it diminishes the universe itself. The presence of the E.T. senators for example brings that "galaxy far, far away" a whole lot closer. I remember when I was a kid being so annoyed at people between Star Wars and Empire (back then it was not "A New Hope" yet) who claimed that in the sequel they would come to Earth. People don't seem to realize how brilliant that opening line really is, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...". That says so much about what made Star Wars special in science fiction. NO connection to EARTH! I honestly think that is why so many other science fiction movies and attempted sagas that followed were so bad (apart from poor scripts, lackluster effects, and bad actors), they were all inexorably connected to Earth. Star Wars is chock full of humans, but they are not "Earthlings".

Fulit
08-22-2001, 11:33 AM
I agree with Jedi Cole, I have absolutely no use for a GL figure. I wouldn't care if he wrote himself into one of the movies, they are his, he can do whatever he wants (and has), as long as it wasn't TOO stupid.

The Bald Ewok
08-22-2001, 12:09 PM
If I am not wrong, wasnt there a contest to find a GL head on a Death Star Gunner. I cant remember exactly how it went, but I remember in a magazine, that if you pulled on the gunners helmet and you saw GL's dome, you won some contest. Its been awhile, so I really cant recall the details.

Rollo Tomassi
08-22-2001, 01:29 PM
If they make a G. Lu figure, they should make a bunch of crew members like a camera man, and sound guy with a boom mike. Then you could make little dioramas of them SHOOTING the film. Hang a blue screen behind your Obi Wan and Qui Gon figures and viola...

Fulit
08-22-2001, 01:40 PM
HAHA! That's a great idea, Rollo! That reminds me of the scene in Spaceballs.

bigbarada
08-22-2001, 01:54 PM
If I remember correctly, most of the crew was getting in on the fun of making cameos in TPM, but when they tried to get ol'George to jump in front of the camera he declined. "Too corny," was his reply.

r2dee2
08-22-2001, 02:05 PM
There have been a few George Lucas figures ..... from a certain point of view:)
12" Lucas Figure (http://fan.starwars.com/LucasForce/lucas.html)
MicroMachine figure from the Action Fleet TIE Interceptor (http://fan.starwars.com/microforce/files/mmtieinterceptorgeorgelucashead5f.jpg)

Lobito
08-22-2001, 03:47 PM
It would be interesting to put GL into a rebel pilot outfit with his helmet and all, the trick is that we find that after watching the movie more than 3 times. (EPII or EPIII).

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2001, 04:09 PM
I think we're more likely to get George Lucas signature flannel shirts (R) than the GL action figure. No offense, but it doesn't look like you can have much action with Boy George in the shape he's in.

evenflow
08-22-2001, 05:17 PM
Well, I would buy one. They could make it a fanclub exclusive or something. I do have a 12 inch Lucas doll that came out a while ago. Looks just like him.

SirSteve
08-22-2001, 06:24 PM
The last time I checked, George wasn't in any Star Wars movies so until (and if) he is, don't count on a Hasbro figure of him.

;)

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-22-2001, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
"Too corny," was his reply.

I wish this "too corny" instinct of his would have kicked in more often! (Like when he was writing dialogue for Jar-Jar?)

This idea, along with the idea of a "crispy" Owen and Beru two-pack, is one that has come up again and again over the years and I hope it never happens. Save the plastic for actual characters from the movies.

Neo Solo
08-22-2001, 11:27 PM
Crispy Owen and Beru were not actual characters in the movie? How can you say that? They are the pivotal point of Luke's life. That is where his hatred for the Empire manifested itself. If he had not lived through that experience, seeing the brutal truth of the Empire, who knows. Maybe he would have taken his place at his father's side. Who knows.

All I know is, I WANT Crispy Owen and Beru two-pack... I DO NOT want double chined George on a card. What's up with that, anyway? My wife was asking me if he was sick when she saw him on TV. I think its just a slight weight problem.

JediTricks
08-23-2001, 12:13 AM
Either George is camera-shy, or he's full of poodoo. In ANH, they were almost broke and he needed extras and X-wing pilots, why didn't he just throw on a helmet and do a scene?

R2, it looks like your Action Fleet Lucas is better than mine:
http://209.197.117.27/databases/features/starwars/6/sub/9.4.3.jpg

JediCole
08-23-2001, 02:04 AM
Because even way back then George probably thought it was "too corny" to hop to the other side of the camera. Perhaps he felt that Hitchcock had somehow reduced his otherwise compelling psychological dramas to the point of ham-handed cornball romps with his obligatory on-screen cameos. Shows what a film school education will do to a guy.
And as for ham-handed cornball romps, I agree about much of JarJar's dialogue. In fact we should have a thread on all the "cornier" aspects of the series to date. Like say...the TITLE FOR EPISODE II! Star Wars Episode II: The Can of Corn

GNT
08-23-2001, 02:48 AM
That George 12" doll was unofficial and that MM tie pilot George is sad thank god I never got them :rolleyes: :D

hairless chewie
08-23-2001, 02:55 AM
No, not the healthy George that he has become. The trim-living on Ramen George from the 70's is the one I mean. I don't think that George would cheapen himself by a bit cameo but in retrospect the Jedi idea for him is a little much. Maybe as a speeder pilot or mechanic in the background. Just a little easter egg for the fans.

GNT
08-23-2001, 03:12 AM
Maybe if our heros go to the Cantina in EP2 or 2,Geoge could play a younger Wuher :D

Starfig873
08-23-2001, 07:55 AM
I don't think Georgie-poo is surly enough to be Wuhur ;)

Still, you guys are no fun. :) I think it'd be funny to have a George Lucas figure. And he could come with Rick McCallum with "butt-kissing" feature. It'd be great! :D

JediMaster
08-23-2001, 08:08 AM
Ha! I totally agree with that "action feature" for the McCallum fig. Oh, and don't forget the CommTech chip... just use the exact same one that they put in with the Georgie figure... y'know, with the EXACT same lines, as McCallum just regurgitates whatever Lucas says...

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-23-2001, 04:44 PM
Sorry, Neo, looking back on that post it does look like I'm saying they weren't characters. I only meant that last sentence in regard to the Lucas figure. If there were some Lars Homestead playset I'd go along with Crispy Owen and Beru as pack-ins. I just don't want to see them as an offering in themselves. The butt-kissing Rick McCallum is funny. And I believe I heard when Indy II came out that Lucas and Speilberg appear in the background of the airport scene. Never seen them, though.

El Chuxter
08-23-2001, 05:08 PM
Georgie is in TPM. His face appears on a tapestry in Amidala's palace.

Neo Solo
08-23-2001, 08:05 PM
I'll let ya in on a little secret. George stood in for Dave Prowse and actually was in the Vader costume when Darth told Luke he was his father. Yeah. It's true.

master jedi
08-23-2001, 08:27 PM
I hope you don't really believe that Neo Solo. Lucas just told Prowse to say 'Obi-Wan is your father'.

Neo Solo
08-23-2001, 11:58 PM
Hey Master Jedi, is that EVER a cool Yoda Schwarzenegger pic!

Honestly, no, I don't believe it. I wrote it as a joke. I don't think I should have posted it though. Now some poor unsuspecting Soul will see that, and not yet fully realizing the full magnitude of the Star Wars Universe, may just actually believe it.

Oops:rolleyes:

Darth Cruel
08-24-2001, 01:54 AM
I seem to remember a story I was told about Kenner making a single 12" GLJK figure and presenting it to GL. Can you SSGGs shed some light?

GNT
08-24-2001, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Georgie is in TPM. His face appears on a tapestry in Amidala's palace.

I believe its in the video game only:)

Fulit
08-24-2001, 11:16 AM
I know it's off topic from the last few posts, but has anyone seen the Crispy Owen and Beru custom on Ebay? Pretty silly.

Starfig873
08-24-2001, 12:29 PM
No haven't seen those. But I love ToyFare's (the number 1 toy magazine) versions. Nothing like cooked up Aunts and Uncles to keep up a appetite :D

Utinni
08-26-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
I hope you don't really believe that Neo Solo. Lucas just told Prowse to say 'Obi-Wan is your father'.

Actually, the line was "Obi Wan killed your father."

Hence Lukie-poo going NOOOOOOO!!!! That's impossible! And it also fits with what had just been said before it. "He told me enough. He told you killed him."

Luke wouldn't have had that reaction if he found out Obi Wan WAS his father. he'd be like "oh."

But, either way, the line was dubbed over intentionally.

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 01:29 PM
You're right Utinni, because shortly after the line was leaked to the press, a British magazine printed an article with a title something like "Obi-Wan True Villian in Star Wars Movie." Probably not the exact wording but you get the idea.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-27-2001, 01:52 PM
I laughed my behind off when I saw that cutom on EBay! Very funny, and something everyone can do at home!

Lobito
07-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Well...i believe Jorg Sacul answered this question. The bad part is that they made tons of variants...oh hasbro hasbro...:D

macewindu87
07-26-2002, 02:46 PM
I think that there should be a George Lucas figure because every movie wouldn't be complete without their maker, and the same should go to the figures they wouldn't be complete without the maker.
mace:crazed:

hango fett
07-26-2002, 07:35 PM
good point, mace. but the jorg sacul figure is george lucas.
hango:)